Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...6061626364656667686970...LastNext
Current Page: 65 of 106
Re: OT: The Who stuff
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 4, 2019 03:34

bye bye johnny
Hairball
A new song debut at the Sept.1 MSG show:

[www.youtube.com]

Not a debut. One of two new songs played at Wembley in July. The other, "Hero Ground Zero" was also played Sunday. Album in November according to Pete.

[youtu.be]

Didn't realize that bye bye johnny - gathered that info from Rock Cellar Magazine:

Watch the Who Debut ‘Big Cigars,’ Another New Song, at Madison Square Garden
By Rock Cellar Magazine Staff on September 3, 2019

“Next year, hopefully,” guitarist Pete Townshend said on stage at Madison Square Garden this past weekend as The Who‘s Moving On! tour stop, “the songs that we release in November will be greatest hits. Or maybe they won’t.”
He was discussing the band‘s planned new album, which he also said should be out “around the middle of November,” before he, Roger Daltrey and the band launched into a new song titled “Big Cigars.”
Perhaps augmented by the symphony orchestra performing alongside the band for this tour, that song definitely sounds pretty huge, doesn’t it?
“Big Cigars” is the second song the Who have premiered so far from the upcoming album, following the live debut of “Hero Ground Zero,” which was also performed at this MSG gig.

Zak Starkey, currently taking part in the Who’s tour as a live drummer, also participated in the album sessions for the new record. In a recent interview, he told he the experience was obviously rather exciting:
"The album doesn’t sound like any previous Who albums, it has the vibe of a 2019 Who album. But it doesn’t sound old, it sounds brand new and super fresh".

Maybe Rock Cellar Staff meant US debut.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-09-04 03:36 by Hairball.

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: September 4, 2019 04:01

Mistake was the uploader's - "Big Cigars (1st Time Live, New Song)". Rock Cellar just repeated it.

Posted by: ThePaleRider ()
Date: September 4, 2019 14:06

The Who put on a pretty great performance in Toronto last night. The backup orchestra was a nice addition for the 'rock opera' sections but the band only seemed to really catch their old fire and fury during the middle set without them. There were a lot of shouts of 'Forget the orchestra!', 'There you go! Who needs then!', lol. Still, it was a really good show. Roger can still sing superbly, Pete can still play guitar...especially during a wonderful acoustic version of Won't Get Fooled Again and Zak Starkey was frenetic. Good show! Had a great time...nice, appreciative audience of both young and older, I feel incredibly fortunate to have seen both the Stones and Who as bookends to the summer months up here in Ontario, Canada. Never mind the 'death lists'...both bands look and sound like they could go on for a while longer.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-09-04 14:09 by ThePaleRider.

Posted by: Madcap ()
Date: September 10, 2019 21:38

Saw the Alpine show, first time seeing them, and thought it was great. Definitely exceeded my expectations, although I was bummed that they dropped Join Together, Drowned, and Punk/Godfather from the setlist. Makes me wish I would have made the effort to see them in years past!

Posted by: mosthigh ()
Date: September 11, 2019 04:19

Heard Alpine lawn tickets were going for $10 on StubHub the day of show. I'm definitely waiting for the price drop before I consider buying anything for Vancouver. There are plenty of tickets on TM. You can still get 12th row floor at face (but still too much for me).

I guess they add or drop tunes from their set from night to night depending on Rogers' voice/energy etc. On the last tour (WHO50) they could play as few as 18 or as many as 23 songs per night.

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: September 11, 2019 08:11

Madcap
Saw the Alpine show, first time seeing them, and thought it was great. Definitely exceeded my expectations, although I was bummed that they dropped Join Together, Drowned, and Punk/Godfather from the setlist. Makes me wish I would have made the effort to see them in years past!

I was there also. Seemed to me they played three or four new songs - “Big Cigar” being one of them. However the setlist online only showed two? Anyway the new songs sound good and the new album should be out in November. Maybe they will
tour again the first of the year to promote the new release?

Date: September 11, 2019 16:44

Yeah I’m hoping they do a tour without the orchestra (which was great!) next year to promote the new album.

Posted by: johnnythunders ()
Date: September 11, 2019 17:21

I have not managed to find one yet but there is an excellent sounding recording on Guitars101 from Philadelphia (26/5/19) - similar but non-identical setlist

[www.guitars101.com]

Posted by: tommycharles ()
Date: September 11, 2019 19:39

Madcap
Yeah I’m hoping they do a tour without the orchestra (which was great!) next year to promote the new album.

