Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 3 of 6
Re: Australia and New Zealand rescheduled show announcement Tuesday April 15
Posted by: MarthaTuesday ()
Date: April 17, 2014 19:15

Deathgod
Australia...you will love it!

I just know I will! I'm very, very excited about going. Wanted to for a long time and now with my brother emigrating there, I have an excuse for the long journey and expense!

It all sounds interesting to me. Not sure yet how many places I can see on this trip but Melbourne's tempting for the Stones. I a big tennis fan so it might be interesting to see them at Rod Laver.

Hanging Rock does look amazing but I'll probably be on my own (brother not a stones fan) and can't drive so think I'll stick to venues easy to get to and from.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: April 17, 2014 19:27

MarthaTuesday
Deathgod

I just know I will! I'm very, very excited about going. Wanted to for a long time and now with my brother emigrating there, I have an excuse for the long journey and expense!

It all sounds interesting to me. Not sure yet how many places I can see on this trip but Melbourne's tempting for the Stones. I a big tennis fan so it might be interesting to see them at Rod Laver.

Hanging Rock does look amazing but I'll probably be on my own (brother not a stones fan) and can't drive so think I'll stick to venues easy to get to and from.

Do not miss Melbourne!!! Sydney is great to visit for a few days, but Melbourne is where to hang out, at least in this American's opinion.

Date: April 17, 2014 19:42

Thanks, BluzDude.

It's good to get people's opinions - especially as I still can't quite believe I'll be going!

Depending on my budget (especially if I see the stones whilst out there) I may only be able to do one place other than Adelaide on this trip. But with my brother moving there permanently, I'll get other opportunities. smiling smiley And New Zealand's definitely on my list to visit as well!

Melbourne does sound nice, and other people I know have recommended it to me.

Adelaide looks lovely from the photos I've seen. More than slightly envious of my brother!

Date: April 17, 2014 19:56

MarthaTuesday
Thanks, BluzDude.

It's good to get people's opinions - especially as I still can't quite believe I'll be going!

Depending on my budget (especially if I see the stones whilst out there) I may only be able to do one place other than Adelaide on this trip. But with my brother moving there permanently, I'll get other opportunities. smiling smiley And New Zealand's definitely on my list to visit as well!

Adelaide looks lovely from the photos I've seen. More than slightly envious of my brother!

You need at least a couple weeks to do New Zealand justice. I started in Queenstown (south) and drove up to Aukland (with a couple short fights in between) and realized I could have easily allowed for more time as there was still a lot I did not get to see. The one thing I took home from New Zealand was the feeling that I could easily retire there.

Date: April 17, 2014 20:34

BluzDude
MarthaTuesday
Thanks, BluzDude.

You need at least a couple weeks to do New Zealand justice. I started in Queenstown (south) and drove up to Aukland (with a couple short fights in between) and realized I could have easily allowed for more time as there was still a lot I did not get to see. The one thing I took home from New Zealand was the feeling that I could easily retire there.

I haven't even been there but that appeals to me too! People I've met from there and friends who've visited have all loved it. And it looks beautiful. Although my brother suggested I avoid Wellington airport (I'm a slightly nervous flyer) so I'm bearing that in mind.

I think if I'm realistic I won't have time for New Zealand this time but I plan to visit my brother regularly so hopefully can go next time.

Date: April 17, 2014 20:45

MarthaTuesday
BluzDude
MarthaTuesday
Thanks, BluzDude.

I haven't even been there but that appeals to me too! People I've met from there and friends who've visited have all loved it. And it looks beautiful. Although my brother suggested I avoid Wellington airport (I'm a slightly nervous flyer) so I'm bearing that in mind.

I think if I'm realistic I won't have time for New Zealand this time but I plan to visit my brother regularly so hopefully can go next time.

Didn't have any problem with Wellington airport, except a lot of the planes that fly in and out are small prop planes, In fact when I was there I was greated by a giant Gollum (I will post a pix if I get a chance).

