Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Track Talk: Sad Day
Posted by: GOO ()
Date: February 18, 2014 17:29

Good song, fits the era

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: February 3, 2015 13:41

DandelionPowderman
His Majesty
NICOS

I think this shows that it's a well written song though.
I think the stones arrangement needed more work and maybe some re-writing of some of the lyrics.

It's better as an instrumental thumbs up

Yes it is.
But they really really really wanted to sing
"if there's one thing in this world that I can't understand it's a girl"
and it would've sounded odd with no other words :E

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: February 3, 2015 17:24

I belong to the even small minority who actually likes this song.

And I am among the small group of listeners that appeciates the outro, as somewhat to my ears approaching a pseudo-psychedelic sound.

Date: February 3, 2015 17:45

Witness, there's a little discussion you might like going on here:
[www.iorr.org]
which we should probably transplant to this thread, so that it remains in the Track Talk for posterity :E

Date: February 3, 2015 17:57

Okay, here's my attempt at a transplant of the bits about Sad Day from that thread - hope I quoted everyone properly!

DandelionPowderman
with sssoul
[The Professor in the Coursera "Music of the Rolling Stones 1962-74" course]
talks too much about which track was on which album released on what date in which country.
Maybe the stuff about the song structures (AABA blah blah) will get more interesting if he develops it more,
and it would be nice if he'd explain *why* the harmonics on Sad Day are so interesting
instead of just saying they're interesting with no elucidation. Oh well.

Witness wrote a beautiful post on this earlier (in the thread where we discussed whether the Stones had gothic influences).
I'll look around for it.

Naturalust
The Sad Day harmonics are interesting to me because they sound so clean and pretty
and they are played during a breakdown of the other instruments. Also they define an interval
which is programmed into all our heads from a very early age through nursery rhymes and possibly even earlier.
Like when an infant wails Mom-my or Dad-dy.

with sssoul
[The professor has replied to a request for more detail about Sad Day] this way (although I'm paraphrasing a lot):
The intro uses open strings to create some near-dissonance in the two-guitar interplay;
the verses begin with a lot of layering, with the vocal, piano and guitar having distinct lines;
then comes a very conventional section (the shift from E to D in the "I felt I had a dream" bit)
before going back to the interestingly layered stuff.
The chorus introduces something different, with the vocal and piano counterpoint seeming "rooted in classical music".
The whole thing mixes major and minor "in ways that might be derived from blues, but are no longer really blues".

And then there's that trippiness that creeps into the outro.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: February 3, 2015 18:37

After the purity of of the blues, but before open G, "weaving", smack, the Glimmer Twins, Taylor, and Woody, there was this band called the Rolling Stones who wrote and performed great pop music. I simply adore this song, possibly because it was written by Mick and Keith before world-weariness and cynicism had crept in, It is a young man's song, innocent in spirit, executed joyfully. OK, maybe "then I looked at the morning mail/I was not even expecting a bill" doesn't rate among the greatest lyrics ever, but there is still much pleasure in listening to two young songwriters and a young band in the throes of joyful discovery.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-02-04 02:11 by 71Tele.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: February 3, 2015 22:57

71Tele
After the purity of of the blues, but before open G, "weaving", smack, the Glimmer Twins, Taylor, and Woody, there was this band called the Rolling Stones who wrote and performed great pop music. I simply adore this song, possibly because it was written by Mick and Keith before world-weariness and cynicism had crept in, It is a young man's song, innocent in spirit, executed joyfully. OK, maybe "then I looked at the morning mail/I was not even expecting a bill" doesn't rate among the greatest lyrics ever, there is much pleasure in listening to two young songwriters and a young bad in the throes of joyful discovery.

thumbs up

Posted by: OzHeavyThrobber ()
Date: February 4, 2015 00:15

Not s fan and Jagger's vocals are horrible to my ears. I prefer verse over chorus but that says nothing for the verses either. As I think they pretty much suck too smoking smiley

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: February 4, 2015 00:24

24FPS
71Tele
After the purity of of the blues, but before open G, "weaving", smack, the Glimmer Twins, Taylor, and Woody, there was this band called the Rolling Stones who wrote and performed great pop music. I simply adore this song, possibly because it was written by Mick and Keith before world-weariness and cynicism had crept in, It is a young man's song, innocent in spirit, executed joyfully. OK, maybe "then I looked at the morning mail/I was not even expecting a bill" doesn't rate among the greatest lyrics ever, there is much pleasure in listening to two young songwriters and a young bad in the throes of joyful discovery.

