Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...96979899100101102103104105106Next
Current Page: 103 of 106
Re: OT: The Who stuff
Posted by: yorkshirestone ()
Date: July 18, 2023 22:30

I’m in for Friday at st helens (rear standing, behind pitch seats) 50 quid

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: July 18, 2023 23:55

petewasbristol
Saw the Who in Badminton last night (it's 20 mins drive from my house...this does not happen very often!) And it was wonderful. I took my five year old son and also my mum and dad. With the orchestra it really does add something else to the show and we all came away very happy indeed. Now, if the Stones can come to Badminton next year that would be lovely...

I too was at Badminton on Sunday night, or should I say, Worcester Lodge, which is about 4 miles from Badminton village. I spent much of the day walking and/or getting soaked.

Since 2015, I’ve usually caught at least 1 stop on a Who tour and I scooped a very late dirt cheap but good ticket for this one the night before. After endless struggles to find the place I settled in my seat just as UB40 were finishing up.

All I can say is wow! These 2 old geezers give it their all, every single time and have never failed to deliver on any of the 7 times I’ve seen them. The orchestra add a certain something to the Tommy and Quadrophenia sets with the violinist excelling on the outro of Baba O’Reilly and with that big cheesy grin she knew it smiling smiley. That all said, my personal favourite part of the show is the middle band only section where they cranked out all the old hits one after the other, with the surprise inclusion of “I can’t explain” which I’ve only ever heard as show opener.

Roger mentioned that next year is their 60th anniversary and 60 years is enough but on this form hopefully they’ll do a 60th anniversary run somewhere.

My legs are still aching from all my walking on Sunday but I’m sure the exercise will do me good. Worth it? Every time! I wish I’d seen them a long time before 2015 because many Stones fans easily become Who fans too. They are such a good fit for us, I think! I’m strongly considering going to Sandringham at the end of August for what could be their final show!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-07-18 23:57 by grzegorz67.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: July 19, 2023 10:43

grzegorz67
petewasbristol
Saw the Who in Badminton last night (it's 20 mins drive from my house...this does not happen very often!) And it was wonderful. I took my five year old son and also my mum and dad. With the orchestra it really does add something else to the show and we all came away very happy indeed. Now, if the Stones can come to Badminton next year that would be lovely...

I too was at Badminton on Sunday night, or should I say, Worcester Lodge, which is about 4 miles from Badminton village. I spent much of the day walking and/or getting soaked.

Since 2015, I’ve usually caught at least 1 stop on a Who tour and I scooped a very late dirt cheap but good ticket for this one the night before. After endless struggles to find the place I settled in my seat just as UB40 were finishing up.

All I can say is wow! These 2 old geezers give it their all, every single time and have never failed to deliver on any of the 7 times I’ve seen them. The orchestra add a certain something to the Tommy and Quadrophenia sets with the violinist excelling on the outro of Baba O’Reilly and with that big cheesy grin she knew it smiling smiley. That all said, my personal favourite part of the show is the middle band only section where they cranked out all the old hits one after the other, with the surprise inclusion of “I can’t explain” which I’ve only ever heard as show opener.

Roger mentioned that next year is their 60th anniversary and 60 years is enough but on this form hopefully they’ll do a 60th anniversary run somewhere.

My legs are still aching from all my walking on Sunday but I’m sure the exercise will do me good. Worth it? Every time! I wish I’d seen them a long time before 2015 because many Stones fans easily become Who fans too. They are such a good fit for us, I think! I’m strongly considering going to Sandringham at the end of August for what could be their final show!

So glad to hear that you took the plunge and went to see them. Good decision young man, good decision !! And yes, WOW was my general reaction too, when I saw them this time round, firstly in Berlin at the fantastic Waldebühne, and then later again at the O2. If I were you, I would definitely make that stretch and see them again in Sandringham. You never know of course, but lets be a little bit realistic .... that could well be it in terms of live performances !

