Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4
Re: Mick Taylor - "I wrote all the ballads"
Posted by: smokeydusky ()
Date: January 24, 2014 04:40

DoomandGloom
Mick T. was not a rugged touring guy like the rest of the group.

What does this mean?
He had toured far more than the Stones from '67-'69.
Those tours lasted weeks or months with shows on many consecutive days of the tour (typically two shows per night) and crossing the UK, Europe and the USA.
Factual info is readily available at www.nzentgraf.de.

690221A 21st February: Miami, Florida, Thee Image (1st show)
690221B 21st February: Miami, Florida, Thee Image (2nd show)
690222A 22nd February: Miami, Florida, Thee Image (1st show)
690222B 22nd February: Miami, Florida, Thee Image (2nd show)
690227A 27th February: Jersey City, New Jersey, Loews Theater
690228A 28th February: New York City, New York, Fillmore East (1st show)
690228B 28th February: New York City, New York, Fillmore East (2nd show)
690301A 1st March: New York City, New York, Fillmore East (1st show)
690301B 1st March: New York City, New York, Fillmore East (2nd show)
690303A 3rd March: Toronto, Canada, Rock Pile (1st show)
690303B 3rd March: Toronto, Canada, Rock Pile (2nd show)
690306A 6th March: Winnipeg, Canada, UMSU
690307A 7th March: Chicago, Illinois, Kinetic Playground
690308A 8th March: Chicago, Illinois, Kinetic Playground
690309A 9th March: St. Louis, Missouri, Kiel Opera House
690310A 10th March: Kansas City, Missouri,
690314A 14th March: Detroit, Michigan, Grande Ballroom
690315A 15th March: Detroit, Michigan, Grande Ballroom
690316A 16th March: Cincinatti, Ohio, University Of Cincinatti Field House
690321A 21st March: Arlington Heights, Illinois, Cellar, Salem & Davis
690322A 22nd March: Arlington Heights, Illinois, Cellar, Salem & Davis
690325A 25th March: Tucson, Arizona, University Of Arizona
690327A 27th March: San Francisco, California, Winterland Ballroom
690328B 28th March: San Francisco, California, Winterland Ballroom
690329A 29th March: San Francisco, California, Winterland Ballroom
690401A 1st April: Palm Springs, California, Sun Air Drive-In, ‘Pop Festival’
690402A 2nd April: Seattle, Washington, Center Arena
690404A 4th April: Vancouver, Canada, PNE Agrodome
690405A 5th April: Spokane, Washington, Coliseum
690406A 6th April: Sacramento, California, Sound Factory
690408A 8th April: Los Angeles, California, Whisky A Go Go
690409A 9th April: Los Angeles, California, Whisky A Go Go
690410A 10th April: Los Angeles, California, Whisky A Go Go
690411A 11th April: Los Angeles, California, Whisky A Go Go
690412A 12th April: Los Angeles, California, Whisky A Go Go
690413A 13th April: Los Angeles, California, Whisky A Go Go
690418A 18th April: Pasadena, California, Rose Palace
690419A 19th April: Pasadena, California, Rose Palace
690425A 25th April: Phoenix, Arizona,
690426A 26th April: San Diego, California, Community Concourse Exhibit Hall
690428A 28th April: Houston, Texas, Catacombs
690429A 29th April: Houston, Texas, Catacomb

As someone who liked to play music with a band, Taylor would have been underwhelmed, not overwhelmed, with the level of activity in the Stones. One of his stated reasons for his departure was the cancellation of tour plans.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: January 24, 2014 05:45

Smokey, That is 3 months so there's no point made. I was trying to be polite in my assessment of why Taylor left and the dreary condition he was in by the time he exited.. After all the cancellation of tour plans should have opened him to other projects including his own, all this without quitting, according to Keith himself... Instead he made some token contributions with Olfield, Little Feat and Gong. Eventually crashing and burning playing along side Jack Bruce he ended up on a scrap heap until he was outed by the press, living like Aqualung... The Stones may have screwed him royally but being ultra detached from the cruelties of the real world it's likely they could never imagine these results. 50+ may have seemed inadequate for us Taylorites but 2 things are certain, our man is better off and The Stones are trying to give something back to a great member.

