Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: This is all wrong.
Posted by: T&A ()
Date: May 16, 2005 22:17

what is it that you folks expect the Stones to do - make less money than they can? Is that what you do at your work place? The Stones are doing the same thing anyone would do (and do do) in their position. They've ALWAYS done that - everyone does it. It's call free-enterprise capitalism. Hello....

Posted by: oldkr ()
Date: May 16, 2005 22:24

your freudian slip said it all 'except mediocrity'

BECAUSE IM OLDKR

Posted by: jostorm ()
Date: May 16, 2005 22:31

"It seems the lady does protest too much...."

The one thing that I find not amusing at all is : how ON EARTH does someone accumulate a debt of $12500 only from seing the Stones at the last tour and still owe it three years later?
What is it about people nowadays having to live so totally beyond their means????? Can noone count anymore?
Do they want to slave away all their lives only making a small scratch on the percentage of debt and still owe the whole sum??????To me that is the definition of being a stupid slave to your bank !

To me personally it's a simple question of;
How much money do you make in a year? When you have deducted your "running costs" how much money have you got left over to "play" with???
What do you define as the ultimate pleasure you can buy with this money?
So, just figure out which shows you can afford and then go.

And please don't stop moaning, it makes my day!

KyleM: nice metaphor, but perhaps between Mick and Keith they have many more children and ex-wives to feed than the great Pharaoh Khufhu, (who rests at Giza), and I bet Khufu's wife didn't have expensive shopping habits or expect to swan from one Four Seasons to the next all year round.....

To be quite honest, I'm much more anxious about the quality of the shows than about their pricetags. I can only HOPE that for Keith and Ron the fact that Charlie is alive and well, has successfully beaten cancer and is playing on his drumkit every night in his professional manner will make them PULL THEIR @#$%& SOCKS UP THIS TIME AROUND!!!! If they don't, I think the sad remains of my respect for them will be straight down the drain....

Amen

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: May 16, 2005 22:41

"I can only HOPE that for Keith and Ron the fact that Charlie is alive and well, has successfully beaten cancer and is playing on his drumkit every night in his professional manner will make them PULL THEIR @#$%& SOCKS UP THIS TIME AROUND!!!! If they don't, I think the sad remains of my respect for them will be straight down the drain.... "
On Charlie, besides from the fact the small spirited- hot shot-journalists at the PC didnt dedicate any aimed question to him, I think his achievement on the mini-concert was maybe the most impressing: which do say a lot, because they all (well, maybe not Ronnie all the time) were more than full-loaded. He f*cking killed the drumskins.

Posted by: Milo Yammbag ()
Date: May 17, 2005 09:53

Music is corporate. Of course the band is involved but the promotersare the ones that do marketing research (yes they really do !) to see what people are willing to pay, especially with the Stones fan base spanning several generations, many of the fans DO have the money to spend and ARE WILLING to spend it. Supply and demand, it's music, but the business part cannot be ignored.

As far as cracking on the band and what is going to be so different than 2 years ago. I guess the Stones are the only band that plays their hits. Its a shame that a band can hit the stage and play 20 to 27 of the greatest rock songs ever made, what a bummer! Too bad the Stones don't take a cue from let's say, U2 or Springsteen, get all serious and political and then play their shitty political rhetoric. Its a shame that the Stones let you see that they are enjoying themselves, having fun and letting you forget about the real world for a bit.

Really expensive tickets ? Yea, thats wrong in my book too. The band putting on a great show ? You can bet on it.

Musically, there are too many people here that just wanna bash them and make it seem like they can't play anymore.......what a load of crap. Nothing in life is perfect, people make mistakes at their job everyday.....some mistakes that can effect people in very serious ways. So Keith prangs a note, Mick can't hit a note the way he used to, Ronnie has good nights and bad nights. How terrible they are for not being perfect. When you @#$%& up at your job, maybe it's in front of a few people, when they @#$%& up it's in front of 60, 70 thousand people. If so many people are so disgusted and think they suck now, stay in your house, play the albums, watch only shows that don't go past 1981 and stop bitching, or go hear Bono cry about whales and crickets or listen to Sprinsteen run his mouth like he is someone who understands the guy who swings a sledge hammer all day for a living. They are hypocritical bullshitters who believe their own press and forgot the purpose of rock n roll........fun.

Milo, NYC
Oh no, not you again

Posted by: monkey man ()
Date: May 17, 2005 10:09

Bombay alas friend no Singapore this time me lad.

So it would seem I'm obviously not alone in thinking the Stones are charging obnoxious prices.