thumbs up

Even if I didn't like this tune, I'd have to appreciate it after reading Tele's post. Nice one. peace

Date: February 4, 2015 04:18

71Tele
After the purity of of the blues, but before open G, "weaving", smack, the Glimmer Twins, Taylor, and Woody, there was this band called the Rolling Stones who wrote and performed great pop music. I simply adore this song, possibly because it was written by Mick and Keith before world-weariness and cynicism had crept in, It is a young man's song, innocent in spirit, executed joyfully. OK, maybe "then I looked at the morning mail/I was not even expecting a bill" doesn't rate among the greatest lyrics ever, but there is still much pleasure in listening to two young songwriters and a young band in the throes of joyful discovery.

Yes, great post. And this is why it is ;practically im;possible for me to dis-like any of their earlier songs; or covers. I may like the out of tune wonkers and hackney-d lyrical twists even more thsn the "successes".
"Im' Movin On", "Surprise Surprise", "Grown Up Wrong", "Singer not the Song", "Andrew's Blues", "Now Ive Got AWitness", "Take it or Leave It", "Id Much rather Be With the Bloys",all the Chess stuff. There is so much joy and energy.

Date: February 4, 2015 05:01

Palace Revolution 2000
71Tele

Yes, great post. And this is why it is ;practically im;possible for me to dis-like any of their earlier songs; or covers. I may like the out of tune wonkers and hackney-d lyrical twists even more thsn the "successes".
"Im' Movin On", "Surprise Surprise", "Grown Up Wrong", "Singer not the Song", "Andrew's Blues", "Now Ive Got AWitness", "Take it or Leave It", "Id Much rather Be With the Bloys",all the Chess stuff. There is so much joy and energy.

Thanks, and couldn't agree more. Even though it was a Decca "revenge" release, I love the LP No Stone Unturned, which collects several of these gems.

Posted by: hypnohighball ()
Date: February 4, 2015 05:18

Personally I love this song.

Posted by: scaffer ()
Date: February 4, 2015 05:37

Must agree with Mathjis, Witness, hypnohighball and the many others who love this song.

If you were listening when this song came out, it was notable for the excellent production values - very good highs, the acoustic strumming in the second half of each verse really makes it rock, the strong drum and bass groove, the intriguing piano in the chorus. Way good for mid-'60's.

Mick's vocal and lyrics on Sad Day were (and I think still are) really ambitious and well delivered.

The general sense, given the above factors, is that the Stones thought this could be a hit and spent considerable time on it in the studio. The fact that it was a 'B side' is also significant; in the old days a B side had the potential to be a smash in its own right.

Sorry, but in technical terms, in terms of groove and feel, and in terms of what other bands were doing at the time, 'Sad Day' ranks very high. And I think it still does today!

Date: February 4, 2015 06:34

DandelionPowderman
The verses are weak, very weak, imo. Especially the "when I stopped yawnin'"-parts.

The choruses, with the stops and the different instrumentation, are interesting, though.

The verses are too "cheerful-sounding" musically to convince me about the sad day smiling smiley

He's written worse lyrics more recently.

Posted by: Keefy ()
Date: February 4, 2015 07:53

I love this song! I think its a great track! A hidden gem..

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: February 4, 2015 08:53

Great song. Would be interesting to hear an updated version, either studio or live. In Sweden it was a 45 single with the famous Promo LP photograph. A beautiful rarity.

Date: February 4, 2015 10:18

71Tele
Palace Revolution 2000
71Tele

Thanks, and couldn't agree more. Even though it was a Decca "revenge" release, I love the LP No Stone Unturned, which collects several of these gems.

Yes NSU is great. For a long time it was the only place I could get Stones' "Money".

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: February 4, 2015 11:33

Some great, inspiring and surprisingly positive reviews here lately, so I gave a new listening to see if I have missed something I haven't noticed earlier (like I argued earlier, it is one of those Stones tracks it is hard for me to remember they even exist.) Like Tele71 I liked very much NO STONE UNTURNED album at the time (and surely not only for completist collector's sake), but there were other rare gems that stood out, but "Sad Day" not for me.

