Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: What is your personal point of view about the Stones?
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 20, 2014 16:47

Witness
I would love them to go into the studio with Mick Taylor taking part as an as if fulltime member of the band and record new songs. Most of those songs might at the outset be finished song ideas from Mick Jagger or Keith Richards. Then I would like the band to use some time in the studio and hopefully reconstruct some of those songs by playing them around there. During that process I would expect Mick Taylor to contribute to change the chemistry of the band by virtue of his more improvising way of playing. During this process I hope that Jagger and Richards also would present some unfinished song ideas for the band to take part in the finishing of those ideas. And I would want the band to approch such studio activity with the same experimentative spirit as they did during BRIDGES TO BABYLON, which I consider as a semi-great album in the scope of the Stones issue. (The evaluation with which I also look upon the less daring album A BIGGER BANG.)

Added: With some of such new songs integrated in their setlist, the Stones would have an occasion, if they need one, to return to Hyde Park and concert venues in the USA, that they recently played. And those concerts would have the special attraction of featuring live a three guitar set-up including Mick Taylor to be playing on all new songs.

I'd love all of that as well. I'd also love to know exactly why MT is being dragged across the world only to be featured on 2 or 3 songs.

Whose decision is that and why? Mick's? Keith's? MT himself? There must be a damn good reason...I would like to know the rationale. I would be afraid that it would be the same rationale to not feature MT on a new album, or limit him to one or two songs.

Date: April 20, 2014 17:56

No doubt they were the greatest R&R etc.

Maybe they were always greedy for money and I didn't realize it. However since more than a decade I boycott their concerts because I think their ticket prices are way too high and I would feel like an idiot paying them to be one ant out of 50'000 in a stinking football stadium without enough beer or peeholes.

What they are doing is not only cheek but even the fan in me says it's a crime. I don't support it.

Posted by: WindyHorses ()
Date: April 20, 2014 18:36

I liked Bigger Bang and thought it was a fine album. I listen to it all the time.
I like the last two "new" tracks as well. Doom and Gloom is one of my favorite tracks.
I liked Plundered My Soul too. I don't hold with the idea that ONLY the Rolling Stones'past albums were great.
I would love to hear a new album from the guys, but Mick knows many people only want the oldies. I love it that all the guys do other things-not just be Rolling Stones. Artists explore and create. I welcome changes and embrace them.
Many folks don't like "NEW".

Posted by: Dreamer ()
Date: April 20, 2014 18:44

Very exciting band who used to make very good albums and did very good shows. Plenty of fun to be with on tour. Very nice band members. Very nice crew smoking smiley And very nice fans on the road as well!
And they still give us that very special feeling whenever something's cooking!
Their influence is so overwhelming I still don't know how to live according to all those rules society would like me to follow; in a way I'm still a bohemian and that's not always such an easy life style when you're not a millionaire confused smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-20 18:46 by Dreamer.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: April 20, 2014 19:44

I'm not so sure they were right to tour the US in 2013 as I found most shows underwhelming.
Same goes for I've heard from 2014. Maybe they should have done 20 or 25 shows at the end of 2012 in the O2 as a "farewell to thee" residency...

Posted by: Dreamer ()
Date: April 20, 2014 22:43

dcba
I'm not so sure they were right to tour the US in 2013 as I found most shows underwhelming.
Same goes for I've heard from 2014. Maybe they should have done 20 or 25 shows at the end of 2012 in the O2 as a "farewell to thee" residency...

After the club shows and Stripped was the last good opportunity to bring it down.

Date: April 20, 2014 23:39

Dreamer
dcba

After the club shows and Stripped was the last good opportunity to bring it down.

Then I would have missed the excellent O2 1-show smiling smiley

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: April 20, 2014 23:50

Usually Keith's side, about 9 rows back.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: April 21, 2014 01:24

Great music. Talented artist. Dubious morality. Shameless users. Now, seemingly nicer older gentlemen.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: April 21, 2014 02:04

One of amazement; that after all those years, for lots of us, there are still a musical force to reckon with.I mean, they still sell out shows around the world!!!
Rock and roll,
Mops

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: April 21, 2014 05:23

whitem8
Great music. Talented artist. Dubious morality. Shameless users. Now, seemingly nicer older gentlemen.