Date: January 24, 2014 10:47

DoomandGloom
Smokey, That is 3 months so there's no point made. I was trying to be polite in my assessment of why Taylor left and the dreary condition he was in by the time he exited.. After all the cancellation of tour plans should have opened him to other projects including his own, all this without quitting, according to Keith himself... Instead he made some token contributions with Olfield, Little Feat and Gong. Eventually crashing and burning playing along side Jack Bruce he ended up on a scrap heap until he was outed by the press, living like Aqualung... The Stones may have screwed him royally but being ultra detached from the cruelties of the real world it's likely they could never imagine these results. 50+ may have seemed inadequate for us Taylorites but 2 things are certain, our man is better off and The Stones are trying to give something back to a great member.

Again, look at the linked Zentgraf's site.
The 3 months I excerpted were replicated nearly each quarter of 1967-69 during his time with the Bluesbreakers (and just that excerpt seems to exceed the total of the Stones touring during that time).
The factual point is that he had lots of stamina for touring and had demonstrated much more touring capability than the Stones at least during this time with Mayall.
Why he left and what he could or should have done can be debated endlessly. But "not a rugged touring guy" is contrary to the facts.

By the way, as a Taylor fan, I was thrilled by Taylor's participation in the latest tour. Plundered My Soul was a good prelude. And I thought the band was generous with Taylor's spot--the long MR selection, the freedom during MR & CYHMK, the MR duet, the occasional feature of Sway, the stage time of Satisfaction after MR, etc. The final show was a spiritual experience for me.
Could/should Taylor have played more? Sure, that would have been great!
But this was far, far beyond the ragged one-time unrehearsed Rock Me Baby I long suspected.

Date: January 24, 2014 10:50

Keep in mind that the Mayall tours were fitness camps, compared to a Stones tour.

Mayall didn't drink, and expected sobriety from his musicians, according to Claptions bio.

Date: January 24, 2014 11:22

DandelionPowderman
Keep in mind that the Mayall tours were fitness camps, compared to a Stones tour.

Mayall didn't drink, and expected sobriety from his musicians, according to Claptions bio.

What's the point?

The fact remains he had done more touring during that time.

There is only speculation that he was not tour rugged.

By the way, "expected sobriety" seems to be an overstatement

McVie was fired in October for the first (but not last) time
because of his excessive drinking. Teetotaler Mayall smoked cigarettes but did
not tolerate any substance abuse in his band if the music suffered as a result.
It was rumored that one fateful night when returning from a gig up north, Mayall
ejected a vomit-prone McVie from the touring van and left him on the side of the
M1 motorway, miles from anywhere. Mayall himself now recalls that this parting
of ways happened more mercifully in central London.

[www.allmanbrothersband.com]

Posted by: howled ()
Date: January 24, 2014 12:15

His Majesty
I was surprised by the taylortite thing here when I joined. grinning smiley

Yeah, I wasn't expecting it either.

When I first heard the Stones in the 70s, I heard Satisfaction first and was captured by the riff and then I heard Jumpin' Jack Flash and Brown Sugar, so I eventually bought some old used Stones albums and Sticky Fingers.

To me, the 60s has a sound and the earlier Stones stuff just sounded to me like the Stones in the 60s and Sticky Fingers sounded like the Stones in the 70s.

I heard a fair bit of the earlier stuff, "Under The Boardwalk", "Little Red Rooster" etc on those used albums I bought.

I thought "The Last Time" was great and very 60s with a great riff, and I still do (even though a lot of it was borrowed).

I saw Brian and Taylor on the covers of some albums but that was about it.

