Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: Advice on buying a turntable
Posted by: Kirk ()
Date: March 12, 2014 23:27

Well I've got Stones albums in various CD versions (SACD, Virgin mid 90's editions etc.) but I also have more than 50 vinyls ranging from very good to so and so condition. I started to collect Stones cds no sooner than 1995-96. My first Stones album which I bought only as a cd was Bridges to Babylon. Up to then and since 1976 I exclusively listened to vinyls. Then something went wrong with my turntable (it was a Pioneer) and never bought a new one. So I would appreciate some advice on buying a new one at a reasonable price. I did some research but I got lost, since I haven't really be in touch with what is going on in this field since a very long time.
Thank you!

Re: OT: Advice on buying a turntable
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 12, 2014 23:33

Go for a SOTA.... MILLENNIA model if ya got theee bucks ...comes with vacuum mat ..... you won't believe how good they sound ....

[www.sotaturntables.com]

ROCKMAN

Date: March 12, 2014 23:36

I still have my Pioneer PL-990.

Blasting Yo Yo by the Kinks on it as we speak smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-12 23:37 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 12, 2014 23:39

I have a Technics SL1900, not the Cadillac but not bad at all. I think it's form 1978.

I'd get a classic for a really good price, try craiglist for your local area, so you don't have to worry about shipping, and get a great cartridge.

Posted by: kwf ()
Date: March 12, 2014 23:42

I friend of mine bought a TT with a USB port on it...good idea....

Date: March 12, 2014 23:44

kwf

I've never taken the plunge. I guess I have all the CD's already, and can't even imagine recording all the LPs to my turntable. That's 9 months of my life I need.

Beyond recording, is it that you're using your PC as your stereo? If so that makes sense but unless you're endowed with a fantastic sound card and speakers, you're missing the benefit of the vinyl.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: March 12, 2014 23:47

I've got a Technics SL-1200, I love it.

Just don't get a Crosley, if you can afford better.

Date: March 12, 2014 23:48

You can switch, Treacle. I don't have one of those USB-players myself, but I have a M-audio preamp that actually enhances the sound quality for my gear. Everytime I have my pc on the preamp kicks in, and there is a difference.

Date: March 12, 2014 23:52

Aquamarine
I've got a Technics SL-1200, I love it.

Just don't get a Crosley, if you can afford better.

Yes, the SL-1200 has been my dream since I was a child.

One day.

They stopped making them a couple of years ago, no?

Only thing you can buy now is used.

Date: March 12, 2014 23:54

Yes, I think I must have got one of the last ones. I know they used to be very popular with DJs.

Date: March 12, 2014 23:57

DandelionPowderman
You can switch, Treacle. I don't have one of those USB-players myself, but I have a M-audio preamp that actually enhances the sound quality for my gear. Everytime I have my pc on the preamp kicks in, and there is a difference.

I have a pretty good Harmon Kardon 5.1 for my PC. It's a few years old, and certainly lasted longer than my PCs!

That said, I'd definitely have to upgrade my soundcard before I started using it as a stereo. I have a decent set up in the living room, so that is working good for now. Still, I spent a long time ripping all my CDs to lossless and they reside on my PC. Be great to cart that into the living room and have my own juke box.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: March 13, 2014 00:30

Here's a vinyl joke for ya.

How many Bieber fans does it take to play a record on a turntable?

Answer: Three. One to put the record on and two to turn the table round. HaHaHa! Just made that one up, and I'm not even on drugs!

Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: March 13, 2014 00:57

This company make nice decks at reasonable prices...

[www.project-audio.com]

Date: March 13, 2014 01:30

stonehearted

Answer: Three. One to put the record on and two to turn the table round. HaHaHa! Just made that one up, and I'm not even on drugs!

love variations on the light bulb joke!

Posted by: marquess ()
Date: March 13, 2014 01:32

You should go for a REGA (english brand).

Best value for Money you can get.

