Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: The Rolling Stones Disaster At Altamont: Let It Bleed
Posted by: swiss ()
Date: May 25, 2014 19:40

His Majesty
Hmm, I smell poo poo... when exactly are Grace and Paul supposed to have flown to UK to discuss Altamont or some kind of free concert in USA? I thought it was added on whilst they were already touring in USA?

Keep in mind also that Mick was away filming in Australia and then holidaying in Indonesia from 6/7th July - October 15/16th 1969, was in UK for only one day and then travelled with the other stones to USA on 17th October.

His Majesty,

I had not heard, read, or heard of this account anywhere either, other than from Grace Slick. It's pretty ballsy if it's a fabrication.

I intend to look into it, and ask involved parties directly.

best
swiss

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-25 22:23 by swiss.

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: May 25, 2014 20:02

Altamont was a last minute gig a few weeks prior the concert when others failed!

Within 48 hours

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-26 19:43 by runaway.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: May 25, 2014 20:09

I think Grace Slick is just talking crap.

Date: May 25, 2014 20:18

His Majesty

I can't find another source her meeting MJ prior a Free Festival!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-25 20:20 by runaway.

Date: May 25, 2014 20:31

runaway
His Majesty

If it were in England it would have to been circa before Mick left for Australia in July 1969 and it just seems very unlikley that they would plan a free concert for a tour that had yet to even be organised.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: May 25, 2014 20:31

I had a long conversation with Grace several years ago, and she clearly had
memory problems. Quite sad because there was an earlier time when she was "bright" and honest. She'd had an excellent education and was always candid in her conversation then.

When I read the recent interview, all I could think was that she is still quite confused due to all her excesses later. It's likely that she and Paul did see Jagger in 1968 when they were in London but OBVIOUSLY Altamont could not have been a topic of conversation.

She also saw Mick and all the Stones at a private party in LA in the fall of 1969.

Date: May 25, 2014 20:37

Ah yes, they played at the Roundhouse in September 1968. thumbs up

Posted by: BroomWagon ()
Date: May 25, 2014 21:05

runaway
Altamont was a last minute gig a few weeks prior the concert when others failed!

From the Rolling Stone article, it was scheduled really in 2 days before the original concert, Sears Speedway would not do it.

Date: May 25, 2014 21:21

BroomWagon
The Angels may have been neanderthals but I thought the Angels had done work for the Grateful Dead without anything like this ever happening.

The Hells Angels didn't "do work for" anyone in that capacity. Many mMmbers of the San Francisco Hells Angels knew,
and some were friends with, members of the Grateful Dead and the many other San Francisco bands. They also love a party,
and many were into that music and to some degree the scene happening in San Francisco--which was amazingly vibrant
and cool, as it unfolded, to say the least, if you were there. Some of the San Francisco Hells Angels were present at
the same events as anyone else who was into what was happening in SF--from the earliest "dances" at the Longshoreman's
Hall in the fall of 1965, onward. They did keep an eye on things at the Human Be-In, in early 1967, which drew a crowd
of 20-30,000 (a sliver of a % of how many assembled at Altamont), as well as at many other events in SF before and after

Was everything love peace and harmony one universal family between all members of the Hells Angels and all people at the
various events? No. But mostly pretty peaceful. And Nothing like Altamont had ever happened, anywhere, to that time. I
do believe it would be remiss to paint the Hells Angels with a broad brush of "Neandrathal," btw.

BroomWagon
There's the part in the movie where the guys in the Grateful Dead say "something's wrong" when they hear about what is going on. Did they even withdraw from playing there? Yes, per [en.wikipedia.org]

I don't understand what this means.

- swiss

Date: May 25, 2014 21:42

runaway
His Majesty

I don't have her book----published probably 15 years ago---with me in California, but I recall she tells a version
of this same story. I always have found it a head-scratcher. Had the chance to meet her last fall but didn't want
to jump straight into talking about Altamont, but hope to interview her for my film Altamont 360°.

Date: May 25, 2014 21:56

swiss
runaway
His Majesty

I don't have her book----published probably 15 years ago---with me in California, but I recall she tells a version
of this same story. I always have found it a head-scratcher. Had the chance to meet her last fall but didn't want
to jump straight into talking about Altamont, but hope to interview her for my film Altamont 360°.

