Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Till The Next Goodbye
Posted by: big4 ()
Date: February 12, 2014 06:45

Mick aping Bowie in the most obvious and pandering way, a song trying to ape the feel and melancholy of Angie. Til The Next Goodbye is so obiviosly the Stones attempt to capitalize on the success of Angie. Why else the promo vid? But such was the band's talent and craftsmanship at the time they almost topped its predecessor in an effortless, nearly offhand way.

Till The Next Goodbye may be a calculated attempt to give IORR its Angie but winds up its own kind of wistful, haunting ballad of regret and forbidden longing which in some ways eclipses Angie.

If this isn't a Taylor/Jagger composition I don't know what is-even though Nicky Hopkin's piano absolutely owns this song.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-12 06:52 by big4.

Re: Till The Next Goodbye
Posted by: CMH516 ()
Date: February 12, 2014 06:52

Interesting that the video is Mick and 4 shadows.

That song does take me back. I remember getting the sheet music to the IORR album and playing that opening chord sequence over and over on an old beat up acoustic when I was 11 years old.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: February 12, 2014 06:59

Great video - Idon't think I've ever watched it. Love that song and a it has been rehearsed I hope they play it!

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: February 12, 2014 07:01

This song always takes me back to when I was 12 years old, watching it on TV.
And this was pre-VCR, so you only saw it once and then had to remember what you could.
I actually prefer his vocal here.
It's one of Jagger's most underrated songs.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-12 07:03 by tomk.

Posted by: CMH516 ()
Date: February 12, 2014 07:03

Wasn't it on "Don Kirschner's Rock Concert"?

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: February 12, 2014 08:08

CMH516
Wasn't it on "Don Kirschner's Rock Concert"?

In the States, yes. I lived in L.A., and the station made a big deal out of it.
It was advertised a lot. My meomory is I remember seeing in an early evening special edition. They did IORR at the beginning and at the end. I could be completely wrong, but's that's my memory of it. 4 promo clips in 30 minutes.
I seem to remember the same for the ones for GHS.
As I said before, I could be completely wrong, but that's my memory of of it as a 11-12-year old.

Posted by: MizzAmandaJonez ()
Date: February 12, 2014 09:21

Since they keep playing, they should start closing with the song

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 12, 2014 09:28

.....any love ballad that mentions cider vinegar is way-cool ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: February 12, 2014 09:29

this,aint too proud to bed, IORR and then two clips from L&G

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: February 12, 2014 10:42

Lovely song, one of the last times it seems that Jagger sang a wistful ballad with genuine sincerity. Great bit of album sequencing, too, the way it precedes Time Waits For No One, as if the latter is an answer to the former.

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: February 12, 2014 10:55

Never loved this song. Mick's arch vocal "can ya? CAN ya?" Didn't work as well as some of his previous ironic and ambivalent ones. They did assimilate current R&B balladry well enough.

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: February 12, 2014 11:06

Great, hope they will play it live in Europe

Posted by: Deluxtone ()
Date: February 12, 2014 11:38

Angie sounded sincere emotion - and a real jagger voice -

- this one, with his American drawl ' I don't need your fancy food and I don't need your fancy Wy-in' - it's hard to take so seriously in the sincere department because of his american mimickry.

And the lyrics are bit laboured.

Yes, i think a pure Taylor/Jagger song. Nice to have Keith on slide again. First time since Let It Bleed? But that slide guitar sounds so incongruous when it first enters and is a bit at odds with the gentle, wistful tone they are trying to create.

Yes, nice of use Of Nicky, as on Time Waits too, to create the same sonic affect as present on Alladin Sane.

It is so obvious now how Bowie was influencing Jagger in those days.

(But i also suspect that Bowie's Rebel Rebel riff was influenced by that of Dancing with Mr D.)

Posted by: Ket ()
Date: February 12, 2014 11:48

One of their worst songs ever.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: February 12, 2014 11:57

Keith being Brian, Jagger with his new partner Taylor.

Date: February 12, 2014 11:58

Deluxtone

- this one, with his American drawl ' I don't need your fancy food and I don't need your fancy Wy-in' - it's hard to take so seriously in the sincere department because of his american mimickry.

Yes, i think a pure Taylor/Jagger song. Nice to have Keith on slide again. First time since Let It Bleed? But that slide guitar sounds so incongruous when it first enters and is a bit at odds with the gentle, wistful tone they are trying to create.

Yes, nice of use Of Nicky, as on Time Waits too, to create the same sonic affect as present on Alladin Sane.

