Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: The Song that Jagger Cannot Sing Live
Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: February 9, 2014 15:24

I don't get a lot of the song acronyms either. Perhaps an abbreviation to indicate you don't understand the abbreviation would be helpful...like, WTFDTM?

Posted by: GOO ()
Date: February 9, 2014 15:29

LIND.......laugh I nearly died

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: February 9, 2014 17:52

latebloomer
I don't get a lot of the song acronyms either. Perhaps an abbreviation to indicate you don't understand the abbreviation would be helpful...like, WTFDTM?

Well this one wasn't difficult for me WTFDTM........grinning smiley

Posted by: rob51 ()
Date: February 24, 2014 06:54

Wow and when I read the headline of this post I was instantly reminded of those tabloid papers you see everywhere. You know like "the baby taschiqua can't ever speak of again" or "Brad Pitts hidden retarded children"???

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 27, 2014 02:46

rollingon
Could somebody make a list of the Stones songs and their abbreviations and this list could be somewhere here in iorr? Just an idea.

I attempt to have full song title and then use abbreviations. Obviously the long song titles, like Can't You Hear Me Knocking, Sympathy For The Devil and You Can't Always Get What You Want are obvious, one would think, as are some other titles such as Jumpin' Jack Flash, Street Fighting Man, Start Me Up, which isn't exactly long, and, what, I dunno... Before They Make Me Run. Perhaps the common core of their catalog, their hits. Many times I've been confused by seeing, for example, WAY only to type in 'what is that?' and find out it's Worried About You...

Those are the few that come to mind anyway. LP title abbreviations are funny. No one should ever doubt what GHS means but ABB is A BIGGER BANG, it's not BB, which is BEGGARS BANQUET, as some people use/call it. The A in A BIGGER BANG is part of the title. BTB is obviosly BRIDGES TO BABYLON. BAB is BLACK AND BLUE.

SG, ER, TY, IORR, EOMS, SF, LIB, DW, VL, GYYYO - or GYYYO! and on...

I've always used U for UNDERCOVER since it's not two words as UC implies. It's not UNDER COVER, it's UNDERCOVER. Which means AFTERMATH would just be A...

Posted by: carlorossi ()
Date: February 27, 2014 02:58

latebloomer

Or perhaps just type out the effing song title. In other words, I'm with you.

Posted by: carlorossi ()
Date: February 27, 2014 02:59

DandelionPowderman
I read an interview with Mick where he said they wouldn't change keys on any song.

They did that, however, back in 73 already - with IAON.

And with It's Only Rock 'n Roll.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: February 27, 2014 03:29

GasLightStreet
BTB is obviosly BRIDGES TO BABYLONA...

In all due respect: I want to suggest something like B(r)TB(a), because to me BTB would already be reserved for BETWEEN THE BUTTONS, with the preference, between the two of them, of having arrived first.

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: February 27, 2014 03:37

Witness
GasLightStreet

In all due respect: I want to suggest something like B(r)TB(a), because to me BTB would already be reserved for BETWEEN THE BUTTONS, with the preference, between the two of them, of having arrived first.

... and being roughly 650% better :-)

Posted by: TDive25 ()
Date: February 27, 2014 03:37

2120 South Michigan Avenue

Date: February 27, 2014 05:05

sonomastone
Witness
I want to suggest something like B(r)TB(a), because to me BTB would already be reserved for BETWEEN THE BUTTONS, with the preference, between the two of them, of having arrived first.

... and being roughly 650% better :-)

I can't abstain:
On the one hand, I have subjectively got a special personal fancy for BETWEEN THE BUTTONS. On the other, I do so much like and admire the experimentalism and adventuralist spirit of BRIDGES TO BABYLON, so great for a latter day Stones album. That album would to me more or less be a prime model, a reference, for a possible new studio album by the band, and what I still long for. In vain, it now may seem.

Date: February 27, 2014 17:57

Miss You live is horrible. The singing , the pace of the song .... everything about the live versions pales in comparison to the studio versions from the outtakes albums.

The only live versions of Miss You (post-1989) which are somewhat tolerable to me are the Licks Tour versions .... even though there are not many of them .... it was only performed at a handful of concerts in 2002 + 2003.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 27, 2014 19:33

Winning Ugly VXII
Miss You live is horrible. The singing , the pace of the song .... everything about the live versions pales in comparison to the studio versions from the outtakes albums.

The only live versions of Miss You (post-1989) which are somewhat tolerable to me are the Licks Tour versions .... even though there are not many of them .... it was only performed at a handful of concerts in 2002 + 2003.

While I'm largely in agreement with you, I must say that Toronto June 6, 2013 was not only a pleasant surprise, but certainly a welcome addition to the evening.

Posted by: steini ()
Date: February 27, 2014 19:41

There is no Stones song that Jagger could not sing.

Date: March 1, 2014 03:38

Witness
GasLightStreet

DAMMIT! I knew there was something about BTB and I could not remember for some inane reason.

You are correct.

How about:

BTB67
BTB97

Date: March 1, 2014 03:39

Rocks Off.

At least since 1972. I thought the VOODOO and LICKS performances were a bit wank vocally. Bandwise they were OK. Nothing great, borderline good.

Somehow they nailed Monkey Man on the same tours.

Posted by: winter ()
Date: March 1, 2014 07:18

GasLightStreet
Witness
GasLightStreet

DAMMIT! I knew there was something about BTB and I could not remember for some inane reason.

You are correct.

How about:

BTB67
BTB97

Here are the most common abbreviations of the "B_" albums I've seen here over the years, listed chronologically:

BH(HT&GG) -Big Hits
BTB -Buttons
BB -Beggar's
B&B -Black n blue
B2B -Bridges
ABB -Bang

Among song abbreviations, "MM" has been the toughest. Is it Monkey Man, Memory Motel, Moonlight Mile, Midnite Mumbler, Miss Me or ??

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: March 1, 2014 10:49

Fair enough he can not reach the broad specter anymore - he is 70. Worried About You sounded stupid, when he tried the high tones / falsetto.

Heard Elton John recently and he neither can reach the high tone. The same goes for Robert Plant, Macca etc.

Date: March 2, 2014 12:38

GasLightStreet
Witness
GasLightStreet

You are correct.

How about:

BTB67
BTB97

Yes, those are logical. However, better still than those, or my own clumsy B(r)TB(a), is the one that Winter in his post brought from his reading:
B2B for the latter title.

Because 2 sounds when read both as to and two at the same time. That is, to is preserved, and we are at the same time told that this is the second BTB there is. Quite elegant!
I'll adopt that one.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1121
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home