Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Brighton '71 Reports
Posted by: smokeydusky ()
Date: January 30, 2014 06:56

[www.mybrightonandhove.org.uk]

Article, pix and this:

... But there was another person who worked up in the lighting booth who did a very good sound recording of the show, and traded around a few 1/4 open reel copies with friends. I'd love to find a copy of THAT! Any leads, anyone?
By Michael McNamara (25/05/2012)

I seem to remember this was one of their concerts to promote Sticky Fingers. I specifically remember them playing Wild Horses ...
By David Ingles (08/06/2013)

Re: Brighton '71 Reports
Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: January 30, 2014 07:28

smokeydusky

Article, pix and this:

... But there was another person who worked up in the lighting booth who did a very good sound recording of the show, and traded around a few 1/4 open reel copies with friends. I'd love to find a copy of THAT! Any leads, anyone?
By Michael McNamara (25/05/2012)

The same guy actually had those tapes, but he lost it.

Had a bootleg tape of the Stones' show that has long since sadly gone missing!
By Michael McNamara (31/01/2010)

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: January 30, 2014 08:50

Wow!

I was there as well. It was one of the shows on the "Farewell" tour before they left for the South of France.

Picking up some bits from the (must read) comments...

The person who says she was "sitting" is wrong. It was a standing only show.

The floor was indeed "bouncing" - but that is what it was supposed to do. The venue (The Big Apple) was originally built as a 1920's dance hall above a cinema - hence the sprung floor.

It was **crowded** and **hot**. The charming young lady I was with fainted, but it was too crowded for her to fall down!

I remember in the concert being absolutely fascinated by the fact that everyone took their lead from Keith.

I too got my tickets by queuing all night outside a small record store. Thereby missing my only chance to see The Kinks who were on in the town that night. But I did get, and have still got, two great tour posters.

The venue was above an old cinema. When it was all demolished a few years later we spotted a great, really old, poster for a Mary Pickford movie still on a wall.

The demolition greatly vexed Richard Branson. At the time (very early 70s) he was just starting up the Virgin Record stores - moving on from mail order only - and he had a fab groovy shop (bean bags to sit on and listen to albums through headphones etc) in the next building. Unfortunately that was also due to be knocked down and he'd signed a lease without realising that. Obviously he could not stop it and the store moved across the road to a really boring and dull second rate spot. Any Brighton residents reading this may care to know it's where Boots is at the Clock Tower.

And, of Branson... He knew the charming young lady I was with and would do anything for her. So I asked her to get hold of one of the Sticky Fingers stand ups... still got that as well.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: smokeydusky ()
Date: January 30, 2014 10:34

Cristiano Radtke
The same guy actually had those tapes, but he lost it.
Had a bootleg tape of the Stones' show that has long since sadly gone missing!
By Michael McNamara (31/01/2010)

Since the open reel tapes were "traded around" perhaps a few inquiries in Brighton will locate one of the copies.

Cap, might you know someone?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2046
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home