Well put

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: April 21, 2014 05:52

SomeTorontoGirl

Usually Keith's side, about 9 rows back.

Nice. I like the profile shots of Mick.

Posted by: josepi ()
Date: April 21, 2014 08:32

Two of the biggest influences on my life have been The Stones and the Ford Mustang. Now as the 50 year anniversaries are passing for both, it is interesting to note the similarities. Incidentally, i've been to 34 Stones concerts and have owned 9 Mustangs.

Stones 1(1962-1-69 1st generation w/Brian Jones)
Mustang 1 (1964-1973 1st generation)

The world was changing, and music and muscle cars were right at the forefront of the modern revolution. The Stones and the Mustang were at the head of the class. Cruising down the highway with the top down in a '69 Mustang while cranking up the Stones on the AM radio. Life would never be better.

Stones 2 (1969-1974 2nd generation w/Mick Taylor)
Mustang 2 (1974-1978 2nd generation)

The maturation of the music revolution, and in particular the Stones w/Taylor, reached it's zenith. The Mustang 2 was a bit of a letdown, IMO.

Stones 3 (1975-1990). The Wood/Wyman years. Still a great band, but a little more pedestrian.
Mustang 3 (1979-1993). Even MORE pedestrian than the Stones.

Stones 4 (1994-2007). STILL exciting times for The Stones, with a slightly new and bolder approach. Better than Stones 3. By a mouse hair.
Mustang 4 (1994-2004). Better than the Mustang 3. By a mouse hair.

Stones 5 (2012-2014). Mick Taylor's back! N-e-e-d I s-a-y m-o-r-e. Even if just for a few songs per show, the excitement level (for me anyway) is as great as it has been since Stones 2.
Mustang 5 (2005-2014). The retro look is back! The 2012, 2013 Boss 302's are my favorite muscle cars ever produced. 5G is the best version of the Mustang yet, in my opinion.

Stones 6(20?? - 20??). Who knows what the future will bring.
Mustang 6 (2015-20??). I can't like it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-21 08:34 by josepi.

Posted by: MarkSchneider ()
Date: April 24, 2014 16:34

Hits of childhood, music for life.
What'd I say, Apache, I want to hold your hand, The House of the Rising Sun, I get around, A hard day's night, Mr Tambourine Man (Byrds version) were the musical milestones of my young years.
Then came It's all over now by the Rolling Stones, with a raw and unique sound. Irresistible. And Tell me, a song (and a thread smiling smiley ) I cherish...
In 1965 came a miracle named Satisfaction on the radio (as I’m french I funnily understood: "ce qu'il fait chaud!" ie "what a heat!"). Which made me a die hard fan, a demanding one. High expectations, hopes and desillusions...
Every annoucement of a new hit was a promise (Get off of my cloud, Mother’s little helper, Paint it black, Have you seen...), and a matter of disapointment... Although good, sometimes excellent, the new songs simply couldn’t reach the level of Satisfaction. I had to admit there was no room for another Satisfaction. What could Beethoven do after the 9th Symphony? The Rolling Stones had their ups and down, more or less insight, more or less success. They were human beings, not gods. So sure?
A stellar surprise came in 1968 with Jumping Jack Flash. The gods were back.
Then I attended an immense live performance, at the Palais des sports, Paris - September 1970. THIS WAS THE SOUND (even if I was not fond of brass section like on Brown Sugar)! The same sound we’d get on the album Get yer yaya’s out a few weeks later. The Stones were ROCKnROLL
Then came Sympathy for the Devil (actually earlier), the ecstatic Gimme Shelter and historic concerts with Mick Taylor.
In those times, the Rolling Stones were gods. We all were gods!

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-27 22:23 by MarkSchneider.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: April 24, 2014 17:01

josepi
Two of the biggest influences on my life have been The Stones and the Ford Mustang. Now as the 50 year anniversaries are passing for both, it is interesting to note the similarities. Incidentally, i've been to 34 Stones concerts and have owned 9 Mustangs.