I bought a Stones music book to play the songs on guitar and most of the songs had Jagger/Richards on them and not Jones or Taylor or Wyman.

I also seem to have been influenced by some of Mick Taylor's playing along with a fair few other players around in the 70s.

I don't have a Taylor/Jones preference thing myself, as they are both different and from different times when Rock/Pop was changing from the 60s into the 70s.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-01-24 12:20 by howled.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: January 24, 2014 13:23

howled
His Majesty

When I first heard the Stones in the 70s, I heard Satisfaction first and was captured by the riff and then I heard Jumpin' Jack Flash and Brown Sugar, so I eventually bought some old used Stones albums and Sticky Fingers.

To me, the 60s has a sound and the earlier Stones stuff just sounded to me like the Stones in the 60s and Sticky Fingers sounded like the Stones in the 70s.

I heard a fair bit of the earlier stuff, "Under The Boardwalk", "Little Red Rooster" etc on those used albums I bought.

I thought "The Last Time" was great and very 60s with a great riff, and I still do (even though a lot of it was borrowed).

I bought a Stones music book to play the songs on guitar and most of the songs had Jagger/Richards on them and not Jones or Taylor or Wyman.

I also seem to have been influenced by some of Mick Taylor's playing along with a fair few other players around in the 70s.

I don't have a Taylor/Jones preference thing myself, as they are both different and from different times when Rock/Pop was changing from the 60s into the 70s.

Me three. Before IORR I couldn't believe that Taylor has such a strong admiration and following among hardcore Stones fans. And I need to say that the years spent here at IORR have also helped me to realize not just his greatness but also his significance for the band in those important years.

Personally for me Taylor always was the most oddest contributor among the Stones members. At the time I got hooked - early 80's - that was the heyday of Keith/Ronnie axis ("Ancient art of viewing"), and the way they played pretty much defined my understanding of Stones guitar sound. And that was, of course, the time when the low-profile Keith Richards was the coolest rock and roll star in the world, a real hero, and the band basically "his band" (Jagger's star was going downhill fast). Ronnie was like a little brother of him, making more "Keef" feeling in the band.

Accidently, after the recent albums (TATTOO YOU, STILL LIFE, EMOTIONAL RESCUE, SOME GIRLS) - or with them - I get to know their 60's stuff (of course through some hit collections first). Brian Jones was there, and easy recognizable. Somehow in my imagination the early stuff clicked very well with the recent stuff. For example, STILL LIFE and GOT LIVE IF YOU WANT IT! sounded funnily similar - the guys just having got older and sounding more mature. Neither 'version' didn't sound at all like a 'typical' rock band, with flashy lead guitars, etc.

So the Taylor years was the last phase I get to know. I recall buying BEGGARS BANQUET and EXILE at the same time (by mail), and by that time being awere that they probably were their best albums. Listening them against each other, I could have never thought that they 'represent' different eras. I think both of them were jut great Jagger/Richards song efforts, and the band contributing with their funny, unique sound to the songs (and always the policy: the songs come first, the individual instrumental spotlights second). And neither sounding like a 'typical' rock band, but having that unique noise atmosphere created by the whole band, with no any striking or emphasized guitar solos or anything.

It was however, hearing first time GET YER YA-YA'S OUT! (after both STILL LIFE and GOT LIVE!) that I recall first time hearing something different: the band sounding like a 'typical' rock band, and in that, incredibly amazing. It was a mesmerizing experience: are they really this good if they play according to a 'normal scheme', having great guitar solos and all (especially "Love In Vain" and "Sympathy" made a huge impression to me in that sense). It really sounded like a different band, so damn tight, professional and everything.

