Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...56789101112131415Next
Current Page: 11 of 15
Re: Shanghai China March 12 Rolling Stones 2014 show live updates
Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: March 13, 2014 07:12

Thanks so much for all the pics and reports of the gig. smileys with beer
One rehearsal show for lucky fans and 6 gigs played, and the Stones are really on fire from what I've been reading here.
Eight shows to go and I'm sure we gonna have some great gigs to look forward to. winking smiley

Posted by: roamermark ()
Date: March 13, 2014 08:09

I just found this little compilation video of last night's show on YouTube. Not very comprehensive - but will do until the full videos turn up.

video: [www.youtube.com]

Date: March 13, 2014 08:56

pmk251
StonesCat
They've decided to do a "Let's torture fans who want MT on stage with songs that he's great on" show.

smiling smiley Yeah, I especially hate to see DF go by without MT. Put Ronnie on pedal steel.

Ronnie played the B-bender. That's close enough.

Posted by: Pete66 ()
Date: March 13, 2014 09:03

Refreshing setlist, leaving 2 warhorses out. Next time skip JJ Flash and Miss you and play Let's Spend the Night Together and Hot Stuff instead! No one will mind.
Can't wait to see them in June in Europe!

Pete.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: March 13, 2014 09:21

Great that - after the twitter confusion - they actually played a 'normal' 19-song set, and on paper, compared to previous sets, it looks 'fantastic' by the standards we are used to. Reading enthusiastic reports (especially paulywaul's)and watching some clips confirms that the show was also great in flesh - the band seems to be on fire now. Despite two crucial songs were missing, no one seems to complain, and this seems to be true of the 'casual fans' as well. Is there a lesson there? The Stones can 'survive' and entertain their audiences without playing all of their signatures songs?

But one lesson for us 'laptop followers' is that never trust social media too much - especially twitter... grinning smiley

- Doxa

Posted by: StonedInTokyo ()
Date: March 13, 2014 09:44

Looks to me like The Rolling Stones rocked Shanghai. Great photos!

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: March 13, 2014 10:17

Another compilation - there are a few seconds of Tumbling Dice right at the end to clear any lingering doubts. Sounds as if our world travellers had a great show (who knew there were Stones fans in Kazakhstan?) The arena floor looks a bit thinly populated, as if maybe they didn't set out as many seats as there were room for, but the rest of the place is full and rocking.

PS: I keep forgetting to thank latvianinexile for the pictures. Beautiful.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-13 10:19 by Green Lady.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: March 13, 2014 11:48

Pete66
Refreshing setlist, leaving 2 warhorses out. Next time skip JJ Flash and Miss you and play Let's Spend the Night Together and Hot Stuff instead! No one will mind.

Pete.

Dropping two of the greatest crowd pleasers? Don't think that is a good idea. They will play both at every show until they call it the day.

Bjornulf

Posted by: lox ()
Date: March 13, 2014 12:15

latvianinexile
Some of my pics:

Great pictures, thank you!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-14 15:09 by bv.

Posted by: Screamer ()
Date: March 13, 2014 12:27

Posted by: bv ()
Date: March 13, 2014 13:04

buttons67
touchy people those chinese authorities, in not letting the stones sing brown sugar due to suggestive lyrics. we wouldnt want to offend them.

did the same chinese authorities say anything about their human rights record or the fact babies can be murdered for daring to be born to a mother who already has another child or just for not being a son.

see those things offend me.

I was going to delete this post, because it is seriously in violation with the IORR posting policy. Why? Because it is a political statement. It is the sort of "I am better than you" statement. And that is unacceptable on IORR. First of all because it is OFF TOPIC, not related to the set list or the performance. Secondly because it will made a big fight about human rights, and we are unable to solve those issues here.

But.. I am not a quitter ... and I have never chosen the easy solutions. Right now I am on my flight out of China, halfway to Singapore. I have free access to internet, I can use secure http which means I can do my work as normal, my work in encrypted. Like I have been working during my entire three days Shanghai stay. I have been two times to mainland China i.e. Shanghai over the past 8 years. Even if no place is perfect, I feel I have to stand up for China, as much I would do for any other friend or country that might be under attack from "besserwissers".