PT said in July that they're taking the current show to Europe next year, so I'd be surprised if they did another show particular to this album... maybe another track or two will find its way into the list, that's all. Though a one-off gig where they played all or most of it would be extremely welcome.

Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: September 11, 2019 19:48

mosthigh
Heard Alpine lawn tickets were going for $10 on StubHub the day of show. I'm definitely waiting for the price drop before I consider buying anything for Vancouver. There are plenty of tickets on TM. You can still get 12th row floor at face (but still too much for me).

I guess they add or drop tunes from their set from night to night depending on Rogers' voice/energy etc. On the last tour (WHO50) they could play as few as 18 or as many as 23 songs per night.

Indeed. A friend of mine went to the Alpine show and said tickets had dropped to $5. eye popping smiley

He said the lawn was half empty. He and I have seen countless shows at Alpine. It has a massive lawn. He said it was strange to see it so empty.

Sounds kind of sad. I've like The Who for years, but never been a huge fan...still I was surprised to hear how poorly the show sold. I'm glad I saw them when I did, '97 and '02. '97 was Quad tour, and '02 they were doing "Relay" in their sets, which is probably my favorite Who song.

Posted by: keefmick ()
Date: September 11, 2019 23:06

I am seeing them for free next Friday in Ft Lauderdale and have no interest in seeing the opener, Reignwolf, and no time to get there for them on a work night even if I did have interest. Having said that, the show is called for 7:30pm. For those that have been there, what time will the Who hit the stage? Thanks.

Posted by: Ket ()
Date: September 12, 2019 01:05

floodonthepage
mosthigh

Indeed. A friend of mine went to the Alpine show and said tickets had dropped to $5. eye popping smiley

Wow! You can't even get a beer for 5 bucks

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: September 12, 2019 01:15

mosthigh

Lots of tickets on ticketmaster for Vancouver! I think it's a case of over saturation. They were just here a couple years ago, which was a great show and the best sounding one I've heard in Rogers Arena so far.

Date: September 12, 2019 03:12

DGA35
mosthigh

Lots of tickets on ticketmaster for Vancouver! I think it's a case of over saturation. They were just here a couple years ago, which was a great show and the best sounding one I've heard in Rogers Arena so far.

The first two shows at the Hollywood Bowl (Oct. 11 and 13) sold relatively well with not many left.
The third show scheduled over a week later (Oct. 24) w/Liam Gallagher opening is a different story...tickets still available in almost every section, and I expect we'll probably see massive price drops.

Posted by: rlj1010 ()
Date: September 12, 2019 03:50

keefmick
I am seeing them for free next Friday in Ft Lauderdale and have no interest in seeing the opener, Reignwolf, and no time to get there for them on a work night even if I did have interest. Having said that, the show is called for 7:30pm. For those that have been there, what time will the Who hit the stage? Thanks.

I'll be at the BB&T Center show too. If I had to take an educated guess.

Reignwolf: 7:30-8:05
Who - 8:30-10:40

or thereabout...

Date: September 12, 2019 05:50

Alpine was roughly 8:30-10:30 on a 7:30 ticket time.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: September 13, 2019 10:40

The Who - Ball and Chain (new single)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-09-13 10:40 by Cristiano Radtke.

Posted by: johnnythunders ()
Date: September 13, 2019 11:02

New UK tour just announced for April 2020 to promote the new album "WHO"

No mention of an orchestra...

[www.livenation.co.uk]

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: September 13, 2019 11:06

The Who announce 2020 UK arena tour in support of new album

Friday, September 13th, 2019 8:00am

By Scott Colothan  @scottcolothan

The Who have announced a nine-date UK arena tour for March and April 2020.

Calling in at Manchester, Newcastle, Glasgow, Leeds, Cardiff, Birmingham, Nottingham, Liverpool and London, the tour follows The Who’s gargantuan concert at London Wembley Stadium back in July.

Tickets to the tour go on sale from Planet Rock Tickets at 10am on Friday 20th September.

Next year’s tour supports the release of The Who’s upcoming new studio album, ‘WHO’, which is their first record since October 2006’s ‘Endless Wire’.  

