Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: Next opening song? Love In Vain is my pick
Posted by: Niek ()
Date: April 14, 2014 23:08

out of control

(Always took candy from strangers)

Posted by: michaelsavage ()
Date: April 14, 2014 23:14

scotttilson
How dramatic it would be if Mick... in his first song back...took center stage and delivered Love in Vain. It would be truly historic but would take tremendous courage.

Um...no

Posted by: steini ()
Date: April 15, 2014 01:41

Let Me Go

Posted by: RockinJive ()
Date: April 15, 2014 04:14

scotttilson
How dramatic it would be if Mick... in his first song back...took center stage and delivered Love in Vain. It would be truly historic but would take tremendous courage.

Um no

Posted by: TrulyMicks ()
Date: April 15, 2014 15:22

I think it's good to start off with somthing more upbeat and energetic, although I would love to have this song in the setlist.

And the world keeps turning
And life goes on
The world keeps turning
May your heart stay strong.....

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: April 15, 2014 16:02

RockinJive
scotttilson

Um no

That kind of drama is a bit morbid...watching to see whether he makes it through the song without breaking into tears. He's got plenty of courage just getting back on the road so soon afterwards and I don't need to see him make a point of showing it.

I doubt he will make any mention of L'Wren, except to, perhaps, to thank everyone at the Oslo show for their support and concern, and that will be it.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: April 15, 2014 16:31

And what does Love In vain have to do with his ex? Nothing. You would have to ask Robert Johnson who it's about.

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: April 15, 2014 16:38

LIV is one of the greatest blues tunes in history, no doubt, but it is no opener, rather a song for the "settled" middle part of a show, in the best case one element of a blues streak consisting out of three or four bluesy tracks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-15 16:39 by RobertJohnson.

Date: April 15, 2014 16:43

More Hot Rocks
And what does Love In vain have to do with his ex? Nothing. You would have to ask Robert Johnson who it's about.

It's a blues song about saying goodbye to a lover..."I felt so sad, so lonesome, I could not help but cry." Right, it could be anyone, but putting it front and center as an opener, who do you think people will think it's about? Mick isn't going to put himself in that kind of situation nor would I want him to.

Date: April 15, 2014 16:59

latebloomer
More Hot Rocks

It's a blues song about saying goodbye to a lover..."I felt so sad, so lonesome, I could not help but cry." Right, it could be anyone, but putting it front and center as an opener, who do you think people will think it's about? Mick isn't going to put himself in that kind of situation nor would I want him to.

It's like starting the Superbowl with a kneel down instead of a kickoff. I don't care whats its about.
Can you imagine? Lights go down. 20 thousand people on their feet. Loud driving drums pounding. Your heart rate goes through the roof. Lights flashing but you don't wan to blink so you don't miss anything. people are clapping so loud that you can't hear yourself clap....then...Will you please welcome...THE ROLLING STONES.....then see see Keith...and starts the G arpeggio to Love in Vain. And I never thought I would miss Start me Up...well time to pee and wait for the 2nd number.
Look I have nothing against LIV but not as an opener.
And as far as Mick has always been in the limelight. He would never share his grief on stage.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-15 17:01 by More Hot Rocks.

Date: April 15, 2014 17:08

More Hot Rocks
latebloomer
More Hot Rocks

It's like starting the Superbowl with a kneel down instead of a kickoff. I don't care whats its about.
Can you imagine? Lights go down. 20 thousand people on their feet. Loud driving drums pounding. Your heart rate goes through the roof. Lights flashing but you don't wan to blink so you don't miss anything. people are clapping so loud that you can't hear yourself clap....then...Will you please welcome...THE ROLLING STONES.....then see see Keith...and starts the G arpeggio to Love in Vain. And I never thought I would miss Start me Up...well time to pee and wait for the 2nd number.
Look I have nothing against LIV but not as an opener.
And as far as Mick has always been in the limelight. He would never share his grief on stage.

Exactly. We are of the same mind here, More Hot Rocks.

Posted by: alieb ()
Date: April 15, 2014 17:26

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-12 06:39 by alieb.

Date: April 15, 2014 17:37

people will bring RIP L'Wren sign?

I hope not. You don't want to be reminded of someone you lost sometimes. If you lost a loved one you don't want to go back to work with people holding up signs. Mick is on stage to continue life not to turn it into a memorial concert. It will be 10 weeks after she has passed. Don't bring it up. It's too personal.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-15 17:38 by More Hot Rocks.

Posted by: TrulyMicks ()
Date: April 15, 2014 17:46

I am not trying to offend anyone, but this thread is starting to sound really bizarre to me.

And the world keeps turning
And life goes on
The world keeps turning
May your heart stay strong.....

Posted by: Stonesfan2146 ()
Date: April 15, 2014 19:28

We could expect JJF, maybe Brown Sugar (a great opener) or Start Me Up.
But also great would be
Out Of Control
Sympathy (intro goes into the real song)
Under My Thumb

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: April 15, 2014 19:39

you have to have a fast uptempo rocker to start the show

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: April 15, 2014 20:15

In the book, This Wheel's On Fire, Levon describes how Richard got into the band. They were Ronnie Hawkins' band at the time and were playing some festival or something where there were multiple bands performing. They had just done a knock out rocking set that left the audience pumped up and decided to hang around to watch the following act. "Try and top THAT!" Richard's band took the stage and opened with a slow, soulful version of Georgia On My Mind (I believe it was). By the end of the song the audience was on its feet. Levon and the boys decided there and then "We need HIM!" and Richard was asked to join.

