Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4546474849505152535455...LastNext
Current Page: 50 of 106
Re: OT: The Who stuff
Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: January 16, 2019 18:48

any Who presale codes floating around?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-17 00:48 by buffalo7478.

Posted by: marianna ()
Date: January 16, 2019 18:49

Didn't Keith pass out drunk at some Bay Area show in the '70s? A doctor was summoned from the audience to play the drums. I don't know what year that was, though.

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: January 16, 2019 18:50

SimonN
timbernardis
what time do tix go on sale on friday?

And to Mister DDDD and ALL OF YOU: the Who is as great a live band as the Stones, period. The single greatest concert by ANY band I have ever seen was the Who at Winterland (capacity 5,400) in San Francisco March 1976. It just took my breath away, so powerful, incredible, indescribable, beyond words ...

plexi

Hi Tim,

I know that jealousy and envy aren't to be encouraged, but @#$%& hell- that must have been some show, hah-hah!
This unreal shot by Mike Zagaris is one of my favourite captures by any photographer, anytime...

Wow...

Cheers,

Simon.

That pic is pure dynamite.

Wifey and I were just staring down this very photo last Saturday afternoon...
It hangs in the Detroit Varvatos store sporting a hefty price tag.

[www.johnvarvatos.com]

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: January 16, 2019 19:10

marianna
Didn't Keith pass out drunk at some Bay Area show in the '70s? A doctor was summoned from the audience to play the drums. I don't know what year that was, though.

That was in 1973 in San Francisco, at the Cow Palace. The whole concert is on YouTube.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: January 16, 2019 19:25

timbernardis

And to Mister DDDD and ALL OF YOU: the Who is as great a live band as the Stones, period. The single greatest concert by ANY band I have ever seen was the Who at Winterland (capacity 5,400) in San Francisco March 1976. It just took my breath away, so powerful, incredible, indescribable, beyond words ...

plexi

Hey!

I was at one of those shows!

You are correct...words cannot describe how good they were.

The cover of the Maximum R&B box set was taken at the show I saw, possibly by the same photographer who squeezed himself into the airspace right in front of me just before the show started.

Saw The Who two more times... with Kenney Jones. I'm a fan of his, but it really wasn't "THE WHO" without Moon.

Posted by: SimonN ()
Date: January 16, 2019 19:41

loog droog
timbernardis

plexi

Hey!

I was at one of those shows!

You are correct...words cannot describe how good they were.

The cover of the Maximum R&B box set was taken at the show I saw, possibly by the same photographer who squeezed himself into the airspace right in front of me just before the show started.

Saw The Who two more times... with Kenney Jones. I'm a fan of his, but it really wasn't "THE WHO" without Moon.

Hi LD,

How about that- this is why I love this site...it's the wealth of knowledge and experience that y'all do got, hah-hah!

The photo on the '30 Years...' box-set was taken by the equally-splendid Mr Neal Preston...a corker too!

[www.prestonpictures.com]

You lucky, lucky people: even though The Who were on the down slope really, they still played like maniacs on their last real tour. Power and volume...power and volume...

Cheers,

Simon.

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: January 16, 2019 19:42

timbernardis
getting conflicting e mails -- I have seen Live Nation site says the general sale is this Friday but Ticketmaster, which sends you over to Altitude Tickets, says Jan 24th. Dont know what to think.

plexi

it depends what show you are going to

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 16, 2019 20:16

Currently looking at tix for the San Diego show on Ticketmaster, and there's this:

"Every pair of tickets purchased online includes 1 CD copy of the forthcoming album by The Who.
Approximately 24-48 hours after purchase, you will receive an additional email with instructions on how to redeem your album.
US/CAN purchasers only. One CD per pair of online tickets. Not valid for Fan to Fan Resale".

New album guaranteed!

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: January 16, 2019 20:23

You want to sit behind this guy at Who concert so you can see.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: mosthigh ()
Date: January 17, 2019 02:39

Holy Jeez! Tickets are Stones-worthy pricey.

$390 (Canadian, that's about $295 USD) for aisle floor seats. I paid $180 CAD last time in Vancouver BC.