(But i also suspect that Bowie's Rebel Rebel riff was influenced by that of Dancing with Mr D.)

What about all the "perdys", "tuuyins" and "geeeeeeeeeeet whatcha wants"?

Mick does the american accent in so many songs. Mainly to make the american music sound american, I believe.

"Wiiiild Hoyses couldn't drag me awyyyi" smiling smiley

Date: February 12, 2014 11:59

Meanwhile

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-12 12:02 by Redhotcarpet.

Date: February 12, 2014 12:03

I'm a sucker for iorr including the ballads though.

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: February 12, 2014 13:06

Great ballad, one of their best. Simple melody line with grandness like No Expectations.

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: February 12, 2014 13:08

RobertJohnson
Great ballad, one of their best. Simple melody line with grandness like No Expectations.

+1

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-12 13:08 by 1962.

Date: February 12, 2014 13:31

DandelionPowderman
Deluxtone

What about all the "perdys", "tuuyins" and "geeeeeeeeeeet whatcha wants"?

Mick does the american accent in so many songs. Mainly to make the american music sound american, I believe.

"Wiiiild Hoyses couldn't drag me awyyyi" smiling smiley

Yes, but this one is also musically too melodramtic and Over The Top and somewhat jerky/clumsy.

I'll go for a Sweet Virginia any day - still effectively ameriacn folk - but more effective for Jagger having more of his 'natural' voice. It's th synthesis of 'white' Brits play (essentially 'black' ameriacn R&B/folk) that makes them and great. Also You've Got The Silver.

They don't need to pretend to be american (in accent) to sound authentic.

Date: February 12, 2014 13:37

<Yes, but this one is also musically too melodramtic and Over The Top and somewhat jerky/clumsy.>

I agree totally smiling smiley

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: February 12, 2014 13:38

Defo a good song and it was great to slowly figure out what we were hearing yesterday ;-)

They made very good use of it in the Sweet Summer Sun movie too and I remember being a bit surprised to hear it over the closing credits at the screening. Not sure whose idea it was to include it but Mick clearly liked it, signing off for SSS and rehearsing it yesterday.

Probably a good time to remember the instrumental on the "Nicky Hopkins" tape that sounded like a "preview" of TTNG : [www.iorr.org]

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: February 12, 2014 13:54

gotdablouse
Defo a good song and it was great to slowly figure out what we were hearing yesterday ;-)

They made very good use of it in the Sweet Summer Sun movie too and I remember being a bit surprised to hear it over the closing credits at the screening. Not sure whose idea it was to include it but Mick clearly liked it, signing off for SSS and rehearsing it yesterday.

Probably a good time to remember the instrumental on the "Nicky Hopkins" tape that sounded like a "preview" of TTNG : [www.iorr.org]

I missed that thread, and I've just listened to this "preview". Sometimes, Nicky's playing reminds me more like a mix of Angie with Wild Horses, but it's probably only me who's thinking this.

Date: February 12, 2014 14:04

Redhotcarpet
I'm a sucker for iorr including the ballads though.

Don't get suckered!

Stick with your Meanwhile.

The Meanwhile - I've Got My Own Album To Do - and accompanying gigs- was the True Grit. It wasn't 'only' anything. It was a Real Something.

And a lot less pretentious and pandering than much/most of iorr.
(I love the claustrophobic funk of FF and expansive melodic excursion of TWFNO).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-12 14:07 by Deluxtone.

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: February 12, 2014 15:34

Keith had nothing at all to do with the writing of this song? Do we have a list available of all the Jagger-Taylor songs?

Date: February 12, 2014 15:39

nightskyman
Keith had nothing at all to do with the writing of this song? Do we have a list available of all the Jagger-Taylor songs?

Why do you say that? He plays two of the guitars on the track: the slide guitar and one acoustic.

I haven't heard that he didn't have anything to do with the writing of this one before, but I know Taylor says that he should have had writing credits. That doesn't mean Keith didn't write anything?

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: February 12, 2014 17:10

To make the song-writing issue more complex, Carly Simon claims that he co-wrote it with Jagger during those "You're So Vain" sessions.

Lots of writers in such a simple one-trick ballad... Jagger, Taylor, Simon, probably Richards...grinning smiley

Anyway, I have read it many times that Taylor has claimed credits for it, but I can't recall seeing the actual quote. Could anyone shine a light here?

- Doxa

Posted by: ChefGuevara ()
Date: February 12, 2014 17:18

Will love to hear this one live.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: February 12, 2014 17:26

Awful song.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1654
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home