Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Out of Control live 97
Posted by: bobo ()
Date: April 5, 2014 15:28

Watching the St. Louis show on dvd and put on my headphones and the last 3 minutes of Out of Control is "out of this world". What a groove......Fantastic.

Re: Out of Control live 97
Posted by: Bastion ()
Date: April 5, 2014 15:31

The o2 version from 2012 is even better (imo).

Ronnie plays a fantastic solo:

Posted by: JuanTCB ()
Date: April 5, 2014 17:49

St. Louis is great, but Buenos Aires '98 (the take that wound up on No Security) and MSG '08 (I think it was the second night that wound up on a promotional CD single but the version from the first night was equally jaw-dropping) are my two faves.

Gotta watch the '12 clip - I think the only time OOC underwhelmed me was at the first Fenway show in '05. Opening night jitters, maybe, or just boomy sound that muddled the groove.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: April 5, 2014 18:02

Just discovered this song last year, as crazy as that may sound. Blew me away. I was on a bus and literally couldn't figure out how I'd never heard this amazing song before and people started looking at me. It was a lot to take in.

Love hearing any version of it, but the 97 versions are killer.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: April 5, 2014 18:37

JuanTCB
St. Louis is great, but Buenos Aires '98 (the take that wound up on No Security) and MSG '08 (I think it was the second night that wound up on a promotional CD single but the version from the first night was equally jaw-dropping) are my two faves.

That's 98 not 08 but I agree. Imo the song took off in 98. Best ever version? Praha'98 (imo again).
It's fascinating to see how the song grew from Chicago (1st gig of the tour) to what it became during the 98 tour. thumbs up

Posted by: Anastasia60 ()
Date: April 5, 2014 20:01

Out of Control in Oakland January 1999 (First show of No Security tour)- supposedly the only show where Mick dropped down to the stage in a jail cell - any videos of that one around?

Posted by: Pete66 ()
Date: April 5, 2014 21:53

Very overrated song.

Posted by: andrea66 ()
Date: April 5, 2014 23:54

I have to admit that it works very well " live"

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: April 6, 2014 00:04

Simply boring.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: April 6, 2014 00:56

One of their best. My fave version is the Don Was Live Mix. It cooks as well as Rambler IMO.

JumpingKentFlash

Date: April 6, 2014 01:43

Stoneage
Simply boring.

Unfathomable, at least for me...

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: April 6, 2014 01:50

DandelionPowderman
Stoneage
Simply boring.

Well, not for me, Dandy. A mediocre song with no hit potential. An album filler not good enough for a single.

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: April 6, 2014 01:56

The opening is a little dull and predictable, but the jam at the end rocks.
Always liked this version.

Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: April 6, 2014 02:36

One of the Dutch shows in 98/99 was amazing! Jagger had some issue with his harp so it took him a while to play the solo in the jam bit at the end. Result, the song lasted for 10 minutes or something and it was awesome!

I think it was the the Hague show with all the rain.

Cheers,
Wuudy

Posted by: DoughboyUK ()
Date: April 6, 2014 02:52

Gotta see it live...it is brilliant. Noone understands unless theyve seen it live...

Posted by: beachbreak ()
Date: April 6, 2014 04:49

In andrewt's video of the fashion awards, Keith's chord riff is just howling at the 4:46 mark. So simple, dark and really driving the band. Similar to the A hammer-off to E he uses so effectively in Midnight Rambler. It's the simple chord riffs so overlooked by aspiring virtuosos that really set Keith apart.

Date: April 6, 2014 08:14

bobo
Watching the St. Louis show on dvd and put on my headphones and the last 3 minutes of Out of Control is "out of this world". What a groove......Fantastic.

One of the Stones greatest ever! This notion that the Stones dried up artistically at the end of the seventies (or sooner) is utter nonsense! Saint Of Me is a great song! Laugh, I Nearly Died is a masterpiece! The latest two are good and just wait until the new album comes out in 2015! She Saw Me Coming is another fine piece of work.

Posted by: mandu ()
Date: April 6, 2014 08:15

I would love to see out of control live,fantastic song

Feel The Fear
And Do It Anyway

Posted by: gipsy12 ()
Date: April 6, 2014 08:19

mandu
I would love to see out of control live,fantastic song

+ 1 - love this song

Posted by: JuanTCB ()
Date: April 6, 2014 09:14

JumpingKentFlash
One of their best. My fave version is the Don Was Live Mix. It cooks as well as Rambler IMO.

