Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
Is ROCK MUSIC really fading away??
Posted by: DrPete ()
Date: January 28, 2014 04:29

Watching the Grammy's last night made me realize that there has been no real new ROCK BANDS to be popular since Nirvana. Every ROCK performer honored or on the show has been around a minimum of 20 years ( QOTSA might be a little less). Even when it comes to my favorite underground bands have been around that long. Actually just bought great new cds from The Supersuckers, Rev Horten Heat, Nashville Pussy, and Nicke Andersen (Hellacopters). ALL been around at least 20 years! GUESS I'm just old but there's gotta be some new, great ROCK bands somewhere!

Re: Is ROCK MUSIC really fading away??
Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: January 28, 2014 04:39

Listen to what John Lydon said in the mid-1990s about young bands really being "up against it" because of how the industry wants to control artists rather than artists controlling the industry. The industry doesn't want another Sex Pistols, or another musical revolution, it wants control, and making it seem like Walt Disney has taken over all the remaining record companies is the best way to do that. The problem really began escalating in the early 80s, with the rise of "corporate rock" and MTV.

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: January 28, 2014 04:53

Rock bands are still around and kicking. Just ignore the stupid Grammy stuff. Not a good indicator!!

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: January 28, 2014 04:57

Rock bands are around, but they are not in the mainstream and you really have to search for them.

Thats the answer you're gonna get, and technically its true. Although I'm pretty much in the camp that its dead. There's nothing as original or mind blowing as a new Zeppelin or a new Stones. Truly the only modern day rock band I love are Foo Fighters, and even that I know is nowhere close to the legends. Its just the only thing around these days.

Posted by: mighty stork ()
Date: January 28, 2014 05:32

stonehearted
Listen to what John Lydon said in the mid-1990s about young bands really being "up against it" because of how the industry wants to control artists rather than artists controlling the industry. The industry doesn't want another Sex Pistols, or another musical revolution, it wants control, and making it seem like Walt Disney has taken over all the remaining record companies is the best way to do that. The problem really began escalating in the early 80s, with the rise of "corporate rock" and MTV.

Well they did take Punk and softened it up and repackaged it as New Wave.

Posted by: nonfilter ()
Date: January 28, 2014 06:27

The Black Keys are probably my favorite current rock band that comes close to the main stream. Guns and Roses and Nirvana were the last big ones. Nirvana spawned a big group of follow ups in the early to mid 90s. Nickelback killed what Nirvana started. I like The Foo Fighters, but they aren't putting hit singles in the top ten. Rock music is wide open for a band to really kick the music industry in the ass. I also got a little depressed watching the Grammys. I'm, very sadly, more interested in current rap music than any current rock music. At least those guys have some lyrical talent. Somebody needs to come along with rock music you can dance to again. Try to dance to 3 Doors Down. Can't be done. It started out as black music, and turned into heavy depressing music.

[www.non-filters.com]

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: January 28, 2014 07:31

It's a rhetorical question. Of course rock and roll is fading away. It's been on borrowed time since Kurt blew his brains out 20 years ago. Hell, if the Brit Invasion hadn't happened rock and roll might be remembered today as a novelty music from the 1950s. How long is it supposed to go on? It reached such a zenith with Led Zeppelin, the Beatles and, Hendrix, that it has nowhere to go. You'd have to start up at that level and take it from there.

It's a strange fluke that some foreign, English speaking country got obsessed with music Americans invented and had moved on from. Who knows if Dylan would have even bothered to go electric without the Beatles.

What's sad is there were a couple rappers on a talk show tonight complaining that there should be more rap artists in Rock & Roll Hall of Fame. One of them was saying that Kanye is a genius and will definitely be in one day. I think that's BS. Having Grandmaster Flash and Run DMC is enough. Rap is not rock and roll. Of course neither is a lot of music in the R&RHOF. Billy Joel? Madonna? Pop Music HOF, but not R&R.

