Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: OT: The Dave Clark Five and Beyond
Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: April 12, 2014 04:57

Mike Smith had a fabulous rock/pop voice, no denying that, and us ladies thought he was adorable! Why all the DC5 bashing? There were quite a few " fanzines" published back in the 60's that pitted the Beatles against the DC5...you know, " BEATLES vs DC5...who do you love??" To say they weren't contenders is simply inaccurate. Yes, they did a lot of covers but that was acknowledged right at the start of this film when describing how the DC5 played US military bases in the UK and during intermission, the band discovered all of these great songs by Ryan playing on the jukebox. One of the BEST ballads to come out of the 60's is " Because". I'm not sure who wrote it but it was a monster! Too bad if you missed out on the pleasure of watching them live on Ed Sullivan...they were really a unique band driven by drums and sax. No one else had a drummer as the leader of a major band back then...or even now. If they hadn't decided to quit touring in '69, they would have been more widely known for sure. Clark said the stress from touring too much caused them to disband.

Posted by: babyblue ()
Date: April 20, 2014 01:26

TheBadRabbit
24FPS
A couple years back there was a DVD boxset of Brit Invasion Groups with the Small Faces/Gerry&Pacermakers/Dusty Springfield/Hermans Hermits. There was steam building for a second one and the Zombies, Hollies, Kinks and others were rumored. But the market dropped out for such things and only the Hollies edition made it out as a stand alone product. (And a Pretty Things DVD biography was screened once and remains gathering dust on a shelf). The DC5 would have been a perfect subject.

At the library I work at, we have a copy of Rhino's 9-disc Ed Sullivan's Rock n Roll Classics. Anybody who was anyone has their Sullivan appearances on there--from Elvis to the Carpenters. But, in spite of their record-setting 18 appearances, not a single DC5 clip. Wonder what DC is thinking by being so stingy with their material?

I wish Dave would release their albums on cd, why not?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-20 01:27 by babyblue.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: April 20, 2014 01:41

For now, at least, all the albums are available on an--unauthorized--seven-volume CD set, though this retail outlet does not have vol. 6.

There's also a DVD of Having A Wild Weekend (in widescreen):

All available from: [www.cduniverse.com]

OT: Dave Clark Five
Posted by: mighty stork ()
Date: February 8, 2015 08:50

Any fans of the Dave Clark Five here? I remember as a kid my older sisters were crazy about The Beatles but I got more out of The Dave Clark Five and the The Rolling Stones. I thought their sound had more of an edge to it than what The Beatles were offering. Anyone else big on The DC5?

Re: OT: Dave Clark Five
Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: February 8, 2015 09:27

There was a thread about DC5 some months ago, which had a link for a PBS documentary. Unfortunately, the video is restricted to some regions. I'm pretty sure it must be a very interesting one for those able to watch it: [video.pbs.org]

Date: February 8, 2015 09:46

Cristiano Radtke
There was a thread about DC5 some months ago, which had a link for a PBS documentary. Unfortunately, the video is restricted to some regions. I'm pretty sure it must be a very interesting one for those able to watch it: [video.pbs.org]

Since that thread dealt more on a specific documentary I thought Id just see who were fans and what songs they liked.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: February 8, 2015 10:42

This was always one of my favorites

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: February 8, 2015 11:21

Through a mail order catalog I recently acquired 3 out of print albums on CD, Glad All Over, Return!, and American Tour, and they're even digitally remastered and include rare stereo versions.

All of their albums are available through this catalog and there's even an album of instrumentals available.

The CD & DVD Collection catalog main page: [cdcollection.fcpages.com]

The page with Dave Clark Five titles: [cdcollection.fcpages.com]

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: February 8, 2015 17:27

Date: February 8, 2015 20:16

stuck out for me early on

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: February 8, 2015 20:59

I can never understand how DC,according to the media has amassed such a huge fortune. DC5 were successfull for a relatively short period of time...late 60s when UK income tax was 83%.
The individual Stones were broke....and owing the Inland Revenue a lot of dosh.
I dont think DC went into (tax) exile.
He had a West End success...what else?
He escaped the clutches of Allen Klein of course. Sure he owns the copyright to some of the RSG shows...but have these netted a fortune? I think not.
Mystery.

