Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...56789101112131415Next
Current Page: 14 of 15
Re: Shanghai China March 12 Rolling Stones 2014 show live updates
Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: March 14, 2014 16:35

smokeydusky
kleermaker

I enjoyed hearing Taylor break out his 60s-feedback thing. With the Stones, this type of playing was usually limited to the end of some SFMs on the '72 tour.

What about the 1973 SFM's? The same kind of playing, totally going loose and bringing in a new exciting element.

Date: March 14, 2014 17:52

Gimme Shelter

[/video]

Posted by: 6s7s9s ()
Date: March 14, 2014 18:08

StrawberriesBlueberries
Listening to the performances of Dead Flowers, Ruby Tuesday and Street Fighting Man in a row is so great! Hope they realize, people loved it and take more chances like this in their future shows. To those, who attended, how was the audience reacting to this sequence? The videos seem to indicate, it was a success?

Keith's backing vocals on Dead Flowers and Ruby Tuesday are very nice. It seems, everybody enjoys playing with each other. Did you see the Mick-Keith moment after Dead Flowers, where Mick happily smiles at Keith and he smiles back?

And I enjoy the deep voiced Mick Jagger parts in Dead Flowers. Somehow it'S so unusual to hear him sing in this range for longer parts, because he doesn't do it very often, but he's good at it and I like it. His voice gets a very warm sound this way.

Yes, I noticed that about Mick singing in a low voice during Dead Flowers. Made me think of Johnny Cash.

Date: March 14, 2014 18:19

Miss You[video)

Date: March 14, 2014 18:20

Miss You

[video]

Date: March 14, 2014 18:34

Start Me Up

[/video]

Date: March 14, 2014 18:35

Tumbling Dice

[/video]

Date: March 14, 2014 18:38

Ruby Tuesday (Beginn missing)

[/video]

Date: March 14, 2014 18:40

All Down The Line (Beginn missing)

[video]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-14 18:41 by jumpingjackflash68.

Date: March 14, 2014 18:43

Paint It Black & Gimme Shelter (Both Incomplete)

[/video]

Posted by: Captainchaos ()
Date: March 14, 2014 21:34

Re midnight rambler, anyone gonna mention ronnie woods out of tune guitar lead on the end pickup? na though not

kinda think he shat his pants after hearin some fantastic MT and thought yeah i can raise my game and match him, here goes, o shit my left hand has gone to the wrong fret, wow my right hand is actin like a 12 ear olds on seein his first jazz mag in private. the 2 combined aint pretty ha ha - he pulls it out of the bag eventually but hey ho, good effort for tryin to play outside the norm and take the fight to MT.

Overall, that section is still kinda shambolic in terms of the band ALL pickin up the rytham change at the same time, when it comes off its mega, when it doesnt its tentative initially.

great gig goin off the vids, the band soundin strong overall

Date: March 14, 2014 21:35

Street Fighting Man (Another Version)

[/video]

Date: March 14, 2014 21:48

Ruby Tuesday (Incomplete)

[/video]

Posted by: Niek ()
Date: March 14, 2014 22:17

Ruby Tuesday is also very beautiful (and Mick doesn't look back there ;-))

(Always took candy from strangers)

Date: March 14, 2014 22:29

Dead Flowers (Third Version)

[/video]

Posted by: mandu ()
Date: March 15, 2014 01:15

I love all down the line

Feel The Fear
And Do It Anyway

Posted by: Stoneburst ()
Date: March 15, 2014 02:37

Captainchaos
Re midnight rambler, anyone gonna mention ronnie woods out of tune guitar lead on the end pickup? na though not

Nah, he's in the form of his life, remember (i.e. he goes on stage sober and pulls off some very basic guitar licks by the skin of his teeth, usually in the correct key if not really in time with the music)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-15 02:38 by Stoneburst.

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: March 15, 2014 02:57

is there theodora richards? in the gs clip with red plastic cup and a red flower? in the pit at arounf 3:49 you can see her in between mick and lisa

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: March 15, 2014 02:59

It's clear by watching Jagger in these videos that this is currently the version of the Rolling Stones that Mick has been longing to perform with for a very long time. Everyone has raised their game considerably and the energy is very contagious between each member. Jagger is singing and performing these songs with a care and attention that I haven't seen in a long while--the effects of that creates an obvious kinetic reaction between all the members. I've always said that I wouldn't care if they played these tired warhorses only if they played them with respect--I never thought the day would come.

