Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: "heart of stone" ... guitar solo
Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: April 7, 2014 20:02

runaway
2000 LYFH

Anyway, this is what stone-relics wrote back in 2006:
<Anyone have this track in better quality? Its really an astonishing version...Dont know of it on Bootlegs. Its similar to the version on Metamorphosis, but is much longer and has an unbelievable guitar solo after the pedal steel solo.>

Could this be the missing version with the clean Page solo that Keith would copy?

I just listened to Heart of Stone "Metamorphosis" vinyl 3:46 and has a solo after the steel pedal, the same track is already posted here

Well stone-relics was stating this was a different version then the Metamorphosis version. Again, we are trying to determine what version Keith copied his lead and it had been suggested that there may be a clean version that Page played (not to be confused with the Metamorphosis version - the sloppy Page version).

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: April 7, 2014 20:16

2000 LYFH
runaway
2000 LYFH

Anyway, this is what stone-relics wrote back in 2006:
<Anyone have this track in better quality? Its really an astonishing version...Dont know of it on Bootlegs. Its similar to the version on Metamorphosis, but is much longer and has an unbelievable guitar solo after the pedal steel solo.>

Could this be the missing version with the clean Page solo that Keith would copy?

I just listened to Heart of Stone "Metamorphosis" vinyl 3:46 and has a solo after the steel pedal, the same track is already posted here

Well stone-relics was stating this was a different version then the Metamorphosis version. Again, we are trying to determine what version Keith copied his lead and it had been suggested that there may be a clean version that Page played (not to be confused with the Metamorphosis version - the sloppy Page version).

Here's some info from Friends of Zep:

29.6. - 7.7.1964 - ANDREW OLDHAM ORCHESTRA. London, Regent Sound Studios and Decca Studios. Producer: Andrew Oldham. Sound engineers: Bill Farley (Regent), Gus Dudgeon (Decca). Musical Directors: Mike Leander, John Paul Jones, David Whittaker.
- I Get Around (Brian Wilson) -Andrew Oldham Orchestra with MJ on vocals
- I Know (Andrew Oldham or Mick Jagger/Keith Richards) -similar backing track to Some Things Just Stick In Your Mind
- Some Things Just Stick In Your Mind II (Mick Jagger/Keith Richards) -Big Jim Sullivan on guitar; with additional guitar
Additional musicians: Jimmy Page (gtr, bass)/John McLaughlin (gtr)/Reg Guest (p)/Joe Moretti (gtr)/Andy White (dr)
21. - 23. 7.1964 - London, Regent Sound Studios. Producer: Andrew Oldham. Sound engineer: Bill Farley.
- Heart Of Stone I (Mick Jagger/Keith Richards) -John McLaughlin and/or Jimmy Page on guitar; with additional guitar
- Heart Of Stone I (Mick Jagger/Keith Richards) -John McLaughlin and/or Jimmy Page on guitar; unmixed Metamorphosis-version
- Heart Of Stone III (Mick Jagger/Keith Richards) - John McLaughlin and/or Jimmy Page on guitar; Metamorphosis-version
Additional musicians: Jimmy Page (gtr)/John McLaughlin (gtr)/Clem Cattini (dr)
Note: Mick Jagger was the only Stone who was present. Probably some mixing and more overdubbing was done on the songs recorded in late June/early July.

Date: April 8, 2014 20:23

21. - 23. 7.1964 - London, Regent Sound Studios. Producer: Andrew Oldham. Sound engineer: Bill Farley.

- Heart Of Stone I (Mick Jagger/Keith Richards) -John McLaughlin and/or Jimmy Page on guitar; with additional guitar

- Heart Of Stone I (Mick Jagger/Keith Richards) -John McLaughlin and/or Jimmy Page on guitar; unmixed Metamorphosis-version

- Heart Of Stone III (Mick Jagger/Keith Richards) - John McLaughlin and/or Jimmy Page on guitar; Metamorphosis-version

Note: Mick Jagger was the only Stone who was present. Probably some mixing and more overdubbing was done on the songs recorded in late June/early July.