Jefferson Airplane performed Alta and Grace was pretty cool I think,right now She is into Painting I think thumbs up

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: May 25, 2014 22:05

swiss
BroomWagon
The Angels may have been neanderthals but I thought the Angels had done work for the Grateful Dead without anything like this ever happening.

The Hells Angels didn't "do work for" anyone in that capacity. Many mMmbers of the San Francisco Hells Angels knew,
and some were friends with, members of the Grateful Dead and the many other San Francisco bands. They also love a party,
and many were into that music and to some degree the scene happening in San Francisco--which was amazingly vibrant
and cool, as it unfolded, to say the least, if you were there. Some of the San Francisco Hells Angels were present at
the same events as anyone else who was into what was happening in SF--from the earliest "dances" at the Longshoreman's
Hall in the fall of 1965, onward. They did keep an eye on things at the Human Be-In, in early 1967, which drew a crowd
of 20-30,000 (a sliver of a % of how many assembled at Altamont), as well as at many other events in SF before and after

Was everything love peace and harmony one universal family between all members of the Hells Angels and all people at the
various events? No. But mostly pretty peaceful. And Nothing like Altamont had ever happened, anywhere, to that time. I
do believe it would be remiss to paint the Hells Angels with a broad brush of "Neandrathal," btw.

BroomWagon
There's the part in the movie where the guys in the Grateful Dead say "something's wrong" when they hear about what is going on. Did they even withdraw from playing there? Yes, per [en.wikipedia.org]

- swiss

Anyway, since Altamont there's always been a atmosphere of violence around Stones gigs, at least the ones I attended. In Rotterdam 1973 there were fights, people beating others up with billiard cues, threatening Hells Angels all over the place (as if it was 'their' band). The same in The Hague, three years later. Fighting in the little cosy stadium, an aggressively pushing crowd when the show was over. Fighting in 1982 again, police had to interfere, threatening atmosphere around the stadium. So during all three shows I saw there was heavy violence. There was a connotation of violence with the Rolling Stones at least until 1982.

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: May 25, 2014 22:10

swiss
BroomWagon

BroomWagon

- swiss

BroomWagon is referring to when Jerry and Phil arrived and met with Michael Shrieve the drummer for Santana who stated that Paul Kantner Marty Balin got beat up.

Yes, that's when the Dead decided not to play.

<Edit> changed Paul Kantner to Marty Balin

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-25 22:44 by 2000 LYFH.

Date: May 25, 2014 22:28

2000 LYFH
swiss
BroomWagon

BroomWagon

- swiss

BroomWagon is referring to when Jerry and Phil arrived and met with Michael Shrieve the drummer for Santana who stated that Paul Kantner got beat up.

Right. The members of the Grateful Dead went to their bus and hung out. They went back and forth about whether to
play or not, and ultimately decided not to.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: May 25, 2014 22:34

2000 LYFH
swiss
BroomWagon

BroomWagon

- swiss

BroomWagon is referring to when Jerry and Phil arrived and met with Michael Shrieve the drummer for Santana who stated that Paul Kantner got beat up.

It was Marty Balin who got beat up, wasn't it?

Date: May 25, 2014 22:41

^ Yes, thanks meant to say Marty

Date: May 25, 2014 22:56

swiss

Swiss - In case this (Bill Owens, Altamont Photographer) is of any use for your new film:
[trivalleycahistoryblog.wordpress.com]

Date: May 25, 2014 23:05

2000 LYFH
swiss

Swiss - In case this (Bill Owens, Altamont Photographer) is of any use for your new film:
[trivalleycahistoryblog.wordpress.com]

hi 2000 LYFH - thank you!
I've been in touch with Bill Owens.
best
swiss

Date: May 25, 2014 23:06

2000 LYFH
^ Yes, thanks meant to say Marty

I knew that's what you meant. Paul Kantner and a Hells Angel got in a shouting match about it.

