Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 6 of 8
Re: Mick Taylor - Exile on Main Street guitar contributions
Date: October 28, 2014 17:00

GasLightStreet
TravelinMan
Taylor starts playing slide at the 17 second mark on Rocks off and can be heard at various parts of the song, like doing a walk down into the chorus.

Good grief. Just attentively listened to that. I always thought it was a mess of piano. But you're right, it's a little descending thing with almost no tone to it buried in the mix!

These things (+ the thing round 0:17 in Rocks Off) just weren't audible prior to the Universal re-masters.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 28, 2014 17:13

I have the Virgin. I don't have the UMe EXILE.

Date: October 28, 2014 17:16

I think it's more about learning about something... when I got TATTOO YOU on CD I had heard someone say something about the cowbell in Start Me Up.

Cowbell? What cowbell?

I listened to the CD and there it was. So I played the vinyl album and... there it was. It just wasn't as noticeable - but I had never noticed it.

So upon reading about that descending guitar line Taylor does in Rocks Off, I had never paid attention to it enough to specifically listen to it... until today. And I heard it. And it's not the UMe brickwalled version.

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: October 29, 2014 07:06

Check out Torn & Frayed at like 2:22 to 2:24. I'm listening in headphones and it is very faint towards the left side, but that same line in the outro is being played, in addition to Richards' guitar. Then listen to Torn & Frayed in Vancouver. Same licks.

I stand by Taylor playing electric guitar on that song. I've never heard Richards do anything like that outro.

*Actually you can hear the licks in at least the last two choruses.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-10-29 07:07 by TravelinMan.

Date: October 29, 2014 10:55

TravelinMan
Check out Torn & Frayed at like 2:22 to 2:24. I'm listening in headphones and it is very faint towards the left side, but that same line in the outro is being played, in addition to Richards' guitar. Then listen to Torn & Frayed in Vancouver. Same licks.

I stand by Taylor playing electric guitar on that song. I've never heard Richards do anything like that outro.

Those are very simple licks, and could have been played by anyone - but there is something familiar about that vibrato winking smiley

I must admit I've never heard those licks before. Buried pretty deep underneath Keith's guitar. Sounds like something bleeding from an earlier take, before Al recorded his?

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: October 29, 2014 13:25

DandelionPowderman
TravelinMan

Those are very simple licks, and could have been played by anyone - but there is something familiar about that vibrato winking smiley

I must admit I've never heard those licks before. Buried pretty deep underneath Keith's guitar. Sounds like something bleeding from an earlier take, before Al recorded his?

The licks at the end do not sound very much like a guitar to me, it's sounds like a low tenor steel pan.

Mathijs

Date: October 29, 2014 13:49

Mathijs
DandelionPowderman
TravelinMan

The licks at the end do not sound very much like a guitar to me, it's sounds like a low tenor steel pan.

Mathijs

That's interesting. I thought I heard a couple of notes in there underneath Keith's guitar..

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: October 29, 2014 14:36

GasLightStreet
TravelinMan
Taylor starts playing slide at the 17 second mark on Rocks off and can be heard at various parts of the song, like doing a walk down into the chorus.

Good grief. Just attentively listened to that. I always thought it was a mess of piano. But you're right, it's a little descending thing with almost no tone to it buried in the mix!

Dang, yer right! I hadn't noticed either. There's definitely a guitar there, quite clear during the intro but also noticable at for example 0:56, 1:05 and 2:48. It's also audible from 3:50 onwards and you can hear how it transforms into that well known outro solo in the fadeout.
Love this about Exile (and Beggars Banquet and to a lesser degree other Stones albums) ... all the multi-layered stuff to discover.

Date: October 29, 2014 15:43

LieB
GasLightStreet
TravelinMan

Dang, yer right! I hadn't noticed either. There's definitely a guitar there, quite clear during the intro but also noticable at for example 0:56, 1:05 and 2:48. It's also audible from 3:50 onwards and you can hear how it transforms into that well known outro solo in the fadeout.
Love this about Exile (and Beggars Banquet and to a lesser degree other Stones albums) ... all the multi-layered stuff to discover.