How a show opens tell a lot about an artist. Up tempo rockers are the obvious and perhaps cheap choice to take advantage of the excitement of the moment. To do otherwise requires the courage to establish the mood that the artist chooses, to stand by that decision, to take control of the stage on its own terms, to jolt audience expectations, to make a statement and, well, be able to pull it off. In short, it takes balls. LIV as an opener? No way. It does not fit the formula that the band hides behind.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: April 15, 2014 20:18

I don't understand the consensus that there needs to be a rocker for an
opening song. It makes it sound like the Stones couldn't create momentum
without a fast start….to me, they could reach their frenzied momentum any point along the way….they would own the crowd anyway.

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: April 15, 2014 20:35

The Stones open with rockers because that is what they do best. The crowd is there because they want to rock. Isn't the idea to have some fun and give the people what they want? Uptempo numbers are good to warm up the musicians anyway. Remember, the Rolling Stones are a rock and roll band, albeit a pretty decent blues band when they want to be. LIV would be a bizarre opener. Might as well just do Gomper then...

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: April 16, 2014 00:07

Niek
out of control

As a B-stage number it'd be great.
(maybe they've done it before?)

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: April 16, 2014 00:15

alieb
It would be nice to have him do just 1 tribute song to her at the first show, with pictures of her on the big screen or something. Not that I want him to suffer in front of people

That seems to be exactly what the original suggestion seemed to be after, though--exploiting his personal grief for dramatic effect, while the voyeuristic audience waits with bated breath for the first sign of tears. It all sounds kinda sick, to be blunt. And fortunately I don't think he'll do anything of the kind, except as previously suggested possibly thanking the audience for their support.

Date: April 16, 2014 00:39

Aquamarine
alieb
It would be nice to have him do just 1 tribute song to her at the first show, with pictures of her on the big screen or something. Not that I want him to suffer in front of people

That seems to be exactly what the original suggestion seemed to be after, though--exploiting his personal grief for dramatic effect, while the voyeuristic audience waits with bated breath for the first sign of tears. It all sounds kinda sick, to be blunt. And fortunately I don't think he'll do anything of the kind, except as previously suggested possibly thanking the audience for their support.

I'd be shocked if Mick ever did anything like what is suggested here. As another
poster put it….Mick doesn't do cheesy… and amen to that.

Date: April 16, 2014 08:27

MKjan
Aquamarine
alieb

I'd be shocked if Mick ever did anything like what is suggested here. As another
Call it cheesy if you want, but people have different ways of expressing their grief/appreciation/ whatever the word is that I'm looking for that is not coming to me at 1:30 in the morning. However, if you read the rest of my post, you'll know that I said that I really doubt he would ever do something like that because as you have said it's really not his style.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: April 16, 2014 09:38

You did also say that it would be nice, though, which I personally don't think it would be, at all. Still, we all seem agreed it's not going to happen, so nothing to argue about, really. smiling smiley

Posted by: Greg ()
Date: April 16, 2014 11:41

The opening song will be your typical opening song, like in any other Stones show. The only difference you’ll see is Micks bandmates giving him extra support and attention. But Mick himself, no way.

----------------------------
"Music is the frozen tapioca in the ice chest of history."

"Shit!... No shit, awright!"

Date: April 17, 2014 05:10

Aquamarine
You did also say that it would be nice, though, which I personally don't think it would be, at all. Still, we all seem agreed it's not going to happen, so nothing to argue about, really. smiling smiley

fair enough! smiling smiley

Posted by: jazzbass ()
Date: April 17, 2014 05:56

scotttilson
he can just start prancing about like nothing happened.

Umm, yeah. That. He'll do that.

Date: April 17, 2014 06:01

alieb
MKjan
Aquamarine
alieb

Call it cheesy if you want, but people have different ways of expressing their grief/appreciation/ whatever the word is that I'm looking for that is not coming to me at 1:30 in the morning. However, if you read the rest of my post, you'll know that I said that I really doubt he would ever do something like that because as you have said it's really not his style.

I understand Alieb, just would be so surprised if he did a tribute on stage.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: April 17, 2014 10:36

Aquamarine
alieb

You found the words, Aquamarine, to express the exact view that I also had, but was not able to present in a controlled way, and which I therefore as such held back. Thank you!

Date: April 17, 2014 14:47

I'm pretty confident the Stones will open in Oslo with a 20 minute stretch of "Just wanna see his face". Only the Mickster, Charles Robert and Bill Wyman keep this thing going together with the backing vocals.

Towards the end the guitar players walk on the stage with an overwhelming loud intro from "Slave" .
First Keith, then Ronnie and then Mick Taylor.

DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT Do IT DO IT Do IT DO IT

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1495
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home