Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Track Talk: Sad Day
Posted by: René ()
Date: February 17, 2014 09:58

Comments, input and alterations are very welcome!

Sad Day
(Mick Jagger / Keith Richards)

RCA Studios, Hollywood, Los Angeles, California, US, December 3 - 8, 1965

Mick Jagger - lead vocals, backing vocals
Keith Richards - acoustic guitar, electric guitar, backing vocals
Charlie Watts - drums
Bill Wyman - bass
Brian Jones - organ
Jack Nitzsche - piano

Someone woke me up this mornin' and I lit a cigarette
Found myself when I stopped yawnin', started getting myself dressed
Then I felt I had a dream, I remembered the things that I'd seen
I could still hear the things you said with that bad dream in my head
It was a sad day, bad day, sad day, bad day

So I called you on the phone and your friend said: She's not home
So I told her where I'd be at and that you should call me back
Then I looked at the morning mail, I was not even expecting a bill
Your letter a-started: Dear, and it left me with these tears

Think of the times that we had rows, but we patched them up somehow
Think of the times I tried to go, but you screamed and told me no
There is only one thing in this world that I can't understand, that's a girl
I keep a-readin' the things you said like a bad dream in my head

Oh, what a sad, sad, old day, a sad old day, it was a sad old day
A sad old day, it was a bad old day, sad old day, a bad old day
If there is one awful thing in this world that I can't understand, that's a girl
It was a sad, sad old day, sad old day, it was a sad old day

Produced by Andrew Loog Oldham

First released on:
The Rolling Stones - “19th Nervous Breakdown / Sad Day” 7’ single
(London 9823) US, February 12, 1966

Re: Track Talk: Sad Day
Date: February 17, 2014 10:03

The verses are weak, very weak, imo. Especially the "when I stopped yawnin'"-parts.

The choruses, with the stops and the different instrumentation, are interesting, though.

The verses are too "cheerful-sounding" musically to convince me about the sad day smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-17 10:03 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: February 17, 2014 11:33

This is what you call a knock off in song-writing circles. It screams b-side all the way to record pressing plant. Probably written over a nice strong cup of coffee on the way to the recording studio.

It's one of the few b-side duds written at this time. There were so many great ones - Play With Fire, Ride On Baby, Blue Turns To Grey, Who's Driving Your Plane?, even Congratulations.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: February 17, 2014 11:36

I remember looking forward to hearing this track upon purchasing the Singles Collection: a 60's B-side I hadn't even heard of, let alone, actually heard. Suffice to say, I was disappointed. I suppose, at a push, one could reason that it has a certain mid-60's charm to it, but it's not melodious or tuneful enough to resonate with the listener for too long. Only initially released in markets - perhaps solely the U.S.? - outside of the U.K; and for good reason.

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: February 17, 2014 12:38

A so-so pop ditty; I prefer the verses to the chorus.

Drew

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-17 12:41 by drewmaster.

Posted by: SilverBlanket ()
Date: February 17, 2014 13:30

I actually really like this track.Cool outro.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: February 17, 2014 13:52

In the mid-60s, when they wrote so-so B-side throwaways at least they would still be catchy enough to stick in your mind and eventually make you want to hear them again, which is something you really can't say about lesser songs from later albums.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: February 17, 2014 14:25

Since "As Tears Go By", the B-side of UK single "19th Nervous Breakdown", was released already as a single A side in America, The US version of the single needed another song to the flip side. And "Sad Day" it was.

A song that is so much buried to the past and marginal that it is pretty hard to remember that it even exists. When people are constructing lists of "worst Stones songs ever", this one is so forgettable that usually no one even remembers mentioning it, even though it surely deserves to be there. The usual suspects "Gomper" and "Indian Girl" are masterpieces compared to this one.