Personally I don't care for most modern rockers. Even the Black Keys ain't that great. And it's all very weak compared to the good stuff. That's why I see this as a great time to open the rock and roll vaults and dig out all the good stuff we can. We're the generation that grew up on it and bought all those albums and made it possible. Younger generations need to come up with something new instead of just regurgitating bland versions of music that already happened. I feel very sad for them that they won't have very much worthwhile music from their time to remember when they're old.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-01-28 07:56 by 24FPS.

Posted by: Stoner72 ()
Date: January 28, 2014 07:36

Yes. But it'll take awhile.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: January 28, 2014 08:49

24FPS
It's a rhetorical question. Of course rock and roll is fading away. It's been on borrowed time since Kurt blew his brains out 20 years ago. Hell, if the Brit Invasion hadn't happened rock and roll might be remembered today as a novelty music from the 1950s. How long is it supposed to go on? It reached such a zenith with Led Zeppelin, the Beatles and, Hendrix, that it has nowhere to go. You'd have to start up at that level and take it from there.

It's a strange fluke that some foreign, English speaking country got obsessed with music Americans invented and had moved on from. Who knows if Dylan would have even bothered to go electric without the Beatles.

What's sad is there were a couple rappers on a talk show tonight complaining that there should be more rap artists in Rock & Roll Hall of Fame. One of them was saying that Kanye is a genius and will definitely be in one day. I think that's BS. Having Grandmaster Flash and Run DMC is enough. Rap is not rock and roll. Of course neither is a lot of music in the R&RHOF. Billy Joel? Madonna? Pop Music HOF, but not R&R.

Personally I don't care for most modern rockers. Even the Black Keys ain't that great. And it's all very weak compared to the good stuff. That's why I see this as a great time to open the rock and roll vaults and dig out all the good stuff we can. We're the generation that grew up on it and bought all those albums and made it possible. Younger generations need to come up with something new instead of just regurgitating bland versions of music that already happened. I feel very sad for them that they won't have very much worthwhile music from their time to remember when they're old.

Yes they will - but it won't be anything that our generation will recognise as worthwhile right now. I think Rock as a mainstream style has had its day, at least for the time being (and even Rock is not rock and roll). Maybe a few years down the line, it will get rediscovered, the way that elements of 1940s/1950s big band style are finding their way back into some present-day popular music, but it's becoming a classic style (like everyone recognises that Mozart was great, but nobody actually writes in that style now). And nonfilter is right - whatever's next, we always need something you can dance to.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: January 28, 2014 09:29

24FPS
Of course rock and roll is fading away.

Utter tosh, my dear 24FPS.

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: January 28, 2014 10:59

There will always be a need for live bands with Rock- Soul- funk and psychedelic influences and in the smaller clubs, I'll see plenty of new bands that are rewarding.

Kadavar from Berlin-Black Sun.

Posted by: Grison ()
Date: January 28, 2014 11:33

Rockmusic ist not fading away, but it has become that classical touch as so many great artists have passed away and are not longer with us. We should not forget that Rockmusic came up at a time with new ideas about life, culture and the tense political situation of the iron curtain.
Of course there are great musicians out there even today, but they have to clearly show their evidence with a new style and not to cope or remain in rockmusic which will only be a repetition. The main factor today is: To many nonartists try to gain or make big money on artists and tell them how to move for the mainstream. I mean I do not support Justin Bieber, but isn't he now revolting and doing a little bit the same obnoxious things the Stones or other people did in the 60ies early 70ies. Today every artist should be straight clean like a priest. How can we expect that this situation will create any new ideas.

This is why most of the remaining musicians of the 70ies/60ies are still much better today even with athritis in their hands than most of the bebop kiddies around the blockcool smiley

Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: January 28, 2014 11:46

I think that groing up in the 70's spoiled me but it is just criminal to compare. When in one year you could attend to concers of (and all in their peak) the Stones Zep, Pink Floyd, Bowie, Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, Rod Stewart, Yes, Genesis, Tull,new comers like Queen and Aerosmith...And I am not talking about Macca, Elton John the Doobie Bros, the Eagles and the list is so long. Some you like some you don't but you can't argue that there was some musicianship and creativity then.

Just not fair.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: January 28, 2014 12:04

Not really! I'll always catch up a couple of new good rock-bands each and every year...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: January 28, 2014 12:09

No, rock is not dead or fading away.