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: February 8, 2015 23:45

jlowe
I can never understand how DC,according to the media has amassed such a huge fortune. DC5 were successfull for a relatively short period of time...late 60s when UK income tax was 83%.
He escaped the clutches of Allen Klein of course. Sure he owns the copyright to some of the RSG shows...but have these netted a fortune? I think not.
Mystery.

Dave Clark was much more aware of "business" at that age than any of his contemporaries (Lennon, Jagger, etc). I can't recall if DC5 were 'self-managed' or not, but their "management" clearly accrued far more income towards the income generators (the band) than did The Stones or The Beatles.

Worth noting that when ATV dumped "Ready, Steady, Go!" that Dave bought it - and the main asset was the recordings. Smart move. Good that someone did!

Sadly, he then (in my view) lost all respect by not issuing the shows in an uncut or a respectfully cut version. If you watch the commercially available re-issues you're pretty much guaranteed to see a drop in slot or two featuring the DC5 - who were never that big in the UK after their first two hits - and with the remaining acts, frankly, jumbled and shuffled. The result being a deluded fantasy show instead of a brilliant timepiece brought back from the Sixties.

The immense attraction of RSG! was that it was exciting, and was clearly a POP music show with an incredible amount of energy from the performers and audience coming through. By slicing and dicing the recordings Dave destroyed that. And for that I cannot forgive him.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: February 8, 2015 23:50

CaptainCorella
jlowe
Mystery.

Dave Clark was much more aware of "business" at that age than any of his contemporaries (Lennon, Jagger, etc). I can't recall if DC5 were 'self-managed' or not, but their "management" clearly accrued far more income towards the income generators (the band) than did The Stones or The Beatles.

That's exactly what Paul McCartney says on this clip:

Posted by: BroomWagon ()
Date: February 9, 2015 08:53

2000 LYFH

I really enjoy the saxophone-playing in their songs.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 11, 2015 00:00

UNCUT March 2015

ROCKMAN

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: February 11, 2015 00:09

my first concert was seeing the Dave Clark Five! in 1965 0r 66 ..I remember the show, went with my mom and my cousin. it was cool and girls were screaming. charlotte, NC..

Posted by: BroomWagon ()
Date: February 11, 2015 05:06

There is a British Invasion Tour going on right now. One of the Hollies is in it. Sounds interesting.

From last September:

[emptylighthouse.com]

"Terry Sylvester, formerly of The Hollies, will stand-in for Gerry Marsden (of Gerry & The Pacemakers) in the British Invasion Tour.

Gerry was taken suddenly ill on holiday and doctors have ordered him to rest before he resumes his extensive touring schedule."

Posted by: ash ()
Date: February 11, 2015 13:03

jlowe
Mystery.
Weren't the Stones broke because Klein et al were not paying the taxes like they were supposed to ?
The DC5 were paid wages and signed non-disclosure agreements so we'll probably never know how DC got so rich but Dave doesn't like paying royalties but likes having his name on songwriting credits. Licencing the big hits must be lucrative when you don't have to pay the guy who wrote the songs or played the drums. No idea if the other band members got/get royalties but that wouldn't appear to fit in with Dave's business plan. Dave was a smart guy. He has completely blown the DC5 back catalogue issue though - many suspect that his demands were too high (confirmed) and also that it might leave him open to legal action from disgruntled ex-partners.
Didn't Sandie Shaw have to get legal to get her RSG royalties from him?
Shame because the DC5 did make some great records but have been consigned somewhat to the dustbin of 60s pop. They were not popular among their peers.
I'd like to know what the rest of the band might have had to say about the DC5. The only really revealing thing i've read was the occasional "i'm not allowed to talk about that" from Mike Smith who was a great vocalist.
I really don't understand what DC's problem is. It's like he has some kind of dark secret other than being close friends with Freddie Mercury which just isn't the issue it was in previous decades.
Inserting non RSG clips of the DC5 into the RSG re-runs with dubbed on screams of "Dave..Dave" was a bit crap too as was his issue of "The Beatles Live" which was both edited,misleading and badly done and not live at all (mimed to pre-rec music).
He's a strange guy. A very rich strange guy.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: February 11, 2015 23:04

For UK viewers: showing this Saturday (14th) 10.05 p.m. on BBC2

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2272
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home