Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
This is all wrong.
Posted by: monkey man ()
Date: May 16, 2005 07:37

I cannot wait for the new album - that's normal.

Before now I could not wait for a new tour. Also normal.

$30 give or take for a new album - that's normal.

Paying all the money I am willing to pay - plus that again - and then some more just to see them live - this is not only abnormal but just plain wrong.

Let's look at what we (or rather you) will be paying obnoxious amounts of money to see:

A great performer that will more than likely continue performing and singing within himself to save himself - presumably for the next show.

A guitarist whose playing over the last few years in degenerating due to arthritis and bashing his brain with pollutants - and worse someone that is ready to except mediocrity with regard to playing, so showboating and generally living off his own legend can stand in the way of playing well.

A drunk that plays too little these days to be any worthwhile contribution.

A bunch of back up musicians nobody in general is interested in.

Setlists that will basically mirror the previous tours from 1989.

Mixers who at times seem to have lost the ability to hear.

D Jones - a hard worker and talented addition to the band's core.

And Charlie. Now he is worth paying good money to see.

If this group cost $80 bucks (or something equivolent to whatever you consider is a fair price in your country) it would be worth every cent.

But they don't.
And what they do charge is disgusting.

Are Mick and Keith planning to be buried in the pyramids of Giza whereby they can stash all their cash and take it onto the next life with them or something?

How could they possibly accept that they (or anyone for that matter) is worth the sorts of ticket prices that they are charging?

Many here will shoot me down for the above I'm sure.

But I mean just for a moment,consider what the money being shelled out is and then honestly answer yourself as to whether it is really worth the amount your are paying.

I would dearly love to see them one last time, but it's an expensive insult to pay for.

kyle m

Have you ever lent somebody $20 and never seen them again? It was probably worth it.

Re: This is all wrong.
Posted by: shattered ()
Date: May 16, 2005 08:22

Oh Kyle; I read this one line at a time and then found it was your name. All I can say is you just met YOUR limit.

Last tour was alot eh? Now it is another one.

This last (almost) week I've had my ups and dowms. I don't have tickets yet but a plan and a limit.

As far as the band and members, I really feel that it is out of their control really. This is one machine you don't want to mess with. Just walk away if you are finished with them. This afternoon I thought that they really don't have any competition, they are making a trail - history - and will as any humans make mistakes.

The RS fan club is treating the members better this year. All for now.....fred

Posted by: RankOutsider ()
Date: May 16, 2005 08:46

You know what Kyle, the fact is that they are still a GREAT rock 'n' roll band and if you don't want to see them for WHATEVER reason that is fine, but, don't come to a "fan club" website to post your crap. Start a blog somewhere.

I ain't stupid, I'm just guitarded.

Posted by: Esky ()
Date: May 16, 2005 08:57

I agree with Kyle!

The problem with this Tour is that it comes on top of the Licks Tour which denegrated into a farce in the end.

What will this Tour bring to us that we didn't see a year and a half ago?

It might have a few new songs but the rest will be totally the same as the Licks Tour. We will see the same "warhorses" but the band will be older, slower, drunker, sloppier etc....

There will be more posing, more silly cameras on guitars, more props, and higher ticket prices.

Is this worth paying even MORE money this time around?

And what about those costs for getting a seat on the stage?? This tells me that The Stones are now more interested in making money out of us....and we are the suckers.

Esky

Re: The Rolling Stones
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: May 16, 2005 09:08

where have you seen any prices listed for the onstage seats?
just curious.

"What do you want - what?!"
- Keith

Date: May 16, 2005 09:09

You know what Esky, it's very simple DON"T GO SEE THEM! And find a board for people who DON'T like THE STONES. This is a FAN CLUB board, can you read that? Not a blog for people who don't really like the band to get their "Rocks Off' by degrading them. Is that simple enough?

Date: May 16, 2005 09:19

Rank it would serve you well to keep your temper in check lad and watch how you address people. I'll post where and when the ph uck I please. This was not a personal attack on you so pull your head in mate.

They are not still a great rock and roll band.
They are a money machine that put on a really good show - but had you bothered to stick to the point instead of chucking a hissy fit you would have seen my point was they are not - and nobody is - worth the bloody money they're charging.

Shattered

You are definately correct in that I have met my limit. Well certainly with my tolerance level for being screwed by my all time favourite group.
I hope the shows rock for you and that you score some you beaut seats for a decent price.
Good luck!

ps - sorry about the 'one line' thing, wrote it in Word and it pasted like that. Just couldn't be bothered editing it.

yawning smiley)

My mate Esky sums it all up:

"What will this Tour bring to us that we didn't see a year and a half ago?

