Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: What is your personal point of view about the Stones?
Posted by: Powerage ()
Date: April 13, 2014 18:54

With the Beatles, The Stones have no equivalent in the rock.

A fantastic band, with masterpiece records, especially from 1965 to 1974.

But, less impressive on stage since ten years IMO, because Keith is not really Keith anymore since 2006. He was the engine.

Fan since 1981, and yes that it has become a bit boring to hear their "Best of..." much less better played than they did during the seventies until 1995.

On the top with Mick Taylor era, a fantastic guitarist. Nice to see him again on stage with them. To loop the loop.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-13 23:17 by Powerage.

Posted by: onestep ()
Date: April 13, 2014 20:20

That question would promote a long emotional response, as we know music heals, the way they play it, strikes me right...it's the chemistry.

Their music always spoke to me, when I had very difficult times when I was young...gave me attitude I needed as an orphaned pre-adolescent.

Their catalog is so varied, that you can find something to play in the background at any party to make the attendees ask....IS THAT THE ROLLING STONES? You gotta remember, most people don't know their music like we do.

They always came through live....to the point that I would do anything to catch a show...but only if I could get in the first 5 rows...because it is a different thing from there...that no Pay-per-view, or video can duplicate..I mean you are there with them at that point...dressed for the outing...and prepped...with your group, the adrenaline that comes with that doesn't come out of a monitor. The band interacts with the audience.

So I guess my point of view of The Stones is a live band...that's what they are, and will ever be...through all their different incarnations, they still put on the best show they can, and I love them for it. They give us all they can live, and don't have to record another note, unless they feel like it.

Who are The Stones to me..halfway through the concert..Midnight Rambler, from 5th row center, in MSG...with Mick hitting me in the head with a cup of water, when I was burnin up, and Keith giving a nod...those kind of interactions are all we can expect from The Rolling Stones...and they give em to us...if we can get close enough.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 13, 2014 21:10

Love them, dislike them.

Love to see them live (most of the time), but dislike a large majority (95%) of studio recordings of the last 30 or so years.

Thankfully they have a large enough pre-Undercover catalogue to enjoy, but as with anything, even that can get monotonous after a while.

Last time I listened to a full album front to back was a few months ago and it was Exile...hard to beat that.
And then there's the old standby for when friends are over - Hot Rocks...great variety on that one.

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: April 14, 2014 01:16

DoomandGloom
After the last tour, I am proud to be their fan. They've made up for some of those crummy tours of the past, sounding authentic and true to themselves right now. They are also nice people and have been true blue to their current sidemen. Part of the "problem" with Bill returning is they don't have it in them to fire Darrell.

i skipped the crummy tours, but i agree completely that they - and we - can be proud of the performances they have been turning in on this tour.

Posted by: Vwoods747 ()
Date: April 14, 2014 03:01

The soundtrack to my Life.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: April 14, 2014 03:35

<< They are also nice people and have been true blue to their current sidemen. Part of the "problem" with Bill returning is they don't have it in them to fire Darrell.>>

The only "problem" is that Bill didn't want to return. In the mid-2000s he revealed in a radio interview that Mick and Keith kept the door open for him every tour after he left. Before hiring Darryl for a tour they would first ask Bill whether he would like a job for 2 years, and Bill would always turn it down. They never wanted Bill to leave in the first place and would have gladly had him back at any time, but when Bill left, he really left. He has "grown up" and moved on in life, and has no need to return to a situation that only left him personally unhappy and artistically unfulfilled in the end.

Date: April 14, 2014 04:15

stonehearted
They never wanted Bill to leave in the first place and would have gladly had him back at any time, but when Bill left, he really left. He has "grown up" and moved on in life, and has no need to return to a situation that only left him personally unhappy and artistically unfulfilled in the end.

ok, i apologize in advance, but of course someone had to do it... pic of Bill in his post-Stones life:

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: April 14, 2014 04:48

I hope they create one last album. A great one... Not an attempt to be modern or in any way 'cash in'. Just dig deep, take their time, and release something great. WITH TAYLOR GUESTING.

They wont do it. Instead they'll opt for the victory lap tour, playing very few rare songs.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: April 14, 2014 04:53

<<pic of Bill in his post-Stones life>>

He looks quite content there, doesn't he? And that's his own patented metal detector--he never would have been able to sell that as part of Stones merchandising. Could you have seen that at the merch stalls outside of concert halls, metal detectors alongside T-shirts and jackets and so on?

