Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: Is ROCK MUSIC really fading away??
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 29, 2014 16:43

latebloomer
DandelionPowderman
We won't get our lives turned by musicians from several generations. We grow too old, and like our parents we can't stand what our kids are listening to.

Nothing new there...

I like a lot of what my kids listen to...it's mostly forgettable pop, but so is a lot of what I listened to at their age. And, some of it is actually really good. Still, I like the music I grew up with best, and I expect they will feel the same way someday.

I doubt very much that when your kids grow up they'll like the music you grew up with the best...just sayin'

Date: January 29, 2014 16:46

I think it already has faded to a large extent, and morphed into a couple of dozen sub genre's.

It will never go away though, just like fold, jazz, blues, or classical music have never disappeared. It just isn't the dominant genre any more.

Date: January 29, 2014 16:47

Fold, in particular, will stay...

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: January 29, 2014 16:49

My my, hey hey
Rock and roll is here to stay

Hey hey, my my
Rock and roll can never die

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: January 29, 2014 18:50

DandelionPowderman
Fold, in particular, will stay...

Only if you do it the right way, if it creases in the wrong place you have to fold it all over again.

Date: January 29, 2014 20:07

grinning smiley

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: January 29, 2014 20:10

Max'sKansasCity
BluzDude
Max'sKansasCity

The shammys are

I didnt watch the shammys, .

Ya, that's a good name for it, or as my buddy Rick the Bass Player calls it...The crappy's
Is that Joe Walsh's buddy too... or am I thinking of Neil Young?

Both!

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: January 29, 2014 22:09

I was listening to a homemade Rockabilly 'greatest hits' CD on the way home last night and the thought hit me again about the British Invasion. It is indeed quite possible that rock and roll would have been a passing fad, as its detractors predicted, if the music hadn't landed and fermented in England and came charging back to America.

There's no indication that a parallel universe was happening in the States to revive rock and roll. Most later American Bands, including Springsteen and Tom Petty, cite the Beatles on Ed Sullivan making them pick up a guitar.

Rock and Roll had a much bigger after life than it probably should have. And the dominance of catering to (us) baby boomers kept it on life support long after we should have moved on. The music is now where it should be, a few old timers still kicking it around. Look at the charts. Young people aren't buying rock and roll. They like their little Katy Perry numbers. It seems all the great production is going into this type of commercial music than into rock and roll.

So what if rock music is really fading away? It's almost as if the next musical movement can't happen until it does. No one can take away the recordings we already have and there's plenty of them. The Rolling Stones are more an ambassador of a certain time and music rather than being a vital creative force. So....on with the new.

Posted by: LastStopThisTown ()
Date: January 29, 2014 22:16

I'm not sure the Grammies are a good barometer for the good stuff out there....
I really like the stuff My Morning Jacket are doing, Black Keys, etc,. Award shows are usually pretty mainstream and controlled very much so by music companies. So what you end up with is a lot of backslapping of mediocrity.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: January 29, 2014 22:22

People's taste in music (Including the young kids) is often surprising and eclectic.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2014-01-29 22:40 by ryanpow.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: January 29, 2014 23:39

Was in the record shop today buying up some individual Beatles Capitol reissue CDs while they're still on sale, and they had this band's album playing in the store: Young the Giant with their second album, Mind Over Matter. I thought that what I heard was pretty good, and I hadn't heard of them before. [www.youngthegiant.com]

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: January 29, 2014 23:41

treaclefingers
latebloomer
DandelionPowderman
We won't get our lives turned by musicians from several generations. We grow too old, and like our parents we can't stand what our kids are listening to.

Nothing new there...

I like a lot of what my kids listen to...it's mostly forgettable pop, but so is a lot of what I listened to at their age. And, some of it is actually really good. Still, I like the music I grew up with best, and I expect they will feel the same way someday.

I doubt very much that when your kids grow up they'll like the music you grew up with the best...just sayin'

Not so sure about that. Been to any high school or college sporting events (in the US) lately? Not only are they playing classic rock (60s thru 90s) on the PA systems and singing along with it...but the Pep bands are learning it and playing it. Sure..there's some Kati Perry and Miley Cyrus too but...there's also Stones, Led Zep, Aerosmith etc....

Also lots of kids (12-25yrs) at classic rock concerts.

They've all discovered their parents record/cd collection.

IORR............but I like it!

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: January 29, 2014 23:49

stonehearted
Was in the record shop today buying up some individual Beatles Capitol reissue CDs while they're still on sale, and they had this band's album playing in the store: Young the Giant with their second album, Mind Over Matter. I thought that what I heard was pretty good, and I hadn't heard of them before. [www.youngthegiant.com]

Was in a music/dvd store recently and they were playing in-store music...and it was really good...almost sounded like a new version of '60s era Stones.
I eagerly asked the guy at the counter..."who is this band..?....they sound like early Stones...sounds good." all i got was a grunt and an "i don't know."

I regret not looking into it further. oh well...maybe i'll hear it again.

IORR............but I like it!