It might have a few new songs but the rest will be totally the same as the Licks Tour. We will see the same "warhorses" but the band will be older, slower, drunker, sloppier etc....

There will be more posing, more silly cameras on guitars, more props, and higher ticket prices."

kyle m

Have you ever lent somebody $20 and never seen them again? It was probably worth it.

Date: May 16, 2005 09:24

At what bloody point did you assume either Esky or myself aren't Stones fans?
Both he and myself are huge fans, doesn't mean we do not have critisms of them.
Being blinded by pure fanatic adulation is bloody purile.

This is a place to discuss the Stones - all areas of them - likes and dislike etc, not just to bloody blow sunshine up their respective arses.

What seems to be 'simple enough' is your childish outlook with regard to following the career of this or any rock band.
Moreover it is sad.

Grow up.

kyle m

Posted by: Esky ()
Date: May 16, 2005 09:44

You know what Rank, I don't think I have much choice - I doubt they are coming to Australia so I won't be able to see them anyway (unless I pay $2000 airfare plus another $500 to see them, plus accommodation etc...).

The irony is, the band will make a sh*tload of cash from the Tour yet probably think it's not economically viable to Tour Australasia.......

Enough said.

Esky

Date: May 16, 2005 09:47

monkey man wrote: At what bloody point did you assume either Esky or myself aren't Stones fans?

I read your posts. I think they speak well for your degree of appreciation for this band. Nothing personal, just simple observation mate.

Posted by: LISMM63 ()
Date: May 16, 2005 10:03

Shattered wrote:
"As far as the band and members, I really feel that it is out of their control really."

I have already emailed several notes telling the Stones what I thought of this "fiasco," I hope they read them.

It's ridiculous, not srprising tho that the STONES shows are turning into a VIP event, all the shows now, it seems, of course, it has been heading this way for a while now.

I have a plan too, but only the STONES know it, I'm keeping them on their toes, even now, before the Tour starts, "I see you, but you won't see me." winking smiley

"Fuc the Rock babe, I want the Roll." (KR)

Date: May 16, 2005 10:03

Then your observations are flawed.

Perhaps if your judgement wasn't clouded by emotions of personally being offended by anyone saying anything negative about the Stones things might be different. Not to mention far less childlike.

kyle m

Posted by: bombayturner ()
Date: May 16, 2005 11:05

Kyle, will we meet in Singapore 2006?

Posted by: coc59100 ()
Date: May 16, 2005 12:07

Monkey Man, YOU ARE SO RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Finally somebody else has the guts to speak up about this big money-machine.
What happened to the hard working people, the salt of the earth?

coc59100

Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: May 16, 2005 12:11

Monkey man i have the same problem with the money. My other problem is that i live in Holland and they will do an average of say six shows here plus Paris is just three and a half hours away, England is only one hour and Germany is also very close. So it is going to be hard to control myself beacuse there are to many shows to attend but unfortunately not enough money from me.

Cheers,
Wuudy

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: May 16, 2005 12:21

It's not that anyone here dosent love this band.

Its the cost of going to see them

The prices for sitting half way up a stadium looking at a video screen are simply OUTRAGOUS .

Can anyone here seriously justify that ?

OR the "fan club" ,which is simply the highest booking fee in history.

I have blindly defended The Stones for 25 years and worried that they are not the top dogs anymore,but this latest OUTRAGE has pushed me over the edge.

I hope the US tour bombs ! (I can't beleive I said that)

THE GREEDIEST R N R BAND IN THE WORLD............I think so.

Posted by: FAH3 ()
Date: May 16, 2005 13:39

As I was reading this I was thinking I probably read almost the same exact posts three years ago at this time when the Licks Tour was announced. The only difference in the complaining then was there wasn't going to be a new album and people were outraged over that.

Are any of you who are so indigant over the ticket prices surprised by them? Going in I knew they were going to be more expensive so I didn't delude myself into thinking something else. My reaction to it is simply cutting the number of shows I go to. There's no reason to have to go 10 shows, or sit as close as possible.

I don't feel the Stones owe me anything. For over 40 years they have given me great music so to think they owe me this or that would make me an egotist or just flat out stupid.

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: May 16, 2005 13:59

400 to see them in DC in Oct 05 - Muted rhythm guitars and flat notes.
Charlie is great but he needs to do what wyman did and play jazz and blues.
Mick will always be into himself and always try to look 25.