It was also YA-YA'S that make me actually recognize that there is that guy called Mick Taylor - the almost forgotten guy between Jones and Wood - who needs to have a heavy hand there (like he had). Anyway. Listening to studio albums - soon I get all of them - Taylor was not so easy recognizable, and if he was, I wasn't so impressed (the jam part of "Can't You hear Me Knocking" sounded boring and artificial, and not ecen "Moonlight Mile" warmed me up - what they pretend to be? Prog band or Santana?). Of course, I do think think differently nowgrinning smiley.

Okay, the live bootlegs offered a new world to me in seeing Taylor's greatness, and my taste 'cultivated' among the years (I hopegrinning smiley), but honestly, it still was a surprise for him to see how much he is admired, loved and missed when I started visiting places like IORR. And I don't see anything bad at all in it.

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-01-24 13:27 by Doxa.

Date: January 24, 2014 13:25

smokeydusky
DandelionPowderman

What's the point?

It was rumored that one fateful night when returning from a gig up north, Mayall
ejected a vomit-prone McVie from the touring van and left him on the side of the

"Rugged", as in used to really hard touring, was my point.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: January 24, 2014 16:23

DandelionPowderman
smokeydusky
DandelionPowderman

What's the point?

O I thought you meant 'drugged'. grinning smiley

Date: January 24, 2014 16:24

kleermaker
DandelionPowderman
smokeydusky
DandelionPowderman

What's the point?

O I thought you meant 'drugged'. grinning smiley

I did winking smiley

Date: January 24, 2014 16:33

Doxa
howled
His Majesty

Me three. Before IORR I couldn't believe that Taylor has such a strong admiration and following among hardcore Stones fans. And I need to say that the years spent here at IORR have also helped me to realize not just his greatness but also his significance for the band in those important years.

Personally for me Taylor always was the most oddest contributor among the Stones members. At the time I got hooked - early 80's - that was the heyday of Keith/Ronnie axis ("Ancient art of viewing"), and the way they played pretty much defined my understanding of Stones guitar sound. And that was, of course, the time when the low-profile Keith Richards was the coolest rock and roll star in the world, a real hero, and the band basically "his band" (Jagger's star was going downhill fast). Ronnie was like a little brother of him, making more "Keef" feeling in the band.

Accidently, after the recent albums (TATTOO YOU, STILL LIFE, EMOTIONAL RESCUE, SOME GIRLS) - or with them - I get to know their 60's stuff (of course through some hit collections first). Brian Jones was there, and easy recognizable. Somehow in my imagination the early stuff clicked very well with the recent stuff. For example, STILL LIFE and GOT LIVE IF YOU WANT IT! sounded funnily similar - the guys just having got older and sounding more mature. Neither 'version' didn't sound at all like a 'typical' rock band, with flashy lead guitars, etc.

So the Taylor years was the last phase I get to know. I recall buying BEGGARS BANQUET and EXILE at the same time (by mail), and by that time being awere that they probably were their best albums. Listening them against each other, I could have never thought that they 'represent' different eras. I think both of them were jut great Jagger/Richards song efforts, and the band contributing with their funny, unique sound to the songs (and always the policy: the songs come first, the individual instrumental spotlights second). And neither sounding like a 'typical' rock band, but having that unique noise atmosphere created by the whole band, with no any striking or emphasized guitar solos or anything.

It was however, hearing first time GET YER YA-YA'S OUT! (after both STILL LIFE and GOT LIVE!) that I recall first time hearing something different: the band sounding like a 'typical' rock band, and in that, incredibly amazing. It was a mesmerizing experience: are they really this good if they play according to a 'normal scheme', having great guitar solos and all (especially "Love In Vain" and "Sympathy" made a huge impression to me in that sense). It really sounded like a different band, so damn tight, professional and everything.

It was also YA-YA'S that make me actually recognize that there is that guy called Mick Taylor - the almost forgotten guy between Jones and Wood - who needs to have a heavy hand there (like he had). Anyway. Listening to studio albums - soon I get all of them - Taylor was not so easy recognizable, and if he was, I wasn't so impressed (the jam part of "Can't You hear Me Knocking" sounded boring and artificial, and not ecen "Moonlight Mile" warmed me up - what they pretend to be? Prog band or Santana?). Of course, I do think think differently nowgrinning smiley.