Luuuuuuuuurv the mighty WHO !!

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: July 19, 2023 14:59

Irix
bye bye johnny

The Who Announce Super Deluxe Multi-Format Release For Who’s Next

10CD + BluRay super deluxe edition box set with in total 155 audio tracks - [SuperDeluxeEdition.com] .
This is a proper way to issue a superdeluxe set.
Stones did not get even close. Well, a few WARD editions were nice but still, not even close.

Posted by: tommycharles ()
Date: July 19, 2023 16:26

Irix
bye bye johnny

10CD + BluRay super deluxe edition box set with in total 155 audio tracks - [SuperDeluxeEdition.com] .

Full San Francisco 71!! At long last.

Posted by: RnT ()
Date: July 19, 2023 16:26

Well I just read Pete Townshend's autobiography which makes clear that the Who were primarily a vehicle for Pete's musical adventures and not as much a band as the Stones were in the studio. Everything was pre-recorded by him in his home studio's. And he is a devoted collector. So there's obviously far more material to choose from than the Stones have preserved.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-07-20 01:01 by RnT.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 19, 2023 22:09

ironbelly
Irix
bye bye johnny

This is a proper way to issue a superdeluxe set.
Stones did not get even close. Well, a few WARD editions were nice but still, not even close.

Yes indeed, a proper way to issue a superdeluxe set. A true treasure trove filled to the brim and overflowing with goodies, and that's just referring to all the music included!
There's also the 100-page hardcover book, along with the 170-page hardback book Life House – The Graphic Novel, not to mention the posters, the program, the buttons, and other bells and whistles.
The price of such an amazing and thorough package is quite high - akin to the price of an arm and a leg - though definitely worth it! But if that's too high, there's a wide variety of package options that fit all budgets.

WHO'S NEXT

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: July 21, 2023 06:44

Greatly enjoyed The Who at the Seat Unique Riverside, the cricket ground in Chester-le-Street, on Wednesday (which was advertised as the Durham show).

I’m not a fan of ‘rock opera’ in general, but the orchestra certainly elevated those classic songs from Tommy and Quadrophenia to another level. Violinist Katie Jacoby was the star of the show with her captivating performance delivered with infectious smile which charmed every one of the crowd.

As I posted elsewhere, I originally bought a ticket for the second Edinburgh show but had to sell it due to a holiday. As it turned out, from the next show at The O2 in London onward, Anyway, Anyhow, Anywhere and I Can’t Explain were added to the middle, Who on their own part, which made up for my disappointment of missing them playing at the atmospheric Esplanade with the beautiful Edinburgh Castle in the background. On the other hand, Tea & Theatre, the acoustic duo performance by Pete and Roger for the encore, was dropped for some reason. When they left the stage, it was 10:27 — curfew perhaps? With such a long, give-it-all performance (the show started at 8:15 prompt), it was only a minor gripe.

Last but not least; Roger delivered an impressive vocal performance. This is my sixth Who show since Oakland 1989, and I have never seen him singing so strongly. I saw him, felt him, almost touched him. The singer healed himself.

[www.thenorthernecho.co.uk]

[www.thenorthernecho.co.uk]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2023-07-22 00:18 by RisingStone.

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: July 22, 2023 14:59

The Who official website publishes keyboards tech Brian Kehew’s tour diary in which he reports every show date in detail. Definitely worth visiting.

[www.thewho.com]

There are some clues why Tea & Theatre was dropped from the setlist in Badminton and the subsequent shows;

[From Derby entry]
“The crew felt that, given time limits and the energy expended, they may not end with ‘Tea & Theatre’. Well, Roger and Pete have a quick onstage discussing – feeling the same thing, and agree to only a short version, nearly half the usual length. But the meaning and feeling gets across.”