The new record comes complete with artwork created by legendary pop artist Peter Blake, the man behind The Beatles’ ‘Sgt Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band’ and The Who’s 1981 album ‘Face Dances’, amongst others.  

See The Who at the following shows:

MARCH 2020 
Manchester Arena – 16th
Newcastle Metro Radio Arena – 21st
Glasgow The SSE Hydro – 23rd
Leeds First Direct Arena – 25th
Cardiff Motorpoint Arena – 30th

APRIL 2020 
Birmingham Resorts World Arena – 1st
Nottingham Motorpoint Arena – 3rd
Liverpool M&S Bank Arena – 6th
London The SSE Arena, Wembley – 8th

[www.planetrock.com]

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: September 13, 2019 13:50

Not bad, doesn't really go anywhere and Roger's voice doesn't "take off", but interesting in its "relentlessness" !

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: mikey C ()
Date: September 13, 2019 15:06

Noticed The Who at Fenway Park Tonight...Was there once a long time ago..One of the last of 2 Original Baseball parks..The other being Wrigley in Chicago..Not bad 45$ for a ticket grab a seat,a Fenway Frank, a Beer and your all set...Anyone from IORR going to night? Send a photo or 2 if you can..Cheer's.M

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: September 13, 2019 16:45

mikey C
Noticed The Who at Fenway Park Tonight...Was there once a long time ago..One of the last of 2 Original Baseball parks..The other being Wrigley in Chicago..Not bad 45$ for a ticket grab a seat,a Fenway Frank, a Beer and your all set...Anyone from IORR going to night? Send a photo or 2 if you can..Cheer's.M
Fenway and Boston is great, but it's SUCH a hassle to get around. Won't be going but I'm sure it will be fun.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: September 13, 2019 16:49

gotdablouse

Not bad, doesn't really go anywhere and Roger's voice doesn't "take off", but interesting in its "relentlessness" !
Eh, this is very middling. Not inspired at all.

The production is very muddy too. I'm so sick of poor production from established acts. It's absolutely inexcusable that albums from 40-50 years ago sound orders of magnitude better with the technology available these days.

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: September 13, 2019 17:10

yes, this one (and the other new one that can be found live on youtube) don't really go anywhere.

To think that PT used to be the master of great choruses, beautiful, unexpected bridges and middle 8s, with such a fantastic sense of melody...

Oh well, I guess we should be satisfied that they are still alive and releasing music.

I'll go listen to Quadraphenia or Chinese Eyes instead..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-09-13 18:25 by peoplewitheyes.

Posted by: spikenyc ()
Date: September 13, 2019 18:11

Last night in NYC, they played the rooftop of the new Pace Gallery
Very cool!

[www.brooklynvegan.com]

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: September 13, 2019 18:19

That Brooklyn appearance would've been amazing to see.

What's anyone's view on the cover art and title of the upcoming album by the way?

Date: September 13, 2019 18:32

Thanks - I love it.
The first time I've been able to say that about a new Who song in many years, though there have been a few I liked. Moodiness and mysteriousness w/elements of classic Who.
Perhaps not in the same league lyrically as the classic Pete of old (in fact they're kind of weak and lame), but Roger sounds great and the song itself rocks! thumbs up

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: September 13, 2019 22:52

Hairball

Thanks - I love it.
The first time I've been able to say that about a new Who song in many years, though there have been a few I liked. Moodiness and mysteriousness w/elements of classic Who.
Perhaps not in the same league lyrically as the classic Pete of old (in fact they're kind of weak and lame), but Roger sounds great and the song itself rocks! thumbs up

Ditto.....thumbs up

Posted by: ukcal ()
Date: September 13, 2019 22:56

its cool, smokey,blues, whoish and if you are a fan it puts a smile on your face and heart and if the stones can do as well as this i would be happy,well done guys who are reaaching their mid to late 70's for christ sake! WHO'S LAST

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: September 14, 2019 04:27

This sounds more like The Who than anything that's on Endless Wire, and that makes me wonder if maybe Simon Townshend didn't have a hand in the writing. Simon's best songs are as good as anything on any of Pete's solo records. In fact, since the 1980s, the only good Townshend songs have been Simon Townshend songs.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...6061626364656667686970...LastNext
Current Page: 65 of 106

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1417
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home