Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Looking for a new bargain TELE
Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: February 13, 2014 13:24

As i already own a Fender Tele Custom from the 60s made around 1985 ( sunburst, rosewood fingerboard, Lindy Fralin PUs, etc.....), i am looking for something different .
I mean a thinline body, a neck humbucker, or P90s PUs, a maple fingerboard, etc...
I was thinking about the Squier's CV series. Fender Modern Player series or G&L tribute ones (bluesboy, etc...), which are around the same range of price (450-550 euros)
As i am a litte bit confused, and as it is not posible to try and play the guitars by myself, i'd like some impressions from whom has played this guitars.

There are some wood options in those guitars: Mahogany, Ash..........some solid, and some semisolid thinline-like. There are some fingerboard options as well (maple vs rosewood)

What about Vintage guitars from Wilkinson?? What about G&L tribute special with those high output PUs??

I'd appreciatte your opinions.
THANKS

Re: Looking for a new bargain TELE
Posted by: nankerphlege ()
Date: February 13, 2014 15:12

G&l offer great values in all of thier guitars. For a Tele my recommendation is ash as they are quick responding and have the closest sound. but it also depends on the sound you are going for. Also if not able to play ask the people which sounds best via email or phone if the salesperson will actually play the guitars side by side. You may get a good opinion.

Go Dawgs!

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: February 13, 2014 15:21

fender custom shop . the best strats and teles money can buy .

Date: February 13, 2014 15:28

TheGreek
That is the problem: WHICH AMOUNT OF MONEY??

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: February 13, 2014 15:33

KeithNacho
TheGreek
you have to talk to a authorised fender dealer or look online for some quotes.

Date: February 14, 2014 13:46

I was seriously trying to decide between:
FENDER MODERN PLAYER THINLINE................. MAHOGANY + P90s
G&L TRIBUTE ASAT BLUES BOY SEMIHOLLOW..........ASH + SINGLE/HUMBUCKER

Posted by: johnh ()
Date: February 14, 2014 14:08

Hi, I have 2 G&L's a 1986 Asat with the MFD pickups and a Classic tribute. The tribute isnt a bluesboy but the same bridge PU, its nice.. very Tele-like tones, nice neck... better value for money than the Fenders of that price range, which I had owned .
john

Date: February 14, 2014 15:02

Thanks John
Aren't those MFD PUs so high output? I imagine something between single coils and P90s

Posted by: sjs12 ()
Date: February 14, 2014 16:34

OK, so this isn't what you described, but I think these Squire Cabronita Teles are brilliant value and a bit special:

Posted by: kishorcsog ()
Date: February 14, 2014 16:45

I have this and it is fantastic, no humbucker though but maple neck, check out the reviews on amazon:

[www.amazon.com]

Date: February 17, 2014 15:48

The Squier Cabronita with Bigsby is amazing, and it is a really bargain!!!. The quality seems to be superb, but it is in an inferior league as the CVs, Fender Modern Player and G&L tribute

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: February 17, 2014 15:59

KeithNacho
TheGreek

Not only the best you can buy, but a true Telecaster must be made by Fender...all others are knockoffs...

Since you have a nice custom shop Tele, I seriously doubt you would be anywhere near the county line of happiness with the cheap knockoffs...at minimum get a Mexican made Tele...those can be made well and are quite affordable

Date: February 17, 2014 16:01

Mine is a Japanese tele from the 80s. It is not a Custom Shop

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: February 17, 2014 19:15

Oh...well then the choice is easy! A little expensive but easy!

Posted by: Stoneburst ()
Date: February 17, 2014 19:43

You haven't really told us what your budget - or definition of 'bargain' - is, so it's hard to make specific recommendations, but Fender's Cabronita Thinline is the best looking, sounding and playing production Tele I've tried in ages, and is certainly reasonably priced for what it is. The pickups are pretty convincing too, assuming you're not a Gretsch purist:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-17 19:44 by Stoneburst.

Date: February 17, 2014 22:33

I played a modern player tele thinline with the p-90's. Nice. Not too terrible of a price either.

Date: February 17, 2014 22:37

Hi, yeah they are higher than single coil, never played a P90 but I think its just the look of them that gets that comparison. Fantastic guitars.

they use the same PUP's in the tribute range

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-17 22:38 by johnh.

Date: February 18, 2014 03:01

Those Nash's are great guitars. Love to have one, but I'll probably never be able to afford one.

Date: February 18, 2014 11:09

My price range is between 400 and 800 dollars

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: February 18, 2014 19:06

A buddy has a Fender Tele made in Mexico. Swears by it. He got tired of bringing his vintage guitars to gigs & worrying about them.

Date: February 19, 2014 01:19

have you tried on here.. theres a classified section and all the info you'd ever need on Telecasters
tdpri.. telecaster guitar forum

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: February 19, 2014 02:05

Check out a Made in Japan tele. Great deals band great craftsmanship. I would find a nice pre owned.

Posted by: AussieMark ()
Date: February 19, 2014 02:13

Midnight Toker
Check out a Made in Japan tele. Great deals band great craftsmanship. I would find a nice pre owned.

+1 given the OP's budget.

Cheers
Mark
[rollingstoned.com.au]
[facebook.com]

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: February 19, 2014 03:22

AussieMark
Midnight Toker

+1 given the OP's budget.

+2 I have owned a MIJ Tele and still own a MIJ Strat. Great guitars for money!

Posted by: JuanTCB ()
Date: February 19, 2014 05:32

I've got a mid '90s Japanese Tele Custom and the quality and craftsmanship is equal to my mid '00s U.S. '57 Strat.

The scary thing, however, is that my nephew's new Chinese Squier '50s Vibe Strat is shockingly comparable to both, and I think it cost about $200. You might be better off getting a Squier '50s or '60s Vibe Tele and then modding it to your own specs.

Date: April 2, 2014 15:44

Now i'm hooked on the MIM Fender Telecaster Cabronita Thin Line in white blonde................it's a GAS GAS GAS

Posted by: Cafaro ()
Date: April 2, 2014 18:22

I got the Squier Cabronita w/Bigsby from Guitar Center for $200 US cuz it had a dent in the back.

I swapped out all of the components and it is a dream guitar! I love it. I'm often finding Squier necks are built better than MIM Fenders and some US models!

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: April 2, 2014 18:35

In your guys opinion, what's a better guitar, a Mexican Fender Tele or a Squire Tele?

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: April 2, 2014 19:14

Simple answer. Go to EBAY find a used Highway 1 Tele in either maple or rosewood they sell for 500 to 700 dollars. They have big frets, loud pick ups and old style routing and bridges. Most of them are Nitro and made in the USA. There are many in mint condition on EBAY now. The current version under a different name is not USA. Beware of Mexi Fenders, their finish and truss roy material kills the tone. A highway 1 also has the old style steel rod... Caution because of the large frets these guitars have a long break in period which is maybe why there's many out there unused. Took me a couple of months to get my HWY Strat perfect, more expensive Fenders have better finishing touches, if you buy cheap you have to put some love into it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-02 20:05 by DoomandGloom.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1833
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home