Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5
Re: African-American Stones Fans?
Posted by: tatters ()
Date: December 17, 2009 16:30

swiss - Sorry that I don't have the time to read your post right now, but I will. Thank you for taking the time to write it!

Posted by: Altefutze ()
Date: December 17, 2009 17:26

I like it the way it is. You don't get mugged on the way to the head.

Posted by: teleblaster ()
Date: December 17, 2009 17:33

Altefutze

Explain, please?

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: December 17, 2009 17:36

There is still talented black musicianship in the world. In Louisiana there are black horn players (all kinds), black singers, black drummers, black guitar players, black bass players. They play with whoever whenever however.

There are gospel groups that play hymns and spirituals and churches (they're in churches) and they take, for instance, that goofy country song Elvira and change the lyrics into something local.

They play for mostly, as in 99%, a white audience from what I've seen when they go out to play. At church it's whoever is there.

It seems that perhaps the blacks don't want to hear the blues because they're not connected with that part of their heritage anymore than they are connected to their blood line coming from Africa. They're not from Africa. They're from the United States. They don't want to hear blues, they want to hear something else. Whatever that is, the songline is dead.

And why anyone would want to go to a Stones show and hear them do Little Red Rooster now in all of their brilliant fakeness of being a blues band amuses me.

Date: December 17, 2009 17:42

Altefutze

Is this meant to be amusing?

Because it isn't. It's simply racist.

It's ignorant, offensive and, in many places, illegal.

Date: December 17, 2009 17:51

What altefutze said is ILLEGAL in some places? How is that? I'm serious - please explain.

Date: December 17, 2009 18:14

If it was a derogatory racial stereotype directed towards an individual it would be classed as racial abuse which is a criminal offence where I live. If could also constitute a racially aggravated breach of the peace if shouted or spoken in a public place, also a criminal offence.

I am less up to speed about publishing and internet laws, but I live in Scotland and there are a number of anti - racism laws and I would anticipate further legislation of this nature.

Posted by: Anthony ()
Date: December 17, 2009 18:59

Regarding the music thing, I find it pretty funny that I was given the most crap about not being "Black Enough" (I'm half white half black) by other black folk.
"The Rolling Stones/Frank Zappa/Tom Waits/Weather Report/Primus etc., THEY AREN'T BLACK MUSIC!" Thats what I frequently heard from many members of my own race growing up. all the while they're listening to crap about who has the biggest car and the most hoes...

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: December 17, 2009 19:01

this is actually something that has ALWAYS marveled me. I've seen them 11 times now, 10 in the States, and at not a single show in the US that I've ever attended have I ever seen a black person in attendance, which blew me away based on the grooves, the blues, yada yada yada. I always say to the Mrs. there's no way that not a single black person doesn't like the Stones......

Then we go to London to see them and Wha-la!! There's lots in attendance - it was a strange sight. I didn't know whether to celebrate finally seeing a more diverse crowd or wonder if they'd gotten the headliner mixed up! grinning smiley

I was very happy to see a different audience outside the US.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: December 17, 2009 21:03

I'd like to get CBII's take on this

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: December 17, 2009 23:16

BluzDude
I'd like to get CBII's take on this

Me too.

Anthony - really sucks that people where you live would have a knee jerk reaction to you and your musical taste, claiming you're not "black enough." I can't even imagine how infuriating that must be. Still, as (I'm guessing) a younger person (of any race/ethnicity) I'm surprised you'd refer to hip hop in a sort of knee-jerk way about being all about cars and hos. I think some of the best most interesting music coming out of late 20th century America (granted there was a lot of stellar new music) was rap. Some of the stupidest too -- but that's what all highly commercialized mainstream crap is about.

tatters....great thread.

Date: December 17, 2009 23:30

Well, all I can say is Mick Jagger has made it clear that songs like Miss You and other 'disco'-esque tunes are black music, based on black music, yet alone what Chuck Berry did, which one could call black music, or Muddy Waters and Howlin' Wolf and everyone else, which could all could called black music. Keith has stated similar things as well.

To me it's just music, genre, style or what kind/label being named not exactly necessary, but that's how I look at it, knowing full well what kind of people wrote it (poor, black, white [country music is mostly known as white but essentially blues with a twang - it's more of a geographical thing really], sons and sons of sons of slaves, etc...) that, in the history of music, boils it all down to folk music - songs of experiences sung by folks - working folks etc. And they've long been fans of and, what, proprietors? of black music and everything I just explained.