I have two (a 12 year old REga Planar 2 - that is great! and a Rega P9 - the top one).

Both are fantastic for the price I payed.

You should try.

regards

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: March 13, 2014 02:44

treaclefingers
stonehearted

love variations on the light bulb joke!

Especially when Bieber fans aren't the brightest bulbs on the shelf!

Posted by: Godxofxrock9 ()
Date: March 13, 2014 02:55

Crosley aint that bad i have one and it sounds nice it has cd cassette and vinyl i love it

Posted by: Rialb ()
Date: March 13, 2014 03:00

I have a Rega P5 I have been very pleased with.

Posted by: Jesse1960 ()
Date: March 13, 2014 03:44

treaclefingers
I have a Technics SL1900, not the Cadillac but not bad at all. I think it's form 1978.

I'd get a classic for a really good price, try craiglist for your local area, so you don't have to worry about shipping, and get a great cartridge.

Man I still have a Technics SL-1900 bought in 1977.Still spinning like a champ. Have changed cartridges a couple of times.No problems for 37 years and counting.

Posted by: kwf ()
Date: March 13, 2014 04:02

treaclefingers
kwf

I've never taken the plunge. I guess I have all the CD's already, and can't even imagine recording all the LPs to my turntable. That's 9 months of my life I need.

Beyond recording, is it that you're using your PC as your stereo? If so that makes sense but unless you're endowed with a fantastic sound card and speakers, you're missing the benefit of the vinyl.
My friend uses a regular TT for everyday listening. He also has an Ion TT. We have hooked up the USB to a computer for ripping purposes. We've only ripped titles that aren't available on CD. It is a little more cumbersome than ripping CDs but it's fun to do now and then...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-13 04:06 by kwf.

Date: March 13, 2014 05:59

kwf
treaclefingers
kwf

My friend uses a regular TT for everyday listening. He also has an Ion TT. We have hooked up the USB to a computer for ripping purposes. We've only ripped titles that aren't available on CD. It is a little more cumbersome than ripping CDs but it's fun to do now and then...

yeah I can see that being of benefit. I'm not sure I have any albums that aren't available on CD...I don't get out much!

Date: March 13, 2014 06:00

Jesse1960
treaclefingers

Man I still have a Technics SL-1900 bought in 1977.Still spinning like a champ. Have changed cartridges a couple of times.No problems for 37 years and counting.

Mine is a much more recent acquisition, but it's a tank!

Posted by: TornAndFried ()
Date: March 13, 2014 06:48

Regardless of what type of turntable you decide on be sure to invest in a high quality cartridge. The cartridge is as an important a component as your table is for good sound. I have a Grado Silver & Gold 2 which is a good middle of the road choice. Btw, a tube photo pre-amp is a great option as well for analog recordings. [www.needledoctor.com]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-13 07:36 by TornAndFried.

Date: March 13, 2014 06:50

TornAndFried
Regardless of what type of turntable you decide on be sure to invest in a high quality cartridge as well. The cartridge is an important a component as your table is for good sound. I use a

Well, go on, don't torture us!

.... OAK ?????

ROCKMAN

....blackwood ???

ROCKMAN

Date: March 13, 2014 06:51

...Baltic Pine ???

ROCKMAN

Date: March 14, 2014 17:20

This is the most affordable turntable considered to be " high -fidelity " :

* [www.project-audio.com] *

Pro-ject Audio Debut Carbon

Rega Research makes great turntables at various price points as well.

Date: March 14, 2014 17:21

Winning Ugly VXII
This is the most affordable turntable considered to be " high -fidelity " :

* [www.project-audio.com] *

Pro-ject Audio Debut Carbon

Rega Research makes great turntables at various price points as well.

They look damn cool too!

Posted by: spsimmons ()
Date: March 14, 2014 19:07

I too have the Technics SL-1200MK2 and absolutely love it. Got it from a radio station I use to work for.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1646
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home