Should be called the 'Moving On Up in Ticket Prices Tour'.yawning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-17 02:41 by mosthigh.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: January 17, 2019 02:53

Bought 2 tix to Vancouver via Amex Presales. Got endzone upper bowl for $53 plus service charges to equal $70 Cdn. Pretty reasonable. Upper bowl has 15 rows, mine are row 11 which is the first row of the cheapest seats. Row below mine is $105 and then first few rows are $130 I think.
Lower bowl and floor are more expensive, wasn't looking at spending a lot since I just saw them a couple years ago.

Date: January 17, 2019 03:06

Those "end of row" or aisle seats are quite a scam!
They go four seats in for Vancouver (how is seat 3 and 4 considered aisle?), and you have to buy them in pairs - anything to make some extra money!
Looking at San Diego again, and "premium aisle seating" on floor is $333 and only go two seats in, but again you have to buy in pairs. Wondering what the cost of non-VIP inner seats will be?
Feeling pretty good about my Amex presale $89's half way back at Hollywood Bowl - looks like the aisle seats in the section I'm in are going for $109 .
Not sure what closer sections are going for yet - only see Who Fan Club presale and lots of different expensive VIP's.
Soundcheck VIP 6th row going for $750, and also first couple rows soundcheck VIP's going for $1,200!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-17 03:08 by Hairball.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: January 17, 2019 03:07

big news about to break; the dream reunion no one dared to dream.
no you didn't.
paul (the cute one) and ringo (the peace and love freak) are about to superdupergroup us and join up with Roger and Pete!!
It's The Boo. Meet The Bootles. It's happening. most places won't print it.
they laughed me out of the New York Times building, so I'm bringing the scoop here. Zak is totally pissed. HE'S starting a group with Julian and it will
be called The Zootles. Pino's in on bass.
---

p.s.deep fans can pm me if they want the latest on The Kinks.
hoppy here to help. hhh.

(don't ask rocky d about it tho, he'll go on forever....)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-17 03:11 by hopkins.

Posted by: babyblue ()
Date: January 17, 2019 08:31

Hairball
Those "end of row" or aisle seats are quite a scam!
They go four seats in for Vancouver (how is seat 3 and 4 considered aisle?), and you have to buy them in pairs - anything to make some extra money!
Looking at San Diego again, and "premium aisle seating" on floor is $333 and only go two seats in, but again you have to buy in pairs. Wondering what the cost of non-VIP inner seats will be?
Feeling pretty good about my Amex presale $89's half way back at Hollywood Bowl - looks like the aisle seats in the section I'm in are going for $109 .
Not sure what closer sections are going for yet - only see Who Fan Club presale and lots of different expensive VIP's.
Soundcheck VIP 6th row going for $750, and also first couple rows soundcheck VIP's going for $1,200!!!

Hairball are you in Vancouver.

Date: January 17, 2019 08:49

babyblue

Hairball are you in Vancouver.

No I'm in Southern California.
I was looking at the Vancouver tickets because of mosthighs's previous post above.
Seems pricing structure varies between different venues - there's arena's, ampitheaters,and baseball stadiums!

Posted by: ron091 ()
Date: January 17, 2019 16:00

The Who are the greatest. I go to every tour since the 70's. But their prices have become Stonesesque. Here in Canada for 3rd row VIP package on the Quadrophenia tour in 2012, I paid $400. For 2nd row VIP in 2016 I paid $800. This time, 1st row VIP are $1200! Live Nation must have promised them the moon for 29 shows. And now the package only has TWO drink tickets instead of the unlimited drinks at the last two tours. That's crazy....I mean how much can it cost the promoter to give me 6 beer? $10-15 maybe? They care little for the fans but I won't blame the band. It's the promoter's greed

Posted by: babyblue ()
Date: January 17, 2019 16:07

Boy didn't know they are coming back.

Posted by: rbk ()
Date: January 17, 2019 17:12

buffalo7478
any Who presale codes floating around?

CELEBRATE

WHO19

Date: January 17, 2019 17:55

I just was charged $49.60 convenience for two tickets. Believe me they is nothing convenient about try to get tickets on line. Id rather stand 6 hours out in the cold like the good old days.

Posted by: ron091 ()
Date: January 17, 2019 18:41

The convenience fee and taxes on my $1200 ticket were $187 more. Good god.

