Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Could this be an opportunity for Jagger to leave The Stones?
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 23, 2014 12:17

Which didn't caught on... stiff luck I guess

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: March 23, 2014 12:32

Yeah, Rockman. Or limp luck - if there is such a word?

Posted by: StonedInTokyo ()
Date: March 23, 2014 13:13

ROPENI
Mick is 70 years old, and he has many other business interests, so after losing his partner of many years he may just decide its time for a change....what say you??

Oh, please. He's got at least seven children with at least four different women and he's gone through divorce twice. Sure it's a sad outcome for Mick & L'Wren but life goes on, at least for Mick, and that means completing the 14 on Fire tour.

Posted by: Dreamer ()
Date: March 23, 2014 13:35

Lady Jayne
Green Lady
The trouble is that when the new normal happens and Mick gets up on stage again, that will be the cue for the tabloids to put on their self-righteous Grief Police hats, reprint a lot of the stories from this week and hammer on about How Could He? The public's memory may be short, but a tabloid's memory makes an elephant look forgetful.

Yes, this is what I fear. The media will be out in force if the tour goes on in a matter of weeks and the stories will all be geared to this tragedy - is he below par performing, then there will be all the 'broken by grief/guilt' stories; if he performs as normal, then it will be said he is callous. Will he continue wearing L'Wren's designs for the rest of the tour? Either way you can see how he will be criticised. The guy just won't be able to win whatever he does. I think the Stones have had much trickier gigs to play than this - imagine how the first one after Altamont would have felt! - but the media has changed.

Fueled by posts on iorr from people who just couldn't stop doing suggestions and spreading their thoughts over and over again.

Something The Sicilian (thank you!) posted a couple of days ago:

"How about the first rule upon the passing of someone? A kind word or no words, condolences, then mind your own business and let people grieve in their own way."

In answer to that; Yes, this still could be an opportunity for all of us to do...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-23 13:38 by Dreamer.

Posted by: originalstones ()
Date: March 23, 2014 13:51

Rockman
NO ... but it's time to return to the studio with The Stones... that's where the real healing would occur

smileys with beer

Posted by: ROPENI ()
Date: March 23, 2014 14:27

StonedInTokyo
ROPENI
Mick is 70 years old, and he has many other business interests, so after losing his partner of many years he may just decide its time for a change....what say you??

Oh, please. He's got at least seven children with at least four different women and he's gone through divorce twice. Sure it's a sad outcome for Mick & L'Wren but life goes on, at least for Mick, and that means completing the 14 on Fire tour.
Well, you may be right,BUT HE IS 70 years old,has all the money,he could want,has many other busineses on the side,movies,tv projects,etc,and as far as the tour obviously he was doing it forthe huge amount of money that promoters threw at him..Imo l can't see him back on stage doing his act,after the loss of his girlfriend,but hey l could be wrong,so will see....

"No dope smoking no beer sold after 12 o'clock"

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: March 23, 2014 15:30

Dreamer
Lady Jayne
Green Lady
The trouble is that when the new normal happens and Mick gets up on stage again, that will be the cue for the tabloids to put on their self-righteous Grief Police hats, reprint a lot of the stories from this week and hammer on about How Could He? The public's memory may be short, but a tabloid's memory makes an elephant look forgetful.

Yes, this is what I fear. The media will be out in force if the tour goes on in a matter of weeks and the stories will all be geared to this tragedy - is he below par performing, then there will be all the 'broken by grief/guilt' stories; if he performs as normal, then it will be said he is callous. Will he continue wearing L'Wren's designs for the rest of the tour? Either way you can see how he will be criticised. The guy just won't be able to win whatever he does. I think the Stones have had much trickier gigs to play than this - imagine how the first one after Altamont would have felt! - but the media has changed.

Fueled by posts on iorr from people who just couldn't stop doing suggestions and spreading their thoughts over and over again.

"How about the first rule upon the passing of someone? A kind word or no words, condolences, then mind your own business and let people grieve in their own way."

