Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: Mick Taylor - "I wrote all the ballads"
Posted by: Dreamer ()
Date: January 21, 2014 21:27

FP
I read somewhere that Mick Taylor said something to the effect that he wrote all the ballads when he was in the Stones. I presume this is based on his collaborations with Jagger on songs like Moonlight Mile, Time Waits for No One and Shine a Light where Keith was barely present at the session but still got a songwriting credit. I was interested to see if there was any truth to this or it was just Taylor grumbling?

By the way: nice threads about MT and SF & EOMS!

Posted by: Chacal ()
Date: January 21, 2014 22:10

Mick T did not claim he wrote all the ballads.

He is obviously misquoted on the Time Is On Our Side website.
According to the website he would have said: 'And mostly the ballads were usually written by me', but those are not Mick T's words.

Date: January 21, 2014 22:14

Timeisonourside quoted him from a newspaper interview. The exact same words.

That interview was weird and seemed bogus, though.

He probably never said such a thing.

Posted by: Chacal ()
Date: January 21, 2014 22:36

I think the 'quote' was published in "Guitar World" in March 2012.
In any case, they obviously put their own spin on something that was discussed during the interview.

Date: January 21, 2014 22:41

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-01-22 10:12 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: January 21, 2014 22:41

Yep, it was Guitar World - thanks!

Posted by: FP ()
Date: January 21, 2014 23:14

Dreamer
FP
I read somewhere that Mick Taylor said something to the effect that he wrote all the ballads when he was in the Stones. I presume this is based on his collaborations with Jagger on songs like Moonlight Mile, Time Waits for No One and Shine a Light where Keith was barely present at the session but still got a songwriting credit. I was interested to see if there was any truth to this or it was just Taylor grumbling?

By the way: nice threads about MT and SF & EOMS!

Thanks mate. We just need a few more contributions to the SF thread, the EOMS one has got all the interest!

Date: January 21, 2014 23:33

kleermaker
FP
dcba
RE Moonlight Mile it's plausible that either :

- he added a few licks to an already-finished Jagger composition
- or he was one day noodling on an acoustic guitar and Jagger told him "hey this sounds cool". MJ kept the random notes in his head and built the whole song around them, alone.

In either case MT now feels entitled to say he wrote MM with Jag. >grinning smiley<

MM was based on a Richard's demo called "Japanese Thing" I believe so the idea did originate with Keith. It just depends how much MT added with Jagger to this acoustic idea.

We have discussed this extensively a couple of weeks before.
As for the quote: if it's really said by Taylor he must have been joking, as he mostly does when being interviewed.

Can you give me the link to that thread, I can't find it?

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: January 22, 2014 07:55

We still don't have a source for the quote, other than Ian Macpherson's website. Was it Guitar World? Which issue?

Posted by: smokeydusky ()
Date: January 22, 2014 10:00

Date: January 22, 2014 10:14

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: January 22, 2014 10:24

His guitar playing, especially on ' Wild Horses ' should have given him the rights to that song at least...spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

2 1 2 0

Date: January 22, 2014 10:40

Come On
His guitar playing, especially on ' Wild Horses ' should have given him the rights to that song at least...spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

The few "plinks" with Nashville tuning? I don't think that was the basis for the song, as beautifully as that guitar fits in smiling smiley

You know that the two other guitars are played by Keith, right?

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: January 22, 2014 10:50

FP
kleermaker
FP
dcba

- or he was one day noodling on an acoustic guitar and Jagger told him "hey this sounds cool". MJ kept the random notes in his head and built the whole song around them, alone.

In either case MT now feels entitled to say he wrote MM with Jag. >grinning smiley<

MM was based on a Richard's demo called "Japanese Thing" I believe so the idea did originate with Keith. It just depends how much MT added with Jagger to this acoustic idea.

As for the quote: if it's really said by Taylor he must have been joking, as he mostly does when being interviewed.

Here it is, in Rene's "Track Talk" of "Moonlight Mile":[www.iorr.org]

Enjoy!hot smiley

(The thread is a couple of years old, but the recent one Kleermakers refers to starts in page 4 or something, and continues and continues...)

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-01-22 10:52 by Doxa.

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: January 22, 2014 10:52

DandelionPowderman

MT is speaking loosely here. However this is more proof MT feels he is owed royalties and credits and he is correct.

Your excerpt being from Guitar World in 2012 [www.guitarworld.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-01-22 10:53 by triceratops.

Date: January 22, 2014 11:20

<Your excerpt being from Guitar World in 2012>

Yep, the post above mine, with link to the interview.

Date: January 22, 2014 11:22

triceratops
DandelionPowderman

MT is speaking loosely here. However this is more proof MT feels he is owed royalties and credits and he is correct.