So for someone to tell someone who is of colour of some sort, any sort, that The Rolling Stones are not black enough is their loss, not yours. Yet alone ignorant of the facts and obviously not educated in the history of music overall period.

Posted by: originalstones ()
Date: December 18, 2009 13:10

American sports broadcaster Greg Gumble (African American), brother of Bryant, is a huge Stones fan. Has seen them on every tour since 1964 and carries a photo of Keith Richards in his wallet at all times. He has become friends with Ron Wood, Bobby Keyes and Bernard Fowler back in the 90s, and also has purchased some of Ronnie's artwork. Do a Google search.

Rob

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-12-19 01:25 by originalstones.

Posted by: Bärs ()
Date: December 18, 2009 15:30

Well, rock is basically a "white" genre. Isn't it?

Date: December 18, 2009 17:35

No, it's just "consumed" the most by "white" people.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: December 18, 2009 18:21

swiss, that's some post up there, your treatise, fascinating,
much to think about. rings quite true to me, thanks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-12-18 18:21 by angee.

Posted by: DiamondDog7 ()
Date: December 18, 2009 18:24

Bärs

hmm... nope!

Tell that to Little Richard, Chuck Berry, Jimi Hendrix, Lenny Kravitz! ;-)

Posted by: Bärs ()
Date: December 18, 2009 18:53

DiamondDog7
Bärs

hmm... nope!

Yes, but their audience is white. I think it's uncontroversial to say that rock is sociologically a phenomenom for the white youth.

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: December 18, 2009 20:27

interesting point...never thought about it...
this may sound strange: but isnt it possible that the ticket prices / average income among african-american (especialy in detroit) has got something to do with it?

Posted by: Brue ()
Date: December 18, 2009 20:56

I thought some of the reason was because the blacks resented the English invasion. I remember Ben E. King talking about how the blacks were beginning to dominate the charts in the early '60's, and when the Beatles hit he said it was all over for them. Overnight. Said, 'Those damned Beatles came out with the long straight hair - wtf were we supposed to do!!' Everything changed right then for a lot of the black artists, they couldn't stand up to rock and roll. Rock and roll took blues a step farther, and they couldn't compete. Then of course, you still had soul records, which was a continuation of Motown, and then funk after that, so that's where the split came.

Posted by: DiamondDog7 ()
Date: December 18, 2009 20:57

Bärs
DiamondDog7
Bärs

hmm... nope!

Yes, but their audience is white. I think it's uncontroversial to say that rock is sociologically a phenomenom for the white youth.

I understand your point, Bärs. But I do still disagree. Even the Parliament or Funkadelic adopt the sound of rock in their funky sound.

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: December 18, 2009 21:22

swiss
tatters, you say you like to see a diversity of people mixing it up at shows.

Do you ever go to hip hop shows? If you're white and you go to a show in, say, DC where I lived for a dozen years (and I don't mean a show at a big place, of a rap group that's been commercially successful and crossed over into the mainstream, I mean an upcoming, underground, or local group, rapper, dj) you will find yourself in a teeny minority. I've been to these shows -- and even tho up here in Maine now (96% white population) people like to say "hip hop has no race" often it does. And the race is black. or more to the point: the culture is black. That's changing certainly worldwide. And up here in New England there are white MCs, incidentally mostly poor, with mad skilz winking smiley And on the west coast I've been to impressive Latin and Asian hip hop shows. But in many places the realest, newest, hottest, most innovative, emergent, generative and interesting hip hop is black. And if you're white and you're in the crowd at a show like this, most likely you will not understand everything that's going on culturally, and you'll not experience the ubiquitous comfort of invisible privilege, of being white, that most of us experience without even realizing every day in America.