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: April 14, 2014 05:12

stonehearted
<<pic of Bill in his post-Stones life>>

He looks quite content there, doesn't he? And that's his own patented metal detector--he never would have been able to sell that as part of Stones merchandising. Could you have seen that at the merch stalls outside of concert halls, metal detectors alongside T-shirts and jackets and so on?

no more ridiculous or cheesier than the line of bobble-headed dolls, to be honest.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: April 14, 2014 05:31

...I'd be thrilled if they gave life to the Some Girls bonus tracks....I miss the days they took risks...but they don't owe us anything....their contributions are many.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: April 14, 2014 08:01

sonomastone
stonehearted
They never wanted Bill to leave in the first place and would have gladly had him back at any time, but when Bill left, he really left. He has "grown up" and moved on in life, and has no need to return to a situation that only left him personally unhappy and artistically unfulfilled in the end.

ok, i apologize in advance, but of course someone had to do it... pic of Bill in his post-Stones life:

So, he'll never live this down? My god he's written numerous books since the Stones, toured more than they have with his group, released a wonderful DVD 'Bill Wyman's Blues Odyssey', and owns a long time successful restaurant, Sticky Fingers. All Keith's done in that time is fall out of a tree.

Date: April 14, 2014 08:06

24FPS
sonomastone
stonehearted

So, he'll never live this down? My god he's written numerous books since the Stones, toured more than they have with his group, released a wonderful DVD 'Bill Wyman's Blues Odyssey', and owns a long time successful restaurant, Sticky Fingers. All Keith's done in that time is fall out of a tree.

if bill is happy and content, i applaud his choices. ditto keith, who may view fatherhood, grandfatherhood, starring in blockbuster movies, writing a book, playing 100s of gigs, helping his wife battle cancer, etc differently from you.

Posted by: Bellajane ()
Date: April 14, 2014 16:06

I'm thinking about their "bad boy" image that has endured throughout their entire career. In the Chicago Tribue the Stones were recently referred to as vintage hellraisers! They'll never outgrow that image even if it's not entirely true (for some of the members at least) and blown way out of proportion IMO. They are/were no worse or better at the offstage extra-curricular activities than any other band during that period..and beyond. I was just reading an article about Three Dog Night! At the time they were considered to be really clean-cut, all around good guys. Male version of an American sweetheart if you will. That was hardly the case, and I'll say no more. The Stones; however, got most of the press in that regard, plus they had their image created and promoted by Andrew Loog Oldham. Makes me wonder if the "bad boy" image had not been contrived for them, what would their image be? Would they have lasted this long, or faded into obscurity?

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: April 14, 2014 17:51

They've made some pretty damn good albums post-Tattoo You. Voodoo Lounge and Stripped are particularly strong.

They could go into a recording studio, grab some acoustics, and play a bunch of old blues numbers they probably know by heart already. It would get great reviews, would be fantastic, and initial sales would be enough to get it near the top of most charts, since so few people buy albums these days.

That would be nice.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: April 14, 2014 18:46

stonehearted
<< They are also nice people and have been true blue to their current sidemen. Part of the "problem" with Bill returning is they don't have it in them to fire Darrell.>>

The only "problem" is that Bill didn't want to return. In the mid-2000s he revealed in a radio interview that Mick and Keith kept the door open for him every tour after he left. Before hiring Darryl for a tour they would first ask Bill whether he would like a job for 2 years, and Bill would always turn it down. They never wanted Bill to leave in the first place and would have gladly had him back at any time, but when Bill left, he really left. He has "grown up" and moved on in life, and has no need to return to a situation that only left him personally unhappy and artistically unfulfilled in the end.
is this true in 2013/14??

Posted by: maloup ()
Date: April 15, 2014 15:37

I think they should have stopped years ago.Always playing the same songs,I'm
really tired of these spoiled old men behaving infantile especially Mick and
Keith.

Posted by: TrulyMicks ()
Date: April 15, 2014 17:52

Personnally, I would love to see them record a new studio album. I have loved songs off of each of their albums and have hope they (ahem, Mick), have some good tunes still to come. I don't have much of an interest in them doing an album of covers. For live performances, I would like to see a more interesting setlist and stripped down playing, smaller venues.

And the world keeps turning
And life goes on
The world keeps turning
May your heart stay strong.....

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: April 15, 2014 18:17

That they really ended after UNDERCOVER as a creative force. REWIND was the last hits comp that mattered. The two LPs that followed are garbage, really, and the post-Wymanless albums, what, a whopping 3 albums, have been underwhelming at times.

I've somewhat enjoyed what they've done since Wyman quit but it's not been the same. In fact, Keith's 3 songs on BRIDGES are the best of what's happened since Wyman left.

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: April 15, 2014 18:44

A blues album would be fantastic. Although they have been uber-famous for their entire adult lives, and wealthy for most of them, no one makes it to 70 without experiencing some suffering and loss.

Very prophetically, Mick, when writing about getting older, described it - 'How the years they rush on by...Birthdays, kids and suicides'.

