Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

20 Feet From Stardom
Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: January 19, 2014 05:19

,,,great documentary...lovely Lisa Fischer is a big part of the story as is Darlene Love and Merry Clayton...Lisa says some beautiful things about the Stones in the out takes...but the documentary is worth seeing...and Mick delivers a couple of great lines.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-01-19 05:56 by Rip This.

Re: 20 Feet From Stardom
Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: January 19, 2014 07:15

Oscar nominated

Posted by: pgarof ()
Date: January 19, 2014 21:58

Great Film! saw it last August at the Toronto Film Festival

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: January 19, 2014 22:46

Looking forward to seeing it. Although I'd rather have more Keith backup vocals, I really admire Lisa.

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: January 19, 2014 22:51

Love that film - great contributions by all of the backing singers who featured in it.

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: January 20, 2014 01:57

Along with the documentary, "The Wrecking Crew", about the studio musicians who created many of the hit sounds of the 1960s, this is a must for anyone who loves music in general. There's a great clip on YouTube of Lisa Fischer doing an an acepella take on "The Look of Love" at the Sundance Movie Festival from when the "20 Feet from Stardom" movie opened there last year. Worth your time finding Lisa's clip along with any number of clips of the singers presented in the "20 Feet" movie.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: April 14, 2014 23:50

Theatrical release for '20 Feet From Stardom' in Germany on 24th April 2014.

A small report from the german TV broadcast 'ttt - titel-thesen-temperamente' (13-Apr-2014): [mvideos.daserste.de] .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-15 00:00 by Irix.

Posted by: Lady Jayne ()
Date: May 4, 2014 18:47

Saw this today and found it a fascinating and very enjoyable film. The combined talents of the women featured was awesome. Very interesting to hear Merry Clayton and Mick talk of the famous GS vocals - was it throwaway when Mick talked of Merry singing the lyrics "he" had written (I had always thought Keith was responsible for music and lyrics of this one)? Lisa came across very well - as a grounded person and well as a supremely talented one. It also struck me, not for the first time, how much more impressive and entertaining MJ is on the rare occasions he is being asked to talk about something other than himself.

Posted by: Infamy ()
Date: May 4, 2014 19:41

Great movie with lots of great music!

Ray
15 and counting. No stopping. Stockholm next.

Posted by: vox12string ()
Date: May 4, 2014 20:07

Saw it a couple of weeks ago, Lisa & Merry in the same doco, my my. Poignant the backup singers not being able to make serious solo careers with the talents they have....

Posted by: Lady Jayne ()
Date: May 4, 2014 20:19

vox12string
Saw it a couple of weeks ago, Lisa & Merry in the same doco, my my. Poignant the backup singers not being able to make serious solo careers with the talents they have....

I thought the film offered some explicit and some more implicit reasons why that might be so (desire, focus, luck as well as gender and race playing some part). I thought Merry Clayton seemed the most (righteously) angry of the women about her missed chances whereas Lisa was more mellow, more positive about the gains her anonymity brings. What was really shocking was the outright theft of some producers using their vocals to attribute to others.

Posted by: vox12string ()
Date: May 5, 2014 07:58

Lady Jayne
What was really shocking was the outright theft of some producers using their vocals to attribute to others.

Ah yes, Phil Spector, what do you expect from a man who wears this sort of wig in court.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: June 19, 2014 07:04

Saw this on the KLM flight from Amsterdam two days ago. What a GREAT film, and lots of Stones-related content.

- Merry Clayton and Mick listening to the isolated vocal from "Gimme Shelter", Mick smiling when someone (Mick?) goes "whoooh!" when Clayton hits the high notes

- the segment on Lisa, showing how talented and professional she has always been

- Claudia Lennear, talking about how she and Mick did "crazy things" like dressing in each other's clothes.

Made the flight home much more pleasant.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: June 19, 2014 09:08

I liked it and then it went on too long, and yes, it got sad. Not all of these talents were happy with being back up singers, and Mick didn't exactly make it sound like a great job either. It is a dirty trick that Darlene Love doesn't get more name recognition for 'He's a Rebel'. I've loved that song since it came out.

Choosing To Stay 20 Feet From Stardom - A conversation with vocalist Lisa Fischer
Posted by: Martijnstone ()
Date: July 27, 2014 21:15

Choosing To Stay 20 Feet From Stardom - A conversation with vocalist Lisa Fischer

[wunc.org]

Re: Choosing To Stay 20 Feet From Stardom - A conversation with vocalist Lisa Fischer
Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: July 28, 2014 04:25

Lisa is such a class act. The more I see - and hear - of her, the more I like and admire her.

Re: Choosing To Stay 20 Feet From Stardom - A conversation with vocalist Lisa Fischer
Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: July 28, 2014 10:54

Absolutely

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Date: July 28, 2014 11:23

Great docu, and Lisa was indeed great in it! thumbs up

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: July 28, 2014 22:38

Lady Jayne
Saw this today and found it a fascinating and very enjoyable film. The combined talents of the women featured was awesome. Very interesting to hear Merry Clayton and Mick talk of the famous GS vocals - was it throwaway when Mick talked of Merry singing the lyrics "he" had written (I had always thought Keith was responsible for music and lyrics of this one)? Lisa came across very well - as a grounded person and well as a supremely talented one. It also struck me, not for the first time, how much more impressive and entertaining MJ is on the rare occasions he is being asked to talk about something other than himself.

Keith was the musical architect and to Keith, that means it's his song. But I always assumed those dark lyrics came from Mick. People interpret Keith's comments about how he 'wrote' GS while waiting in the car during the Performance shoots...jealous of Mick and Anita etc. as him taking full credit of the whole song. But those evocative and foreboding lines have MIck written all over them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-07-28 22:41 by stupidguy2.

Posted by: Claire_M ()
Date: February 11, 2015 21:22

SomeTorontoGirl
Lisa is such a class act. The more I see - and hear - of her, the more I like and admire her.

She's an intriguing lady, very much an artist on her unique path. It was good to see that she is regarded so highly within the music industry.

Also rather fascinating is ex-Ikette Claudia Lennear, supposedly the inspiration for "Brown Sugar" and - gasp - Leon Russell's "A Song for You." [www.dailybulletin.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-02-11 21:29 by Claire_M.

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: February 12, 2015 02:13

Miz Lisa has also done some great vocal work on a recent album by Billy Childs commemorating/reinterpreting the songs of the late, very great, Laura Nyro. You can find clips on utoob. And, if you haven't discovered the work of Ms Nyro, well...you know what to do.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1944
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home