It's not there during the intro.

Date: October 29, 2014 17:11

DandelionPowderman
LieB
GasLightStreet
TravelinMan

Yeah it is - it's the guitar that sounds sort of like a muted trumpet. It comes in at :05 and then does a descending lick run right before the drums kick in.

Date: October 29, 2014 17:20

GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman
LieB
GasLightStreet
TravelinMan

Yeah it is - it's the guitar that sounds sort of like a muted trumpet. It comes in at :05 and then does a descending lick run right before the drums kick in.

Ha ha! Is that a guitar, is that really what it is? grinning smiley

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: October 29, 2014 20:14

If only our ladies knew that we spend hours speculating on a few seconds of "muted trumpets" or "tenor steel pans" ...

C

Posted by: LuxuryStones ()
Date: October 29, 2014 20:28

Mathijs

Mathijs

And Jeff Beck, how does he sound?? Common, give us another laugh!grinning smiley

Posted by: alhavu1 ()
Date: October 29, 2014 22:25

liddas
If only our ladies knew that we spend hours speculating on a few seconds of "muted trumpets" or "tenor steel pans" ...

C

Exactly . Who the ef cares!! Ahhhh

Date: October 30, 2014 11:10

LuxuryStones
Mathijs

Mathijs

And Jeff Beck, how does he sound?? Common, give us another laugh!grinning smiley

Listen to the outro of this version:

It is a different mix than the Exile version. The melodic lines in the outro are mixed way more upfront, and I don't know what it is, but to me it sounds most like a steel pan. Of course it could be anything -a organ through a echo pan, a marimba through an echo chamber, I don't know. But it doesn't sound like a guitar.

Mathijs

Date: October 30, 2014 11:11

LuxuryStones
Mathijs

Mathijs

And on Jeff Back -we used to have great fun routing a microphone through a series of guitar effects pedals through a loud Marshall amp, and then we would fart in turns through the microphone.

That's just how Jeff Beck sounds.

Mathijs

Date: October 30, 2014 11:18

Mathijs
LuxuryStones
Mathijs

Mathijs

Listen to the outro of this version:

It is a different mix than the Exile version. The melodic lines in the outro are mixed way more upfront, and I don't know what it is, but to me it sounds most like a steel pan. Of course it could be anything -a organ through a echo pan, a marimba through an echo chamber, I don't know. But it doesn't sound like a guitar.

Mathijs

A marimba would be my guess. They have it on Sweet Black Angel as well.

Posted by: JakeA ()
Date: October 30, 2014 11:45

Here is the best instrumental version i found, Taylor`s guitar is much better audible than in final version.

Taylor plays on a left channel troughout the song ,starting from 00:5

Posted by: RobberBride ()
Date: October 30, 2014 11:45

Loving Cup outro = Steel pans.
If I recall correctly Jimmy Miller is noted as percussionist the track, and as long as we say steel pans are perc, its him playing.

Date: October 30, 2014 11:50

RobberBride
If I recall correctly Jimmy Miller is noted as percussionist the track, and as long as we say steel pans are perc, its him playing.

Thanks!

Date: October 30, 2014 12:03

RobberBride

So my ears were not deceiving me. Thanks!

Mathijs

Date: October 30, 2014 12:12

Mathijs
RobberBride

So my ears were not deceiving me. Thanks!

Mathijs

But is it the same as on Torn And Frayed?

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: October 30, 2014 17:32

Mathijs

on Jeff Back -we used to have great fun routing a microphone through a series of guitar effects pedals through a loud Marshall amp, and then we would fart in turns through the microphone.

That's just how Jeff Beck sounds.

Mathijs

Hatred makes man do ugly things. Let love rule! grinning smiley

Posted by: LuxuryStones ()
Date: October 30, 2014 18:21

That's no hatred, it's called envy.

Date: October 30, 2014 18:32

Steel drums, or whatever percussion, on Loving Cup definitely gives it that creole sound. Torn & Frayed there is another electric guitar, which I believe to be Mick Taylor.