I wholeheartdly agree with that the joy and energy, and that brave experimentalism of the day, together with the drive for progression, is charming per se, and I rate it any day over the safe professionalism of the latter days. It is always fascinating to listen Mick and Keith taking steps forward as writers. But still, in the end, sometimes the product just does not outlive its context, and I think "Sad Day" almost painfully is nothing much else than a failed experiment, which only has a certain value as a historical curiosity. It sounds like their natural roots in Chicago has cut off too hastily, and they don't quite handle the new reference material yet. I mean, a simple r&b number like "Off The Hook" does much better to my ears now than much more melodically richer and productionwise more ambitious "Sad Day". If anything, "Sad Day" reminds me very much of The Stones trying to catch the Beatles in their own game - the game, they with Martin, had just mastered. (There is, I think, a lot in "Sad Day", typical Beatlelogists would love to anaylize to death, and see as a work of a revolutionary genious).

So sorry, I wish I could like the song more than I do, and join the choir here, but sorry I can't...grinning smiley

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-02-04 11:39 by Doxa.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: February 4, 2015 11:39

Brilliant song with even that special taste that many of Stones 60ies songs had..everytning is perfect with this recording...and Micks singing, OUTSTANDING!

2 1 2 0

Date: February 4, 2015 11:53

By the way, where is Rene? We haven't seen a new track talk thread for over two weeks now...

- Doxa

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: February 4, 2015 11:57

Doxa
By the way, where is Rene? We haven't seen a new track talk thread for over two weeks now...

- Doxa

Longin' for Tell Me as I am?

2 1 2 0

Date: February 4, 2015 12:28

Come On
Doxa

- Doxa

Longin' for Tell Me as I am?

Among others....thumbs up

- Doxa

Posted by: detroitken ()
Date: February 4, 2015 15:23

I've always liked this tune.One of many obscure stones traks that(imo)were the real glue that made them great....

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: February 4, 2015 16:52

Great 60s songs, one of my wife's favorite Stones songs.

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: February 4, 2015 17:27

Sad Day is on the "No Stone Unturned" album to which I haven't listened for a while but Sad Day makes my day and Jagger sounds pretty good on this early Stones track.

Date: February 4, 2015 18:43

Doxa
Some great, inspiring and surprisingly positive reviews here lately, so I gave a new listening to see if I have missed something I haven't noticed earlier (like I argued earlier, it is one of those Stones tracks it is hard for me to remember they even exist.) Like Tele71 I liked very much NO STONE UNTURNED album at the time (and surely not only for completist collector's sake), but there were other rare gems that stood out, but "Sad Day" not for me.

I wholeheartdly agree with that the joy and energy, and that brave experimentalism of the day, together with the drive for progression, is charming per se, and I rate it any day over the safe professionalism of the latter days. It is always fascinating to listen Mick and Keith taking steps forward as writers. But still, in the end, sometimes the product just does not outlive its context, and I think "Sad Day" almost painfully is nothing much else than a failed experiment, which only has a certain value as a historical curiosity. It sounds like their natural roots in Chicago has cut off too hastily, and they don't quite handle the new reference material yet. I mean, a simple r&b number like "Off The Hook" does much better to my ears now than much more melodically richer and productionwise more ambitious "Sad Day". If anything, "Sad Day" reminds me very much of The Stones trying to catch the Beatles in their own game - the game, they with Martin, had just mastered. (There is, I think, a lot in "Sad Day", typical Beatlelogists would love to anaylize to death, and see as a work of a revolutionary genious).

So sorry, I wish I could like the song more than I do, and join the choir here, but sorry I can't...grinning smiley

- Doxa

Maybe you're over-thinking it a bit? I enjoy the song even more knowing it was an early step on a series of many more and delightful ones, but that's me. smoking smiley

Date: February 4, 2015 19:22

Can people who think highly of the vocals please say more about what you like about them?
For me they're the main weak point - the vocal melody, the delivery and the lyrics,
more or less in that order. So I'd love to learn what people admire about the singing - please and thank you kindly!

Date: February 4, 2015 19:39

with sssoul
Can people who think highly of the vocals please say more about what you like about them?
For me they're the main weak point - the vocal melody, the delivery and the lyrics,
more or less in that order. So I'd love to learn what people admire about the singing - please and thank you kindly!

They are natural and unaffected, and I like the way the melody meanders downward on the end of the verses ("started getting myself dressed"). I also like the "sad old day, bad old day" vamp at the end....

How's that?

Date: February 4, 2015 20:05

Thanks, 71. Indeed, the end is the part of the vocals I tolerate pretty well.
Anyone else? I need more ammunition than that to overcome my existing perceptions of this vocal.

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: February 4, 2015 20:43

Mick Jagger was able to shout and cajole the lyrics in this rocked-up ballad.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1874
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home