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: January 29, 2014 23:52

ryanpow
People's taste in music (Including the young kids) is often surprising and eclectic.

Indeed.

Date: January 30, 2014 00:16

sweet neo con
stonehearted

Was in a music/dvd store recently and they were playing in-store music...and it was really good...almost sounded like a new version of '60s era Stones.
I eagerly asked the guy at the counter..."who is this band..?....they sound like early Stones...sounds good." all i got was a grunt and an "i don't know."

I regret not looking into it further. oh well...maybe i'll hear it again.

Sorry to hear that. It must have been one of those big chain/mall-type outlets with "lifer" hacks behind the counter who aren't really into music and work there just because it's a job that they need.

The place I was in today was called Newbury Comics, which is a chain, but which is mainly confined to the New England states of the U.S. This was the flagship store on Newbury Street in Boston, which is right around the corner from Berklee College of Music. This Newbury Comics store is always staffed with enthusiastic young musician types who never seem to work there for too long, certainly not to make a career out of retail, and I never fail to get a detailed response from someone behind the counter about what's being played, if I'm inclined to ask. Hope you have better luck in a music shop staffed by people who actually like music.

Got a great deal this weekend at that very store. On Sunday I was buying individual Beatles Capitol CD reissues and they had a buy 2 get 1 free CD sale going on that very day. I was standing in line and the young dude who today answered my query about the CD they were playing in-store stopped to talk to me when he noticed I was holding CDs. "Hey, how many CDs you have there?" "Two," I replied. "If you're buying two, the third one's free." "Wow, thanks!" "No worries, man." So, with the CDs already on sale for $12.88 (from the usual list price of $16.99 and $17.99), I got a Rubber Soul reissue for free. Can't beat that. And only because someone who worked there took the time to bother mentioning it. Like I say, when the chains get too big, the service can get shoddy.

Date: January 30, 2014 00:18

An answer ramdomly chosen among thousands of videos...

I do not understand it......I am too olddddddd grinning smiley

Date: January 30, 2014 00:52

sweet neo con
treaclefingers
latebloomer
DandelionPowderman

Nothing new there...

Not so sure about that. Been to any high school or college sporting events (in the US) lately? Not only are they playing classic rock (60s thru 90s) on the PA systems and singing along with it...but the Pep bands are learning it and playing it. Sure..there's some Kati Perry and Miley Cyrus too but...there's also Stones, Led Zep, Aerosmith etc....

Also lots of kids (12-25yrs) at classic rock concerts.

They've all discovered their parents record/cd collection.

Yeah I agree...I was only kidding. That said sadly rock is certainly not mainstream any longer...at least new music that is selling.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: January 30, 2014 00:59

as to the above comment....in the 60's and 70's, it was our parents music of the 40's and 50's that you heard at sporting events, etc.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: January 30, 2014 01:02

BluzDude
Max'sKansasCity
BluzDude
Max'sKansasCity

The shammys are

I didnt watch the shammys, .

Ya, that's a good name for it, or as my buddy Rick the Bass Player calls it...The crappy's
Is that Joe Walsh's buddy too... or am I thinking of Neil Young?

Both!
smileys with beer
BOTH is one of the best answers of all time.

Would you like Steak or lobster? BOTH

Blonde or Brunette? Porsche or Ferrari? Ginger or Mary Ann? BOTH!!!

Posted by: rob51 ()
Date: January 30, 2014 06:02

Love Alabama Shakes as a relatively new band. Only been around since 2009 or so and play some truely good tunes. Still when you think of what people such as the Stones or The Band once put out you can't help thinking it's been over for a while. And who's been really hot in the old sense of the word since I would say perhaps Guns And Roses as far as straight ahead rnr bands are concerned? Kid Rock just doesn't cut it for me and the Black Crows aren't young anymore either. A shame but life go's on.

Posted by: Bellajane ()
Date: January 30, 2014 17:51

rob51
Love Alabama Shakes as a relatively new band. Only been around since 2009 or so and play some truely good tunes. Still when you think of what people such as the Stones or The Band once put out you can't help thinking it's been over for a while. And who's been really hot in the old sense of the word since I would say perhaps Guns And Roses as far as straight ahead rnr bands are concerned? Kid Rock just doesn't cut it for me and the Black Crows aren't young anymore either. A shame but life go's on.

Alabama Shakes are great. Saw them at Glastonbury (on tv) this summer and I was very impressed.

Well...according to Lester Bangs who was portrayed by Philip Seymour Hoffman in the movie "Almost Famous"...rock music died in 1968!!! I don't believe it.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: January 30, 2014 17:54

I don't, either.

Saw Alabama Shakes 7 or 8 times as a support band, they killed every time. smiling smiley

Posted by: Carnaby ()
Date: January 30, 2014 18:38

I guess it is fading away if iorr.org just closed and deleted the Favorite Song of the Fifties thread. Though it was not a thread started by me, I feel it is ridiculous to think Fifties Rock n Roll isn't apropos to the Stones.