Date: May 26, 2014 00:01

I have no problem with the Angels at Altamont. Their job was to protect the Stones and that's exactly what they did. The crowd was out of control. Many were whacked out on bad acid that day. Does anyone remember Mick getting slugged in the face upon arriving? Nobody knows for sure what the gentleman waving the gun around had in mind, and you only have but a split second to react in a situation like that.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: May 26, 2014 06:27

ThickerThanThieves
I have no problem with the Angels at Altamont. Their job was to protect the Stones and that's exactly what they did. The crowd was out of control. Many were whacked out on bad acid that day. Does anyone remember Mick getting slugged in the face upon arriving? Nobody knows for sure what the gentleman waving the gun around had in mind, and you only have but a split second to react in a situation like that.

I agree w/ some of this. Once the dude pulls a gun, all bets are off. No reason to think the Angels should gamble that he didn't intend to kill.

The part I don't really agree w/ is to say there was no problem with the Angels at Altamont. They did a lot of wrong, reacting way to fast to beat people with their cues/sticks with little or no provocation.

Posted by: nobs ()
Date: May 26, 2014 07:05

Hell's Angels had the timeless biker mentality, "pay attention to me, i have tattoos and a loud bike daddy!" such jealousy and homosexual tendencies to go along with it

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: May 26, 2014 07:38

swiss
His Majesty
Hmm, I smell poo poo... when exactly are Grace and Paul supposed to have flown to UK to discuss Altamont or some kind of free concert in USA? I thought it was added on whilst they were already touring in USA?

Keep in mind also that Mick was away filming in Australia and then holidaying in Indonesia from 6/7th July - October 15/16th 1969, was in UK for only one day and then travelled with the other stones to USA on 17th October.

His Majesty,

I had not heard, read, or heard of this account anywhere either, other than from Grace Slick. It's pretty ballsy if it's a fabrication.

I intend to look into it, and ask involved parties directly.

best
swiss

A quick search reveals that the Airplane were in Europe around July-August 1968. Maybe this is what she means. Maybe Jagger was getting tour ideas as early as this. They also recorded at LA RCA as late as 1968. Maybe there met while mixing Banquet. Maybe she took a holiday in the UK. Maybe she's mistaken!

Posted by: rob51 ()
Date: May 26, 2014 11:22

I've met one person that was actually at Altamont and he said they never knew there were any problems at all. They were way up on the hill looking down on everything and couldn't tell what was going on. Said the music was great!

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: May 26, 2014 16:25

His Majesty

I was thinking the same.But Kantner once told a similar story.Maybe they were there to vaguely talk about a possible free concert which was the thing to do in those days.But certainly they weren't takling about Altamont which wasn't even on the cards than.

edit in my memory it was mentioned in an Airplane article/interview in German mag Sounds in the 70's.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-26 16:53 by CousinC.

Date: May 26, 2014 16:50

CousinC
His Majesty

I was thinking the same.But Kantner once told a similar story.Maybe they were there to vaguely talk about a possible free concert which was the thing to do in those days.But certainly they weren't takling about Altamont which wasn't even on the cards than.

Yeah, also, Grace Slicks description of Micks home at that time seems pretty spot on. Twas all prim and proper and not the psychedelic dundgeon one might expect. grinning smiley

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: May 26, 2014 16:57

LOL Exactly! Her description made it very trustworthy to me . .

Posted by: MILKYWAY ()
Date: May 27, 2014 00:01

swiss
Excerpt of interview with Grace Slick from the May 23, 2014, issue of Rolling Stone.

I thought, "Oh, God, there's going to be some kind of orgy there and I don't do orgies"

Bullsh-t. She's been passed around so much she's grown handles.

Posted by: Athena ()
Date: May 29, 2014 08:20

"Disaster......" karma, karma...grinning smiley

Greek Goddess of Wisdom, Skill...& War

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: June 9, 2014 01:38

LeonidP
ThickerThanThieves

I agree w/ some of this. Once the dude pulls a gun, all bets are off. No reason to think the Angels should gamble that he didn't intend to kill.

The part I don't really agree w/ is to say there was no problem with the Angels at Altamont. They did a lot of wrong, reacting way to fast to beat people with their cues/sticks with little or no provocation.

Speed, bad acid and alcohol seemed to be the catalysts for the bad vibes and the unfortunate outcomes, imho. Any security outfit with their hand in that medicine jar would have been affected by that recipe for disaster.

Also, the righteousness that comes with protecting the overly important Rolling Stones was probably like a potent drug in it's own right.

Swinging pool sticks (Angels), swinging Telecaster guitars (Keith)....

peace

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1645
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home