[From Badminton Estate entry]
“After ‘Baba O’Riley’ – introductions and bows. No ‘Tea & Theatre’ afterward tonight; I think there are time issues. Besides, though it’s a great moment, it’s not always the best way to end a big general-audience show with a song most people don’t know. ‘Baba O’Riley’ – that’s a memorable end to anything! I think ‘Baba O Riley’, ‘Listening to You’ and ‘Won’t Get Fooled Again’ have all been contenders for “greatest closing song ever” – and this band has three of them!!”

[From Durham entry]
“Baba O’Riley’ finishes up, no more ‘Tea & Theatre’ for these shows; likely it’s just not intimate enough a crowd or setting. As I said, ‘Baba O’Riley’ is the finest closing number you could buy, so we have it – and use it! Was it a good show? Of course, it’s always good. Just in different places each night, in different ways. Everyone’s in a good mood, it seems and we’re only three shows from the end, for now.”

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-07-22 15:51 by RisingStone.

Posted by: 5StringsEnuff ()
Date: July 24, 2023 06:49

RnT's characterization of The Who's recording process is misleading and warrants clarification.

Unlike The Beatles and the Stones, where the primary or initial writer on a song would share it live in the studio in front of the band -- often in an unfinished state -- which would then proceed to hash out the arrangements and recording approach, Pete Townshend takes a very different approach.

Yes, he would record detailed demos at his home studio, playing multiple instruments and various vocal parts himself. These demos are not, though, in any way "pre-records" of Who albums. They are Pete's way of conveying new material to the band.

With some exceptions -- primarily synthesizer parts, which he did record in his home studio for use on the records -- The Who created their own, new versions of the Townshend demos in the studio. Pete is one of the smartest guys out there. He knew that he had the greatest bass player in the history of rock in John Entwistle and one of the three or four greatest drummers ever in Keith Moon and one of the ten greatest front men in Roger, all of whom will take his compositions to a new level in the stratosphere. And he recognized very early on that relative to their peers, Entwistle and Moon had very unique approaches to their instrument. Moon's drumming, Townshend is fond of saying, frequently filled the role played by keyboards in other bands (which is a good thing, since Townshend would also bemoan that Moon couldn't keep time to save his life) and that Entwistle's bass was sometimes carrying a song the way the lead guitar would in other outfits. Pete is nimble enough on all of those instruments to make demos to teach the band new material, but he never could have played those parts as they appear on the records.

The Who's records were made by The Who.

- 5 Strings Enuff

Date: July 24, 2023 12:13

RisingStone
The Who official website publishes keyboards tech Brian Kehew’s tour diary in which he reports every show date in detail. Definitely worth visiting.

[www.thewho.com]

There are some clues why Tea & Theatre was dropped from the setlist in Badminton and the subsequent shows;

[From Derby entry]
“The crew felt that, given time limits and the energy expended, they may not end with ‘Tea & Theatre’. Well, Roger and Pete have a quick onstage discussing – feeling the same thing, and agree to only a short version, nearly half the usual length. But the meaning and feeling gets across.”

[From Badminton Estate entry]
“After ‘Baba O’Riley’ – introductions and bows. No ‘Tea & Theatre’ afterward tonight; I think there are time issues. Besides, though it’s a great moment, it’s not always the best way to end a big general-audience show with a song most people don’t know. ‘Baba O’Riley’ – that’s a memorable end to anything! I think ‘Baba O Riley’, ‘Listening to You’ and ‘Won’t Get Fooled Again’ have all been contenders for “greatest closing song ever” – and this band has three of them!!”

[From Durham entry]
“Baba O’Riley’ finishes up, no more ‘Tea & Theatre’ for these shows; likely it’s just not intimate enough a crowd or setting. As I said, ‘Baba O’Riley’ is the finest closing number you could buy, so we have it – and use it! Was it a good show? Of course, it’s always good. Just in different places each night, in different ways. Everyone’s in a good mood, it seems and we’re only three shows from the end, for now.”

thank you, this blog is very cool to read !

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: July 24, 2023 22:43

5StringsEnuff
RnT's characterization of The Who's recording process is misleading and warrants clarification.