If you go to a local indy/folky/acoustic show (most places in the US) you're likely to be in a white-majority crowd. Why are there so few black people there? How about: Don't dig the music. Don't dig the scene. Don't know anyone. Don't particularly wanna. Not relevant. Not exciting. Speaking to life experiences that don't resonate or feel particularly "real." No reason black people should be there if they don't want to be. The indy kids would love there to be more black or brown people at their shows. But usually they're disappointed. Stones shows...I'd guess most Stones fans don't usually shed a tear about not seeing more black and brown faces around them. Is that bad? I don't know. Is it bad that the indy kids want to see more? I don't know. Objectifying anyone and "wanting them at my show" skirts very closely to being patronizing, dangerously close to objectifying black people and wanting them among us, coming right up to narcissistically feeling good about being "diverse." Is that as bad as actively not wanting black people at a show? No. Not wanting any group to be around is worse than actively wanting people around even if it is to make us feel good about ourselves. Do people at Stones shows not want there to be more black people? I wouldn't guess so. Do black people wish they could come to Stones shows, but don't because it doesn't feel inclusive? Probably not likely. There are other factors that would keep throngs of black people from wanting to attend a Stones show, that trump the other possibilities. Such as, not liking the Stones all that much. Not preferring the music. Incidentally, I'm sure you know, in DC, Detroit, Chicago, Atlanta, NYC, in fact every part of the country there are members of ot only black middle class but a black aristocracy who could afford a Stones show if they felt like it. But the question may more be about relevance and potential for high enjoyment factor -- at any price, but especially at Stones tix prices. I wouldn't pay those prices myself, unless the Stones surprised us and played small venues like Dylan did in 2000 (they won't, I know).

Last thing: as far as black people should study up on their roots...you really meant to say that? Well, if so, let's start with hip hop. The best most intelligent hip hop, the art of MCing and DJing (as you may know - not to mention the 2 other elements of hip hop, breakdancing and graffiti), are steeped in tradition and history. I'm not talking about mainstream shit on the radio -- which is exactly as bad as white people mainstream music shit on the radio -- but the good stuff: it often comes into being with recognition and even reverence for those who came before. The best hip hop is part of a 35-year-old community growing out of South Bronx's Afrikka Bambata and Zulu Nation, crossing over to Harlem and Sugar Hill, spreading through every nook and interstices of America, speaking to and from the heart of African Americans, creating a musical cultural web connecting generations of fans and MCs. This lineage and connection to history is mentioned overtly in lyrics, with talented MCs directly quoting others or merely picking up someone else's cadence, rhyme patterns, lyrical themes, metaphors as a nod and thank-you to them. As well as DJs sampling everyone from Jesse Jackson calling for "Nation Time!" at Wattstax to Coltrane and Sun House riffs. In rap music are history lessons, musical and otherwise.

For people to write off rap or hip hop because of what they hear in the mainstream is a shame. In my opinion Keith never developed an ear for it because it's so wordy--it's cerebral, complex, and poetic in a way he's not--and the music is not guitary, the creativity in the music comes from mixing, sampling, and writing beats, hence little points of reference for Keith. Really good rap songs are multi-layered, complicated, and easy written off. It takes time, concentration, dedication by people who haven't grown up around it to "hear" it, and to listen to it many many times, being ok with not understanding all the words, the meaning, the images, the implications, the cultural references, raw look at what life is like without the buffer of invisible white privilege. If you're young enough, or lucky enough to grow up in a really integrated community, or if you have a "translator" or "interpreter" to help you through, or a bunch of time and an open mind, a white person may get hip hop.

So...why would or should black people like the Stones? as someone already said - what about young people of any race? do they flock to Stones' shows? No -- they're, well...they're just not that good unless collecting Stones tkt stubs year after year is your thing. And, to young people, too many old people go to Stones shows. I wonder whether people aged 50 now have wanted - when they were 18, 19, 20, up to 25 - to have beeb surrounded by sagging bellies and grizzled beards and rhuemy-eyed droopy tank topped people who rarely get out and screaming guzzling beer trying to relive their glory days? I know I wouldn't have wanted to be around that as a kid.

