Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...96979899100101102103104105106Next
Current Page: 102 of 106
Re: OT: The Who stuff
Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: June 21, 2023 01:13

The WHO are (as they say) ... cooking on gas !!

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: Nankstone ()
Date: June 21, 2023 02:16

Great concert and a surprising setlist with 3 tour debuts thumbs up
Berlin / Waldbühne

(with Orchestra "Tommy" set)
1-Overture
2-1921
3-Amazing Journey
4-Sparks
5-The Acid Queen --- (tour debut)
6-Pinball Wizard
7-We're Not Gonna Take It
----------------------------------------
8-Who Are You
9-Eminence Front
(only Band)
10-The Kids Are Alright --- (tour debut)
11-You Better You Bet
12-The Seeker
13-Substitute
14-Tattoo --- (tour debut)
15-Won't Get Fooled Again
16-Behind Blue Eyes
(with Orchestra "Quadrophenia" set)
17-The Real Me
18-I'm One
19-5:15
20-The Rock
21-Love, Reign O'er Me
22-Baba O'Riley

Date: June 21, 2023 09:38

Thank you for posting that, I was far too damn excited to remember to do things like note down the setlist !

WOW what a show. They are on fantastic form, their powers not in the slightest diminished ! If ya have a chance to see 'em - do it !

Posted by: AntoineParis ()
Date: June 21, 2023 13:00

paulywaul
Thank you for posting that, I was far too damn excited to remember to do things like note down the setlist !

WOW what a show. They are on fantastic form, their powers not in the slightest diminished ! If ya have a chance to see 'em - do it !

Can't wait for Friday in Paris !
Hope they gonna keep Tattoo and Acid Queen !

Posted by: Valeswood ()
Date: June 21, 2023 13:20

Did Acid Queen have Roger on lead vocal. I think he does a much better job than Pete, like in 1975/1976.

I wonder if Acid Queen was added to the setlist as a tribute to Tina Turner. I would like to think so.

Posted by: Nankstone ()
Date: June 21, 2023 14:02

Valeswood
Did Acid Queen have Roger on lead vocal. I think he does a much better job than Pete, like in 1975/1976.

I wonder if Acid Queen was added to the setlist as a tribute to Tina Turner. I would like to think so.

Pete sang "Acid Queen" in Berlin, it was certainly a tribute to Tina, but unfortunately without saying a few words to Tina ...

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: June 21, 2023 14:06

Love that setlist!! Here's hoping that the London one in July will be similarly great.

Posted by: hickorywind ()
Date: June 22, 2023 11:12

Berlin / Waldbühne

Echo what the other guys said.
A brilliant performance on Tuesday evening.
Thought Zak Starkey was immense along with all the others,
Long Live The Who.

Posted by: mikey C ()
Date: June 22, 2023 16:41

The Who were brilliant loved it and the women on Violin stoled the show at the end!!!!!!!!!See them if you can!!!!!!It was a great night!!!!!!

Posted by: mikey C ()
Date: June 22, 2023 16:42

And my one wish was to get"The Seeker"and I got it!!!!!!!!

Posted by: mosthigh ()
Date: June 23, 2023 00:34

mikey C
The Who were brilliant loved it and the women on Violin stoled the show at the end!!!!!!!!!See them if you can!!!!!!It was a great night!!!!!!

Her name is Katy Jacoby and is married to Scott Metzger who plays guitar in a popular touring Grateful Dead tribute band (Joe Russo's Almost Dead or JRAD). She often sits in with them.

Funny she tours all over with The Who but only plays for like 2 minutes at the end of Baba O Riley at each show. They must make it worthwhile for her.

Posted by: Erhard51 ()
Date: June 23, 2023 11:34

What a great show Tuesday in Berlin - Waldbühne

My second time in the Wonderfull location WEaldbühne after last year with the Stones.

Posted by: corvonero ()
Date: June 23, 2023 11:42

mosthigh
Funny she tours all over with The Who but only plays for like 2 minutes at the end of Baba O Riley at each show.

I was at the Florence show and she played most of it (all the parts where the orchestra is on stage), she was sitting with all the other violin players on the left side of the stage.
She and the cello player are the only two from the orchestra who get introducted by name along with the director.
Obviously she's featured on the Baba O Riley violin solo but definitly plays more than just two minutes.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-06-23 11:43 by corvonero.

Posted by: chriseganstar ()
Date: June 23, 2023 11:44

Going to see The Who at the Eden Project in Cornwall on July 25th.....1st time I saw them was at the Valley Charlton in the 70's...the only time I've seen them with Keith Moon. This will be my 8th or 9th Who show and the Eden Project is only 15'from my house ! If we get anything like this set list it will be fantastic!

Satisfied since 1976

Date: June 29, 2023 20:59

If anyone is interested, AXS have just released really good floor seats in blocks A1 and A3 for the WHO at the O2 on 12th July. I couldn't believe it, I just got two tix, third row, in block A3 - which kind of puts me almost in front of where WINDMILL Pete is gonna be, for £126 per seat. At this late stage ? Extraordinary. Good on the WHO, good on AXS !!

