Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Mick has to be back on stage, for his own sake
Posted by: Grichka ()
Date: March 22, 2014 06:43

Well I dont know about all jobs but I do my job with a lot of passion and for me it's also more than a job. Reason why my job saved me from completely drowing when I experience that stuff. I was back at work one month later.

This is not a advise for MJ, who I think dont spend much time reading us, it is an advise for ANYBODY going through a terrible life experience, including but not limited to MJ.

And it's not a sad story calling for pity, this is a resilience story, showing that one should never give up. We turned around the predictions of all doctors, go figure what would have happened if I had given up....

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-22 07:00 by Grichka.

Date: March 22, 2014 06:56

Anyway, I don´t know about your job BUT let´s face it: MJ`s job is not only about music but about emotions and entertaining people with passion - lighthearted, easygoing....giving joy to the whole world that is going to the shows etc....

May be he is able to write music and lyrics etc...record a new album.....make films.....
BUT in the middle of a tour I think it is VERY hard to do the shows for him, also because he is 70 years old and this shock is very hard to take for him right now, I think. The healing process needs time - personal time without a lot of publicity. And I don´t know how he will be able to cope with this. Well - we will see. I just ordered tickets for the upcoming shows....."let´s work" winking smiley....

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-22 07:01 by ThroughTheLonelyNights.

Posted by: Thru and Thru ()
Date: March 22, 2014 09:28

Grichka, thank you so much for sharing your son's terrible experience and how you coped with it. I totally agree with your first comments, getting back to work and a normal life after a tragedy is therapeutic for most people.

Of course I can't speak for Mick, I've never met the man and most likely never will. However, over the 50 years that I have followed my favorite band I have always gathered that he is a very strong person. I think with the help of his family, his band mates and friends he will find his way through this sad time eventually. Mick is a very private person but also a committed professional when it comes to being a performer and he knows how to keep the two separate. I think he will be able to get up on that stage again after he has done his private grieving as the true professional that he is and maybe even find some comfort in all the love that will surely come his way.

Lose your dreams and you will lose your mind...

Posted by: HighwireC ()
Date: March 22, 2014 10:05

Mick isn't a twentysomething anymore, The Stones are in their "Indian Summer", most of their fans too. The tragedy about L'Wrenn and Mick looks like the first "ground frost", many lovely flowers are frozen to death now.

I hope, Mick and his mates will have enough energy, will recover soon and can find a proper way to roll on.

For me, it wouldn't be a job as usual for Mick and his bandmates. They are more like creative artist, not only actors.

By chance, this heavy tragedy will initiate a new phase of creativity.

I hope so.

HighwireC

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: March 22, 2014 10:10

A plausible proposition no doubt, I guess we shall see.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: March 22, 2014 12:49

HighwireC
Mick isn't a twentysomething anymore, The Stones are in their "Indian Summer", most of their fans too. The tragedy about L'Wrenn and Mick looks like the first "ground frost", many lovely flowers are frozen to death now.

I hope, Mick and his mates will have enough energy, will recover soon and can find a proper way to roll on.

For me, it wouldn't be a job as usual for Mick and his bandmates. They are more like creative artist, not only actors.

By chance, this heavy tragedy will initiate a new phase of creativity.

I hope so.

HighwireC

If this had happened 40 years ago it would certainly have triggered an outpouring of creativity on Mick's part and perhaps even a masterpiece, his Berlin, but he's just not artist enough anymore to be able to pull something like that off. Realistically, I think the most we can expect is that he's able to get back on the road and continue to do what he's been doing, singing the songs he wrote when he was in his twenties. He may acknowledge the tragedy in some way, maybe with a heartfelt rendition of some very old song, the lyrics to which have now been given added emotional resonance, or he might not even do that. It might be easier for him to adopt a "business as usual" posture, and go on as if nothing ever happened.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-22 15:36 by tatters.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: March 22, 2014 13:01

I hope he writes something or tries a new art form. Music too.

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: March 22, 2014 13:54

Very nice post, Grichka, I aggree with everything you wrote. I am really lucky that I don't have any experience of this kind, but you obviously do. What you write is all very reasonable and sensitive.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-22 14:08 by Happy24.

Date: March 22, 2014 14:06

The Sicilian
Or what? Can Mick have some time to grieve here?

Even stars attend wakes and funerals. So much nonsense here. Give it a rest. All these scenarios and the "show must go on" crap. When and if he is ready he will make that decision. Maybe he wants to retire. Maybe he wants to wait a while.

He is a grown man, let him decide. It's a family matter.

The original poster didn't say a single word that would imply that Mick should not grieve or that he should not attend the funeral. Nor did anyone else before your post. The original post was a very sensitive opinion comming from someone with a comparable experience

I don't understand all those people here insisting that Mick and probably all of us MUST get deeper and deeper into the depression, retire and probably never laugh again. Sounding apocalyptical probably gives some people here a feeling of self-importance, but this is not the right time and place

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-22 14:12 by Happy24.

