Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Why dit Bill change his familyname from Perks to Wyman?
Posted by: OutOfTime ()
Date: January 27, 2014 20:42

This question came up during diner this evening here in The Netherlands. I know Bill took the name of an armybuddy while on militairyservice in Germany.
What does Perks mean? Why did Bill feel the need to change it to Wyman?

Re: Why dit Bill change his familyname from Perks to Wyman?
Posted by: mighty stork ()
Date: January 27, 2014 20:48

Witness protection program. Now you've exposed him.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: January 27, 2014 20:50

mighty stork

>grinning smiley<

Date: January 27, 2014 20:51

mighty stork
I don't know this program, but Bill took this name long before he became famous, so security is not the reason.

Date: January 27, 2014 20:53

Cristiano Radtke
mighty stork

>grinning smiley<
Am I missing something because of lack of language knowledge?

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: January 27, 2014 21:00

See also this Post: "Bill Wyman's name change".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-01-27 21:05 by Irix.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: January 27, 2014 21:11

OutOfTime
Cristiano Radtke
mighty stork

>grinning smiley<

Welcome to the madhouse. And don't take us too seriously. smileys with beer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-01-27 21:22 by Cristiano Radtke.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: January 27, 2014 21:21

...because he wanted people to think he was Jewish...grinning smiley

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: January 27, 2014 21:50

BluzDude
...because he wanted people to think he was Jewish...grinning smiley

Still laughing over that one BluzDude...and I'm at work. smileys with beer

Date: January 27, 2014 21:51

What did Reagan think of the reason for Bill's name change? winking smiley

I've always heard he took the name after Jane Wyman, the actress. Reagan's former wife/girlfriend.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-01-27 22:08 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 27, 2014 22:13

DandelionPowderman
What did Reagan think of the reason for Bill's name change? winking smiley

I've always heard he took the name after Jane Wyman, the actress. Reagan's former wife/girlfriend.

Yes, there is a tradition of rock stars taking on female actress names.

Think of Gene Simmons/Jean Simmons, and of course...well, I'm sure I can think of a few more, I'll get back to ya.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: January 27, 2014 22:17

Marilyn Manson

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: January 27, 2014 22:23

Bill has an answer for this question in this 2006 interview with the Guardian, which he did to promote the release of the Stone Alone anthology: [www.theguardian.com]

Wyman grew up William Perks in Penge, south London. He hated the name and the place, thought they both reeked of failure.

"I did it officially through a solicitor by deed poll in March of 64. It cost me £25. I liked the name Wyman because my best mate in the military was called Lee Whyman. He was the best footballer in the camp, he could dribble his way through anything." It's a sweet story, and typically Wyman - typical in that he remembers exactly how much it cost and typical in that he named himself after somebody he idolised. "It completely changed my life. I felt confident, I was proud of the name."

Interesting interview, because Bill admits at one point that it was indeed the fallout over the Mandy Smith affair that finally forced him to leave the band.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: January 27, 2014 23:40

The Stones have to many perks to begin with.

Posted by: mighty stork ()
Date: January 28, 2014 00:14

OutOfTime
Cristiano Radtke
mighty stork

>grinning smiley<

I use sarcasm as a form of joking and sometimes it's taken to literally here so yes it may be a American/European thing that gets lost in translation. As far as the witness protection program it is real and it's to hide people who have testified in court against some serious criminals.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: January 28, 2014 00:33

stonehearted
Bill has an answer for this question in this 2006 interview with the Guardian, which he did to promote the release of the Stone Alone anthology: [www.theguardian.com]

[...]

Interesting interview, because Bill admits at one point that it was indeed the fallout over the Mandy Smith affair that finally forced him to leave the band.