Wonder what guitar part John McLaughlin played? If "Heart Of Stone III" is the Metamorphosis version, then I assume "Heart Of Stone I" is probably not the version that Page played a clean lead on. Maybe it does not exist!

Date: April 8, 2014 20:33

2000 LYFH

Wonder what guitar part John McLaughlin played? If "Heart Of Stone III" is the Metamorphosis version, then I assume "Heart Of Stone I" is probably not the version that Page played a clean lead on. Maybe it does not exist!

There is as well a Heart of Stone recording in October 1964, RCA, Hollywood,
Jagger, Richard composition in the blues tradition.

Date: April 8, 2014 20:50

2000 LYFH

Maybe Dandelionpowderman could help?

Date: April 8, 2014 21:00

runaway
2000 LYFH

From the book "The First Twenty Years" - this was a Stones session (Oct 27) - Heart Of Stone, Down Home Girl, Hitch-Hike, Everyone Needs Somebody To Love, Pain In My Heart & Oh Baby (We Got A Good Thing Goin')

Date: April 8, 2014 21:07

2000 LYFH
runaway
2000 LYFH

From the book "The First Twenty Years" - this was a Stones session (Oct 27) - Heart Of Stone, Down Home Girl, Hitch-Hike, Everyone Needs Somebody To Love, Pain In My Heart & Oh Baby (We Got A Good Thing Goin')

"The First Twenty Years" David Dalton right? and I have another sourcesmiling smiley

Date: April 10, 2014 16:36

runaway
2000 LYFH

According to McLaughlin-fans here, his participation isn't fully confirmed at all.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: April 10, 2014 16:58

DandelionPowderman
runaway
2000 LYFH

According to McLaughlin-fans here, his participation isn't fully confirmed at all.

The solo on the Metamorphosis version is 100% Jimmy Page. No doubt about that.

Mathijs

Date: April 10, 2014 17:17

DandelionPowderman
runaway
2000 LYFH

John McLauglin's name is on the thank list of the Metamorphosis Vinyl amlbumcover, then again I can't find his name in my source books, so there are 2 recordings in 1964, one in London and the other in Hollywood.

Date: April 10, 2014 17:42

DandelionPowderman
runaway
2000 LYFH

He did state he was at a Mick Jagger session:

When did you play with the Rolling Stones? Did you enjoy working with them?
Only on a session with Mick, who was a nice person. No pretentions, but the recording was just another session for me at that time.

[blogs.dallasobserver.com]

Date: April 10, 2014 20:11

Yeah, I know, 2000 LYFH. But we don't know if that session ended up on Metamophosis. It probably did...

Posted by: rob51 ()
Date: April 11, 2014 07:52

Wow! I never realized Keith was ever good enough to copy Jimmy Page?

Date: April 11, 2014 10:25

runaway
DandelionPowderman
runaway
2000 LYFH

John McLauglin's name is on the thank list of the Metamorphosis Vinyl amlbumcover, then again I can't find his name in my source books, so there are 2 recordings in 1964, one in London and the other in Hollywood.

I have read several places that he played on Something Just Sticks In Your Mind, but I'm not sure...

Date: April 11, 2014 10:27

rob51
Wow! I never realized Keith was ever good enough to copy Jimmy Page?

If he can copy Robert Johnson, copying Page is a piece of cake smiling smiley

The "copying" in this case is exaggarated, though. It's only the intro (which the time differently, btw) and a couple of licks..

Date: April 11, 2014 16:47

DandelionPowderman
runaway
DandelionPowderman
runaway
2000 LYFH

I have read several places that he played on Something Just Sticks In Your Mind, but I'm not sure...

Just came across this book - maybe he will shed some light on what he actually played on: [www.guitaraficionado.com]

And just found this: [www.bathedinlightning.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-11 17:19 by 2000 LYFH.

Date: April 11, 2014 18:52

2000 LYFH
DandelionPowderman
runaway
DandelionPowderman
runaway
2000 LYFH

Just came across this book - maybe he will shed some light on what he actually played on: [www.guitaraficionado.com]

And just found this: [www.bathedinlightning.com]

Great Find John McLauglin playing these Metamorphosis tracks, amazing album with a great variety of musicians and Mick T as well on 2 tracks.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1851
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home