Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Oh Lord, Don't Let Them Drop That Atomic Bomb On Me
Posted by: liddas ()
Date: May 20, 2005 13:04

I was in a "Mingus mood" yesterday: I played in a row (at maximum volume) almost all of his CDs. I L O V E Mingus!!! Anyway, when it was the turn of Oh Yeah, (Mingus debute on piano and ... vocals!!! + Roland Kirk Booker Ervin Jimmy Knepper Doug Watkins and the great Dannie Richmond on drums - one of the greatest blues combos of all times) I recalled that Keith had covered Oh Lord on a Mingus tribute CD.

I tried to buy it at the time, but could not find it here in Italy. Who cares, tribute CD are mostly useless anyway, but I was just curious: how was K's cover?

C

Re: Oh Lord, Don't Let Them Drop That Atomic Bomb On Me
Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: May 20, 2005 13:08

liddas Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Jimmy Knepper.

ROFL. Is his name actually "Knepper"??? That means F u c k e r in Danish. LOL. grinning smiley

JumpingKentFlash

Date: May 20, 2005 13:21

That is his name (well, was, he died last summer). Interesting "freudian" choice for Mingus, I would say!!! So we can say he was also a great "trombonist" in real life (Trombatore in Italian means F u c k e r)

C

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: May 20, 2005 16:07

Keith's rendition takes this beautiful number to places it was craving to go. the name of the CD it's on is Weird Nightmare, and it's not out of print or anything - go for it, it's way cool.

"What do you want - what?!"
- Keith

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: May 20, 2005 16:13

Yes that was an excellent cover. When ever keith contributes to these tribute discs which he has done faurky often these last few years he always does an excellent job. Goes to show that Keith is a peerless musician. It seems that he is/was in a creative writing dry spell though. Maybe that is why he has helped out so much on other people's stuff. Something he never used to do. It's like he still has to create and this is the best way for him to do it at the time.

Date: May 20, 2005 18:15

Thank you all!

C

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2052
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home