Unlike The Beatles and the Stones, where the primary or initial writer on a song would share it live in the studio in front of the band -- often in an unfinished state -- which would then proceed to hash out the arrangements and recording approach, Pete Townshend takes a very different approach.

Yes, he would record detailed demos at his home studio, playing multiple instruments and various vocal parts himself. These demos are not, though, in any way "pre-records" of Who albums. They are Pete's way of conveying new material to the band.

With some exceptions -- primarily synthesizer parts, which he did record in his home studio for use on the records -- The Who created their own, new versions of the Townshend demos in the studio. Pete is one of the smartest guys out there. He knew that he had the greatest bass player in the history of rock in John Entwistle and one of the three or four greatest drummers ever in Keith Moon and one of the ten greatest front men in Roger, all of whom will take his compositions to a new level in the stratosphere. And he recognized very early on that relative to their peers, Entwistle and Moon had very unique approaches to their instrument. Moon's drumming, Townshend is fond of saying, frequently filled the role played by keyboards in other bands (which is a good thing, since Townshend would also bemoan that Moon couldn't keep time to save his life) and that Entwistle's bass was sometimes carrying a song the way the lead guitar would in other outfits. Pete is nimble enough on all of those instruments to make demos to teach the band new material, but he never could have played those parts as they appear on the records.

- 5 Strings Enuff

So well summarised there 5 strings

sc uk

Posted by: BeastyBurdeny ()
Date: July 25, 2023 04:41

I saw some accusations in some comment sections about Roger using a pre-recorded track for the scream in Won't Get Fooled Again. I don't think he's doing that for the scream in Love Reign O'er Me, so it seems odd to do it for another track.

Also, if he's just doing it for a scream or two it's pretty forgivable. Just curious if anyone has seen more chatter about this, as I was always impressed by the gust of power Roger musters up for those two screams.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2lJovmad98

Posted by: snorton ()
Date: July 25, 2023 08:33

Yes, he has the WDGFA scream for years, lesser for Love Reign Over Me.

Date: July 25, 2023 15:44

Anyone who is seeing the mighty WHO at the EDEN Project this evening .... reports please !

Date: July 25, 2023 16:30

BeastyBurdeny
I saw some accusations in some comment sections about Roger using a pre-recorded track for the scream in Won't Get Fooled Again. I don't think he's doing that for the scream in Love Reign O'er Me, so it seems odd to do it for another track.

Also, if he's just doing it for a scream or two it's pretty forgivable. Just curious if anyone has seen more chatter about this, as I was always impressed by the gust of power Roger musters up for those two screams.

WGFA scream has been on tape since 2012. LROM doesn't have anything on tape. I don't think there's anything wrong with it though it does make me laugh when reviewers laud the fact that he nailed the scream. Still, when you're there at the show it doesn't hurt anything smiling smiley

Posted by: chriseganstar ()
Date: July 25, 2023 17:23

paulywaul
Anyone who is seeing the mighty WHO at the EDEN Project this evening .... reports please !
I'm going....weather is perfect too !

Satisfied since 1976

Date: July 25, 2023 17:51

chriseganstar
paulywaul

Thank you Chris, I look forward to your comments .....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-07-25 19:41 by paulywaul.

Date: July 25, 2023 23:45

tommycharles
BeastyBurdeny

WGFA scream has been on tape since 2012. LROM doesn't have anything on tape. I don't think there's anything wrong with it though it does make me laugh when reviewers laud the fact that he nailed the scream. Still, when you're there at the show it doesn't hurt anything smiling smiley

Thanks for the info, and definitely no disrespect toward the band from me for it. Roger nails LROM and the rest of the show is great. I love the Who and will gladly see them again, if ever I get the chance.

Date: July 26, 2023 01:34

BeastyBurdeny
Thanks for the info, and definitely no disrespect toward the band from me for it. Roger nails LROM and the rest of the show is great. I love the Who and will gladly see them again, if ever I get the chance.

