Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Save the Live Album
Posted by: LieB ()
Date: January 10, 2014 23:31

I suppose there are plenty of live recordings being released officially. Some bands are pouring stuff out -- didn't Pearl Jam release every one of their shows of a tour fairly recently? And many of the old bands are putting out expanded versions and live boxes, even the Stones did the archive thing as you all know. The Grateful Dead's 72 disc box of their '72 tour of Europe is probably the most extreme one.

Those are great documents of the artists' live performances, but not live "albums" like Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out or Kiss Alive. Myself, I like all kinds of live releases -- the old school albums with shortened sets and (sometimes) overdubs, as well as the "bootleg" kind of complete-from-the-soundboard-thing.

Posted by: seitan ()
Date: January 11, 2014 01:08

I think Stones have released too many live albums, it gets rather boring if we get a new live album after every tour...I've heard all the brown sugars and tumbling dices that i need..

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: January 11, 2014 08:50

seitan
I think Stones have released too many live albums, it gets rather boring if we get a new live album after every tour...I've heard all the brown sugars and tumbling dices that i need..

Agreed. Its mainly just boring because its always the same songs. But then again thats what sells so it makes perfect sense. But yeah, the Stones don't ever need to release ANOTHER new live album with Satisfaction, Jumpin Jack Flash, Brown Sugar, Honky Tonk Women, Miss You, etc. The best live albums are the ones that have variety with each release, which the Stones stopped doing a long time ago.

Posted by: seitan ()
Date: January 11, 2014 13:38

RollingFreak
seitan

Agreed. Its mainly just boring because its always the same songs. But then again thats what sells so it makes perfect sense. But yeah, the Stones don't ever need to release ANOTHER new live album with Satisfaction, Jumpin Jack Flash, Brown Sugar, Honky Tonk Women, Miss You, etc. The best live albums are the ones that have variety with each release, which the Stones stopped doing a long time ago.

Agreed - that's why I love Stripped, it had few cool songs like Like A Rolling Stones, Shine A Light, Spider And A Fly, that we don't get to hear that often..

Posted by: Keef1966 ()
Date: January 11, 2014 14:33

For me it was UFO's Strangers In The Night. 1979. That live album was so rocking and so much better then their studio stuff. When I listen to them I pull this album out vs their studio Lp's. The expanded version is the best sounding CD I ever heard.

Posted by: mighty stork ()
Date: January 11, 2014 17:55

I always liked Ten Years After "Recorded Live". It's recording of Ten Years After with no overdubs or additives. Recorded over four nights in Amsterdam, Rotterdam, Frankfurt and Paris with the Rolling Stones' very own mobile recording truck and later mixed from sixteen track to stereo at Olympic Studios in London.

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: January 12, 2014 04:01

My Top- 10 favourites could be:

Rolling Stones - Get your ya ya's out
Ten Years After - Live at Fillmore East
Who - Live at Leeds
Lynyrd Skynyrd - 0ne More From The Road
Lou Reed - Rock 'n' Roll animal
Ramones - It's alive
Kinks - The road
Eric Clapton - Rainbow concert
Allman Brothers - At Fillmpore East
Rolling Stones- No Security

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: January 12, 2014 13:41

mighty stork
I always liked Ten Years After "Recorded Live". It's recording of Ten Years After with no overdubs or additives. Recorded over four nights in Amsterdam, Rotterdam, Frankfurt and Paris with the Rolling Stones' very own mobile recording truck and later mixed from sixteen track to stereo at Olympic Studios in London.

One of my all-time favourites, too. Check out the recently released "Remastered & Expanded"-release, it's simply stunning.

Posted by: olorin ()
Date: January 12, 2014 14:41

One of the absolute live record :

Sorry for my english ; I'm a french little boy (but I like it)

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: January 12, 2014 22:17

RollingFreak
seitan

I tend to think that NO SECURITY was the last 'serious' live album they made, which still had a certain artistic function, not trying to over-lap with earlier live albums, but adding something. That also reflects the claim of the article discussed in this thread. The article, I think, has a point, but it suffers for some 'blindness', or its argument is not backed up very well. For example, the concept of live album as it used to was known, has degenarated years ago. I guess crucial time was when DVDs started to be the main medium in documenting the tours (and more money there). The Stones pretty well represent the development (FOUR LICKS was THE product of LICKS TOUR, for example).

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-01-12 22:22 by Doxa.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: January 12, 2014 22:23

Doxa
... The Stones pretty well represent the development (FOUR LICKS was THE product of LICKS TOUR, for example).

- Doxa

Four Licks. That could have been the predecessor to the Five By Five EP. grinning smiley

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1330
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home