Now where is LAG.

Posted by: Limbostone ()
Date: May 16, 2005 14:35

This time, for reasons of growing older and its obligatory expenses, I'll have less money to spend than last time when I was just out of collage living in a dump and driving a shithole of a car, and therefore I won't (be able to) spend any more.

The show being exactly the same et cetera doesn't really bother me considered the fact that what I like most is the atmosphere. Therefore I'll be more than happy with a stadium ticket and will, contrary to last time, leave the arenas to what they are. In arenas I'm NOT happy with a repetition of last tour and unless report say it's gonna be different, I can't explain to myself why I would be interested (cost-benefit analysis) and therefore I won't go.Regarding clubs, the chances are too low so that I probably won't risk the stress involved in chasing tix.

Expenses last time:

2 tix arena €110 x 2 = €220
2 tix stadium FOS €95 x 2 = €190
transport approx. €150
hotel approx. €90

total
€650

For some of you this is peanuts regarding the Stones, and for me it was then, but I wouldn't know whence to get that kind of money now (you also have to have a regular holiday with the gf right?), unless things will change by December when the European tix will probably go on sale. I mean, there's always some savings on the bank account but I won't touch them for a repetition of two years ago, which I expect from an arena. So, probably, just one or two stadiums where I want warhorses as well. Kyle has a point there I think.

P.S. The love of the Stones can't be discribed in the money you're willing to spend. If you, in blind naive stupid fanatic love, spend everything you have, you're exactly what the Rolling Stones Inc. wants you to be: a consumerist moron.
What crap telling people that they don't love the Stones if they're not willing to spend, or if you critisize Keith. I critisize my gf if she don't perform. Out of love winking smiley.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: May 16, 2005 14:53

Kyle, stealing my posts aren't you -smiling smiley

I have posted several messages with exactly your thoughts -what do the Stones have to offer us these days? We've seen it all...

The last trend in the US actually is a decrease in ticket prices. Sprinsteen, McCartney and U2 were all lowering the ticket prices. But, it seems the Stones aren't up to that.

What the eventual price will be we'll have to see. They have done this before: first release a limited amount of tickets for premium prices. When they are sold, or when the market stall, release a second batch of tickets for a lower price. I remember in 1999 in Cleveland I was sitting next to people who paid $250 in pre-sales, and on the other side people were sitting who just bought tickets for $60 at the cash box. It's just like an airplane...

But me, I will skip all stadium and arena shows. If I go to see them, it will only be club gigs, unless I plan some kind of city trip, e.g. a nice week-end in London with a bonus of the Stones at Wembley Arena. No more awfull stadium shows.

Mathijs

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: May 16, 2005 15:09

Either 'just say no'or don't bloomin go'....

Posted by: Stikkyfinger ()
Date: May 16, 2005 15:09

monkey man Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> >
> Are Mick and Keith planning to be buried in the
> pyramids of Giza whereby they can stash all their
> cash and take it onto the next life with them or
> something?
>
>
Now THATS funny....!!!!

How did you know that?smiling smiley

And Keith will have the 'cats' buried with him ....?..smiling smiley

Regards,

Ian.

Rolling Stones Tribute

Play Rolling Stones

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: May 16, 2005 15:11

RankOutsider Wrote:
> You know what Esky, it's very simple DON"T GO SEE
> THEM! And find a board for people who DON'T like
> THE STONES. This is a FAN CLUB board, can you read
> that? Not a blog for people who don't really like
> the band to get their "Rocks Off' by degrading
> them. Is that simple enough?
>
> It's real simple and real stupid. Ever hear of a love-hate relationship? I think it's possible to love the Stones deeply and still bitch about them in a constructive way. Shit man, what if everyone thought the way you do? I think the president of the United States thinks that way. Gas too expensive? Don't drive! Groceries cost too much? Don't eat! Can't afford to see a doctor? Don't get sick! No way to pay for a funeral? Dig yourself a hole!

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: May 16, 2005 15:12

Kyle F'n M....the Monkey F'n MAN.....All I know wanna know is.....where the F have you been?!!??

I agree on all fronts....ticket prices are shameful....

Which is why I think Mathijs has the right idea....either just try to see the clubs....or go somewhere COOL and attach a Stadium/Arena show into your trip...

I'm still gonna catch the DC & Charlottesville, VA shows in that I have friends who have never see the Stones, and the venues are close....$65 tix is "fair enough" I suppose....seeing as I spend $65 on lots less worthwhile crap....

