Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: What a cover band did; so tasteless!
Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: March 26, 2014 19:27

I love that saying, Max! The worst thing is, now I'm going to spend the afternoon with a (newer) blues song written on that theme in my head and I CAN'T REMEMBER WHO DID IT! Argh. The lyric I'm thinking of is: "Three sides to every story. Yours, mine and the whole damn truth." At least it's a cool song and the artist will come to me eventually... If Rockman doesn't post it first, that is!

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: March 26, 2014 19:36

jamesfdouglas
My girlfriend is a bartender at a tavern that has live music every Friday night. So this greyed-out weekend warrior type of band (you know the kind, they spend more time yapping about the past than actually playing anything or progressing at rehearsals) decide to cover Jumping Jack Flash.

They dedicated the song to Mick Jagger, who is "going through a very trying time right now." No much of a response from the crowd.

"His girlfriend just killed herself".

Well yeah, that got a reaction, but not the kind of reaction that a "professional" band wants to get out of a bar on a Friday night.

Asking why he said such a thing on the microphone, he told me that he's "too much of a fan of The Stones to not say anything". Pretending that I know next to nothing about the situation, and not mentioning that I'm a full time musician myself, I asked him if bumming out the crowd like that was a good idea or not".

"We musicians have to stick together, you wouldn't understand", was what he said to me.

I had no words for him after that.
That was hard-fail... on SO many levels.
What an complete and absolute fool.
Part of me wanted to tell them all to just stay the $%&@ home.

I agree with Mr DJA, much ado about nothing….i see no offense. a little surprised
that JD would wonder why he would say such a thing on the microphone. a lot less offensive than some of his posts about the stones, imho.

Posted by: Loose ()
Date: March 26, 2014 20:06

Good post Redhotcarpet, very true

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: March 26, 2014 20:14

Redhotcarpet
It funny how times change, and how times and aging of course change the artists as well as their fans. We all grow older. Had this been in 1976 the crowd had gone wild because they'd interpret it as a "punky" thing to say. And the Stones image - back in 1977/1978 - had "gained" from the tragedy in the same way their image forever changed when Brian died. Not that they'd want or seek it but their image changed.

Please please PLEASE don't report this as offensive. It's not meant that way, Im not saying Mick or anybody is gaining anything from what's happened now. Not at all. Of course not. In no way. I'm just commenting on what this coverband did and how different a crowd could have reacted in 1976/1977 because of the punk movement, what the Rolling Stones represented back in 1976 and how they used the media in 1977/1978. It has nothing to do with now.

so this is the new IORR. You have something to say which is perfectly reasonable and you feel you have to beg people not to "report" you to the boss so you won't get reprimanded or "banned" for saying what you have to say. Your disclaimer is longer than your actual post (I'm not knocking you, I fully understand).

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: March 26, 2014 20:15

Stoneburst
silkcut1978_
what a heartbreaking little story.

this band should be banned immediately from here and there and everywhere else, too.

A post that truly embraces the spirit of the new IORR.org.

truly, but i think silkcut was taking the piss to make the same point.

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: March 26, 2014 21:12

Rokyfan
Redhotcarpet
It funny how times change, and how times and aging of course change the artists as well as their fans. We all grow older. Had this been in 1976 the crowd had gone wild because they'd interpret it as a "punky" thing to say. And the Stones image - back in 1977/1978 - had "gained" from the tragedy in the same way their image forever changed when Brian died. Not that they'd want or seek it but their image changed.

Please please PLEASE don't report this as offensive. It's not meant that way, Im not saying Mick or anybody is gaining anything from what's happened now. Not at all. Of course not. In no way. I'm just commenting on what this coverband did and how different a crowd could have reacted in 1976/1977 because of the punk movement, what the Rolling Stones represented back in 1976 and how they used the media in 1977/1978. It has nothing to do with now.

so this is the new IORR. You have something to say which is perfectly reasonable and you feel you have to beg people not to "report" you to the boss so you won't get reprimanded or "banned" for saying what you have to say. Your disclaimer is longer than your actual post (I'm not knocking you, I fully understand).

This reply will self destruct in 5,4,3,2... eye popping smiley

Posted by: BlackHat ()
Date: March 26, 2014 21:34

How rock and roll (not). Really. Some people try too hard to be cool,

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: March 27, 2014 01:56

RockinJive
roryfaninva
Hmmmm...I don't see anything particularly offensive. Sounds like in his own perhaps clumsy way the guy was trying to make a simple gesture of support- no different than dozen (or hundreds) of posts on this site. At least he didn't indulge in an obsessive fan fantasy that he knows the people involved, their relationships with each other, their motivations or whats best for them. Lighten up Francis....

i think the quote "His girlfriend just killed herself" was pretty crude. Why not just say passed away or lost her life.

I guess Lou Reed's Street Hassle is a bit off for you too then?..............eye popping smiley

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: March 27, 2014 02:09

<<Why not just say passed away or lost her life.>>

Because you can only lose what is taken from you. You cannot lose what you take yourself.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: March 27, 2014 06:08

Tasteless maybe, but not as bad as the Clash in Cleveland in February 1979. They were doing a benefit "for this guy who's got no legs. I'm sure you know what I'm talking about." Really.

Posted by: fahthree ()
Date: March 27, 2014 14:36

We have different definitions of "tasteless". Hypersensitivity running rampant.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: March 31, 2014 01:28

BlackHat
How rock and roll (not). Really. Some people try too hard to be cool,

Exactly my point. It reeked of desperation, but part of me sense the delusional alignment with The Stones that this particular group seemed to had. It's like association with brand loyalty, kind of pathetic. But when you take it all away even, it's tasteless. A woman who they've never met does something tragic in another part of the world, and these tits pull the tragedy directly into their show like grubby attention whores.

[thepowergoats.com]

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1654
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home