So why would black people who weren't huge Stones fans Back In The Day want that either? What is it that resonates with Stones fans here about the Rolling Stones? what does it speak to that keeps us talking about them, listening to them, looking at photos? why do they fascinate us? Speaking for myself, it's partly associated with a type of rebellion that would be (is) experienced by someone who is inside the dominant white class and who--from the inside, with all privilege at my disposal--stubbornly rejects many of its limitations, rules, and hierarchies, refuses to kow-tow completely to the powers that be, and the status quo. My perspective is definitely as a white person of privilege. I feel like I'm badder than I am when I listen to the Stones--that the Stones and me, we're outlaws, around many lame-ass nonquestioning conformists. I am poking fun at myself but it's also true. Second, as much as a I love complex polyrhythyms of heavily African-influenced music, I also love the Stones' rhythms which -- sorry -- are actually quite white. They're obvious and driving and relentless and white-mannishly aggressive. I LOVE that flavor. It can be sexy, but it's not very "black," at the end of the day (Sympathy and a few others are exceptions). I get my sexy black rhythms elsewhere. And I imagine some of the above might hold true for black people too. Dunno.
post of the year....only the last part i dont agree with....the 6 and 7 ties Stones sounded dangerous...soul full....blacked and blues.....Magical...pop and R&R...folk and Hardrock....funk....Reggae...even rap..even south american sometimes....what a band...They could be a country band too!! Wich other white R&R band could do songs like (Melody..Shine AL..MY...ER..HS ect...they do it better than the Clash I say...and I luv The Clash Very mucho

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-12-18 23:12 by rooster.

Posted by: Brue ()
Date: December 18, 2009 22:14

>Do you ever go to hip hop shows? If you're white and you go to a show in, say, DC where I lived for a dozen years (and I don't mean a show at a big place, of a rap group that's been commercially successful and crossed over into the mainstream, I mean an upcoming, underground, or local group, rapper, dj) you will find yourself in a teeny minority. I've been to these shows -- and even tho up here in Maine now (96% white population) people like to say "hip hop has no race" often it does. And the race is black. or more to the point: the culture is black. and on and on...

Now, if this ain't patronizing, I don't know what is. What happened, DC got too hot for you? Maine?? lol. I lived in DC in the '80's when my brother built a nightclub down there, and went through the hardcore scene, while crack was hitting the street and 400 people were getting shot every year. There's no doubt that hip-hop has a lot to say, and even if you're not from the ghetto, maybe had a bad time at home, some of it makes sense. It does to me anyway, growing up nasty. When I played basketball, in high school for instance, it was me and four blacks in the starting lineup. You pick up a lot of culture by keeping your mouth shut and watching. First time I saw a DJ spin was on TV, and he was playing with a standard rock band, and I realized that it too was an instrument, and the guy that was scratching and spinning had some real talent. I think that rap and hip-hop get a bad rap from the rock scene because they're not considered to be playing any instruments, just ripping rockers off by sampling their riffs. Melodies are hard to create, and hip hop lacks them. Imo, that's why, when I said that rock took the blues a step farther, and the blacks didn't follow, is that it's an original art form. Which is exactly what hip hop is, WITHOUT the melody. Although, someone like Snoop Dog does have some good grooves with the bass lines that seem to actually move forward during the song - they seem to flow instead of being stagnant and repetitive. In hip hop, all the action is in the lyrics, and not the music. Whatever accompanies the voice is strictly secondary. Which doesn't take as much talent. One white boy's opinion.

Date: December 18, 2009 23:10

Brue
>Do you ever go to hip hop shows? If you're white and you go to a show in, say, DC where I lived for a dozen years (and I don't mean a show at a big place, of a rap group that's been commercially successful and crossed over into the mainstream, I mean an upcoming, underground, or local group, rapper, dj) you will find yourself in a teeny minority. I've been to these shows -- and even tho up here in Maine now (96% white population) people like to say "hip hop has no race" often it does. And the race is black. or more to the point: the culture is black. and on and on...

Now, if this ain't patronizing, I don't know what is. What happened, DC got too hot for you? Maine?? lol. I lived in DC in the '80's when my brother built a nightclub down there, and went through the hardcore scene, while crack was hitting the street and 400 people were getting shot every year. There's no doubt that hip-hop has a lot to say, and even if you're not from the ghetto, maybe had a bad time at home, some of it makes sense. It does to me anyway, growing up nasty. When I played basketball, in high school for instance, it was me and four blacks in the starting lineup. You pick up a lot of culture by keeping your mouth shut and watching. First time I saw a DJ spin was on TV, and he was playing with a standard rock band, and I realized that it too was an instrument, and the guy that was scratching and spinning had some real talent. I think that rap and hip-hop get a bad rap from the rock scene because they're not considered to be playing any instruments, just ripping rockers off by sampling their riffs. Melodies are hard to create, and hip hop lacks them. Imo, that's why, when I said that rock took the blues a step farther, and the blacks didn't follow, is that it's an original art form. Which is exactly what hip hop is, WITHOUT the melody. Although, someone like Snoop Dog does have some good grooves with the bass lines that seem to actually move forward during the song - they seem to flow instead of being stagnant and repetitive. In hip hop, all the action is in the lyrics, and not the music. Whatever accompanies the voice is strictly secondary. Which doesn't take as much talent. One white boy's opinion.