Date: July 13, 2023 22:29

Great to run into IORRs Beast and Sonicdreamer in the near front rows of the floor blocks at the O2 yesterday. I think we all agreed that the WHO gave us an absolute peach of a performance, they are sounding as good as ever. "They never disappoint" !

Still quite a few of their UK dates to go, so our recommendation would be: "catch 'em while you can" ! They really are on great form !!

Posted by: essexhammer ()
Date: July 14, 2023 00:14

Went to the o2 and it was fabulous, as others have said, go see them while you can, first who show was Wembley 1979 for me and enjoyed this just as much.

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: July 14, 2023 00:55

I’m in rural Oxfordshire, close to Swindon. I considered the O2 but it’s a pain to get to from here. They’re playing Badminton House on Sunday, just 40 miles away. Will very likely scoop a last minute ticket and go. I’ve seen the Who 6 times since 2015. They give it their all and put on a hell of a show still. Roger’s voice seems to have had a new lease of life!

Posted by: petewasbristol ()
Date: July 17, 2023 08:45

Saw the Who in Badminton last night (it's 20 mins drive from my house...this does not happen very often!) And it was wonderful. I took my five year old son and also my mum and dad. With the orchestra it really does add something else to the show and we all came away very happy indeed. Now, if the Stones can come to Badminton next year that would be lovely...

Posted by: yorkshirestone ()
Date: July 17, 2023 10:40

I was on the fence about St Helens this fri night (about an hour from my house) but based on above reviews, going to scope a single this week - I’ve not seen the who before

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: July 17, 2023 17:25

Your time to see them is way overdue, then! Am sure you won't regret going - only that you didn't see them before. They have never disappointed in all the times I've seen them and their show at the O2 was no exception. See this review (minus the photos, which I don't know how to post):

The Who review — amazing journey of the oddest couple in rock
The O2, London

Roger Daltrey could still produce a magnificent scream, while Pete Townshend’s raw guitar work was captivating

MARILYN KINGWILL

Given that Pete Townshend originally intended the Who to be an auto-destructive art project that lasted two years — which in his most extreme vision he would end by blowing himself up — the band has proved to be remarkably resilient. Add in changing musical trends, the deaths of Keith Moon and John Entwistle and the fact that Roger Daltrey and Townshend have very little in common, and it is nothing short of miraculous that the band is still going.

This arena concert, for which the Who were backed by the Heart of England Co-operative Concert Orchestra as they ran through highlights from almost 60 years of band history, was a celebration of that miracle.

In a sense the concept was counter to the Who’s original remit as a generational force for destruction. What could be more establishment than an orchestra? But Townshend’s operatic masterpieces Tommy and Quadrophenia lend themselves to the orchestral treatment.

Daltrey led the band through a set that spanned almost 60 years

So this became a new way of looking at a band who were in part a product of growing up in the traumatised shadow of the Second World War — just what Tommy is about to a large extent.

The 1969 song Amazing Journey sounded incredible, still one of the most unsettling songs to emerge from the classic rock era.

And although Townshend could not hope to fill the late Tina Turner’s shoes as a drug-crazed prostitute on The Acid Queen, the rawness of his guitar against the swell of the orchestra was captivating. As for the deathless Pinball Wizard, driven by Zak Starkey’s fantastically energetic drumming, it turns out a small army of violins is just what we never knew it needed.

The orchestra took a break for the Mod-era favourites, such as The Kids Are Alright and Substitute, which still sounded totally original more than half a century later.

“It’s nice to be the oldest person in the room. Will you impart some wisdom to us, Roger?” asked Townshend.

When a not-amused Daltrey said he didn’t know a thing, Townshend quipped: “I dedicate this to you, then. It’s called I Can’t Explain.”

The not-so-subtle dig was compounded by My Generation coming straight after, although Townshend is only two years younger than the lead singer.

Daltrey struggled every now and then, having to start Behind Blue Eyes again. But he aced the scream at Won’t Get Fooled Again — pretty good at almost 80.

The orchestra really made sense during the Quadrophenia section. I’m One took on an almost pastoral quality, 5.15 sounded more frantic than ever and a collage of news footage of the past half decade led toward an astounding Love, Reign o’er Me. The creative ambition of the Who has always been huge. This vast concert, with an equally vast Baba O’Riley to finish it off — gave that ambition its ideal setting.

[www.thetimes.co.uk]

Posted by: tommycharles ()
Date: July 17, 2023 17:53

I can’t help laughing when reviews cite the scream in WGFA. It’s on tape, people.

Posted by: stoneman333 ()
Date: July 17, 2023 20:22

Hi everyone.

I was at the Badminton Estate near Bristol last night to see a Great Who concert - despite the torrential rain earlier in the day smiling smiley.

Anyway - my reason for posting - does anyone know if there's an equivalent "Who" site or forum to IORR? I'm keen to see if anyone puts together a complete Badminton concert from Youtube clips - like midimannz and others do of Stones concerts here.