Well, a harmless - even if not a bit irrating - pop song in Mick and Keith's trial and error method of learning writing songs, and not being ashamed to use any stupid idea that occurred to mind. Like mentioned above, there is an ambivalance between the lyrics and the music, be it intentional or not. I guess there is some kind of fresh naivity in its delivery that makes it almost charming, but I guess most of the parties involved, including us fans, would now agree that perhaps the track should have never seen a day light, not even as a B side.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-17 14:26 by Doxa.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: February 17, 2014 14:26

Brilliant B-side song! 10/10

Jagger at his best...one of his last tunes with that special singin he had in the very early Stones....

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: February 17, 2014 17:53

Fantastic track. Mesmerizing.

Mathijs

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: February 17, 2014 18:05

DandelionPowderman
The verses are weak, very weak, imo. Especially the "when I stopped yawnin'"-parts.

The choruses, with the stops and the different instrumentation, are interesting, though.

The verses are too "cheerful-sounding" musically to convince me about the sad day smiling smiley

Mostly agree with DP here, but especially the "cheerful-sounding" part. In fact, it's so incongruous that I sometimes hum the chorus when I've had a bad day, and it cheers me up. grinning smiley

Of course, there are plenty of other songs like that, lyrically they go one way and musically another. That would actually be an interesting thread.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: February 17, 2014 18:41

I like it, it reminds me of a lot of tracks on Aftermath and Between the Buttons. Not fully developed into a great song like the big singles from that era, but nonetheless it sounds cool.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: February 17, 2014 19:49

I want to start this post with......that's the reason that they din't released it back in '66 but I just discovered that it was released in the US as B-side confused smiley I think it's a strange song...I first heard it in '73 released as A-side and on the flip side YGAGWYW....never really liked it..it got strange fibe......looks like they first written the lyrics and add the music "Someone woke me up this mornin' and I lit a cigarette......."????????

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-17 23:17 by NICOS.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: February 17, 2014 20:37

I wonder if this was the inspriation for the opening line in Sublime's "What I got"... "Early in the morning, risin' to the street
Light me up that cigarette and I strap shoes on my feet"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-17 20:38 by ryanpow.

Date: February 17, 2014 20:43

Mathijs

Mathijs

grinning smiley

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: February 17, 2014 20:56

It's a true B-side. I included it on a compilation of recent songs a couple years back to break up the rhythms. Somebody I gave it too who had little knowledge of the Stones, really liked the song and played it over and over. The part I really remember is that strange guitar outro. It sounds like something Brian came up that adds some emotional color to the song. Quite groovy.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: February 17, 2014 21:46

It sound funny on piano.....

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: February 17, 2014 21:54

Considering that they had "Sittin' On A Fence" in the can already, it's beyond me they released this track at all. A boring and very weak song, all over.

I remember when I discovered this song on The Singles Collection, years ago:
Exciting! An Aftermath-era track I hadn't heard! Wow!
I was dissapointed to say the least.

The outro, however, is pretty cool.

Date: February 17, 2014 22:56

If I recall right, I first heard the song in NO STONE UNTURNED collection. There were a lot of rarities to please the appetite of a young amateur collector (wasn't particularly keen on shining even then), but this particular track probably made the least impression of all of them. And still I am not certain if the track was in that album. "Sad Day" might be my less listened Stones track of all-time, but thanks to Rene's Talk I listened it now two times, but no... this do no good on me. Not even being so 'old' and catching them in their creative uphill, and their minds wandering so free, do not save it. All respect to their spirit at the time, but unfortunately the results weren't very convincing always.

- Doxa

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: February 17, 2014 23:25

Awful. This is the kind of song they wrote to give away to other artists and it never got an official UK release until 1973 when it was issued as a single b/w "You Can't Always Get What You Want, Decca F 13404. It was subsequently issued on "No Stone Unturned".
I suspect that it would have remained an unreleased outtake had the US had the same single release of "19th Nervous Breakdown" b/w "As Tears Go By" as most countries did.
This is the NME review of the single:

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: February 18, 2014 01:33

Mathijs

Mathijs

thumbs up

Posted by: Angus MacBagpipe ()
Date: February 18, 2014 03:17

"Sad Day" - not one of their proudest moments, but an interesting curiousity piece now seen from a distance.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 18, 2014 03:25

Angus MacBagpipe
"Sad Day" - not one of their proudest moments, but an interesting curiousity piece now seen from a distance.