Okay, the live bootlegs offered a new world to me in seeing Taylor's greatness, and my taste 'cultivated' among the years (I hopegrinning smiley), but honestly, it still was a surprise for him to see how much he is admired, loved and missed when I started visiting places like IORR. And I don't see anything bad at all in it.

- Doxa

Nice story Doxa, how you finally got to see the light. smiling smiley
But seriously, things would have been very different if they had released a live recording from the 1972 and/or 1973 tour. But due to copyright issues that never happened and only the boots were available. But not known by the masses of course, or the new, younger fans. The latter had to discover everything like you did so succesfully.

Date: January 24, 2014 16:35

kleermaker
Doxa
howled
His Majesty

- Doxa

But seriously, things would have been very different if they had released a live recording from the 1972 and/or 1973 tour. But due to copyright issues that never happened and only the boots were available. But not known by the masses of course, or the new, younger fans. The latter had to discover everything like you did so succesfully.

You mean back then? They have released official live recordings from both 1972 and 1973.

Date: January 24, 2014 16:42

DandelionPowderman
kleermaker
Doxa
howled
His Majesty

- Doxa

But seriously, things would have been very different if they had released a live recording from the 1972 and/or 1973 tour. But due to copyright issues that never happened and only the boots were available. But not known by the masses of course, or the new, younger fans. The latter had to discover everything like you did so successfully.

You mean back then? They have released official live recordings from both 1972 and 1973.

Indeed I mean back then. The releases you mention are not widely known either.

Date: January 24, 2014 16:43

kleermaker
DandelionPowderman
kleermaker
Doxa
howled
His Majesty

- Doxa

But seriously, things would have been very different if they had released a live recording from the 1972 and/or 1973 tour. But due to copyright issues that never happened and only the boots were available. But not known by the masses of course, or the new, younger fans. The latter had to discover everything like you did so successfully.

Ladies And Gentlemen is widely known.

Date: January 24, 2014 16:53

DandelionPowderman
kleermaker
DandelionPowderman
kleermaker
Doxa
howled
His Majesty

- Doxa

Ladies And Gentlemen is widely known.

I doubt it. Believe me, I got to know it when I discovered Iorr, so only some years ago! And I always considered myself a rather hardcore Taylor-Stones fan. cool smiley. Got boots in the 70-ties from the 1970 and 1973 tour and the famous Nicaragua benefit show for instance (and Bright Lights Big City). But never heard of L&G until a couple of years ago! Fantastic experience btw, and also all those boots I was able to collect! All thanks to Iorr and to the guys who made the stuff available here, Urban Steel, stonesmuziekfan and all the others (not to forget the tapers of course!). So a very big thank you from me to all of them. They're priceless indeed.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: January 24, 2014 17:04

Can we stop quoting the whole thing? grinning smiley

A cinema release of a 1972 concert is not something you can listen to at home, so it being released back then was as something fleeting like the concert itself.

As someone born in 1975, my first exposure to Ladies and Gentlemen was the brief glimpse of Midnight Rambler in 25X5.

Let's not forget Hyde Park though, that was available on video since 80's?

Hyde Park and Ya-Ya's have been the only really generally available, officially released Taylor era live stuff until fairly recently.

The Jones era only really had Got Live album. grinning smiley

Date: January 24, 2014 17:07

His Majesty

A cinema release of a 1972 concert is not something you can listen to at home, so it being released back then was as something fleeting like the concert itself.

As someone born in 1975, my first exposure to Ladies and Gentlemen was the brief glimpse of Midnight Rambler in 25X5.

Hyde Park and Ya-Ya's have been the only really generally available, officially released Taylor era live stuff until fairly recently.

