Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: The greatest living Blues Man. (Hands Down)
Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: January 6, 2014 04:42

Because Beck is too unrestrained to play the blues, except as a token attempt. Even his blues licks have jazz wings taking flight, like in this clip from the NME Poll Winner's Concert of 1966.

Or in this 1966 clip of I'm A Man--blues isn't about having a "rave up".

Posted by: LuxuryStones ()
Date: January 6, 2014 12:55

Forget the past, Beck improved over the years. I was just joining the discussion between Seitan and keefriffhard4life. I didn't mean that Jeff Beck is a blues player pur sang. Sure he's playing with a different attitude than the traditional bluesplayers like Eric Clapton or even BB King etc. I just wanted to point out that his feeling and harmonic tools are definitely derived from the blues, and of course Beck is trademark rock. With a bit of musical imagination the clip below is showing that extension or modification of the blues. That isn't too difficult to hear, or is it? smiling smiley

I will add Jeff Beck to the current greats, coming from the 6-tees, and still in great shape.

Date: January 6, 2014 13:51

Greatest BLUES MAN still performing (watch the whole clip):

Date: January 6, 2014 15:02

LuxuryStones
Forget the past, Beck improved over the years. I was just joining the discussion between Seitan and keefriffhard4life. I didn't mean that Jeff Beck is a blues player pur sang. Sure he's playing with a different attitude than the traditional bluesplayers like Eric Clapton or even BB King etc. I just wanted to point out that his feeling and harmonic tools are definitely derived from the blues, and of course Beck is trademark rock. With a bit of musical imagination the clip below is showing that extension or modification of the blues. That isn't too difficult to hear, or is it? smiling smiley

I will add Jeff Beck to the current greats, coming from the 6-tees, and still in great shape.

beck imo is the best guitar player ever but he still went in all different directions. he did jazz fusion and electronic and symphony stuff all while putting in his trademark style. clapton though in the mid 90's released and album made up of blues covers.

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: January 6, 2014 16:05

RockinJive
People may hate me for this but does anybody think that Buddy Guy's tone is one of the worst. Way too much treble.

I won't hate you and will actually agree with you whole heartedly. While I love much of what Buddy plays, I have never been a fan of the tone he chooses to use. I won't deny that he makes it work for him, I just don't care for it all that much. His notes & feeling keep me listening even though his tone sometimes makes me want to fast forward to the next tune.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: January 6, 2014 16:08

mr_dja
RockinJive
People may hate me for this but does anybody think that Buddy Guy's tone is one of the worst. Way too much treble.

I won't hate you and will actually agree with you whole heartedly. While I love much of what Buddy plays, I have never been a fan of the tone he chooses to use. I won't deny that he makes it work for him, I just don't care for it all that much. His notes & feeling keep me listening even though his tone sometimes makes me want to fast forward to the next tune.

Peace,
Mr DJA

It's like swearing in church, but I agree as well.

Posted by: LuxuryStones ()
Date: January 7, 2014 18:58

keefriffhard4life
LuxuryStones

beck imo is the best guitar player ever but he still went in all different directions. he did jazz fusion and electronic and symphony stuff all while putting in his trademark style. clapton though in the mid 90's released and album made up of blues covers.

GB Pork Pie Hat as played by Beck is a 16 bar blues.

Posted by: elwoodpdowd ()
Date: January 8, 2014 03:55

Check out brokeandhungryrecords.com I don't know if you would consider any of these musicians the greatest but, they certainly can be considered as some of the most authentic blues men. I have most of the releases and I have enjoyed every one.

Posted by: ChicagoCalling ()
Date: January 8, 2014 04:58

Otis Rush suffered a stroke in 2004 which has kept him from performing ever since but - if he never plays another note he's still got my vote as the greatest! Otis Cobra Single

Posted by: roundnround ()
Date: January 8, 2014 07:53

how about the greatest living blues woman?

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: February 2, 2014 19:55

Gotta go with Buddy...

"You know, you'll never see a Blues guy with that little microphone around his ear,
dancing and playing at the same time. When you see a Bluesman,
he's wringing wet and giving you the best he's got." -- Buddy Guy

Posted by: SimonN ()
Date: February 2, 2014 21:14

Hello,

I'm voting for Ms Bonnie Raitt: she'll still kick the arse of these guys on a good night!

That said I still love Eric, Buddy & Mr King...hell, it's a broad-ish church.

Cheers,

Simon.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-02 21:40 by SimonN.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: February 2, 2014 21:22

There was a time when Buddy Guy was truly a hellacious player but not anymore.

Agree with LuxuryStones re the brilliant Jeff Beck.

Bonnie Raitt has done so much for blues music and musicians. She helped many a starving musician get respect...treated them right and paid them well.

Posted by: 6853 ()
Date: February 2, 2014 22:30

loved the sumlin song, different, maybe different class.? buddy guy is awesome, has this considerable charm, smile etc, that fx clapton has not at all.. all fantastic

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: February 2, 2014 23:57

Any votes for Walter Trout?

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1171
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home