Stones 1(1962-1-69 1st generation w/Brian Jones)
Mustang 1 (1964-1973 1st generation)

The world was changing, and music and muscle cars were right at the forefront of the modern revolution. The Stones and the Mustang were at the head of the class. Cruising down the highway with the top down in a '69 Mustang while cranking up the Stones on the AM radio. Life would never be better.

Stones 2 (1969-1974 2nd generation w/Mick Taylor)
Mustang 2 (1974-1978 2nd generation)

The maturation of the music revolution, and in particular the Stones w/Taylor, reached it's zenith. The Mustang 2 was a bit of a letdown, IMO.

Stones 3 (1975-1990). The Wood/Wyman years. Still a great band, but a little more pedestrian.
Mustang 3 (1979-1993). Even MORE pedestrian than the Stones.

Stones 4 (1994-2007). STILL exciting times for The Stones, with a slightly new and bolder approach. Better than Stones 3. By a mouse hair.
Mustang 4 (1994-2004). Better than the Mustang 3. By a mouse hair.

Stones 5 (2012-2014). Mick Taylor's back! N-e-e-d I s-a-y m-o-r-e. Even if just for a few songs per show, the excitement level (for me anyway) is as great as it has been since Stones 2.
Mustang 5 (2005-2014). The retro look is back! The 2012, 2013 Boss 302's are my favorite muscle cars ever produced. 5G is the best version of the Mustang yet, in my opinion.

Stones 6(20?? - 20??). Who knows what the future will bring.
Mustang 6 (2015-20??). I can't like it.

interesting parallel, the Stones and the 'Stang...

will the car be retired is the question..or likely itll keep going through re-designs etc..

Posted by: Turning To Gold ()
Date: April 24, 2014 19:47

Sadly, Keith is a shell of his former self. There will be no glorious new album of great new Stones songs, because sadly, Keith has no more new ideas.... I just watched a rerun the other day on cable TV, of him playing that noodly little "Only Found Out Yesterday" or "Spanish Ladies" guitar bit, that showed up on some little extras documentary clip from the Pirates of The Caribbean set.... The SAME song he played in Shine A Light....Keith Richards does "Key To The Highway" at 2013 Clapton Crossroads set, the same exact "Key To The Highway" he does on the '78 tapes, on Johnnie Johnson's 1991 album, again live with Johnny Depp And Friends etc....

Keith has certain "party tracks" or covers that he can play, to "sing for his supper" in a brief celebrity cameo. And he can still hammer out semi-recognizable versions of most of the Stones classic riffs, most of the time. But creatively, the guy is running on fumes and has been that way for a very very long time. I would not hold my breath expecting anything big or creative from him, anytime soon. Jagger on the other hand, despite his recent personal setbacks, seems just as vital and phenomenal a performer as ever.

It's very interesting to me, that my "personal point of view" about the two MAIN Stones, has flipped completely 180 degrees from what I used to think about them many years ago. I have to ask, how many of their great albums was Mick the one who picked them up and carried the band across the final finish line, and how many albums can Keith really say, "I went in there and made the final push and finished it off, when the album stalled and someone needed to take the reins."

Exile was started in Keith's house and finished in L.A., and what we hear in the story about the Stones sessions in in LA, is that Mick did this and Mick did that, Mick brought this guy in or that, in fact you don't ever hear about Richards doing ANYTHING to finish a Stones album or really bring it home to completion. And they certainly don't write together any more. So that is why I think it will not happen.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: April 24, 2014 22:37

The Stones are not just a Rock band, they are not just the most enduring rock band.

I have met and made friends from all around the world because of the Rolling Stonescool smiley To me, that is a great gift. Long Live the Rolling Stones!

Posted by: vertigojoe ()
Date: April 24, 2014 22:57

Turning To Gold
Sadly, Keith is a shell of his former self. There will be no glorious new album of great new Stones songs, because sadly, Keith has no more new ideas.... I just watched a rerun the other day on cable TV, of him playing that noodly little "Only Found Out Yesterday" or "Spanish Ladies" guitar bit, that showed up on some little extras documentary clip from the Pirates of The Caribbean set.... The SAME song he played in Shine A Light....Keith Richards does "Key To The Highway" at 2013 Clapton Crossroads set, the same exact "Key To The Highway" he does on the '78 tapes, on Johnnie Johnson's 1991 album, again live with Johnny Depp And Friends etc....