Posted by: Shantipole ()
Date: January 30, 2014 19:53

There are tons of great bands out there! Rock and roll is not fading away but it is definitely being shoved into the mainstream background. You have to look for them but there is a lot of great music out there and more is being made all the time. I play stuff on my show that could easily slot into any commercial rock radio playlist if only rock radio wasn't so bloody lazy!

Mark
The Rock and Roll Report
www.rockandrollreport.com
"Where Rock and Roll is still an adventure!"

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: January 30, 2014 21:04

Also Little Steven's Underground Garage. The best of the old AND the new. In fact, the best, period. (Sorry, Mark, I haven't heard your show, I'm sure it's also right up there!)

Posted by: MisterO ()
Date: January 31, 2014 01:15

Rock or guitar music has been in a coma for long long time now. Once in a while there looks like there is a sign of life but in the end we know we were just hoping against hope.

There has only been a small hand full of Rock music that has really turned me on in the last 30 years.

In my opinion the best music was recorded in the 50's,60's and 70's. That was the golden era. I wish it were not true, I wish there was nothing in the world more important than hearing "_____'s" new song on the radio. I wish that when I picked up my guitar I could play something kick ass that "just came out" instead of hearing my wife tease me with "Were going back into the time capsule". But , like most wishes...they don't come true.

I think the beginning of the end was when MTV came out. Before that you had to go to a concert to see a band perform. It really took the mystery out and changed everything.

Date: January 31, 2014 02:15

It's ironic that a culture that endlessly celebrates musical revolutions like the Beatles and et al., which made it easier in the long run for artists to become independent and established, also in current practice makes it next to impossible for creative musicians to thrive.

It's the stifling vise-like grip of The Corporation that makes it appear that particular genres of music are extinct.

Guitar shops still do good business--it's the industry-wide Walt Disney-style corporate radio programming that's in a coma.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: January 31, 2014 03:25

I don't care what anybody says, 99% of today's rock musicians are not doing anything new. They're not taking the root blues and expanding it to anything beyond what's already been done. So what's the point? If you're not going to take the music into new territory then you're just getting deeper and deeper into a rut.

This retro crap started with the Black Crowes. Unlike past groups, like the Stones, who took what came before them and blew it up, today's artists are lazy and content to diddle around with something approximating 1/10th of what occurred 50 years ago. Get them some flannel shirts and a few days growth of beard and they think they're rock and roll.

This is not old fart talk. Old fart talk would make fun of music they don't understand. I understand perfectly what modern rockers are doing, and it's pussy music. They're upsetting their elders because they expected more. I guess they figured the only way to rebel was to make lame music while thinking they were hip.

Posted by: Carnaby ()
Date: January 31, 2014 03:50

24FPS
I don't care what anybody says, 99% of today's rock musicians are not doing anything new. They're not taking the root blues and expanding it to anything beyond what's already been done. So what's the point? If you're not going to take the music into new territory then you're just getting deeper and deeper into a rut.

This retro crap started with the Black Crowes. Unlike past groups, like the Stones, who took what came before them and blew it up, today's artists are lazy and content to diddle around with something approximating 1/10th of what occurred 50 years ago. Get them some flannel shirts and a few days growth of beard and they think they're rock and roll.

This is not old fart talk. Old fart talk would make fun of music they don't understand. I understand perfectly what modern rockers are doing, and it's pussy music. They're upsetting their elders because they expected more. I guess they figured the only way to rebel was to make lame music while thinking they were hip.

Yes and no. It was once said of Dave Edmunds not to expect anything new from Dave because he likes rock n roll just the way it is. If you alter rock n roll (not rock; rock n roll), you no longer have rock n roll or the blues or rhythm n blues like the Stones, you then have jazz rock or punk rock or country rock or any other label you want to give it. I guess it has to be Chuck Berry pure. As far as clothing and hair, I prefer the Small Faces look, but different regions prefer different style. In any event, a band should learn from the original Masters, not from a band (Stones included) who is doing the music of the Masters. Don't learn it from the Stones, take it from the guys who turned on the Stones. Finally, youth itself can make Retro new again, ala the Strypes.

Posted by: MisterO ()
Date: January 31, 2014 04:40

I hear what your saying 24 and I agree with a lot of it..

But lets take a step back and think about then and now.

Back then the electric guitar was new. Amplification and effects were new. Then you had the British invasion, the counter culture with hippies and long hair...all that was brand new and thats just skimming the surface.

The kids now want something new of their own. The bloke with the guitar around his neck and the cigarette dangling in his mouth is played out.

How many times can something be watered down?

Rock has fallen out of fashion. I think the kids of today look at the still touring acts like the Stones and Areosmith and think "look at these ridiculous old fart hippies". Rock has become old fashion. Back in the day they were the bad boys, now they representatives of music of a by-gone era.

Technology has changed and now its a different electronic music the youth are listening too.

Before the television was invented people had to go out to the movies or to the taverns or to the ball game ect ect...After the television it changed society and were going through some similar now with the internet.

Ah, let me stop...I'm starting to ramble......But yeah I'm angry too, but at the same time I'm grateful for all the amazing music of that by gone era that has enriched my life.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1130
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home