Thanks

Date: July 17, 2023 21:56

Beast
Your time to see them is way overdue, then! Am sure you won't regret going - only that you didn't see them before. They have never disappointed in all the times I've seen them and their show at the O2 was no exception. See this review (minus the photos, which I don't know how to post):

The Who review — amazing journey of the oddest couple in rock
The O2, London

Roger Daltrey could still produce a magnificent scream, while Pete Townshend’s raw guitar work was captivating

MARILYN KINGWILL

Given that Pete Townshend originally intended the Who to be an auto-destructive art project that lasted two years — which in his most extreme vision he would end by blowing himself up — the band has proved to be remarkably resilient. Add in changing musical trends, the deaths of Keith Moon and John Entwistle and the fact that Roger Daltrey and Townshend have very little in common, and it is nothing short of miraculous that the band is still going.

This arena concert, for which the Who were backed by the Heart of England Co-operative Concert Orchestra as they ran through highlights from almost 60 years of band history, was a celebration of that miracle.

In a sense the concept was counter to the Who’s original remit as a generational force for destruction. What could be more establishment than an orchestra? But Townshend’s operatic masterpieces Tommy and Quadrophenia lend themselves to the orchestral treatment.

Daltrey led the band through a set that spanned almost 60 years

So this became a new way of looking at a band who were in part a product of growing up in the traumatised shadow of the Second World War — just what Tommy is about to a large extent.

The 1969 song Amazing Journey sounded incredible, still one of the most unsettling songs to emerge from the classic rock era.

And although Townshend could not hope to fill the late Tina Turner’s shoes as a drug-crazed prostitute on The Acid Queen, the rawness of his guitar against the swell of the orchestra was captivating. As for the deathless Pinball Wizard, driven by Zak Starkey’s fantastically energetic drumming, it turns out a small army of violins is just what we never knew it needed.

The orchestra took a break for the Mod-era favourites, such as The Kids Are Alright and Substitute, which still sounded totally original more than half a century later.

“It’s nice to be the oldest person in the room. Will you impart some wisdom to us, Roger?” asked Townshend.

When a not-amused Daltrey said he didn’t know a thing, Townshend quipped: “I dedicate this to you, then. It’s called I Can’t Explain.”

The not-so-subtle dig was compounded by My Generation coming straight after, although Townshend is only two years younger than the lead singer.

Daltrey struggled every now and then, having to start Behind Blue Eyes again. But he aced the scream at Won’t Get Fooled Again — pretty good at almost 80.

The orchestra really made sense during the Quadrophenia section. I’m One took on an almost pastoral quality, 5.15 sounded more frantic than ever and a collage of news footage of the past half decade led toward an astounding Love, Reign o’er Me. The creative ambition of the Who has always been huge. This vast concert, with an equally vast Baba O’Riley to finish it off — gave that ambition its ideal setting.

[www.thetimes.co.uk]

Excellent review, and I would concur with pretty much every word. I loved this gig, just as I have loved virtually every WHO gig I've ever attended - and that's a good many by now !

Thank you for posting !

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 17, 2023 22:13

Yes, excellent review - they're always GREAT! thumbs up

Long live The Who......

Posted by: tommycharles ()
Date: July 18, 2023 07:19

The reports from this UK tour sound like it's an amazing set of shows - so happy for the band and all attendees. I caught it in the US last fall and they were in extraordinary form, glad to hear it's kept up. Assuming this is the end, what a glorious conclusion.

Date: July 18, 2023 10:33

tommycharles
The reports from this UK tour sound like it's an amazing set of shows - so happy for the band and all attendees. I caught it in the US last fall and they were in extraordinary form, glad to hear it's kept up. Assuming this is the end, what a glorious conclusion.

Sadly, I am inclined to agree with you, I think that this series of shows probably is the end ! But as you say, if indeed this does turn out to be their conclusion, then what a conclusion it was !

Love love love love the mighty WHO ....

OT: The Who stuff
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: July 18, 2023 17:16

18 Jul 2023

The Who Announce Super Deluxe Multi-Format Release For Who’s Next | Life House

Lavish Set On Which Pete Townshend Foresaw The Birth Of The Internet And Virtual Reality, Features Dozens Of Unreleased Treasures

[www.thewho.com]

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: July 18, 2023 19:25

bye bye johnny

The Who Announce Super Deluxe Multi-Format Release For Who’s Next

10CD + BluRay super deluxe edition box set with in total 155 audio tracks - [SuperDeluxeEdition.com] .

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: July 18, 2023 19:54

Irix
bye bye johnny

The Who Announce Super Deluxe Multi-Format Release For Who’s Next

10CD + BluRay super deluxe edition box set with in total 155 audio tracks - [SuperDeluxeEdition.com] .

This would make a swell Christmas present if anyone wanted to get it for me. grinning smiley

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...96979899100101102103104105106Next
Current Page: 102 of 106

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1856
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home