The shammys are as big of a of a joke as Honey boo boo, American Idol, the Kardashians, Jimmy Fallon, Duck Dynasty and most of TV these days. I wouldnt watch that crap if you paid me to.

You can still find good rock bands, you just have to look.

I didnt watch the shammys, but I am forced to hear about them... and it seems for all anyones knows it was Milli and Vanilli wearing those stupid masks by the two people who won SUPPOSEDLY BEST ALBUM... WHAT KIND OF JOKE IS THAT?

It is like the shammys changed the rules to not risk that type of embarrassment again.... it no longer matters who or what is really making the sounds. They dont care about who is really playing or singing.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2014-01-28 13:15 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: wolfmeister ()
Date: January 28, 2014 14:41

hmm.

yes rock is fading away, in as much as it is no longer the music of the street in the west.

there will alway be 'some' interesting rock bands, but if you listen - i dare you - to a list of rock top-sellers from last year you will hear the formula now used to write 'rock' songs

every one is almost the same - ostinato based hooks - the traditional structural approach to writing has pretty much gone now

metal is a whole other story - it has a well connected global fan base who spread the word of good new acts fast... but that genre too has become tired and formulaic. almost every 'metal' band sounds the same, looks the same... cliche upon cliche

but it's the same with rap, it too has crawled up it's own arsehole, and now is just tired and rinsed

business has so segregated genres into small boxes that now you must - it seems - stick to the formula for each genre and that formula becomes increasingly strict and defined... outside of it you cannot stray much at all.

sad times, but corporate business pretty much destroys everything it touches.

oh and btw, it didnt end with nirvana. in uk OASIS WAS the last big british working-class rock band that could sell out stadiums alone, but they didnt crack the usa.

to me they were the last 'big' rock band we had here in uk

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-01-28 14:55 by wolfmeister.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: January 28, 2014 15:24

nonfilter
T Somebody needs to come along with rock music you can dance to again. It started out as black music, and turned into heavy depressing music.

[www.non-filters.com]

100% right!

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: January 28, 2014 15:44

the further it gets from blues and r&b, and the bigger the tours get regarding venues like stadiums, the more it loses its power, which is in improvisation and humor and danceability..

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: January 28, 2014 15:51

Dying? Maybe, but there is still a lot of rock n' roll being made.

It just isn't mainstream. So you have to dig a little. Which I like doing and find more rewarding.

Posted by: seitan ()
Date: January 28, 2014 16:25

Nothing wrong with rock music these days. there's million great new bands out there...It's not dying. Its doing great.

This thread seems to be old farts complaining about not being in touch with what kids are doing thread, cause they have become too old.

You guys are just too old, way too ooooooold !! and lame, - youre not young anymore, should go to retirement home, now.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-01-28 16:41 by seitan.

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: January 28, 2014 16:27

The post war boom in rock n roll was due to the post war baby boom and the ensuing population bulge in white babies. Back then the USA was 90% white. There were more children per family. These teeming masses of turbulent white teenagers propelled the rock revolution. Each teen had millions of peers. Plus advertizers eager to cater to them and sell stuff to them.

Today the percentage of white teens is smaller as the USA becomes multicultural. The music of teens today reflects this diversity so rock is down and rap is up. Spanish language radio stations expand and take over old classic rock stations.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: January 28, 2014 16:43

Many of the performers were in their 40's (Nine Inch Nails, Billie Joe Armstrong, Daft Punk) or older. But, there is great rock being made by younger artists. Rock has had an amazing (unprecedented) run - the Stones headlining Glastonbury? In terms of age, that would be like the Benny Goodman Orchestra headlining Woodstock.

Posted by: seitan ()
Date: January 28, 2014 16:43

when did middle aged men understand what young kids were doing ? Never.