In answer to that; Yes, this still could be an opportunity for all of us to do...

Since I take it that your post is aimed at me, Dreamer, I will take that opportunity. The rest is silence.

Posted by: Lady Jayne ()
Date: March 23, 2014 16:14

Green Lady
Dreamer
Lady Jayne
Green Lady

Since I take it that your post is aimed at me, Dreamer, I will take that opportunity. The rest is silence.

Please reconsider, GL. Your thoughts are as valuable as anyone else's and none that I have seen you express on this board have been unduly negative of the people involved or disrespectful of the situation. Dreamer's comment seems equally directed to me.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: March 23, 2014 16:33

Lady Jayne
Green Lady
Dreamer
Lady Jayne
Green Lady

Please reconsider, GL. Your thoughts are as valuable as anyone else's and none that I have seen you express on this board have been unduly negative of the people involved or disrespectful of the situation. Dreamer's comment seems equally directed to me.

Anyway GreenLady & LadyJayne, Sicilian's is only a suggestion not a Fatwa or directive from the Vatican......

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 23, 2014 16:40

EddieByword
Lady Jayne
Green Lady
Dreamer
Lady Jayne
Green Lady

Anyway GreenLady & LadyJayne, Sicilian's is only a suggestion not a Fatwa or directive from the Vatican......

Although we should note that Sicily is geographically close to the Vatican.

Your posts seem pretty respectful...I don't think Dreamer was directing anything at you specifically.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: March 23, 2014 17:09

Jagger left the Stones in the mid 80s. Once Keith said "Nothing is bigger than the Stones" animosity soon departed.

The Rolling Stone magazine cover at that time with MJ -KR at odds was poignant and disturbing at the same time.

Concerning current state of affairs-

Death is a crushing blow, but our fate faces same consequences. Mourning is a part of the process, but we must move on!

Posted by: Dreamer ()
Date: March 23, 2014 17:50

Green Lady
Dreamer
Lady Jayne
Green Lady

No I wasn't aiming at any Lady; don't worry! I just took your words to make this point.

Posted by: Vwoods747 ()
Date: March 23, 2014 18:11

Thank you Rockman!

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: March 23, 2014 18:15

"Could this be an opportunity for Jagger to leave The Stones? "

A resounding NO ! Actually I think he's never needed "The Stones"/Keith/Charlie/Ronnie+sidemen as much as now, especially Keith and Charlie, without such "peers" it would likely be a different story...LSTNT and "now I need you more than ever" back in the setlist possibly?

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: March 23, 2014 18:17

The amount of stupidity that has emerged here recently is astounding.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: March 23, 2014 18:31

I accept that I wasn't the target (sorry, Dreamer), but nevertheless I will be staying out of these speculation threads in future. I don't often agree with The Sicilian, but this time he's right.

Date: March 23, 2014 18:45

the thread title is phrased a though the stones are a bit of a nuisance for Mick, and he's looking for a way to get out of an obligation.

quite a ridiculous thread, IMHO.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: March 23, 2014 18:55

Don't be so humble treacle, you're right.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: March 23, 2014 19:01

One thing I've noticed here on IORR: The stupider the thread, the more posts it will get. A stupid thread is a popular thread...

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: March 23, 2014 19:25

Formulating rational thoughtful posts can be a self deprecating and intimidating business...stupid threads eliminate this nuisance...

Posted by: peter wilson ()
Date: March 23, 2014 21:32

That will never happen.

The "brand name" in itself will retire one day naturally only as a performing/recording act, but the "brand name" and its fantastic musical legacy will remain as an entity for years and years to come, and for future generations to appreciate and enjoy.

This is an old boys club now, and old boys clubs stick together. You don't just leave.