On a side note, there is a really cool Hendrix style blues lick, probably done on the A and low E strings, somewhere towards the end of Loving Cup. I thought it may have been Taylor, but I think it is Richards. I love low register licks like that on guitar.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-10-30 18:33 by TravelinMan.

Date: October 30, 2014 21:55

TravelinMan
Steel drums, or whatever percussion, on Loving Cup definitely gives it that creole sound. Torn & Frayed there is another electric guitar, which I believe to be Mick Taylor.

On a side note, there is a really cool Hendrix style blues lick, probably done on the A and low E strings, somewhere towards the end of Loving Cup. I thought it may have been Taylor, but I think it is Richards. I love low register licks like that on guitar.

It is Keith. No Taylor on guitar on LC.

Posted by: RobberBride ()
Date: October 30, 2014 22:14

TravelinMan
Torn & Frayed there is another electric guitar, which I believe to be Mick Taylor.

Please tell me where you hear thissmiling smiley
I´ve been fiddling with the frequency scope all evening and can´t find it ...

I do have found some really nice backup vocals from Keith and an amazing pedal steel track.

The way I see it the "main" electric goes on thoughout the track but is cleverly faded out during the high legato/sustain licks from the pedal steel at approx.3.53.
Keith does some great pulloff licks with that main electric during the last verse starting at 2.37.

The first time I hear the doublestop coda guitar is at 3.41, and then it sweeps into the mix at full force at 3.53. Some of these licks is introduced /foreshaddowed in the main electric during "steal your heart away" at 2.30 and 3.15.
The coda guitar sounds like a standard overdub. Probably the main electric guitar was recorded all the way to the end and then Miller decided to do a classic Stones coda where something new is introduced at the very end making you want more.

If my life depended on it I would say both the main electric and the little coda lick at the end is played with the same guitar and the lovingly clumsily/raw/organic quality make me believe its Richards all the way.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: October 30, 2014 23:38

LuxuryStones
That's no hatred, it's called envy.
thumbs up

Date: October 31, 2014 06:16

RobberBride
TravelinMan
Torn & Frayed there is another electric guitar, which I believe to be Mick Taylor.

Please tell me where you hear thissmiling smiley
I´ve been fiddling with the frequency scope all evening and can´t find it ...

I do have found some really nice backup vocals from Keith and an amazing pedal steel track.

The way I see it the "main" electric goes on thoughout the track but is cleverly faded out during the high legato/sustain licks from the pedal steel at approx.3.53.
Keith does some great pulloff licks with that main electric during the last verse starting at 2.37.

The first time I hear the doublestop coda guitar is at 3.41, and then it sweeps into the mix at full force at 3.53. Some of these licks is introduced /foreshaddowed in the main electric during "steal your heart away" at 2.30 and 3.15.
The coda guitar sounds like a standard overdub. Probably the main electric guitar was recorded all the way to the end and then Miller decided to do a classic Stones coda where something new is introduced at the very end making you want more.

If my life depended on it I would say both the main electric and the little coda lick at the end is played with the same guitar and the lovingly clumsily/raw/organic quality make me believe its Richards all the way.

I'll check in the morning, but what I heard the other night was the lick (and similar licks) in the outro is buried during at least the last 2 choruses. During Richards' guitar part. The licks are strikingly similar to Taylor's part at Vancouver '72. I was listening to the newest remaster in headphones. Towards the left side, and very low, but they're there. Makes me think he recorded a whole part and they only emphasized the end to change-up the song a bit.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-10-31 06:18 by TravelinMan.

Date: October 31, 2014 09:52

TravellinMan:

I have now listened to various version, even with different frequencies (thanks to Mr. RobberBride). The lick that enters round 3:41 is definitely Keith. It's either an overdub (still only one electric guitar) or he wiped something he played prior to that lick.

The lick is clumsily played, Keith-style. You're right about Taylor playing it in Vancouver. But it doesn't sound exactly the same. My guess is that he felt it was an important ingredient in the song and hence chose to play it live, even though it was Keith's part.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 6 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2178
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home