Date: April 17, 2014 20:48

Yes, please do post that Gollum picture!

I am a slighly nervous flyer - but the lure of Down Under and seeing the stones will help me get through that (I hope!). Maybe my brother just had a bad experience at Wellington - I'll ask him. He's not nervous about flying at all. He loves it and even had flying lessons a few years ago.

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: April 18, 2014 01:08

MarthaTuesday
Maybe my brother just had a bad experience at Wellington - I'll ask him.

Wellington Airport used to be a nightmare before they installed jetbridges. But John Lennon made it through OK: [www.google.com]

Date: April 18, 2014 08:56

Wellington Airport - December 2012

Posted by: boynamedsue69 ()
Date: April 18, 2014 10:25

BluzDude

Wellington Airport - December 2012

thats how rockman looked the morning after the night before in LA hahaha..

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 18, 2014 11:31

......Geeeeeeeez I had ta push-start her Volkswagen on me own in the blazing LA sun ..

ROCKMAN

Date: April 18, 2014 11:43

Rockman
......Geeeeeeeez I had ta push-start her Volkswagen on me own in the blazing LA sun ..

well ya wouldn't share so therefore ya shoulda done all the work man......

Posted by: jammingedward ()
Date: April 18, 2014 12:27

MarthaTuesday
Deathgod

You will be able to get a bus to and from Melbourne city centre to Hanging Rock easily and cheaply. They will be selling bus tickets on ticketmaster.

Hanging Rock and Rod Laver are easily the two best venues on the tour. Also Melbourne is the closest city to Adelaide.
Try and make those shows if you can!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-18 12:28 by jammingedward.

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: April 18, 2014 13:42

jammingedward

You will be able to get a bus to and from Melbourne city centre to Hanging Rock easily and cheaply. They will be selling bus tickets on ticketmaster.

Hanging Rock and Rod Laver are easily the two best venues on the tour. Also Melbourne is the closest city to Adelaide.
Try and make those shows if you can!!

A good place to start is [www.frontiertouring.com]. Read what's there.

That will then take you to the Stones own FAQ, where there's a link to [www.melbourneonthemove.com.au]

They are not buses (as such) but coaches that will be taking people there from a number of pre-booked pickup point in Melbourne.

Don't rely on timetabled buses (the venue is too far from the nearest town to walk there), and there's absolutely no co-ordination with the (rural) trains that pass through Woodend.

Remember, slightly confusingly, the Rod Laver tickets are from Ticketek, and Hanging Rock from Ticketmaster.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-18 13:45 by CaptainCorella.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 18, 2014 17:36

drbryant
Irix
bv

Just like they have played in every single city in USA with more than one million people over the years, including Missoula, Wichita, Louisville, Albany, Portland OR and so on and on, they want to perform in the main cities of Australia, where it takes several hours to fly between each city. The travel from Perth to Adelaide is like NYC to Las Vegas.

My post with the number of shows per inhabitants wasn't meant entirely seriously, therefore the winking smiley

Yes, it seems there is at the moment a huge demand in AUS/NZ, the Stones have fun to tour there and this is a good thing. What has astonished me that 27.5 mill. people have generated nearly the same demand (203000 seats) like the 352 mill. people in US/CAN (ca. 252000 seats), counted together the venue capacities from the IORR Tour dates page.

The distances in AUS/NZ are large, but not larger than in North America or Europe. While Perth-Adelaide is 2140 km, a fan from Wichita in Kansas had last year to travel about 2000 km either to West- or East coast. Melbourne-Hanging Rock or Sydney-Hunter Valley aren't far away, Sydney-Brisbane is about 735 km. Similar distances in Europe: Lisbon-Berlin 2300 km, Oslo-Rome 2000 km, according to the Google Maps distance measuring tool.