Date: January 17, 2019 20:09

ron091
The Who are the greatest. I go to every tour since the 70's. But their prices have become Stonesesque. Here in Canada for 3rd row VIP package on the Quadrophenia tour in 2012, I paid $400. For 2nd row VIP in 2016 I paid $800. This time, 1st row VIP are $1200! Live Nation must have promised them the moon for 29 shows. And now the package only has TWO drink tickets instead of the unlimited drinks at the last two tours. That's crazy....I mean how much can it cost the promoter to give me 6 beer? $10-15 maybe? They care little for the fans but I won't blame the band. It's the promoter's greed

Did previous tour VIP's include soundcheck, and if so how was it?

I bought a VIP soundcheck package for Jeff Beck several years ago at the Greek Theatre in L.A. for apprx. $150 (litho, shirt, bag, etc. included). Have to say it was one of the most memorable experiences -
sitting in the first couple rows of a near empty ampitheater with apprx. 50 other people watching the master in a casual setting talking to us, cracking jokes, and making insane noises from his guitar for us.
But to pay $1200 or $750 for the Who (Hollywood Bowl VIP prices) seems astronomical - might be worth it though to see Pete smash his guitar and yell at Roger! winking smiley

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: January 17, 2019 22:00

Maybe they can cover Steve Miller Bland "Take the Money & Run"... grinning smiley

Date: January 17, 2019 22:20

ron091
The convenience fee and taxes on my $1200 ticket were $187 more. Good god.

I remember at one time there was no extra fee. Times have really changed

Posted by: marianna ()
Date: January 18, 2019 02:14

The convenience fees used to be between 75 cents and $1.50. Ticket prices were much cheaper, though. The Who cost around $15 in 1980 for a lower level arena seat.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: January 18, 2019 11:11

Big media blitz advertising the show in Seattle. I may go but it will be much closer to show if I buy tickets. It's strange, as I like the Who pretty much at the same level as the Stones but I'm not as excited about this tour as the Stones tour. Perhap because I just saw them a few years ago. That was a fantastic show with Pete on fire. The thing about the orchestra is that would tend to blunt the guitar outbursts I think. I'll be checking out early reports/tapes from earlier in the tour. Also, curious about new record. Endless Wire was underwhelming. This sort of smells like a cash grab to a certain extent by the promoter & band. I'd be much more interested in a mini residency in Vegas like Van Morrison has been doing. Smaller hall with great sound. Not a bad seat in the house. I am wearing out on the platinum seat concept too. Its just greed. Ticketmaster fees just keep going up & their service gets worse. When I got my Van tickets, the site wouldn't allow transaction. Kept trying & it finally worked but with $40 being added to a $90 ticket I would expect things to work. I will say that they did mail the tickets quickly. I got lucky on the Stones & was able to get a "standard" ticket. I think there needs to be an investigation into how these guys are operating. They are scalping their own product & its just not right. I remember when scalping was illegal! Smaller shows are so much easier. Think I'm going to bite on Dimmer Twins (Patterson Hood & Mike Cooley from Drive-by Truckers) at a club. Small ticket service with low fee. Seems much more straight forward & honest.

Date: January 18, 2019 19:36

Big media blitz advertising the show here in SoCal also with television advertisements, etc.

To borrow a phrase from a Bob Dylan tour poster - "Don't you dare miss it"!!!winking smiley

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: January 19, 2019 01:30

The Who: their UK singles ranked

[www.theguardian.com]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: mosthigh ()
Date: January 19, 2019 02:36

Looking at what's still available in Vancouver, I think they misjudged what people are willing to spend. You can still get 14th row floor center and there's still plenty of cheaper seats as well.

Methinks there will be bargains to be had closer to showdate.

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: January 19, 2019 02:49

Belated thanks RBK!

Posted by: ab ()
Date: January 19, 2019 04:17

Yeah, the venues for this Who tour seem a bit oversized for what they'll draw. They're playing Jiffy Lube Live in Bristol, VA, which holds about 15k in the pavilion and another 10k on the lawn. When they played there in 2000, the place wasn't even half full. Do they really think the orchestra will drive up demand that much?

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4546474849505152535455...LastNext
Current Page: 50 of 106

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1846
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home