Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: Child of the moon
Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: March 30, 2014 11:52

71Tele
I emailed Michael Lyndsay-Hogg about the promo film and this is what he told me:

"We shot it on a Sunday, the day after we did their first video, 'JJ Flash'. The actress who plays the young woman, i e not child or old, is (now Dame) Eileen Atkins, who has had a long and rewarded career in English movies, TV, theatre (hence Dame). Ian Stewart drove me and Charlie Watts back to London from the location in his van. Charlie said, if he had his total druthers, he'd play drums in a jazz combo, using those little metal brushes, his favorite implements. How's that ?"

I adore this song but had somehow never seen the video before eye popping smiley --this is great info, as I'd never have recognized Eileen Atkins otherwise. In fact, my first response was to think the woman was reminiscent of Myra Hindley (the Moors murderess), which creeped me out somewhat, so I'm glad to be able to erase that thought. (I didn't actually think it WAS Hindley, you understand, just that she had the same sort of look.)

Actually, I think I must have seen it before at the time--but not since.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-30 12:07 by Aquamarine.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: March 30, 2014 18:20

This has to be from the Child Of The Moon shoot, right? Photographer unknown to me.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: March 30, 2014 19:19

Green Lady
This has to be from the Child Of The Moon shoot, right? Photographer unknown to me.

Yes. Photographer might have been director Michael Lindsay-Hogg. Not sure if they took another photographer to the set. This was the day after the JJF promo film shoot.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: March 30, 2014 19:36

Aquamarine
71Tele
I emailed Michael Lyndsay-Hogg about the promo film and this is what he told me:

"We shot it on a Sunday, the day after we did their first video, 'JJ Flash'. The actress who plays the young woman, i e not child or old, is (now Dame) Eileen Atkins, who has had a long and rewarded career in English movies, TV, theatre (hence Dame). Ian Stewart drove me and Charlie Watts back to London from the location in his van. Charlie said, if he had his total druthers, he'd play drums in a jazz combo, using those little metal brushes, his favorite implements. How's that ?"

I adore this song but had somehow never seen the video before eye popping smiley --this is great info, as I'd never have recognized Eileen Atkins otherwise. In fact, my first response was to think the woman was reminiscent of Myra Hindley (the Moors murderess), which creeped me out somewhat, so I'm glad to be able to erase that thought. (I didn't actually think it WAS Hindley, you understand, just that she had the same sort of look.)

Actually, I think I must have seen it before at the time--but not since.

I think that's that English 60's factory girl look isn't it?

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: March 30, 2014 23:42

Not sure what sort of look it was, but definitely specific to the time.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: March 30, 2014 23:44

Aquamarine
Not sure what sort of look it was, but definitely specific to the time.

Cool...timeless.

Posted by: rob51 ()
Date: April 1, 2014 03:36

Loved this for it's melencoly sound when it came out and still love listening to it. Don't know if it would fly live though? Too many studio inspired sounds.

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: April 1, 2014 13:12

Anyone have a link to the 4 min acoustic version?

According to Martin Elliot's Complete Recording Sessions, there are

1. Santanic Majesties sessions, a few outtakes (9:57)
2. acoustic outtake (4:16)
3. Flipside to JJF - Different mix than More Hot Rocks & Singles Collection, but not a seperate take. Also released on the '87 JJF single.(3:11)
4. Outtake with no vocal (3:11)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-01 13:13 by MingSubu.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: April 1, 2014 13:19

I Child of the Moon is my favorite of their psychedelic era tracks. Unlike others, I really don't get too excited about Dandelion, We Love You or even She's a Rainbow. But, it's all very catchy, I suppose. I love the piano on She's a Rainbow and Dandelion.

Date: April 1, 2014 13:24

The Stones Gear Guide,

Keith playing his psychedelic LP tuned to Open E and running into a Supreme, or AC30.

Brian playing soprano sax.

Rocky Dijon playing percussion. Which might be questionable.

Anyone think differently on this?

Date: April 1, 2014 13:30

thecitadel
What does the "RMK" bit mean on the title?

I don't think there is a concrete answer.

I've heard it is either Remake, or the initials of Allen Klein's kid.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: April 1, 2014 13:34

"Child of the Moon" and "Citadel" are their best intents at "psychedelic music". Partly because they'd work even without the psychedelic effects (they only add to the atmosphere but do not define the songs) and because they already have that typical Keith guitar rhythm thing which they would bring to perfection in the following years.

Posted by: TheBadRabbit ()
Date: April 1, 2014 17:40

Green Lady
[www.iorr.org]

Now this is linked from that and vice versa.

And here's the Eileen Atkins thread
[www.iorr.org]

Any 'Doc Martin' fans out there? Eileen Atkins plays Ruth Ellingham, the title character's aunt.

Have always loved this number...the imagery and the wistful feeling. Really dig the sort of Who-ish ending!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 1, 2014 23:52

RockManKills

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: April 2, 2014 00:01

Rockman

RockManKills

I fear you. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: Papo ()
Date: April 2, 2014 00:17

I loved this song from the very first time I heard it and I still love it.
I think it would/ could work very well live.