May be they were not allowed to play HTW and BS. So what? The TV networks put a time delay and a BEEEP on 2 out of 3 songs by the Stones during Superbowl. I was watching "12 years a slave" on one of my many flights. I was in pain. I have been on travel on all continents, and the more I travel, the more I undferstand that I don't know much about other people, the way of their life, where they are coming from, and where they are going. But I do learn one thing, more and more. Respect.

Please respect the fact that the Stones were actuaally invited to play in Shanghai, and they did a great show. If you want do discuss politics or save the world, please don't do it here!

Bjornulf

Date: March 13, 2014 13:20

Who was it that cencored LSTNT in the first place again? winking smiley

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: March 13, 2014 13:25

Love Mick's hat.

Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: March 13, 2014 13:38

bv
buttons67
touchy people those chinese authorities, in not letting the stones sing brown sugar due to suggestive lyrics. we wouldnt want to offend them.

did the same chinese authorities say anything about their human rights record or the fact babies can be murdered for daring to be born to a mother who already has another child or just for not being a son.

I was going to delete this post, because it is seriously in violation with the IORR posting policy. Why? Because it is a political statement. It is the sort of "I am better than you" statement. And that is unacceptable on IORR. First of all because it is OFF TOPIC, not related to the set list or the performance. Secondly because it will made a big fight about human rights, and we are unable to solve those issues here.

But.. I am not a quitter ... and I have never chosen the easy solutions. Right now I am on my flight out of China, halfway to Singapore. I have free access to internet, I can use secure http which means I can do my work as normal, my work in encrypted. Like I have been working during my entire three days Shanghai stay. I have been two times to mainland China i.e. Shanghai over the past 8 years. Even if no place is perfect, I feel I have to stand up for China, as much I would do for any other friend or country that might be under attack from "besserwissers".

May be they were not allowed to play HTW and BS. So what? The TV networks put a time delay and a BEEEP on 2 out of 3 songs by the Stones during Superbowl. I was watching "12 years a slave" on one of my many flights. I was in pain. I have been on travel on all continents, and the more I travel, the more I undferstand that I don't know much about other people, the way of their life, where they are coming from, and where they are going. But I do learn one thing, more and more. Respect.

Keep it real, we're adults.......You don't think a country picking a bands set list is a little overbearing, and petty?!?

When people don't speak, they don't act, and nothing changes.

Please respect the fact that the Stones were actuaally invited to play in Shanghai, and they did a great show. If you want do discuss politics or save the world, please don't do it here!

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: March 13, 2014 13:44

Here's another compilation:

Posted by: bonddm ()
Date: March 13, 2014 14:25

Were the lips reinstated to the staging in Shanghai?Certainly appears so in the videos.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: March 13, 2014 14:51

Here's a semi pro-shot footage from the Shanghai concert:

Date: March 13, 2014 15:15

Cristiano Radtke
Here's another compilation:

Lovely! thumbs up

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 13, 2014 15:28

Thrylan
bv
buttons67

Keep it real, we're adults.......You don't think a country picking a bands set list is a little overbearing, and petty?!?

When people don't speak, they don't act, and nothing changes.

I have to agree with BV, when I read the first post, it annoyed me. On the other hand, I'm glad he left it up because while borderline political, it was very much on topic, and I don't think we should be censoring this type of comment, even if it's annoying.

Posted by: KatieGirl ()
Date: March 13, 2014 15:45

Thrylan
bv
buttons67

When people don't speak, they don't act, and nothing changes. thumbs up

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: March 13, 2014 16:30

No Mick Taylor on "All Down The Line" and "Dead Flowers"? This is a deal breaker for me. Of course we cannot know in advance what will be played and with whom. But if I had this information in advance I would not attend. Mick and company are subjecting MT to cruel and unusual punishment by taking him along then excluding him from his most iconic Stones tunes. This is how I see it. I am sure that most of the stadium crowds could care less and this is why MT gets minimal time up on stage.

More and more I am thinking MT was given a million or two UK pounds to settle all past grievances and potential lawsuits. That he was told he gets paid the same no matter if he plays on one song or ten. That his role is to take the money and participate as you are told to. At least MT gets paid what is due but real Stones fans want to see him more, as the decades long Stones project winds down due to old age, arthritic fingers and hips, sore vocal cords, and general all around decline and decrepitude

Posted by: MarkSchneider ()
Date: March 13, 2014 16:36

This Midnight Rambler... extraterrestrial!
How did you find it Bjornulf? How was it live?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-13 17:00 by MarkSchneider.

