Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: Next opening song? Love In Vain is my pick
Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: April 13, 2014 12:10

Monkey Man

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: April 13, 2014 12:38

Most of all I think that Mick Jagger needs to do songs that make him able to control or contain his private feelings. That is an approach I identify with.

I don't expect him to share his grief with us. Hardly want him to. If that leaves him opportunity or space to directly or indirectly show or express his respect, I don't know. But in case, I would sincerely receive that and wellcome it.

If Mick ever would want to share his grief, I hope he would do so in a studio recorded song, band or solo recording.

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: April 13, 2014 12:55

Love in vain would be fantastic in the setlist but not as an open track.
In my opinion they could start with the Last time!

Posted by: Kaisan ()
Date: April 13, 2014 13:18

I would love every opener which whas mentioned here - but I think it´ll be the classic wahrhorses (Start Me Up or Jumpin Jack Flash). But Love in Vain could be played anyway. And yes, I would cry too if they do Love in Vain ... ;-)

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: April 13, 2014 13:27

Witness
Most of all I think that Mick Jagger needs to do songs that make him able to control or contain his private feelings. That is an approach I identify with.

I don't expect him to share his grief with us. Hardly want him to. If that leaves him opportunity or space to directly or indirectly show or express his respect, I don't know. But in case, I would sincerely receive that and wellcome it.

If Mick ever would want to share his grief, I hope he would do so in a studio recorded song, band or solo recording.

i think he really opened up in his song "some girls"

Date: April 13, 2014 13:35

the first time i see keith take the stage is always a big moment. the first thought is "wow it's really him i can't believe he's still alive", the second thought is "what's wrong with the guitar sound" and third thought is to dance my a** off for the next 2 1/2 hours.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-13 13:36 by sonomastone.

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: April 13, 2014 15:43

I'm Alright!
I hope Mick is alright...

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: April 13, 2014 16:08

sonomastone
Witness

I don't assert that he always contains his feelings. However, this is a situation beforehand of the utmost grief. Then everything has to be different.

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: April 13, 2014 18:15

rollmops
I don't know if Mick is going to mention L'wren Scott or perform a song in relation to his deceased girlfriend. My guess is that he won't. I believe they will open with a rocker, may be "Jumping Jack Flash".
Rock and roll,
Mops
No way in a million years will he make any reference to "recent events," no way. It is history never to be mentioned again. We all would do well to follow suit here.

AS for an opening song, what kind of drugs does one have to be on to suggest that the Stones would open with Love in Vain? Great song that it is, and probably the best use of Taylor they could make, but they open with a ROCKER, actually a bunch of rockers in a row. Hello. Can anyone name a Rolling Stones show in the last, say, 50 years where that was not true? Think Mick knows how to pace a show?

Posted by: Bastion ()
Date: April 13, 2014 18:18

Rokyfan
...they open with a ROCKER. Can anyone name a Rolling Stones show in the last, say, 50 years where that was not true?

Dead Flowers, Leeds 1971? tongue sticking out smiley

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: April 13, 2014 18:29

Nope! In 1971 they opened with JJF and Live With Me.
The Leeds broadcast starts with DF... not the show!

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: April 13, 2014 18:58

Did they do an acoustic Prodigal Son to open the Canadian benefit show after Keith's conviction? (obviously a special occasion)

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: April 13, 2014 19:41

Irix
GasLightStreet

Something different - a tune they've never opened with. Something good too.

How about 'She Was Hot' ?

Sure! Or Tie You Up. If they played Tie You Up at all it was be great.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: April 13, 2014 23:26

Bastion
Rokyfan
...they open with a ROCKER. Can anyone name a Rolling Stones show in the last, say, 50 years where that was not true?

Dead Flowers, Leeds 1971? tongue sticking out smiley

Hyde Park, 1969? I totally agree with the principle, anyway--start with a rocker or three and build that momentum.

Posted by: EasterMan ()
Date: April 13, 2014 23:34

Rough Justice
or
One Hit To The Body
or
Heartbreakar

would be a great opening song

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: April 13, 2014 23:51

Hoping for I Wanna Be Your Man.

JumpingKentFlash

Date: April 14, 2014 01:13

Witness
sonomastone
Witness

I don't assert that he always contains his feelings. However, this is a situation beforehand of the utmost grief. Then everything has to be different.

i'm sorry, i was being sarcastic. your point is well taken. it's not really his style, but if music can help him work through his grief, more power to him - and his fans.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: April 14, 2014 01:23

Despite the appeal and expectation of a hard rocker to open, I thought
Not Fade Away was great.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: April 14, 2014 01:52

Never open with a slow song. People will sit down and stay down.

Posted by: MisterO ()
Date: April 14, 2014 02:47

Me personally.....I would Love to see them open with "Time is on my side"....I could just picture Keef walking out first playing that little riff than Mick singing the opening words.

Date: April 14, 2014 02:53

In practice, it would be a total anticlimax to start a show.

One of the few times I've seen that sort of pacing work successfully was a Robert Plant solo show that he began with a heartstopping Song to the Siren, then kicked it into high gear with a rocker. Brilliant one-two punch.

Posted by: Stoneburst ()
Date: April 14, 2014 04:41

Aquamarine
Hyde Park, 1969? I totally agree with the principle, anyway--start with a rocker or three and build that momentum.

They opened the Hyde Park concert with I'm Yours, She's Mine, and followed it up with Jumpin' Jack Flash. Both rock pretty hard, you'll agree.

Date: April 14, 2014 04:45

I wouldn't describe I'm Yours, She's Mine as a rocker. Plus nobody knew it. It was the antithesis of opening a show with an up-tempo hit, and a really brave choice. Loved it.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 14, 2014 19:20

stonehearted
treaclefingers
hot stuff
Love in vain is not a opener the Stones would ever kick off a rock show
with. The same with Down In the hole, You got the blues.
They want to start it with a BANG!

I'd give my left testicle for this one.

What about your right one? Or are you saving that for a special occasion? I will try and find the appropriate emoticon for whatever you answer. But how about this this for starters....

Right testicle is the 'go to' one. Can't give that one up.

Posted by: spain73 ()
Date: April 14, 2014 19:39

START ME UP, the one and only opening song

Posted by: stein ()
Date: April 14, 2014 20:36

Under my thumb

Posted by: Kaisan ()
Date: April 14, 2014 20:36

EasterMan
Rough Justice
or
One Hit To The Body
or
Heartbreakar

would be a great opening song

Heartbreaker would be fantastic - no matter as an opener song or not. I want Heartbreaker in the standard setlist! ;-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-14 20:37 by Kaisan.

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: April 14, 2014 22:14

scotttilson
How dramatic it would be if Mick... in his first song back...took center stage and delivered Love in Vain. It would be truly historic but would take tremendous courage.

It would be lame. One of the reasons Mick is an interesting celeb is the fact that he doesn't do crap like that. Putting your private emotions out there to entertain a crowd is lame. That's Lennon, Elton John, Erie Claypton crap. Mike ain't that cheesy with his personal feelings.

Posted by: muenke ()
Date: April 14, 2014 22:34

All down the Line, played fast, at best with Taylor on slide ... Would fit, IMo!

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: April 14, 2014 22:55

You'll get Start Me Up and you'll like it.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1961
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home