Date: March 22, 2014 14:10

-

Sorry, double post

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-22 14:10 by Happy24.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: March 22, 2014 14:24

Gricha, it was great to meet you and and your son Nikita in Singapore. The excitement at this show, for me, but in particular for you, is such a big contrast to what happened just two days later.

I do fully agree that the best way to get out of a crisis is to "get back to work" as soon as possible. Only problem for Mick is he is not a bus driver, he is an entertainer where love and passion is expected from him at a peaking performance on stage, so he will need some time to get the excitement needed. That is why I think he will be back on stage, but it is impossible to say how much time he needs.

Just ignore comments from people who don't understand what you are saying. They are just misunderstanding your message. Under these difficult days there are so many different ways of reacting and expresssing. We must me patient with each others.

Bjornulf

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-22 15:13 by bv.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: March 22, 2014 14:51

Gritchka, I am so sorry for what happened to your son. The way you have both fought to reclaim your lives is inspiring. You are right, work is often what keeps us going in a senseless world, and it can be any kind of work. I know someone who spent day after day baking in her kitchen to work through her pain.

As Voltaire famously wrote, "We must cultivate our garden."

Good luck to you and your son and to Mick Jagger as he deals with this next stage in his life.

Posted by: Lady Jayne ()
Date: March 22, 2014 14:55

Liking this article majoring on the cohesiveness of the band in the face of tragedy

[www.telegraph.co.uk]

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: March 22, 2014 15:04

Beautiful words Lady Jayne, thanks so much for posting.

I love these line, especially:

"...they have come to represent the appealing notion that age is no bar to having fun, that music is for life and not just for kids, and maybe it’s OK to grow old disgracefully.

The music The Rolling Stones play is rooted in the blues, a form that emerged from struggle, deprivation and misery but actually expresses quite the opposite, singing, dancing and laughing in the face of death. It is sometimes criticised as escapist but actually it’s gritty, dirty, lusty and celebratory, the stuff of life itself.

The truth is we all go through hard times, nobody is immune from tragedy, and music is one of the things we use to pull us through. Sometimes all you want to do is put your arms around your friends and sing together. I know, it’s only rock and roll – but there are times when nothing else will do."

Date: March 22, 2014 15:05

Lady Jayne
Liking this article majoring on the cohesiveness of the band in the face of tragedy

[www.telegraph.co.uk]

thumbs up

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 22, 2014 16:10

Gricha, very sorry to learn what happened to your son. Thank you for being so open with your experience. You've been very inspiring, stay strong.

Posted by: Dreamer ()
Date: March 22, 2014 22:51

The Sicilian
Rokyfan
The Sicilian
Or what? Can Mick have some time to grieve here?

Even stars attend wakes and funerals. So much nonsense here. Give it a rest. All these scenarios and the "show must go on" crap. When and if he is ready he will make that decision. Maybe he wants to retire. Maybe he wants to wait a while.

He is a grown man, let him decide. It's a family matter.
you mean you think fans that post here about how they know what is best for Mick to do are off base, have no clue, not a speck of a clue what Mick is going through, nor what he "needs" or "has" to do?

How about the first rule upon the passing of someone? A kind word or no words, condolences, then mind your own business and let people grieve in their own way.

One of the best posts in days...

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: March 22, 2014 23:25

We can all speculate on what's good or not for Mick and the Stones, based on our own experiences or not, and secretly wishing they will play again. But in the end it all comes down to them to decide what's best.

Posted by: rcho ()
Date: March 23, 2014 02:22

Grichka, thank you for sharing your story and I hope your son continues to improve. Mick and all the Stones are musicians, as artists music I am sure will continue to be part of their lives. And I suspect given time they will once again to decide to share it on stage. But it is going to be a hard road ahead.

Posted by: KatieGirl ()
Date: March 23, 2014 02:41

Grichka, thank you for sharing your story. And you're right, as a parent the worst thing is watching your child suffer. I am glad your son is better and that work was good therapy for you. You are also right about the aggressiveness of some posters here, just because they have a different point of view.

Date: March 23, 2014 04:11

bv
Gricha, it was great to meet you and and your son Nikita in Singapore. The excitement at this show, for me, but in particular for you, is such a big contrast to what happened just two days later.

I do fully agree that the best way to get out of a crisis is to "get back to work" as soon as possible. Only problem for Mick is he is not a bus driver, he is an entertainer where love and passion is expected from him at a peaking performance on stage, so he will need some time to get the excitement needed. That is why I think he will be back on stage, but it is impossible to say how much time he needs.