Posted by: MarkSchneider ()
Date: March 13, 2014 16:57

Canceled

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-13 16:58 by MarkSchneider.

Date: March 13, 2014 17:02

triceratops
No Mick Taylor on "All Down The Line" and "Dead Flowers"? This is a deal breaker for me. Of course we cannot know in advance what will be played and with whom. But if I had this information in advance I would not attend. Mick and company are subjecting MT to cruel and unusual punishment by taking him along then excluding him from his most iconic Stones tunes. This is how I see it. I am sure that most of the stadium crowds could care less and this is why MT gets minimal time up on stage.

More and more I am thinking MT was given a million or two UK pounds to settle all past grievances and potential lawsuits. That he was told he gets paid the same no matter if he plays on one song or ten. That his role is to take the money and participate as you are told to. At least MT gets paid what is due but real Stones fans want to see him more, as the decades long Stones project winds down due to old age, arthritic fingers and hips, sore vocal cords, and general all around decline and decrepitude

That means that you wouldn't attend a regular Stones show?

Ronnie Wood is the band's guitarist, and if you think it through not all songs will become better with three guitars.

But they could play MR without Taylor, and put him on ADTL, BS and others. I really don't know why they don't mix it up more.

DF doesn't need Mick Taylor, imo.

Date: March 13, 2014 17:06

DandelionPowderman
triceratops

Ronnie Wood is the band's guitarist, and if you think it through not all songs will become better with three guitars.

But they could play MR without Taylor, and put him on ADTL, BS and others. I really don't know why they don't mix it up more.

You think DF is better without MT?

Date: March 13, 2014 17:10

treaclefingers
DandelionPowderman
triceratops

I like it better without constant soloing, like Taylor did on the Marquee. And I love Ronnie's bender smiling smiley

To me, DF is a great country song, not a guitar vehicle.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-13 17:10 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: March 13, 2014 17:42

pmk251
StonesCat
They've decided to do a "Let's torture fans who want MT on stage with songs that he's great on" show.

smiling smiley Yeah, I especially hate to see DF go by without MT. Put Ronnie on pedal steel.

Wake me up when MT is playing on another song than MR, SA and Satisfaction.

Date: March 13, 2014 18:09

DandelionPowderman
treaclefingers
DandelionPowderman
triceratops

I like it better without constant soloing, like Taylor did on the Marquee. And I love Ronnie's bender smiling smiley

To me, DF is a great country song, not a guitar vehicle.

I totally see your point. This is much more of a guitar vehicle:

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: March 13, 2014 18:21

kleermaker

Wake me up when MT is playing on another song than MR, SA and Satisfaction.

Pretty much my take with all due respect to Ronnie who is so tight, clean and effective this time around---playing his arse off and filling in for Keith when needed. Ronnie should have been like this years ago. I am giving 90% of the credit to Sally who reminded him who he really is and what talents he has. Got him out of that rut

Posted by: mnewman505 ()
Date: March 13, 2014 18:43

bv
Pete66

Pete.

Dropping two of the greatest crowd pleasers? Don't think that is a good idea. They will play both at every show until they call it the day.
BV, with all due respect, did you hear casual fans complain at shows on the No Security Tour or the Licks tour when they didn't play some of their major songs or played a more challenging set list? Set aside the club/theatre shows and you still have high priced tickets $300-$400+ US face value in arenas on those tours with much more interesting set lists, especially on Licks. Satisfaction wasn't played once the entire No Security tour if i'm not mistaken. I know you are sick of the set list complaining, i've been lurking and posting on here since I was a teenager, but I just don't agree that playing a few deeper cuts in favor of a couple major hits is going to disappoint that many casual fans as you continue to claim. I just don't buy that argument --- this isn't a Van Morrison or a Bob Dylan situation where their set lists and song variations leave casual fans confused and bewildered. People are paying to see the Stones and dropping in a different song here and there from night to night is not going to upset the casual fan that much. Does the casual high priced ticket fan want to hear songs they know? sure they do, but are they going to feel that cheated if they hear say 7 major hits instead of 9 major hits? I don't think so.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-13 18:52 by mnewman505.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...56789101112131415Next
Current Page: 11 of 15

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1735
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home