Can't believe you called me patronizing and then made fun of me for living in Maine. Sheesh -- I wasn't hostile toward or attacking anyone, you included. Oh well! I moved to Maine for work, and because it's a gorgeous place with many amazing, nice, creative people, and reasonable cost of living. I grew up outside NYC (spending much time in the city) and 12 years living in downtown DC. Because of the current recession and a consequent absence of work for me--and too few people my age who still like to go out and about to shows and stuff, and too little diversity--I'll be moving probably to Chicago, back to NYC, or West Coast in the next 6 months, unless somehow work materializes here.

So, no: DC didn't get "too hot" for me.

I don't know why you say what I wrote is patronizing. You actually are saying a lot of the same things that I was. You're saying you're white and were a minority on your basketball team and learned a lot by keeping your mouth shut - I basically was saying the same about going to hip hop shows that are predominantly black. As for being in Maine it's odd to be in such a white place, and when white people say hip hop has no race...well, put it this way: a white person is far more likely to say that than a black person. Many white people dig hip hop but for many (not all) white people the reality is that it will always be like a second language, even if they're/we're fluent in it.

I think your observations on rap, melody, lyrics, are really interesting -- and nothing I said contradicts that. You put it really well. And that's what I was saying about hip hop not being a genre that the Stones would adopt/adapt. For Keith, at least, it's too wordy, cerebral, and I said not guitar-y enough, but you put it well re: the action is in the lyrics set against a backdrop of beats and music.

Date: December 18, 2009 23:19

angee
swiss, that's some post up there, your treatise, fascinating,
much to think about. rings quite true to me, thanks.

Thanks, angee...it was pretty dang long, I know. winking smiley It was late and I didn't have time to pare it down.

I feel like there's probably several lifetimes of discussions about stuff like race, class, art, music, culture, similarities, commonalities, unifying conditions, differences, convergences and divergences - and history. I don't feel the US has ever really figured out that whole thing about slavery - what it means to have had slavery as an institution for much of our nation's formation and the fact that a large number of people didn't have a problem with that philosophically - even after it became illegal. I've had kickass honest conversations w/people in the south about all this, and some still carry anger and resentment about the Civil War, calling it (without irony) The War of Northern Aggression - and this is people who are in their 30s and 40s. Not like 90 years old. With that being the case, it doesn't seem we ever really healed after the Civil War. The South was forced by law to change their ways, but the law doesn't erase existing culture and values, or change the way everyone thinks and feels. So, to me, any time we have discussions like this, on this board or wherever, it's important. It feels a little weird and uncomfortable sometimes, but in an ok way? There's no right answer...I think we're all figuring it out together best we can smiling smiley I love that we can do that.

Date: December 18, 2009 23:21

If a black ....i say Native American likes you (or some mixed up person like me) he or she will not leave you...in danger....you feel trust and love...its all mind games and wasting your time to think like this....what a stupid world....cheers to Rock...and anybody whom tired of this shite!!

Date: December 18, 2009 23:23

DiamondDog7
Bärs
DiamondDog7
Bärs

hmm... nope!

I understand your point, Bärs. But I do still disagree. Even the Parliament or Funkadelic adopt the sound of rock in their funky sound.

Isn't it interesting that some people are saying Parliament/Funkadelic shouldn't be in the RRHOF winking smiley

Date: December 18, 2009 23:25

I try to go..as a golden brown to a lot of R&R concerts white or black

Date: December 18, 2009 23:28

We are stupid...we should think about more important things

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: December 19, 2009 01:10

The current President of the USA is also a Stones fan. Stevie Wonder,Snoop Dog Wyclef Jean, Buddy Guy,BB King and Tina Turner are also big fans.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1189
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home