Date: April 2, 2014 01:04

I fear you.....no need to ...just a pussy in pimp clothes

ROCKMAN

Posted by: OzHeavyThrobber ()
Date: April 2, 2014 02:06

Hahaha thank you for the wake up laugh Terry. From now on every time I listen to COTM I'm thinking of you. Just not killing anyone preferably...

I agree it would work well live Papo. I don't see any issues really with the studio bit rob51 refers to although I get what he means. They pull off 2000LYFH and Rainbow just fine so I think this would be pretty easy. It's very guitar based and the brass could be filled by Bobby and co. I think it would grab the crowd generally but that's just me talking.

And thank you Doxa in all the years I couldn't be bothered posting I still read yours. We agree on so much. And the parts we don't agree on just means you require my guidance a little grinning smiley

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: April 2, 2014 02:38

The song has that beautiful trippiness. The Axis Bold as Love vibe. The great sounds they made with a four or eight track.

I imagine being a kid in 1967 in the back seat of a car. You are driving down the M1, it's 6:00 AM early summer and the sun is rising. There is light rain. You lower the window and the rain splashes your face as your stick your head out the window to experience it all. It's a moment of being alive...

It's also a nice stoner-LSD kind of song. Like another One Rainy Wish kind of "experience." Sigh........

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: April 2, 2014 09:40

MileHigh
The song has that beautiful trippiness. The Axis Bold as Love vibe. The great sounds they made with a four or eight track.

I imagine being a kid in 1967 in the back seat of a car. You are driving down the M1, it's 6:00 AM early summer and the sun is rising. There is light rain. You lower the window and the rain splashes your face as your stick your head out the window to experience it all. It's a moment of being alive...

It's also a nice stoner-LSD kind of song. Like another One Rainy Wish kind of "experience." Sigh........

Great imagery, Mile High. You captured the vibe of the song perfectly.

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: April 2, 2014 10:03

I do not think it would really work live, and therefore they've probably never considered playing it.

Date: April 2, 2014 10:05

Psychedelic rock at its finest. And influencal as well. There wouldn't have been any Sweet Emotion without this one..

Date: April 22, 2014 04:58

OzHeavyThrobber
I am lost as to why they have never played this track live...

Not enough guitar solo spots, unlike Silver Train.

Posted by: rob51 ()
Date: April 23, 2014 05:34

Loved this from the first. Has that melencoly Jimmy Reed type of sound to it the Stones only seemed to get at Olympic and I've always thought it was a bit of a mistake for them to stop recording there.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: April 23, 2014 12:17

Absolutely fantastic song, one of their very best. Has a subtle power to it, yet so fragile

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-23 12:18 by bitusa2012.

Posted by: ash ()
Date: April 23, 2014 14:47

Love this track and what a great single JJF/COTM is. That's pretty much as good as it gets isn't it ?
The video combination of this and the facepaint JJF is also equal to anything from the 60s promo-clip-wise..

Has anyone ever seen a really clean colour copy of the COTM promo video ? The best i've seen has the colour kind of washed out.

Is it also not a great shame that a year or so after this, almost all bands stopped making stand-alone singles choosing instead to lift something from the new album ? Effectively put an end to gems like this and rendered singles largely obsolete except as sales tools.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 23, 2014 17:08

ash
Love this track and what a great single JJF/COTM is. That's pretty much as good as it gets isn't it ?
The video combination of this and the facepaint JJF is also equal to anything from the 60s promo-clip-wise..

Has anyone ever seen a really clean colour copy of the COTM promo video ? The best i've seen has the colour kind of washed out.

Is it also not a great shame that a year or so after this, almost all bands stopped making stand-alone singles choosing instead to lift something from the new album ? Effectively put an end to gems like this and rendered singles largely obsolete except as sales tools.

Well it only took 40 years or so to come full circle. Ladies and gentlemen I give you Doom & Gloom/One More Shot

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: August 18, 2020 11:23

I really love this song...and i think she deserves more views and likes!!!
C'mon people!!
[youtu.be]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-08-18 11:24 by KRiffhard.

Posted by: TIRED ()
Date: August 18, 2020 12:47

Child Of The Moon is one of the best examples of a rock masterpiece obviously underrated at first by the producer, the record company and possibly even Mick and Keith.

A song that is extremely original and captivating, definitely hit material, got side B! Well, at least it was side B to one of the top 3 songs the Stones ever released (JJF).

As to "why never performed live": I would think it was considered at some point (from Steel Wheels Tour onwards), but in the rehearsals not every song turns out to be suitable for concerts.

Another such song is "Have You Seen Your Mother, Baby" - I always thought the intro with the trumpet fanfare would have been perfect as an opening song but as far as I know it hasn't been performed live since the 60s (not counting Mick Jagger solo concert 1993 Webster Hall NYC).

Date: August 18, 2020 12:50

Have You Seen Your Mother Baby ....

CLASSIC sixties noise .... So under-rated ...

ROCKMAN

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1484
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home