Mathijs I will steal your guitars but not your posts. yawning smiley)
Yes mate we are in agreement. I'd love to see them anywhere but screw these prices and the @#$%& arrogance of it.
They aren't that good.

Limbo, Limbo, Limbo – I have missed kicking up the dust with you and the great Stickfingers101 – you two are trouble making bastards that deserve to be imprisoned for having non recognisable strands of dna – but that’s probably the reason the two of you make me piss myself laughing so often and think you’re excellent little chappies to play with.
And Sticky mate I may be in DC anyway in midish June – I’ll keep you posted.

Ian I used the Egyptian metaphor as I have a keen interest in history and assumed that the Giza thing was History 101 and most would probably get what I was getting at.
Glad you had a giggle. yawning smiley)

San Fran Man am emailing you matee. Love the Keith Honeymoon tapes. Jury's still out on the Live Aid gear. hahaha. Man like a cheesegrater to my ears listening to Bob, Keith or Ronnie sing sometimes. hahaha.

T&A ma man I generally have a great deal of respect for your posts but you may however want to check yourself at the door re some of your statements.
Stones money is not the kind of money any of us here make. So the comparison or rather question of “is that what you do at your workplace?” is like comparing a moon rock with a toasted marshmellow. And as for..

“everyone does it. It's call free-enterprise capitalism. Hello....”

You might like to consult with the enormous amount of people in the world that are not capitalists, or even those that live in a capitalists societies that have no interest in monetary gain.
There are some among you that have no such interest in such things.
But beware as they look just like you and me and can sneak up on you at any time.
Especially the Dalai Lama. That guy’s a sneaky little bastard.

And finally Ablett my furry little friend I’m not distinguishing between the two of your rather elegant points as I will be adhering to both of them respectively re “Either 'just say no'or don't bloomin go'....”.

Thanks for helping me out there.
I was in a real spot.

kyle m

Have you ever lent somebody $20 and never seen them again? It was probably worth it.

Posted by: lodge ()
Date: May 17, 2005 10:28

I agree with all of you. But don't tell me that you do not work for money. And if you can get more you grap it just like the Stones do. I am sure there will be much cheaper tickets available on the day. But when you travel over the Atlantic you want to be sure that you have a ticket in hand. The worst thing about it is that they still allow 2nd ticket offices to purchase tickets and then sell them or reserve them for prices you will never every pay anyway.
I am surprised anyway that they tour again. I thought they would make like a 20 city hop and then again a 20 city hop somehwere.
So far Club gigs are not announced and I have the slight feeling that this is for members only and you must be lucky.

Posted by: jss ()
Date: May 17, 2005 12:08

kyle/monkeyman are the same person? hummmmm....

i won't be going to the rolling stones revue this time...at least for now, i generally get pissed,like everyone else about the ticket prices. alot of decent acts are charging lower prices...tom petty and the black crowes for $65.oo? i think that's a good price for two very good bands...then i'll start reading the set lists and reviews and get the sweats and hope to hell that they will play boston a second time around...

but for now, i will just sit back with strong coffee, cigarettes, and my copies
of sticky and some girls while all you people that got tix will rant and rave about prices or have panic attacks because you just spent this months car payment
on a group of geriatric rock and roll flame outs...hope you all enjoy start me up and brown sugar....

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: May 17, 2005 12:25

RankOutsider Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You know what Esky, it's very simple DON"T GO SEE
> THEM! And find a board for people who DON'T like
> THE STONES. This is a FAN CLUB board, can you read
> that? Not a blog for people who don't really like
> the band to get their "Rocks Off' by degrading
> them. Is that simple enough?

utter nonsense

its a fan site - not a cheerleader site or a sychophants' forum. How boring this or any site would be if it as full of people like that.

the only people being degraded is loyal fans who are being asked to pay a week's wages or more for half decent seats for a bloody concert. Compared to some fan feeling that the shows are overpriced thats quite a difference.

the main reason why these tickets are so expensive is because there are so many people with more money than sense or taste and who, when the Stones say "jump" can only come back with "sure - how high do you want?

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 17, 2005 12:52

You know, it's quite simple formula we are dealing here.

When the quality of what can be offered is decreasing all the time while the price of the product is increasing all the time, there comes the day when any person with any judgment left is forced to make a solution not easy one.

After that the question is are you fan enough or rich enough to 'follow' this band. Or fool enough?

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-05-17 12:53 by Doxa.