Posted by: berlinjive ()
Date: March 23, 2014 21:33

Mick has always been about the $ and for this reason he has never been my favorite Stone. Not extremely odd how his girlfriend tops herself off because her business failed. And the High Society backlash of losing face. By all accounts she was not an un-together person. So it seems the business literally killed her. At their level, how much $ does one really need? Its about the game. Mick will never quit the Stones because its all he has. The spin-off projects are not even on the map. The Stones as a band are the dynamo which gives the rest context.

I lost someone and it took quite a while to function again. If it were me the tour would be off. Period.2015? A very big Maybe. If they play Europe i wouldn't be surprised the press go after his ethics, here & there. fodder for the headlines, as usual. He will have my respect because i would not be able to summon it. Even with the love of the fans. Mick is not an extrovert in real life. Could some of those lyrics of the staple songs be uttered from my throat with any degree of passion? no way. Guess im not a professional.

Don't know if this comparison has been brought up in other threads but when Robert Plant lost his child in the '70's, Zep was at the same level as the Stones, and the band/machine was in limbo for well over a year, just like that. I dont want to divert things into the child vs. girlfriend, old vs. young, at all. And Page is as legendary as Jagger for being a penny-pincher. Then again it wasn't Page who had the tragedy. Everyone processes grief their own way. I hope he doesn't leave the Stones.

Date: March 24, 2014 01:06

Munichhilton
Formulating rational thoughtful posts can be a self deprecating and intimidating business...stupid threads eliminate this nuisance...

If you weren't a man, I'd love you even more than I already do.

Date: March 24, 2014 01:07

latebloomer
Don't be so humble treacle, you're right.

I've been eating humble pie lately...I can't shake the habit!

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: March 24, 2014 01:11

Total crap. What kind of crap thinking is that? The stupidity pouring out here lately is incredible.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: March 24, 2014 01:53

treaclefingers
Munichhilton

If you weren't a man, I'd love you even more than I already do.

If I weren't a man I'd have some explaining to do at home and at work...but thanks! this board needs more love...and more lurkers...

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: March 24, 2014 03:06

GasLightStreet
The amount of stupidity that has emerged here recently is astounding.

thumbs up

Posted by: blivet ()
Date: March 24, 2014 04:56

71Tele
Redhotcarpet
He left in the early 80s and officially in the mid 80s. I dont think he will ever use Stones to express any personal views or feelings again. Maybe a ballad or something.

He never left officially.

I'll admit to paying very little attention to the Stones' output after Wyman left, but even I am aware that "Highwire" and "Doom and Gloom" are clear expressions of Jagger's personal views.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: March 24, 2014 05:10

blivet
71Tele
Redhotcarpet
He left in the early 80s and officially in the mid 80s. I dont think he will ever use Stones to express any personal views or feelings again. Maybe a ballad or something.

He never left officially.

I'll admit to paying very little attention to the Stones' output after Wyman left, but even I am aware that "Highwire" and "Doom and Gloom" are clear expressions of Jagger's personal views.

You really should. A lot of great tunes were made.

Posted by: StonedInTokyo ()
Date: March 24, 2014 06:26

berlinjive
Don't know if this comparison has been brought up in other threads but when Robert Plant lost his child in the '70's, Zep was at the same level as the Stones, and the band/machine was in limbo for well over a year, just like that. I dont want to divert things into the child vs. girlfriend, old vs. young, at all. And Page is as legendary as Jagger for being a penny-pincher. Then again it wasn't Page who had the tragedy. Everyone processes grief their own way. I hope he doesn't leave the Stones.

The comparison has been made elsewhere, though I'm not sure it's a valid one. Not because of child vs. girlfriend, but because of timing. Led Zeppelin was able to offer Robert Plant all the time needed to grieve because time was on their side. Ultimately, it was a nearly 18-month artistic hiatus. Time is not on Mick Jagger's side, nor The Rolling Stones, with regard to entering an indefinite artistic hiatus. IMHO, it is for that reason alone they will move on and complete the 14 on Fire tour this year.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-24 09:24 by StonedInTokyo.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1577
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home