Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
The Great Charlie Watts
Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: March 20, 2014 14:22

While listening to Black And Blue, I really paid attention to Charlie's most excellent work on "Hand Of Fate". Textbook drumming! Perfect! Give it a listen.

What are some of your favorite Charlie moments?

Re: The Great Charlie Watts
Date: March 20, 2014 14:24

Listen to Hey Negrita on the very same album - brilliant!

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: March 20, 2014 14:34

smileys with beersmileys with beersmileys with beersmileys with beersmileys with beersmileys with beersmileys with beersmileys with beer

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: March 20, 2014 14:46

so many great tracks over the years! so consistently cool in what he plays. its so right for them. He is unique and all his style and who he is as a person comes through in his playing.

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: March 20, 2014 14:50

White drummers don't swing except Charlie Watts.

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: March 20, 2014 14:51

Crackin' Up from Love You Live. Coolest drumming ever.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 20, 2014 15:03

Part of his greatness/style is in the way he holds the sticks, no? There was a thread somewhere way back in the digital ether that discussed this.

Watts' jazz style way vs. Ringo's rock style way of holding the drum sticks.

Posted by: Rollin92 ()
Date: March 20, 2014 15:06

Charlie is superb on his own accord but the Stones wouldn't have been as killer without Wyman & Richards to lock with him and raise the bar.

The Holy Trinity in my opinion Watts-Wyman-Richards smileys with beersmileys with beer

Date: March 20, 2014 15:15

terraplane
Crackin' Up from Love You Live. Coolest drumming ever.

Agreed! With a little help from Ollie, of course smiling smiley

Date: March 20, 2014 15:47

Rollin92
Charlie is superb on his own accord but the Stones wouldn't have been as killer without Wyman & Richards to lock with him and raise the bar.

The Holy Trinity in my opinion Watts-Wyman-Richards smileys with beersmileys with beer

thumbs up

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: flilflam ()
Date: March 20, 2014 15:56

Charlie is indeed great on Hand of Fate. But listen to Keith's brief solo at 2:38 seconds into the song. Wayne's work is excellent, but Keith's solo spot with Charlie defines the song.

Posted by: 68to72 ()
Date: March 20, 2014 17:19

Elmo Lewis
While listening to Black And Blue, I really paid attention to Charlie's most excellent work on "Hand Of Fate". Textbook drumming! Perfect! Give it a listen.

His drumming on Black and Blue generally is excellent....But THE stand out track is Hand of Fate.......IMHO

Can bring on massive amounts of air drumming with the right levels of inebriation.smoking smiley

What a drag it is gettin' old

Date: March 20, 2014 17:41

68to72
Elmo Lewis

His drumming on Black and Blue generally is excellent....But THE stand out track is Hand of Fate.......IMHO

Can bring on massive amounts of air drumming with the right levels of inebriation.smoking smiley

thumbs up

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: March 20, 2014 17:46

I love Charlie's work on side 1 of Exile. Rocks Off, Tumbling Dice. Some of his finest work.

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: March 20, 2014 18:07

Dandelion is primo Charlie as well. He's normally not that busy but it works like a charm on that track.

Posted by: peter wilson ()
Date: March 20, 2014 18:09

Bitch. And I also love Let It Rock off the Brown Sugar single - feels like a freight train headin' for the end of the tracks at full speed. Both played loud of course.

Posted by: z ()
Date: March 20, 2014 18:15

There is no drummer like Charlie.
There's no guitar player like Keith.
No singer like Mick...
The Rolling Stones is one perfect coincidence! The fact that all of them met and formed this band is one of the greatest miracles of the 20th century.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: March 20, 2014 18:18

Levon Helm, Ian Paice, and I'm sure there are many, many more.

Posted by: 68to72 ()
Date: March 20, 2014 18:31

Koen

Levon Helm, Ian Paice, and I'm sure there are many, many more.

thumbs up Ian Paice.........Fabulous drummer

What a drag it is gettin' old

Posted by: ErwinH ()
Date: March 20, 2014 18:47

Charlie's great on a lot of songs,
but I really love parts where he plays sort of alone.

Like parts in highwire or rock and a hard place.

Briliant !!

Or listen to the intro of "knock your teeth out"!

Somehow I love all his grooves and fills.
(yep, I'm a drummer)

Posted by: watts fan ()
Date: March 20, 2014 18:54

He really grooves on "Sway" and pretty much the entire Ya-Ya's LP. I also love his playing on Aftermath & Between the Buttons. His style sure has changed over the decades.