One writer said about Mick that he had a voice that comes along once in a lifetime, a voice made for the blues. He really could create an unforgettable masterpiece if he chose to.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: April 15, 2014 19:01

most photogenic band in history..

arguable of course but to me, the coolest looking band ever..the music sounds like they look..

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: April 15, 2014 22:41

My point of view on the Stones? Great band.

New album? I don't see it. I think some tarted up outtakes like the bonus discs of EOMS and SG are still happening.

Posted by: beachbreak ()
Date: April 15, 2014 23:12

They could do a new album but should mix it up and do away with the "Elizabethan" ballads like the one on Bigger Bang with the harpsichord and the lyrics "There's a new guy in town...........", too cheezy.

Keith is a fantastic country player and singer, check his stuff with Willie Nelson and "All The King's Men".

They also play raggae great. Get Up, Stand Up live was fantastic.

Not to mention Doom & Gloom and One More Shot are really good songs.

Back of My Hand is fantastic, authentic blues.

They have it in them still.

The question is, can they get it out at this stage of their lives, due to other external factors like family, economics, health, etc?

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: April 15, 2014 23:49

potentially still think the stones have some mileage regarding what they could do in future, but they might not have the time.

potentially there is enough unfinished outtakes to create several tattoo you style albums, many see tattoo you as not new but to me it was, dosent really matter when a song is started, its when its completed that really counts.

i think the exile and some girls outtakes were good but would have prefered it had they released these songs as a brand new album and not an attachment of the former 2.

so plenty of outtakes and unreleased material they could work on, still think they could write and record a couple of new albums and if they pace themselves they can still tour.

even when they are no longer with us, there is still plenty in the vaults that can be released by the record companies.

i hope the stones finish when one of the band members is either dead or no longer capable, dont want to see the name rolling stones continue as a franchise with different band members replacing those outgoing ones.

theres also plenty of concert footage of old that can pop up on various dvd,s or cd,s.

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: April 16, 2014 10:20

duke richardson
most photogenic band in history..

arguable of course but to me, the coolest looking band ever..the music sounds like they look..

A very rare photo of the last time Bill smiled.

Posted by: Phil Good ()
Date: April 16, 2014 12:52

Was a fan from 1964 on.
Saw them first in 1967. Great.
Early 70ies even better.
Began loosing interest around 2000.
Last tour I attended 2007.
Still like and listen to "England's newest Hit Makers" 'til "Exike".

Date: April 16, 2014 12:57

Phil Good
Was a fan from 1964 on.
Saw them first in 1967. Great.
Early 70ies even better.
Began loosing interest around 2000.
Last tour I attended 2007.
Still like and listen to "England's newest Hit Makers" 'til "Exike".

tell me your secret for suriving the 80s and 90s...!

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: April 20, 2014 08:24

My POV on the Stones? As someone else said, they are the soundtrack to my life. I remember being about 5 years old and hearing the (then) brand new Satisfaction on my sister's transistor radio and knowing I was hearing something special. I had no idea what their lyrics were all about but the music just blew me away. Then my older brothers started bringing home the albums and I was transfixed by everything, the beat, the sound, Jagger's voice, and how cool they looked. A fan for life was in the making. The real hook was when I finally got to see how cool they looked playing onstage when a local TV station showed Gimme Shelter. That was the point where I became convinced there was no one cooler than Keith Richards. I was 10 years old. and so it went for my whole life. Today I'm 54 and thrilled that the Stones are still scheduling shows in Europe even if I can't go there and see them. At least I did see some great live shows in '78, '81, '89' '02, '05, and '06. I think when the Stones do hang it up, that is when I will finally start to feel old.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: April 20, 2014 11:05

I'd love to hear an introspective electric minimalistic two finger blues from Keith, in open G on the Zemiathis or possibly a Les Paul.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: April 20, 2014 13:06

I would love them to go into the studio with Mick Taylor taking part as an as if fulltime member of the band and record new songs. Most of those songs might at the outset be finished song ideas from Mick Jagger or Keith Richards. Then I would like the band to use some time in the studio and hopefully reconstruct some of those songs by playing them around there. During that process I would expect Mick Taylor to contribute to change the chemistry of the band by virtue of his more improvising way of playing. During this process I hope that Jagger and Richards also would present some unfinished song ideas for the band to take part in the finishing of those ideas. And I would want the band to approch such studio activity with the same experimentative spirit as they did during BRIDGES TO BABYLON, which I consider as a semi-great album in the scope of the Stones issue. (The evaluation with which I also look upon the less daring album A BIGGER BANG.)

Added: With some of such new songs integrated in their setlist, the Stones would have an occasion, if they need one, to return to Hyde Park and concert venues in the USA, that they recently played. And those concerts would have the special attraction of featuring live a three guitar set-up including Mick Taylor to be playing on all new songs.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-20 13:49 by Witness.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1652
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home