Take Mathijs' advice...go on a trip somewhere you've never been, get some tix, spend a week or two, see a show, have a blast....

I recommend the "nose-bleed" seats up w/ the people....$60 is fair, even though you'll be a mile away....

either way....MonkeyF'nMan Kyle....I got your Charlottesville, Virginia and/or DC tix covered if you want to indulge in the joyous 20+ hours of airplane rides...aren't you in Perth?

Here's what I figure....Perth to Sydney (6 hours??)...Sydney to L.A (14 hours).....L.A. to DC (6 hours)....GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD times.....looks like about 26 hours on planes...well worth it.....

Anybody looking to "Tailgate" in Charlottesville or DC, lemme know...I'll try to save you a few bong hits....

Posted by: Debra ()
Date: May 16, 2005 15:19

Well I have to toss my 3 cents in here! I tried to refrain, but I can't! FAH, it IS different than the LICKS TOUR because the damn face value on GOLDEN CIRCLE seats start over $100 MORE!!!!!I don't happen to be a millionaire and like Monkey Man and Kyle, I am totally disgusted with the ticket prices, to the point where after the Fenway gigs, I am not sure I will bother to travel all over, like I ALWAYS DO! I spent Friday night not sleeping because I was worried about getting tickets to Fenway; Saturday my day was a total loss because I found a single seat in Sec. B that is 15 rows back! 15 rows back plus the 24 rows behind the A sec and I am at least 39 rows back! I paid $489!!!! After the thrill of finding the ticket wore off, and that took about one hour, I spent the remainder of the day walking around in a stupor, totally shocked and sickened at what I just put out for a crappy seat! And although I would never bash the Stones ( except Keith on occasion) I can see where Monkey Man and Kyle are coming from in terms of seeing basicly the SAME MATERIAL every night! Unless you're blessed to see a theater show, you do get the basic war horses every night. I am confused and very angry and not really sure how to proceed. I think I'll wait it out as someone suggested and if I decide to go to a show, buy a ticket very late and pray it's a good one for less money. It certainly does seem it IS about the $$$, even though Keith denied it!

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: May 16, 2005 15:30

Debra....I'm pretty sure Kyle and Monkey Man are the same person...unless it is ME who's szitzophrenic (spell)...

my advice to you is this....I ALWAYS feel as you do whenever I shell out an astronomical amount of money for something....that is...intial "rush" of pleasure that wears off soon thereafter followed by a flood of self-doubt about what I have done....

I felt the SAME WAY after shelling out tons of loot to fly to Europe and go to various "Licks" concerts...

in the end....wait until SHOW TIME or directly thereafter and THEN see how you feel....eventually the doubt/self-questioning of "why did I piss that money away?
wears off and you are usually left w/ a pretty sweet memory....

unless you literally put off paying your bills or other "necessities" I always remind myself...."am I REALLY going to give one flying f*ck about $XXX 6 months from now??"

It's the 6-month rule....EVERYTHING in your life should always be evaluated in terms of "how much is this REALLY going to mean to me in 6 months?"...

It's a good system....

enjoy Fenway....it'll rock....

BTW...it IS about the money....floor seats wouldn't be $450 if it wasn't....

Posted by: rknuth ()
Date: May 16, 2005 15:50

Total agreement!!

To all others: Fans == Lemmings ?? or "come on boys, milk us!"

Angry!

Posted by: FAH3 ()
Date: May 16, 2005 19:30

Debra: People were bitching at the Licks Tour with the price versus previous tours. That is never going to stop and the crux of my post is that nobody should have been surprised when they were more expensive.

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: May 16, 2005 20:01

Kyle me old son, I can think of nothing to add to your always lucid commenatry accept to say that I am a huge fan of this band and I agree with you completely!

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: May 16, 2005 20:36

FAH3 Wrote:
> Debra: People were bitching at the Licks Tour
> with the price versus previous tours. That is
> never going to stop and the crux of my post is
> that nobody should have been surprised when they
> were more expensive.
>

McCartney tickets are the same price in '05 that they were in '02. Too high, but at least they didn't go any higher. Stones could have pleasantly surprised us in the same way, but it's obvious they just want to play for the fleeting amusement of high rollers who are familiar only with the 7 or 8 Stones songs they hear all the time on the radio and for whom the band may have some vague association with glamourous "decadence."

And they're going to play every one of those 7 or 8 songs. They have to. Otherwise the high rollers won't recognize one damn thing!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-05-16 20:39 by tatters.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1819
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home