Posted by: mandu ()
Date: March 15, 2014 04:04

Mick Jagger is amazing,who would think he was 70 years old.I watched him dance on midnight rambler and he just goes off.he blew me away

Feel The Fear
And Do It Anyway

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: March 15, 2014 04:22

maumau
is there theodora richards? in the gs clip with red plastic cup and a red flower? in the pit at arounf 3:49 you can see her in between mick and lisa

There was indeed. She came on just as her dad finished Slipping Away, sang her way through Happy, and stayed for a few more songs - occasionally turning around to offer popcorn out of that red tub she was holding to people on the rail behind her, and also handing out a few of her dad's guitar picks. Nice to see.

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: bv ()
Date: March 15, 2014 05:29

There is a separate thread dedicated to Shanghai Videos: [www.iorr.org]

I am unable to move posts from here to the video thread, but please edit your video post in this live comments thread ("Edit Post"), post it in the Video thread, then remove the video bit here (just leave the post empty, or just write "video moved"), then it will be easier to read this thread.

Thank you!

Bjornulf

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: March 15, 2014 05:51

Chuck has changed his game a little. Perhaps as the band tightens he feels he can get loose, I heard some great stuff from him on DF, where he really found a place inside the guitar mix, he and Keith really vibe on RT.. Keith has re-invented his style and now seems to be exploring arpeggeated power chords,seems purposeful and I'm intrigued, he's become the slowest hand but Charlie's got his back... Ronnie gets lost in the sauce, the better the band gets the more he needs to step up his parts and get some lead guitar tone, play something a tad spontaneous. True that on MR ending, the redundant throwaway solo in DF, the same loop part over and over for JJF and the slide butchery of ADTL.. If Taylor were dead he'd be spinning. The single worst guitar part played in this band is Wood's nonsense on Happy. I've seen Ronnie do some great stuff in my life and wish he'd lift the band from time to time. I've written before, much of the Taylorites craze is due to Wood being unspectacular half of the time. I still think he was a smart choice in 1975 but now in 2014 people expect allot from someone in his role.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-15 05:53 by DoomandGloom.

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: March 15, 2014 06:25

DoomandGloom, maybe your description about Ronnie does suit to many of his performances on the the european leg of Licks Tour, for example. But i thnik your comments are extremely unfair as for Ronnie's playing in the last years...

Posted by: SWAYZ ()
Date: March 15, 2014 06:36

Twice during Gimme Shelter Mick tries to get around the fat chick, and she bumps him with her enormous belly! Who is that fat chick?? Did she swallow Lisa Fisher?! SFM and Rambler rocked!

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: March 15, 2014 12:08

She swallowed lisa who had swallowed a sheep the night before...

Posted by: johnh ()
Date: March 15, 2014 14:37

Hi , which song was Mick playing this tele on? Doom and Gloom?

Date: March 15, 2014 18:43

laertisflash
DoomandGloom, maybe your description about Ronnie does suit to many of his performances on the the european leg of Licks Tour, for example. But i thnik your comments are extremely unfair as for Ronnie's playing in the last years...
It is painful for me to write such a critique but I do believe I am more right than wrong. While his accuracy has increased his ability to be spontaneous has not. This music is based on action and reaction, when Ronnie is in the pit saving the band from a mess up he's at his glory but when things are rocking hard he tends to slip behind not adding the element to keep it from a "Vegas" show.. Witness Taylor's feedback jamming, not Vegas but genuine improvisation. Of course we gratefully have Bobby Keys to save the day, after all this band is nothing without Tim and Bobby who are truly soulful.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: March 15, 2014 19:42

DoomandGloom
laertisflash
It is painful for me to write such a critique but I do believe I am more right than wrong. While his accuracy has increased his ability to be spontaneous has not. This music is based on action and reaction, when Ronnie is in the pit saving the band from a mess up he's at his glory but when things are rocking hard he tends to slip behind not adding the element to keep it from a "Vegas" show.. Witness Taylor's feedback jamming, not Vegas but genuine improvisation. Of course we gratefully have Bobby Keys to save the day, after all this band is nothing without Tim and Bobby who are truly soulful.

That's a hard and deadly judgement.

Date: March 15, 2014 20:16

kleermaker
DoomandGloom
laertisflash

That's a hard and deadly judgement.
Not really deadly but some of the best onstage stuff is played by Tim Ries, easy to take for granted but his B-3 playing is inspired, soprano sax on RT played with confidence and reverence. He and Bobby turn 2 horns into a giant section. Bobby is of course the heart and soul of Exile era Stones, perhaps more a part of that sound than even MT or Nicky Hopkins. Ron Wood is not a soloist like these players, he's more of a second rhythm guitarist which has come in handy as we know. A stylish gentleman, great Rolling Stone, playing million dollar guitars he is blessed. He learned to play harmonica for his own tour, why can't he bring it on as this band begins to jell?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-15 20:21 by DoomandGloom.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...56789101112131415Next
Current Page: 14 of 15

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1888
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home