Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Excitement out my front door, whales eating dolphins
Posted by: Des ()
Date: February 5, 2014 18:26

I like to think I live in a pretty interesting place in the world, lots of natural beauty and excitement. So I live across the street from the water along the strip of homes you see in the background. I sit on my patio and watch the ferries and bay and park my sailboat here in the summer.

Story is about 200 dolphins cruising the bay when a traveling group of Killer Whales likes the menu, yes they are hunting. There is a nice still photo of a dolphin thrown into the air, blood flying, nature can be cruel. Seals have been known to just jump in boats when the whales are in town.

[www.youtube.com]

Re: OT: Excitement out my front door, whales eating dolphins
Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: February 5, 2014 18:28

I am assuming you don't live in Kansas. Where DO you live?

Date: February 5, 2014 18:32

DaveG

I live in Nanaimo (Nanaimo Bars, dessert), Vancouver Island, west Coast Canada. Nowhere near Mayor Rob Ford (lol).

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: February 5, 2014 18:48

OK, sure, I know where that is. I live near Seattle.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 5, 2014 18:59

Des
DaveG

I live in Nanaimo (Nanaimo Bars, dessert), Vancouver Island, west Coast Canada. Nowhere near Mayor Rob Ford (lol).

You also got some snow yesterday....cold innit?

Saw this orca story on the news hour yesterday...wild

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: February 5, 2014 19:18

Seals have been known to just jump in boats when the whales are in town.

Thats what I would do... well... Id either jump in a boat or a car, probably a car...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-05 19:22 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: February 5, 2014 19:27

Oh, that's so sad...I love dophins. Nature sure can be cruel. sad smiley

Posted by: mighty stork ()
Date: February 5, 2014 19:33

Revenge will be had:

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: February 5, 2014 22:24

On Global News Vancouver they showed the video footage. Said the orcas chasing the dolphins are transient whales and not the local pods that prefer going after salmon and seals. They said it's a good sign that the ecosystem is getting better since dolphins weren't that common in the Georgia Straight not too long ago and there's more seals so lots of food for the orcas!
There were even orcas spotted in Vancouver harbour last year which is rare but may become more common!

Date: February 5, 2014 23:20

Oh the times have changed. Just outside the bay in question an elementary school buddy lived on the ocean. A resident pond resided off the point and we could bounce pebbles off their backs, I'm not sure why they left?

Orcas are funny, hunting appears brutal, yet very social. On the west coast of the island one they named Luna got isolated and lived alone in an inlet and made freinds with boaters (see youtube). The funniest story I heard was from a guy showing pictures of fishing the area. The guy at the stern is baiting up and says he wonders if Luna will show up, the guy at the bow (story teller) is picking up his camera and casualy says "yup, take a look at your left elbow" (which was hanging over the boat). Luna's mouth was 4 inches from his elbow and he did not even hear it coming, great photos though!

[www.youtube.com]

Date: February 5, 2014 23:50

DGA35
On Global News Vancouver they showed the video footage. Said the orcas chasing the dolphins are transient whales and not the local pods that prefer going after salmon and seals. They said it's a good sign that the ecosystem is getting better since dolphins weren't that common in the Georgia Straight not too long ago and there's more seals so lots of food for the orcas!
There were even orcas spotted in Vancouver harbour last year which is rare but may become more common!

I'm not so sure we'd have agreement from the Dolphins this is all that great!

Saw the same story as you yesterday.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: February 6, 2014 01:24

Off topic--
from my trip to Key West two weeks ago.

"Yippee!"

I like to think he was as excited to see me as I was to see him. Wish I lived where you do, Des (well, except for the cold weather!)

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: February 6, 2014 06:33

Aquamarine
Off topic--
from my trip to Key West two weeks ago.

"Yippee!"

I like to think he was as excited to see me as I was to see him. Wish I lived where you do, Des (well, except for the cold weather!)

THAT... is a GREAT picture,

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: February 6, 2014 09:58

Thanks, Max!

Date: February 6, 2014 18:49

treaclefingers
DGA35

You may favor the cute dolphin, but remember they say it means a heathly ecosystem. So if we want to ask the sea creatures we should include hearring and other dolphin food, and so on down the food chain. Just remember humans are not at the top of the food chain (lol), we can't speak.

Date: February 6, 2014 19:16

Des
treaclefingers
DGA35

You may favor the cute dolphin, but remember they say it means a heathly ecosystem. So if we want to ask the sea creatures we should include hearring and other dolphin food, and so on down the food chain. Just remember humans are not at the top of the food chain (lol), we can't speak.

I do favour the cute dolphin. If only we could train the Orca to eat canned tuna.

Date: February 6, 2014 20:19

Hey Treaclefingers,just make sure the canned tuna is dolphin friendly!

Date: February 6, 2014 21:47

DGA35
Hey Treaclefingers,just make sure the canned tuna is dolphin friendly!

Good 'catch'!

I recognized the irony in what I typed, as I was typing it!

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: February 6, 2014 21:56

treaclefingers
Des
DaveG

Cold???

Ottawa says "b!&$# PLEASE"! lol

[thepowergoats.com]

Date: February 7, 2014 00:08

jamesfdouglas
treaclefingers
Des
DaveG

Cold???

Ottawa says "b!&$# PLEASE"! lol

Ya, I was going to say something about that. Man we have been watching the news about the east and just shaking our heads. For you Americans that think Canada is a winter wonderland, the west coast is up wind of all those nasty highs, Oh...new weather term this year....Arctic Vortex? There is no way I would live east of The Rockies including the east central and north east coast of the US.

But if I were a whiner I might bitch, I choose to gloat (lol) in the land where Orcas enjoy a tasty dolphin on a sunny day, with a slight nip in the air.

Date: February 7, 2014 02:15

But there's a chance of snow this (BC) long weekend in the lower mainland. Arctic winds have really been blowing throughout the Fraser Valley the past few days!

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: February 7, 2014 06:34

DGA35
But there's a chance of snow this (BC) long weekend in the lower mainland. Arctic winds have really been blowing throughout the Fraser Valley the past few days!

It is mighty cold in Seattle. They are babbling about snow as soon as tomorrow.

Date: February 7, 2014 09:09

Hey,cr, in Seattle it was Seahawks eating Broncos!! I wonder if those transient pods will swim down into Puget Sound, too? Guess they just follow the food sources.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: February 7, 2014 10:54

DGA35
Hey,cr, in Seattle it was Seahawks eating Broncos!! I wonder if those transient pods will swim down into Puget Sound, too? Guess they just follow the food sources.

They do. I live on hillside overlooking Puget Sound. There have been whales many times.

Date: February 7, 2014 23:31

The sound has it's own resident pod(s) but this transient pod travels up and down the coast. I wonder if there's any conflict between different pods?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1760
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home