That got me interested but all I found was :

It wasn't simply his relationship with the band, though. It was his failing relationship with Mandy that led to his leaving the Stones. "I had to get my personal life in order. That was really necessary." He had made a complete mess of everything? "Yep, so I had to get rid of everything and turn over a new leaf and start again." Ultimately, he says, his relationship with Mandy forced him to grow up. And he went about the business of rebuilding his life with astonishing pragmatism. He approached an old girlfriend, Suzanne Accosta, said he was finally settling down and asked her to marry him. Perhaps, even more astonishingly, his third marriage has worked.

Not terribly convincing is it? Besides Mick and Charlie went back to ask him one last time in 11/1992 (or so says Wyman in Rolling With the Stones) if he was sure he didn't want to stay on.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-01-28 09:01 by gotdablouse.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: January 28, 2014 04:16

Hmm...thinking of changing MY name to Wyman now.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 28, 2014 04:18

Why man ? .... 71Tele's pretty funky

ROCKMAN

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: January 28, 2014 07:54

stonehearted

Thanks for posting that. What a great interview. Bill always has the best insights about them.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: January 28, 2014 08:08

Rockman
Why man ? .... 71Tele's pretty funky

Well, thanks Rockman. Maybe I'll keep it then. Going to see the boys Down Under?

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: January 28, 2014 08:10

It was only rock'n'roll, but Stone loved it

March 11, 2006
Page 1 of 3 | Single page
Wild ride: as the Stones' bass player, Bill Wyman (right) slept with hundreds of women.

Wild ride: as the Stones' bass player, Bill Wyman (right) slept with hundreds of women.

As his old colleagues get set to hit Australia on their world tour, former Rolling Stone Bill Wyman tells Simon Hattenstone the real reason why he left the band.

BILL Wyman is sitting alone in the corner of his restaurant, Sticky Fingers, patiently waiting, as you might expect. His hair is a weird shade of purply brown these days. He's skinny with no bum to speak of, there's a fag in his mouth, a pot of tea by his side and, of course, he's on time. Wyman was always known for his promptness.

[www.theage.com.au]

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: January 28, 2014 08:56

...and on Bass William Perks...sad smiley That's why....
would have been good enough for a bass-player if you ask me...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: January 28, 2014 11:22

triceratops

March 11, 2006

As his old colleagues get set to hit Australia on their world tour, former Rolling Stone Bill Wyman tells Simon Hattenstone the real reason why he left the band.

BILL Wyman is sitting alone in the corner of his restaurant, Sticky Fingers, patiently waiting, as you might expect. His hair is a weird shade of purply brown these days. He's skinny with no bum to speak of, there's a fag in his mouth, a pot of tea by his side and, of course, he's on time. Wyman was always known for his promptness.

[www.theage.com.au]

The EXACT same interview that someone posted a link to the original in the Guardian - and you'll find it a few postings up the page.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: January 28, 2014 12:45

CaptainCorella
triceratops

March 11, 2006

[www.theage.com.au]

The EXACT same interview that someone posted a link to the original in the Guardian - and you'll find it a few postings up the page.

Not correct. I posted the link as a public service. No one else posted a link for further reading

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: January 28, 2014 13:09

It sounds like insecurity to me, I say. "Well, I think all the band are insecure," he says. That's a surprise. How? "We weren't fabulous musicians. If another great drummer came in and hung out, Charlie would be great mates with them, but when he went on stage and they were behind him he'd shit himself. And I used to be like that when Jack Bruce or someone like that was in the audience, and Mick used to be like it when there was a great singer and Keith would be when Ry Cooder was around."

Date: January 28, 2014 13:11

So was he fired?

Date: January 28, 2014 13:16

Fired?

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: January 28, 2014 13:20

triceratops

Not correct. I posted the link as a public service. No one else posted a link for further reading[/quote]

Sorry. I must be imagining or misreading...

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: January 27, 2014 22:23

Date: January 28, 2014 13:28

DandelionPowderman
Fired?

I dont think so but someone said he was forced to leave the band. Not what Ive read. He got fed up with the media and left? He "had" to leave because he couldnt take it?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2008
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home