I don't wanna distort the reality with statistics or write a PhD thesis ..... only some thoughts about effort / costs and demand in general. smiling smiley

The shows have different economics. As I am sure you remember from Econ 101, demand decreases as prices increase. Ticket prices in the US were much higher, across the board, than in Australia. It's entirely possible that the demand curves are identical (or very similar) in the US and Australia, but that the difference you see in ticket sales is entirely a function of differing prices.

Dr. Bryant, are you saying then that the demand elasticities are the same (I'm showing off, yes.)? I wonder what metrics would go in to determining that.

If there are new dates in North America perhaps that would bring lower prices across the board as well. On the other hand, even if the individual shows didn't all sell out (and they most certainly did not), that doesn't mean that they didn't make more money than they would have by offering the tix at a lower price.

Date: April 19, 2014 01:51

Hanging Rock and Rod Laver is easily the two best venue on the tour .... wish they'd add a second Rod Laver

ROCKMAN

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 19, 2014 04:38

Rockman
Hanging Rock and Rod Laver is easily the two best venue on the tour .... wish they'd add a second Rod Laver

That sound suspiciously close to Land Rover.

I wonder if Rod Laver drives a Land Rover?

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: April 19, 2014 05:17

Perth Arena is better than Rod Laver. I have seen Springsteen in both over past 14 mths. Rod Laver brilliant no doubt but Perth slightly better in sight line and acoustics.

Posted by: Deathgod ()
Date: April 19, 2014 10:40

Laver will be sensational.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: April 19, 2014 11:02

Rod Laver is where they play the Australian Open tennis, yes? I always wanted to go there one day for that, never dreamed of the Stones appearing there. O that I had more $$$.

Date: April 19, 2014 11:59

Is it the venue itself, or the fans that occupy the arena?

Date: April 19, 2014 12:03

....all we need now is a Sydney-ite ta turn up ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: kahoosier ()
Date: April 19, 2014 12:11

Well I must be excited considering I keep posting drinking smiley I leave Perth after the second show and should arrive in Melbourne on the second. Hope to see you Rockman, at least one night drinks are on me! I've never been to Melbourne, suspect I am in for a great time. hot smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-19 14:43 by kahoosier.

Date: April 19, 2014 13:10

BluzDude
Is it the venue itself, or the fans that occupy the arena?

the venue is pretty damm good bluzdude. keith has commented on previous tours about how good the sound is. will be interested to see what the volume is like in perth..

Posted by: jammingedward ()
Date: April 19, 2014 14:26

Maybe I will just have to go and check this Perth arena out then!

I'm hoping to try for lucky dip tickets and hope Tiger still have $99 flights from Melbourne...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-19 15:54 by jammingedward.

Posted by: kahoosier ()
Date: April 19, 2014 14:45

My understanding is that the Perth Arena is brand new. Although the Stones have played Perth, not at this arena.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-19 14:45 by kahoosier.

Date: April 19, 2014 15:05

Hope to see you Rockman, at least one night drinks are on me!
I've never been to Melbourne, suspect I am in for a great time.

You will Steve ... and yeah she's a good town ... We'll have a laugh!!!

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Montrealsuperfan ()
Date: April 19, 2014 17:32

Very happy with Viagogo - got a full refund for my Rod Laver tickets- big $. They even refunded booking fees, taxes etc.

I am now plotting my return with the new dates. Too risky to miss this as time really does wait for no man and what is happening with Malcolm Young is making me very nervous.

Posted by: colonial ()
Date: April 20, 2014 14:42

Rockman
Hope to see you Rockman, at least one night drinks are on me!
I've never been to Melbourne, suspect I am in for a great time.

You will Steve ... and yeah she's a good town ... We'll have a laugh!!!

Rockman..Stones concert the day after Melbourne Cup plus its a public holiday..THE VIBE about Melbourne will be unreal the pre and post concert parties it'll be great yea smileys with beer

--------------
ColonialstoneNZ
--------------

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: April 22, 2014 01:06

Cristiano Radtke
This is the video postcard:

It's so very nice to hear Mick talking to his fans again! Thumbs up for the man!

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 3 of 6

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1753
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home