His Majesty

His Majesty

grinning smiley

Date: January 24, 2014 17:08

<I doubt it. Believe me>

Ok, I believe you winking smiley

However, you should have catched the concert film both back then, or some other time out of the many screenings of it...

Good that the re-launch, when it was released as a DVD, finally hit you as well.

I saw it for the first time back in the mid-80s myself grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-01-24 17:11 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Bellajane ()
Date: January 24, 2014 17:08

DandelionPowderman
smokeydusky
DandelionPowderman

What's the point?

I thought that was a true story about McVie getting thrown out of the van for being excessively drunk. I believe I heard it in one of the films..Godfather of British Blues or The Turning Point. After he left the Bluesbreakers,I wish Taylor could have hooked up with another bandleader that had the same intolerance for substance abuse, but it was the late 60's early 70's so the chances of that were pretty slim. Maybe that's why his parents let him tour with John Mayall? I mean, I can't imagine they weren't remotely aware of that kind of lifestyle, so they trusted him being associated with him. Let's face it, MT was only 17 at the time. I've been reading some articles on Mike Bloomfield and he's another great talent destroyed by heroin. He didn't survive; MT did but at what cost to his career and health. Really a terrible waste of talent, regrettfully.

Date: January 24, 2014 17:15

Heheh dandie! grinning smiley

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: January 24, 2014 17:34

Taylor left, and that was that. With more thought involved, he could've decided to stay, dealed with whatever he had to deal with. And who knows what could've happened or evolved (great music, perhaps?).

Instead, he left. And ultimately Ron Wood got all the accolades after Some Girls released and then all of the money and credit that came afterwards for later releases and tours. And Taylor did not accomplish much after he left, staying in the doldrums.

Sad in a way, when you think of his contributions during the 69-74 period.

Date: January 24, 2014 21:03

kleermaker

Yeah, the fact was that during the early 80's (and I guess throughout the decade), the Taylor live years nor his legacy was not very well represented nor either received/remembered by the always trendy rock media. Like a blind spot in their career, which didn't even look too good then. Something was to do with fact that the band was doing damn well by their recent incarnation and sound, and kids like me learned that a strict lead/rhythm guitar split was something to kick out first if one wants to understand anything of the secrets of Rolling Stones sound. The classical hit-full 60's - like always - was always there. You go and buy HOT ROCKS or something, and there you have it. The 60's is and always will be the foundation of all Stones music - and Brian Jones with it. Of course, STICKY FINGERS and EXILE ON MAIN STREET were already classical albums, but I don't think Taylor's contribution was not seen any substantial in making the albums such masterpieces (especially EXILE which by then about achieved its 'best of them all' status, and it was if anything "Keith's album").

So Taylor was an "odd man out" as far as my impression was back then, not a very essential actor in the story (which I think reflected rather well the opinion of my genearation of fans). Not that he looked different, he also played - as much little as we could hear - with a style that, by defination, was not supposed to belong to "real" Rolling Stones sound.

I guess the things are getting better nowadays, and like you said for new fans is easier to get a more balanced picture. Something to do with the fact that Taylor years are now officially better represented, and thanks also the whole you-tube culture when everything is much easier available. Back in the old days the bootleg business was basically a hardcore fan thing, and not much significance outside those devoted circles. Also, of course Taylor being onboard again alone makes him easier to be 'discovered' - usually the stories covering their concerts mention him and tell something of his goodness and his place in the 'golden era'. Altogether the talk of seeing Taylor years as their 'peak era' has been increased - including even the band's own web site.

But I think over-all the biggest thing in seeing Taylor in a better light is that the whole existence of band these days have so much based on pure nostalgia. There aren't any longer a hot current band with new songs which would define band's sound, but the band sees rather 'democratically' all of their past (especially the crucial first twenty years) and offers 'best of' glimpses of that (by usually replicating the original studio versions). Not that there aren't any longer any 'agenda' against Taylor years, also Taylor's own presence fits very well to the 'nostalgic' nature of events. He is 'officially' a part of the story, and they all sound like damn proud of that incarnation and era of the band (the point emphasized also in EXILE and CROSSFIRE HURRICANE documentaries).