Just ignore comments from people who don't understand what you are saying. They are just misunderstanding your message. Under these difficult days there are so many different ways of reacting and expresssing. We must me patient with each others.

Hey bv!!

Thanks for your nice words. It was so nice meeting you everywhere on this tour, especially in Singapore with my son and a friend from Vietnam who was going out of the country for the first time ever. She was not interested to see a "band of 70 years old doing strange music" and is now a true Rolling Stones fan!!!! It just took 2 hours for Mick and Co to convince her!!

And then came the news a few days later.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-23 10:14 by Grichka.

Date: March 23, 2014 10:23

MJ is also a boss at the top of a large organization. Let's forget his "job" as entertainer to focus on the business he is running.
What I'm saying, because it will happen the same way to anyone in such situation, is that if you are at the top of an organization, business things (contracts cancellation, new contracts, decisions, insurance issues, law suits to handle, managing all kinds of things related to marketing, logistic etc...) will not stop flowing. Business does not grieve.

So at the beginning, if you are hit by some terrible thing, you can isolate yourself as everybody understand and accept that. And your organization is even going to help you isolate yourself for a (short) while. But very quickly, you are sucked back by all these pending issues waiting for you and, even though at the beginning it is unbearably painful, you get back into work.
This process contributes greatly to the healing.
In the case of MJ, it is even worse because his business organization is about himself performing or himself in a studio creating!
So as Ronnie said he may be back on stage sooner than later. With the help of his band mates and the help of the organization he is managing with great talent for many years.

Date: March 23, 2014 10:42

Grichka
MJ is also a boss at the top of a large organization. Let's forget his "job" as entertainer to focus on the business he is running.
What I'm saying, because it will happen the same way to anyone in such situation, is that if you are at the top of an organization, business things (contracts cancellation, new contracts, decisions, insurance issues, law suits to handle, managing all kinds of things related to marketing, logistic etc...) will not stop flowing. Business does not grieve.

So at the beginning, if you are hit by some terrible thing, you can isolate yourself as everybody understand and accept that. And your organization is even going to help you isolate yourself for a (short) while. But very quickly, you are sucked back by all these pending issues waiting for you and, even though at the beginning it is unbearably painful, you get back into work.
This process contributes greatly to the healing.
In the case of MJ, it is even worse because his business organization is about himself performing or himself in a studio creating!
So as Ronnie said he may be back on stage sooner than later. With the help of his band mates and the help of the organization he is managing with great talent for many years.

thumbs up
You seems to be a man who has learned to carry responsibility,
under heavy circumstances, too.

Nice to meet you, Grichka!

HighwireC

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-23 10:47 by HighwireC.

Posted by: rollingon ()
Date: March 23, 2014 10:51

I agree that it can be a mentally good thing for MJ actually to go back on the road and get involved in the business as soon as this initial shock what has happened has gone by, it's healthy to get your mind in something else after some time period. It won't be easy for him but I think The Stones will be back on tour in June. It would be much harder for some individual singer or artist I guess but the Stones are a band and they can really give great support to MJ now.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: March 23, 2014 11:19

Yeah, even if they were "stones in his garden" in the mid-80s, Mick is fortunate (who else can say that, not Macca, not Page, etc...) to still be working with peers who've been through pretty much everything with him. Even if they don't hang out together like in the late 60s, they can just get together and hammer it out like it's 1963.

I can't remember who said that, Chris Kimsey or Don Was maybe, but they were struck to see the guys get together in the studio after a long break, just say quick hellos and start playing together as if they'd last played the day before, priceless and it's likely this will help Mick tremendously in the coming weeks...

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-23 17:22 by gotdablouse.

Posted by: MarthaTuesday ()
Date: March 23, 2014 17:06

Grichka - I haven't really got anything more to add to what's already been said by others in this thread, but I just wanted to thank you for sharing your story. It's incredibly inspiring and I'm so pleased your son was able to go with you to a Stones show.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: March 23, 2014 20:18

gotdablouse
Yeah, even if they were "stones in his garden" in the mid-80s, Mick is fortunate (who else can say that, not Macca, not Page, etc...) to still be working with peers who've been through pretty much everything with him. Even if they don't hang out together like in the late 60s, they can just get together and hammer it out like it's 1963.

I can't remember who said that, Chris Kimsey or Don Was maybe, but they were struck to see the guys get together in the studio after a long break, just say quick hellos and start playing together as if they'd last played the day before, priceless and it's likely this will help Mick tremendously in the coming weeks...

There's an interview with Taylor in which he says the Stones really hardly didn't talk with each other but communicated through the music.
I guess it also has to do with English customs which are typical for their generation and class.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: March 23, 2014 20:24

There you go, again, in the current tragic circumstances for him that should really a lot, no need to talk, a few hugs and let the music flow...

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-23 20:24 by gotdablouse.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1475
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home