Date: May 17, 2005 13:13

Doxa Wrote:
> You know, it's quite simple formula we are dealing
> here.
>
> When the quality of what can be offered is
> decreasing all the time while the price of the
> product is increasing all the time, there comes
> the day when any person with any judgment left is
> forced to make a solution not easy one.
>
> After that the question is are you fan enough or
> rich enough to 'follow' this band. Or fool enough?

Good point

I think the shows are still usually very good, but I dont think theyve been value for money since 1999 even if I enjoy them as much as I always did.

Put me in the "fool enough" category, but each tour I'm hoping to escape from that box!

Posted by: Rank Outsider ()
Date: May 17, 2005 13:42

I don't think die hard fans like us are the ones the Stones are aiming for. Almost every one on this board has seen them on many occasions. They know a lot of fans will pay these ridiculous ticket prices anyway.
The point is that the older they get, the chance of seeing them alive will diminish every month (or day). There are millions of people that have never seen them ... and they are willing to pay big money to see 'the greatest rock 'n' roll band in the world before it's too late. For the general fan the Stones still are one of the best live. They probably still are, but we know it's not like it used to be.

Monkey Man and Limbo, both of you made my day!!! I literally almost pissed my pants.

Posted by: Limbostone ()
Date: May 17, 2005 13:47

Are you THE rank outsider (the Zuthpen mangoman)? There seem to be two Rankoutsiders around these days, differing just a space.

Posted by: Rank Outsider ()
Date: May 17, 2005 13:48

Limbo, this is Rank... We've pissed our pants together lots of times! haha

Ps: the Deventer mango man!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-05-17 13:49 by Rank Outsider.

Posted by: RankOutsider ()
Date: May 17, 2005 13:51

Gazza, Monkey Man (keefs arse?), Doxa, Esky. I'll be honest with you. It breaks my heart to see you post the things that you do about The Stones and their fans. It really does. And then to have the nerve to call the people that choose to pay whatever they want (nobody HAS to pay $450, or anything for that matter) 'fools', man you got some balls. Oh! I forgot my place, I'm just a fool who doesn't have the sense to know what he likes and to be able to place a monetary value on it. I'll try and do better, really I will.

I ain't stupid, I'm just guitarded.

Date: May 17, 2005 14:22

yeah I have some balls, OK but then again I dont take myself so seriously and get all upset on behalf of everyone else and a band who doesnt give a shit about me

and my heart bleeds for your heart for calling guys like yourself 'fools'.

maybe I should go to sensitivity classes, eh?

By the way - read up a few posts to the top of this page. I called myself a "fool" as well. See? And I survived.

get over it.

Date: May 17, 2005 15:08

"Gazza, Monkey Man (keefs arse?), Doxa, Esky. I'll be honest with you. It breaks my heart to see you post the things that you do about The Stones and their fans. It really does. And then to have the nerve to call the people that choose to pay whatever they want (nobody HAS to pay $450, or anything for that matter) 'fools', man you got some balls. Oh! I forgot my place, I'm just a fool who doesn't have the sense to know what he likes and to be able to place a monetary value on it. I'll try and do better, really I will."

Rankoutsider (#2?), I can understand your sentiments, and believe me, I wasn't intended to offend anyone by calling 'fools'. Sorry if I did. But believe me, again, about the persons belonging to the category of 'fools', I was mostly thinking about myself (and people like Gazzasmiling smiley). Most of what I do is thinking out loud (and trying to talk some sense to an idiot fan like myselfsmiling smileysmiling smiley).

- Doxa

Date: May 17, 2005 15:11

I'm proud to be a fool and an idiot, Doxa!!

Date: May 17, 2005 15:15

But let me add something: before anyone start calling people like me 'hypocrites' that are whining about the ticket prices and still showing up there, we are in a good company; the biggest hypocrite of us all just officially stated in a press conference that "you can keep all the money, pal".

- Doxa

Date: May 17, 2005 15:17

post of the month!

Date: May 17, 2005 17:34

monkey man Wrote:
>
> >
> T&A ma man I generally have a great deal of
> respect for your posts but you may however want to
> check yourself at the door re some of your
> statements.
> Stones money is not the kind of money any of us
> here make. So the comparison or rather question of
> “is that what you do at your workplace?” is like
> comparing a moon rock with a toasted marshmellow.
> And as for..

Question of degrees. My point is simply that EVERYONE earns/makes as much money as they can in our society. Why should the Stones be subjected to a different standard?