Posted by: sdstonesguy ()
Date: March 20, 2014 22:39

Cloud...great on Cloud.

Posted by: Kirk ()
Date: March 20, 2014 23:01

treaclefingers
Part of his greatness/style is in the way he holds the sticks, no? There was a thread somewhere way back in the digital ether that discussed this.

Watts' jazz style way vs. Ringo's rock style way of holding the drum sticks.

Yes, there is a thread. I found it, as I happenned to start the conversation back then (2011) trying to find out some inforamtion on his style over the years with the help of drummers and people who know in IORR

[www.iorr.org]

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: March 20, 2014 23:25

its not so rare now but there was a time when Charlie hardly spoke to the press..

brief were the comments elicited from him..

now he'll allow an interview every now and then..

I'm remembering enjoying those first DownBeat and Modern Drummer interviews ..

Posted by: AussieMark ()
Date: March 20, 2014 23:41

Black & Blue is such an underrated album. Charlie's snare on that album is the best snare sound in recording history, IMHO.

Cheers
Mark
[rollingstoned.com.au]
[facebook.com]

Date: March 21, 2014 00:20

duke richardson
its not so rare now but there was a time when Charlie hardly spoke to the press..

brief were the comments elicited from him..

now he'll allow an interview every now and then..

I'm remembering enjoying those first DownBeat and Modern Drummer interviews ..

The press adverse Charlie can be funny... and he seems to play them like a drum

One of the finniest things I ever saw Charlie do was before that Miami pay per view, they were doing some preshow "candid" stuff, and at one point they put a camera on Charlie and asked him whats going on? and He says, dead panning, "Oh we are just having some snacks and waiting for the show to start" ...and then the camera pulls back... and lmao!!! it shows they had a cue card guy holding a card that had something like...

"Oh we are just
having some snacks
and waiting for the
show to start"

...written on it... I laughed so hard... I am still laughing... I can only imagine how the conversation to convince to tlak went... someone trying to convince Charlie he has to say something candid for the preshow ... and him saying something like "bloody hell, really? Why?.... and then he probably sais something like "Ohairght, Ill say something, but you have to write the lines and put them on cue cards"... it is all too funny.... especially the part where he makes sure they pull back to show the cue cards... I love Charlie!

then there was the time he was quoted in some magazine interview as saying he has made sketches of every hotel room he has stayed in.... AND THE Y PRINTED IT!!! LMAO!!!.... RIGHT!!! because all hotel rooms are so unqiue, he had to sketch them all!!!! LOL!!!!.... Charlie is THE BEST!!! HE IS THE BEST I TELL YOU!!! Funny and talented!!

Date: March 21, 2014 00:30

z
There is no drummer like Charlie.
There's no guitar player like Keith.
No singer like Mick...
The Rolling Stones is one perfect coincidence! The fact that all of them met and formed this band is one of the greatest miracles of the 20th century.

Hmmmm, I never thought about it , but you are so right right, they are rare men and it is not just their musical talent, it is the men themselves who are rare, they are able to stand up like a butterfly on a wheel and make it through record lable and industry screwjobs and through so much adversity and still they have continued to keep on rooling along on, and that is very very rare.

I admire the men/women who are multi multi multi millionaires but still keep doing what it was that made them so wealthy... people like Mick, Keith and Charlie... and Jerry Sienfeld and Bill Gates(although now retired, he worked at MSFT for a long time, and is now doing otehr work) and others who long ago could have left the hassles of doing what they do... but they didnt stop, they kept doing it because they love doing it, and it was not really only about making money any more

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-21 00:56 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: GOO ()
Date: March 21, 2014 00:46

He is the best

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: March 21, 2014 00:52

One of my favorite Charlie moments is in Slave. There's a part during the sax solo where he just is hitting the symbols, then he starts hitting the drums again and makes this really loud fill. He nails it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-21 00:55 by ryanpow.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: March 21, 2014 01:01

AussieMark
Black & Blue is such an underrated album. Charlie's snare on that album is the best snare sound in recording history, IMHO.

I can't understand why there's some people who doesn't like this album. It's not one of my favorites, but I think it's underrated, too.

Crazy Mama is a killer song, and Charlie is great as usual on this one.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1861
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home