Exactly - that's the one I was talking about, from MSG '98 (duly noted, dcba!). The band locked into a killer groove, Keith had the nasty brown sound going in spades, and Mick was doing his freaky voodoo chicken dance and actually, for a moment or two, seemed to almost come unhinged. I was at the first two MSG '98 shows and that song those two nights was probably the best I've ever heard them live.

Absolute magic.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: April 6, 2014 09:22

ThickerThanThieves
bobo

One of the Stones greatest ever! This notion that the Stones dried up artistically at the end of the seventies (or sooner) is utter nonsense! Saint Of Me is a great song! Laugh, I Nearly Died is a masterpiece! The latest two are good and just wait until the new album comes out in 2015! She Saw Me Coming is another fine piece of work.

I somewhat agree, but with the added notion that if they weren't dried up, why didn't they do more albums? I would sure love to hear that Memory Hotel album. I don't think they dried up, but their urge to make albums certainly diminished. They're not bad albums at all. Bridges To Babylon is one of their best I think. Same with Voodoo Lounge. Getting back to Out Of Control, it's really one of the songs that shows how good the actually can be. I only got to hear it live once, but I'd love to hear it again. Imagine a concert that had OOC, CYHMK and MR in a row. I'd be in jam heaven!

I think that they should go into the studio again and do an album of covers and new material. To complete the circle you understand. Not saying it should be old blues covers. Have something surprising as well. Would rock.

JumpingKentFlash

Date: April 6, 2014 10:10

Stoneage
DandelionPowderman
Stoneage
Simply boring.

Well, not for me, Dandy. A mediocre song with no hit potential. An album filler not good enough for a single.

It's clearly a live song. The album version is so so.

Midnight Rambler, Slave or CYHMK weren't singles either. This song is in the same category.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-06 10:44 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: April 6, 2014 12:05

JuanTCB

Gotta watch the '12 clip - I think the only time OOC underwhelmed me was at the first Fenway show in '05. Opening night jitters, maybe, or just boomy sound that muddled the groove.

I thought that "Out of Control" was pretty good at the first Fenway Park concert. Maybe a sound problem in your area of the venue.? The sound can be hit or miss there as there was no consideration for concert acoustics when the park / stadium was constructed.

Date: April 6, 2014 12:07

ThickerThanThieves

One of the Stones greatest ever! This notion that the Stones dried up artistically at the end of the seventies (or sooner) is utter nonsense!

OOC is a straight rip-off off "Papa Was a RS"...

Date: April 6, 2014 12:10

dcba
JuanTCB

That's 98 not 08 but I agree. Imo the song took off in 98. Best ever version? Praha'98 (imo again).
It's fascinating to see how the song grew from Chicago (1st gig of the tour) to what it became during the 98 tour. thumbs up

It didn't take much time. By October of 1997 in Foxboro (maybe even a few shows earlier than that) ,they had it down pretty well.

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: April 6, 2014 12:49

This song worked so well live, they could have turned it into a warhorse. Unfortunately they did not play it more often after 1999. I remember listening to it live in the heat in Stuttgart and three weeks later in the rain in Cologne.

Posted by: barbabang ()
Date: April 6, 2014 13:57

A great cooking live song. Love the part with harmonica with Keith countering with guitar. Modern day classic.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: April 6, 2014 14:03

Liked this one plenty the few times I've seen them play it. I saw a show in Portland on the Bridges tour where they really hit the groove on it. It was a scary & good thing!>grinning smiley<

Date: April 6, 2014 15:29

Yup the Jan. 30 version on "Already Over Me" (VGP-197) is fantastic, better than the one played at MSG III.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-06 15:30 by dcba.

Posted by: onestep ()
Date: April 6, 2014 16:19

I agree with you, a great groove live on this song....I was lucky enough to be at the return to arena shows at Madison Square Garden....first time indoors for many years when they recorded a live version of this song. Don Was...they released it as a limited promo...along with album edits, and what they name the call out hook!
A great recording! They released it in 1998 before No Security album, the OOC recording on No Security was made in Buenos Aires.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1828
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home