Posted by: R ()
Date: January 28, 2014 16:49

Rock surely seems to be dying for me. I'll be 57 in a few months but I still buy records and go to shows...when there ARE shows. I live in healthy, medium-sized Midwestern town. Our state of the art 12,000 seat arena is five minutes from my house but I haven't been to a show there since last June when RUSH was in town. We get Katy Perry and Bruno Mars and all of those interchangeable country guys'n'gals but there's simply no major rock acts on the road in the US anymore. Many of the big bands (Springsteen, Metallica, 'Maiden, Aerosmith, prefer to make stupidly big money playing European and South American festivals and stadiums. I can't blame them, I guess but it's frustrating.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: January 28, 2014 16:57

Everything fades away. Why should rock music be excluded?

Posted by: mighty stork ()
Date: January 28, 2014 17:17

Elmo Lewis
nonfilter
T Somebody needs to come along with rock music you can dance to again. It started out as black music, and turned into heavy depressing music.

[www.non-filters.com]

100% right!

Not 100% because some great rock music isn't necessarily great to dance to but does make you stomp your foot or move your head to the beat.

Posted by: deeppurple ()
Date: January 28, 2014 17:47

Rock is fading here in the States, yes. Eastern Europe and the Pacific Rim are doing well. Look at all Rock acts touring Australia at the moment. It's their summer, down under. Eastern Europe is like the US back in the '70s. It was like Beatle mania when Deep Purple played the country of Georgia last year. In a recent article on the state of R&R, groups like The Red Hot Chili Peppers mentioned that over 75% of their earning were from over seas. Look at Bruce Springsteen, Metallica among others. They are touring as much if not more outside the US. Groups like Deep Purple, UFO, Michael Schenker Band rarely tour here anymore. When they do it's the NE and the West Coast only. Take a look at the Festivals in the UK and Europe every summer. It has become a family affair. People come and camp out. Steve Morse (Dixie Dregs, Kansas, DP) mention in a interview about how well organize the festivals were. Pick any UK Rock magazine and look at all the concerts in just one week. The UK is smaller than Texas. Back in the '70s I had to decide who NOT to see. Today, I am happy just to fine a great show. I only went to 4 shows last year. My lowest amount since '69. As for Rap, very little interest out side the US. Kanye West's last album here went to #1 in 3 charts. Our seas? Try looking at DP latest. In the Top Ten in most countries. Here? Something like #130. Yes, Rock is fading, here, but not Canada. Deep Purple has played more dates their than here since '07. Black Sabbath will return in April for 12 more dates in North America. 10 in the great white north, 2 here. Remember Nazareth? Before their singer became ill, they were doing a summer tour in Canada every year. No dates, here. Sign of the times. Plus, great Rock groups that never get any air play here. Any one remember Gotthard?

Posted by: michaelsavage ()
Date: January 28, 2014 18:01

DrPete
Watching the Grammy's last night made me realize that there has been no real new ROCK BANDS to be popular since Nirvana. Every ROCK performer honored or on the show has been around a minimum of 20 years ( QOTSA might be a little less). Even when it comes to my favorite underground bands have been around that long. Actually just bought great new cds from The Supersuckers, Rev Horten Heat, Nashville Pussy, and Nicke Andersen (Hellacopters). ALL been around at least 20 years! GUESS I'm just old but there's gotta be some new, great ROCK bands somewhere!

If you watched the show you saw there was zero talent. That says it all about rock music. Sad but true.

Posted by: lettingitbleed ()
Date: January 28, 2014 18:22

kids don't really like rock anymore. I mean certainly SOME still do but not like it was from the 60's through the 90's. The great rock bands are 40+. VERY few young rock bands making anykind of waves these days. There are exceptions like The Black Keys and perhaps Avenged Sevenfold but pop and hip-hop are whats popular and thats been the case since 2001 or so.

Sad. Aren't kids angry anymore?!

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: January 28, 2014 18:36

lettingitbleed
kids don't really like rock anymore. I mean certainly SOME still do but not like it was from the 60's through the 90's. The great rock bands are 40+. VERY few young rock bands making anykind of waves these days. There are exceptions like The Black Keys and perhaps Avenged Sevenfold but pop and hip-hop are whats popular and thats been the case since 2001 or so.

Sad. Aren't kids angry anymore?!

Give 'em another couple of years, they will be.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2000
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home