You'd have to be standing pretty far back though.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: February 18, 2014 04:21

NICOS

I think this shows that it's a well written song though.

I think the stones arrangement needed more work and maybe some re-writing of some of the lyrics.

Date: February 18, 2014 05:28

Thanks Deltics for that NME review. So its secong coming is the single from NO STONE UNTURNED (1973). Like they put it there "I can't see Mick and Keith and the lads for being too happy about this resurrected oldie", especially taken "by current Stones standards".... And they surely weren't! WikiPedia gives the following description (based on OFF THE RECORD):

The song Sad Day is released as a single from the LP. Keith said he didn't mind them repackaging the old stuff but wished they would use a bit more imagination about it. He said that "putting out old flipsides as singles is shit". He said the record company Decca were supposed to be making records "but they might just as easily be making baked beans." Keith then bluntly called the record company "the biggest bunch of shits in the world".

grinning smiley

Probably hearing "Sad Day" as the 'latest Stones single' in radio didn't sound too good to their ears in 1973...

Anyway, it didn't chart in UK, but in always Stones-warm Netherlands it did admirable #19... (Seems to gather huge fascination from that direction even still here...grinning smiley)

I need to say that the title of the album NO STONE UNTURNED is (probably unintentionally) self-ironical from Decca's side... They really were emptying their pockets there from the last official materials. But it did have a function, namely - to quote NME again - "for archivists only"... A handy album still it was during the early 80's to gather all those odd flipsides...

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-18 05:33 by Doxa.

Date: February 18, 2014 09:28

His Majesty
NICOS

I think this shows that it's a well written song though.

I think the stones arrangement needed more work and maybe some re-writing of some of the lyrics.

It's better as an instrumental thumbs up

The chorus remains the most interesting part, imo smiling smiley

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: February 18, 2014 10:39

DandelionPowderman

It's better as an instrumental thumbs up

The chorus remains the most interesting part, imo smiling smiley

Agree 100%

I think the intro is great, very underrated actually and the outro and chorus is great.

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: February 18, 2014 16:27

Well, if it's not exactly a good song than it's for me an interesting early songwriting effort. Worthy to listen to more than once just to enjoy the Stones as they evolved.

There's a nice blend of the moody, dark sound (on the verses) and minimal, lighthearted feel of the chorus. The cool ending echoes the sound of the verses.

OK, I know it's only a 'weak' b-side, but like it still even now listening to it again.

Date: February 18, 2014 16:32

nightskyman
Well, if it's not exactly a good song than it's for me an interesting early songwriting effort. Worthy to listen to more than once just to enjoy the Stones as they evolved.

There's a nice blend of the moody, dark sound (on the verses) and minimal, lighthearted feel of the chorus. The cool ending echoes the sound of the verses.

OK, I know it's only a 'weak' b-side, but like it still even now listening to it again.

Do you find "Someone woke me up this morning..." dark?

I'm humming these parts cheerfully - interesting! grinning smiley

However, I get the feeling of being confused/sad/distraught-ish on the "It was a sad day, bad day..."-parts smiling smiley

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: February 18, 2014 16:38

DandelionPowderman
nightskyman

Do you find "Someone woke me up this morning..." dark?

I'm humming these parts cheerfully - interesting! grinning smiley

However, I get the feeling of being confused/sad/distraught-ish on the "It was a sad day, bad day..."-parts smiling smiley

I was referring only to the sound, the music (I should've been more specific there)...the lyrics I don't even think about on this one.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-18 16:39 by nightskyman.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1784
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home