>
> “everyone does it. It's call free-enterprise
> capitalism. Hello....”
>
> You might like to consult with the enormous amount
> of people in the world that are not capitalists,
> or even those that live in a capitalists societies
> that have no interest in monetary gain.
> There are some among you that have no such
> interest in such things.
> But beware as they look just like you and me and
> can sneak up on you at any time.
> Especially the Dalai Lama. That guy’s a sneaky
> little bastard.
>

So, the Stones are supposed to be Dalai Lama-types? What seed having you been smokin', son?

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: May 17, 2005 17:45

I just don't understand how they can charge over $300 for tickets that are over fifty yards from the stage (Scott Stadium)

Chris F

Date: May 17, 2005 17:45

Chris Fountain Wrote:
> >
> I just don't understand how they can charge over
> $300 for tickets that are over fifty yards from
> the stage (Scott Stadium)
>
>
> Chris F

very simple - 'cos people are paying that. supply/demand

Posted by: jigsawpuzzle ()
Date: May 17, 2005 19:04

monkey man - you're right, you nailed it - I've been to several shows on every tour since 75 and this is the thanks I get. They make you feel like a sucker. After getting up and going to work for the last 25 years, you start to resent what there doing to, as another said, "the salt of the earth" . And another post discusses taking your kids, yeah right!

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: May 17, 2005 19:15

Kyle (He's no Keef arse Rank! Monkey Man is his secret identity! Oh shit , cat's out of the bag! Sorry mate!) Have you considered a career in journalism? Your observations and commenttaries are the the penultimate in punditry, at least on this board! Well done mate and write soon ya bastard!

Posted by: Manhattan ()
Date: May 17, 2005 19:24

T&A Wrote:
> very simple - 'cos people are paying that.
> supply/demand

From my Marxist-Leninist perspective I think you make things way too simple. If the Stones wanted to make lots of dough they could charge $1000 for a theatre ticket. I'm sure they'd sell all those tickets even at that high a price. The problem is that only a special category of people, the affluent, will be able to buy those tix and of course the die hard fans will buy although they probably couldn't handle the cost. Another example would be if your landlord decides to practice some good old supply/demand and tells you that certain people are willing to pay a higher rent in order to get their hands on the apartment that you are currently living in. So in that case you either pay the higher rent or you have to move to a cheaper place. Supply and demand in a nutshell. Did you ever think about this affliction while repeating your mantra?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-05-17 19:25 by Manhattan.

Date: May 17, 2005 19:33

but it is that simple, mate. if folks weren't willing to shell out $400 for a ticket, the Stones wouldn't be able to charge it. it doesn't get any simpler.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: May 17, 2005 19:44

"The problem is that only a special category of people, the affluent, will be able to buy those tix and of course the die hard fans will buy although they probably couldn't handle the cost"

Not exactly true. I may be considered a die hard and the prices are high. On the other hand there are many ways to prove I am a die hard fan. Standing in a line for days to get cheap tix is only one way. Saving money to buy more expensive tix can be another. Personally since I can't take a couple of days off from work to stand in the line, I would have quite strong arguments to say that the first scenario is at least as discriminating!

"Another example would be if your landlord decides to practice some good old supply/demand and tells you that certain people are willing to pay a higher rent in order to get their hands on the apartment that you are currently living in. So in that case you either pay the higher rent or you have to move to a cheaper place."

Well I don't know how it works in Cuba, but certainly here in Milano when the term of my lease agreement expires, that is exactly what I expect to hear from my landlord.

My grand mother was Polish, as is my present girlfriend (funny coincidence). From what I learnt from them I am happy not to experience marxism / leninism on my skin and be free to decide how to spend my money, if on the stones rather than beer or charity.

Cheers,

C

Posted by: Stikkyfinger ()
Date: May 17, 2005 20:57

Doxa Wrote:
> But let me add something: before anyone start
> calling people like me 'hypocrites' that are
> whining about the ticket prices and still showing
> up there, we are in a good company; the biggest
> hypocrite of us all just officially stated in a
> press conference that "you can keep all the money,
> pal".
>
> - Doxa

Well, do the Stones REALLY HAVE TO WORK? DO they NEED the money? OK they have big houses to keep and lots of them - but do they really need to work?

If your answer is no (which it must be, I reckon) then Keith is right when he says "you can keep all the money".

If your answer is yes then they must have lost (or spent) between them say, $100 million dollars or more!!!!

Regards,

Ian.

Rolling Stones Tribute

Play Rolling Stones

Posted by: RankOutsider ()
Date: May 17, 2005 22:39

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2005-05-17 23:11 by RankOutsider.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1548
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home