Keith has certain "party tracks" or covers that he can play, to "sing for his supper" in a brief celebrity cameo. And he can still hammer out semi-recognizable versions of most of the Stones classic riffs, most of the time. But creatively, the guy is running on fumes and has been that way for a very very long time. I would not hold my breath expecting anything big or creative from him, anytime soon. Jagger on the other hand, despite his recent personal setbacks, seems just as vital and phenomenal a performer as ever.

It's very interesting to me, that my "personal point of view" about the two MAIN Stones, has flipped completely 180 degrees from what I used to think about them many years ago. I have to ask, how many of their great albums was Mick the one who picked them up and carried the band across the final finish line, and how many albums can Keith really say, "I went in there and made the final push and finished it off, when the album stalled and someone needed to take the reins."

Exile was started in Keith's house and finished in L.A., and what we hear in the story about the Stones sessions in in LA, is that Mick did this and Mick did that, Mick brought this guy in or that, in fact you don't ever hear about Richards doing ANYTHING to finish a Stones album or really bring it home to completion. And they certainly don't write together any more. So that is why I think it will not happen.

Spot on. Great analysis

Posted by: angee ()
Date: April 25, 2014 01:05

Turning To Gold, not to disagree, but which "recent personal setbacks" of Mick's are you talking about?

As far as I know, he hasn't performed since the death of L'Wren, or are you going back to his divorce
from Jerry or where?

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: JuanTCB ()
Date: April 25, 2014 04:33

They're the legacy act of legacy acts. They have nothing left to prove because they wrote the book. They're no longer nearly as great as they were but it doesn't really matter because nobody else got anywhere near where they were at their peak, so you're still seeing the best band that's ever been.

The 12.12.12 show rammed the point home for me. You had Bruce, the Who, McCartney... and when the Stones came out for a brief little 2 song interlude mid-show, they just overshadowed everything - everyone else I listed seemed puny in comparison. They are so larger than life at this point it's not even funny.

They've entered the victory lap phase of their careers. Enjoy it, because we're never, ever going to see the likes of them again.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: April 25, 2014 05:16

JuanTCB, beautifully said.

Date: April 25, 2014 06:40

I think the recent tragedy will ultimately bring Mick and Keith all the way back as friends and as co-writers. Even before recent events I seem to recall Keith saying something about Mick telling him that they better get back in the studio sometime this year. With the re-scheduled shows down under that probably now means sometime next year unless they decide to do something after the Euro tour is over this summer. They would have all of July, August, and September to record new music before hitting the road again in late October. Regardless, I think they will do a new album before they call it quits.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: April 25, 2014 19:50

stonesrule
JuanTCB, beautifully said.

Ditto!! thumbs up

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: April 25, 2014 20:25

"What is your personal point of view about the Stones"

So what is "your point of view" if it's not "personal" then? Good grief. When making a headline, it's a good idea to use proper English

Date: April 25, 2014 20:28

My view is......
My "personal view" is that supposed to be something pervert? Are we supposed to tell everything here?

Date: April 25, 2014 20:30

Well, I like tits, so there's that.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: April 25, 2014 20:38

Erik, your perky little posts made my day.

Date: April 25, 2014 20:40

Early on the sauce this evening, Erik? smileys with beer

Posted by: andrea66 ()
Date: April 25, 2014 20:54

I simply cannot think that Sooner or later i won't see them anymore. Am i childish? Maybe. It's my favorite band, they have always been with me, and i think that my feeling , at the end of all, is a projecton of the fact that i hate to see me while i get old. I am 48 , i follow them since some girls.

Date: April 25, 2014 20:58

DandelionPowderman
Early on the sauce this evening, Erik? smileys with beer
s

Not at all, Dandy. And I think your question is somewhat rude actually, allthough I am sure you meant well.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1474
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home