Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Stones and double-neck guitars?
Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: March 25, 2014 21:26

OK Bluzdude. Trivia. Do you know why Plant used the term on the Crunge?

Answer: Plant was a big fan of James Brown. The Crunge was their attempt at funk. Jame Brown would tell his band when to go to the bridge of the song. "Take me to the bridge". It was Plant paying tribute to Brown.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: March 25, 2014 21:29

More Hot Rocks
OK Bluzdude. Trivia. Do you know why Plant used the term on the Crunge?

Answer: Plant was a big fan of James Brown. The Crunge was their attempt at funk. Jame Brown would tell his band when to go to the bridge of the song. "Take me to the bridge". It was Plant paying tribute to Brown.

thumbs up

Posted by: Wroclaw ()
Date: March 25, 2014 21:40

Roll73
TornAndFried
custom55

Wow..never saw this photo before. Looks to be around 1967. This is the only time I've ever seen Townshend with a double-neck SG. I wonder what songs he used it on?

Wonder if he smashed it up at the end?

My first reaction was that this is a good photoshop work... the picture is clearly from the Monterrey era as the outfits are clearly of the same type you see during the famous My Generation bit at MPF in the "Summer of Love", and you do not see him play that in any of that US tours filmed gigs (and several were filmed and short parts of them used in the "Kids are allright" movie as part of the Collage of Townshend smashing guitars).

HOWEVER: a quick google search reveales the full details, including a "mystery" about the "non parallel necked guitar"...

[www.thewho.net]

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: March 25, 2014 22:02

Wroclaw
Roll73
TornAndFried
custom55

Wow..never saw this photo before. Looks to be around 1967. This is the only time I've ever seen Townshend with a double-neck SG. I wonder what songs he used it on?

Wonder if he smashed it up at the end?

My first reaction was that this is a good photoshop work... the picture is clearly from the Monterrey era as the outfits are clearly of the same type you see during the famous My Generation bit at MPF in the "Summer of Love", and you do not see him play that in any of that US tours filmed gigs (and several were filmed and short parts of them used in the "Kids are allright" movie as part of the Collage of Townshend smashing guitars).

HOWEVER: a quick google search reveales the full details, including a "mystery" about the "non parallel necked guitar"...

[www.thewho.net]

Thanks for the clarification! I knew good 'ol Pete is no double-neck-jerk...Pete is one of my guitar-heroes together with Brian and Keith and Ronnie and Mick...

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: March 25, 2014 22:03

Roll73

Say that to his face...

Page looks so Spinal Tap-ish here it's embarrassing... confused smiley

The Stones weren't exactly beacons of style in 73-77 but at least they spared us this...

Posted by: erad ()
Date: March 26, 2014 07:50

dcba
Roll73

Say that to his face...

The Stones weren't exactly beacons of style in 73-77 but at least they spared us this...
Not the most flattering pic of Page but the double neck wasn't a gimmick, he used it for The Song Remains The Same which opened the show in '77 and then switched to the 6 string because they launched straight into Sick Again. Stairway also needed the six and twelve string.

The outfit Page wore for the majority of the '77 tour and seen in this pic is one of the most iconic in rock history imo, he looked damn cool in it in my view!

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: March 26, 2014 09:11

erad
dcba
Roll73

Say that to his face...

Not the most flattering pic of Page but the double neck wasn't a gimmick, he used it for The Song Remains The Same which opened the show in '77 and then switched to the 6 string because they launched straight into Sick Again. Stairway also needed the six and twelve string.

The outfit Page wore for the majority of the '77 tour and seen in this pic is one of the most iconic in rock history imo, he looked damn cool in it in my view!

Too close to a clown-dress...this is cool:

2 1 2 0

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: March 26, 2014 09:30

John McLaughlin yielded a double-neck with the Mahavishnu Orchestra.

Posted by: TornAndFried ()
Date: March 26, 2014 10:17

erad
dcba
Roll73

Say that to his face...

I actually got to hold Jimmy Page's famous Gibson double-neck after a show some years ago and man, was it heavy! That beast must have weighed 15 pounds. His back would have been aching if he played it for more than a few songs. What an amazing piece of rock history that instrument is.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-27 12:22 by TornAndFried.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: March 27, 2014 06:35

Page used the double-neck on a bunch of songs over the years (e.g., Stairway, The Song Remains the Same, The Rain Song, The Rover/Sick Again, Tangerine, and possibly the early live arrangements of Celebration Day). But he only used both necks within the same song on Stairway.

Posted by: rollingmike ()
Date: March 27, 2014 12:58

Finally found it!

[images.wolfgangsvault.com]

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2240
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home