Probably I should add that maybe still the biggest reason in the end is that the music they did at the time with Taylor - both in studio and live - has simply proved to have a lasting effect, or even certain aura over it. For me the biggest surprise was with those EXILE/SOME GIRLS projects how much more interest the 1972 stuff gathered. Not just the albums itself but with those two companied films. For us devoted fans LIVE IN TEXAS 78 was a dream come true while LADIES ANG GENTLEMEN was so familiar of all the bootleg versions. But however, according to figures I saw (reflecting American sales), it was the latter doing clearly better. This is goes with my personal experience with the not particular or casual fans of the band. The non-particularly strong 1972 show seem to have naturally more appeal than the extremily strong 1978 show, no matter how much I try to explain that the latter captures the band in their damn hottest mood ever. [Perhaps there aren't any longer that 'zeitgeist' feel any longer in their doings, no matter how incredibly popular they were at the time of SOME GIRLS (or TATTOO YOU), which would be translated in time-defying fascinating legacy.] I am afraid that in future the hardest part to sell to possible new fans is the era I was born with (which seems to now or soon demanding a kind of acquired hardcore fan taste). I am afraid that the era I call "Vegas Era", and its wonderfully filmed greatest hits shows, might age even better.

Okay, that was just some random thoughts. I am lately more and more into self-reflection as a fan than saying anything of their music...eye rolling smiley

- Doxa

'

Edited 8 time(s). Last edit at 2014-01-24 21:37 by Doxa.

Date: January 24, 2014 21:25

I became of age after Taylor left but remember clearly missing him when I first saw them during Some Girls... I recall being 10th row in front of Wood at RFK and thinking WTF during Gimme Shelter, I grew to love Woods' creative contributions and his play on Brian Jones' 60's material but to be honest he falls flat on the "golden era" stuff. Almost as if he were intimidated instead of inspired by what was the closest thing to perfect reckless guitar playing by anyone for many of us.
Doxa I agree recent shows including the last year will age very well, mainly because Mick is spectacular these days. Keith may not be able to step it up due to arthritis but I would not be surprised to see his hands wake up with the medicine, money and desire we know they still carry...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-01-24 21:31 by DoomandGloom.

Date: January 24, 2014 21:31

During GS? winking smiley

Date: January 24, 2014 21:37

His Majesty

The movie Gimme Shelter was rebroadcast on PBS stations regularly.

Probably at least as "generally available officially" as Hyde Park,
and much more so before the VHS era.

There also were midnight showings of Stones movies in movie theatres.

Date: January 24, 2014 22:12

smokeydusky
His Majesty

The movie Gimme Shelter was rebroadcast on PBS stations regularly.

Probably at least as "generally available officially" as Hyde Park,
and much more so before the VHS era.

There also were midnight showings of Stones movies in movie theatres.

Forgot about that. It was all very 1969 focused still.

Date: January 24, 2014 22:30

DandelionPowderman
During GS? winking smiley
Actually I think it was SFM...

Date: January 24, 2014 22:34

DoomandGloom

Doxa I agree recent shows including the last year will age very well, mainly because Mick is spectacular these days. Keith may not be able to step it up due to arthritis but I would not be surprised to see his hands wake up with the medicine, money and desire we know they still carry...

Even though I wasn't that impressed in the actual show, SWEET SUMMER SUN is a damn strong concert movie, and I think it will have a lasting value in future. It pleases eye, sounds good, captures a wonderful atmosphere, and over-all is a really strong testimony how a 50 years old band can still deliver a great show - which is a miracle of its own, and justifies continuing their career so long. Of course, having Taylor there doesn't hurt either at all...

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-01-24 22:37 by Doxa.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1290
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home