No, it isn't. It is more about Taylor's vagueness about the term writing, I think.

He could have meant "Usually, I was more involved in shaping most of the ballads in the studio", for instance...

Date: January 22, 2014 11:35

DandelionPowderman

No, it isn't. It is more about Taylor's vagueness about the term writing, I think.

He could have meant "Usually, I was more involved in shaping most of the ballads in the studio", for instance...

Yeah, that sounds reasonable interpretation. Taking that he just a little earlier was talking about "co-writing" or "at least I wrote the riff the string part is based on" in regards to one of their best known ballads of those days, "Moonlight Mile".

Probably the expression "to write" in the context of making and recording music is a bit ambigious in the first place; it really has not such a strict or defined meaning people sometimes seem to suggest. But having that said, Taylor could have chosen his words a bit more carefully...

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-01-22 11:38 by Doxa.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: January 22, 2014 11:58

So Mick Taylor wrote "Angie" about Anita Pallenberg? I think not.

Date: January 22, 2014 12:07

DandelionPowderman
triceratops

Your interpretation is better on the vagueness.....
This is MT's way of saying he is owed. Being he is a shy guy and all while he was with the Stones. And this carries over to today

Date: January 22, 2014 12:15

triceratops
DandelionPowderman
triceratops

This is MT's way of saying he is owed. Being he is a shy guy and all while he was with the Stones. And this carries over to today

Could be, but we don't know if it was the case here.

Date: January 22, 2014 12:31

DandelionPowderman
triceratops
DandelionPowderman
triceratops

If I am 63 years old then retirement money is going to be on my mind. And if not that then in the back of my mind. So yes, Mick Taylor is staking his claim to what the Glimmers owe him. Or as the rappers put it these days, "Its about gettin' paid"

Or as Matthew Fisher sued and won after 38 years without royalties and is now "gettin paid" on "Whiter Shade of Pale"
[news.bbc.co.uk]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-01-22 12:35 by triceratops.

Date: January 22, 2014 12:39

triceratops
DandelionPowderman
triceratops
DandelionPowderman
triceratops

If I am 63 years old then retirement money is going to be on my mind. And if not that then in the back of my mind. So yes, Mick Taylor is staking his claim to what the Glimmers owe him. Or as the rappers put it these days, "Its about gettin' paid"

Or as Matthew Fisher sued and won after 38 years without royalties and is now "gettin paid" on "Whiter Shade of Pale"
[news.bbc.co.uk]

Yep, that's what he said... or not...

Date: January 22, 2014 12:45

DandelionPowderman

As in, you don't know anything but catch you on another thread and you do. As in, you are incapable of speculating but then you are. But just not here.

Date: January 22, 2014 12:59

triceratops
DandelionPowderman

As in, you don't know anything but catch you on another thread and you do. As in, you are incapable of speculating but then you are. But just not here.

Speculate all you want, mate. We don't know for certain that he was staking his claims in this particular interview, though.

Stating he was, like it was a fact, can be a bit mis-leading, that's all I'm saying.

Date: January 22, 2014 13:10

Speculation is fun... but I wish the interviewer would have had a bit more eye (or balls), and payed more attention to that odd sentence... "What? Are you serious, man? What do you mean - you wrote all those angies, shinealights, wildhorses, etc,?"

But probably the occasion of that utterance was something like Taylor smiling, making an eye wink or something (or alternatively, looking bitter and furious, changing a tone)... but unfortunately nothing like that can be read of the interview (a typical guitar magazine stuff - dead serious and one-track minded).

- Doxa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2014-01-22 13:23 by Doxa.

Date: January 22, 2014 13:16

DP---

When you speak so expansively "I usually wrote all the ballads" and you are 63 years old then you say this from artistic pride and in MT's case, because he feels he is owed. Money. For his later years.

Date: January 22, 2014 13:24

IF he said it that way, something people with more knowledge than me doubt as well...

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: January 22, 2014 13:54

DandelionPowderman
Come On

The few "plinks" with Nashville tuning? I don't think that was the basis for the song, as beautifully as that guitar fits in smiling smiley

You know that the two other guitars are played by Keith, right?

Whatt!! Not even with a Nashville Tuning??? eye popping smileygrinning smiley

2 1 2 0

Date: January 22, 2014 14:07

Doxa
FP
kleermaker
FP
dcba

Here it is, in Rene's "Track Talk" of "Moonlight Mile":[www.iorr.org]

Enjoy!hot smiley

(The thread is a couple of years old, but the recent one Kleermakers refers to starts in page 4 or something, and continues and continues...)

- Doxa

Great thanks for this!

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1558
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home