Roger's singing has been sort of miraculous these last few years, you'd never believe he's 80. I've seen the current tour a couple of times and everyone just looks around in disbelief when he gets to the end of LROM, it's fun.

Posted by: mosthigh ()
Date: July 26, 2023 01:58

tommycharles
BeastyBurdeny

Roger's singing has been sort of miraculous these last few years, you'd never believe he's 80. I've seen the current tour a couple of times and everyone just looks around in disbelief when he gets to the end of LROM, it's fun.

I'm pretty sure the scream near the end of LROM is pre-recorded, as is definitely the one at the end of WGFA. Not saying Roger doesn't sound good for his age, but he's not turning back the clock here.

Posted by: chriseganstar ()
Date: July 26, 2023 02:29

paulywaul
chriseganstar
paulywaul

Thank you Chris, I look forward to your comments .....
The Mighty Who were indeed mighty bloody good tonight at Eden. Rogers voice is unbelievably good, fantastic set as described previously for other gigs. Acoustics at the Eden Project are the best you can get, natural bowl. Smallest venue on the tour...6,000 max in glorious summer weather. A true privilege to have witnessed 2¼ hours of the most stunning music that's been the backdrop to all of us of a certain age !

Satisfied since 1976

Date: July 26, 2023 03:11

mosthigh
tommycharles
BeastyBurdeny

I'm pretty sure the scream near the end of LROM is pre-recorded, as is definitely the one at the end of WGFA. Not saying Roger doesn't sound good for his age, but he's not turning back the clock here.

I'm not convinced that part is pre-recorded. After the scream on "Love", the subsequent part of the line blends so well together with the scream.

The subsequent part of the lyrics, after the scream, are sung differently in these two performances too (linked below). Only thing I can think of is that he'd have to be lip syncing the whole song, or at least the last half of the song, and they'd be updating the pre-recorded track from year to year. At the end of the day, it doesn't really matter as he's obviously singing the majority of the show live. He's not pulling a "Kiss" every night.

2019 (scream @ 0:04)
[www.youtube.com]

2022 (scream @ 7:32)
[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: July 26, 2023 03:37

tommycharles
Roger's singing has been sort of miraculous these last few years, you'd never believe he's 80.

Roger's 79. He'll turn 80 next March.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 26, 2023 07:39

straycatuk
5StringsEnuff

- 5 Strings Enuff

So well summarised there 5 strings

sc uk

Yes, very well summarized. thumbs up

RnT seems a bit confused...dazed and confused....

Posted by: glimmertwinz ()
Date: July 26, 2023 08:20

Has anyone heard if they’re doing a 60th Anniversary tour next year?

Date: July 26, 2023 09:14

glimmertwinz

I’d be surprised. I think next month at Sandringham is the end.

Posted by: glimmertwinz ()
Date: July 26, 2023 09:48

I can’t see that happening tbh. 60th Anniversary is too close not to round it off

Date: July 26, 2023 10:59

tommycharles
glimmertwinz

I’d be surprised. I think next month at Sandringham is the end.

I too have a feeling that the Sandringham show will be it .....

Maybe they'll go the same way as Elton John ? No more tours, but possibly just one-offs ? Things like the Teenage Cancer Trust shows at the RAH ....

OT: The Who stuff
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: July 26, 2023 17:02

The Who at The 1st Central County Ground, Hove 23.7.23 (pic Cris Watkins)

The Who at The 1st Central County Ground, Hove 23.7.23 (pic Cris Watkins)

The Who play live concert in Hove

by Sonny Tyler
Monday 24 Jul, 2023

[www.brightonandhovenews.org]

The Who playing in Hove was a big deal, so here’s another report!

by Mark Kelly
Wednesday 26 Jul, 2023

[www.brightonandhovenews.org]

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...96979899100101102103104105106Next
Current Page: 103 of 106

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1850
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home