Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Mick Jagger Wandering Spirit 20th Anniversary
Posted by: GOO ()
Date: January 3, 2014 15:36

Love use me up

Posted by: varilla ()
Date: January 3, 2014 19:59

I always wondered what Keith rho la a out it. Any praises?

Posted by: slew ()
Date: January 4, 2014 06:30

I still listen to Don't Tear Me Up and Jagger's great cover of I've Been Lonely For So Long quite often.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: January 4, 2014 11:43

varilla
I always wondered what Keith rho la a out it.

HUH ?

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: January 4, 2014 11:59

Rolling Hansie
varilla
I always wondered what Keith rho la a out it.

HUH ?

I think he means "what Keith thought about it".... otherwise, whether Keith likes to sing Roll Out The Barrel to it.... or something.

Posted by: flashhh ()
Date: January 4, 2014 17:05

I think this record is crap....thought she's the boss was far and away better

Posted by: slew ()
Date: January 4, 2014 17:21

She's the Boss is horrendous WS is the only worthwhile music Jagger has made away from the Stones.

Date: January 4, 2014 17:21

stonehearted

I think he means "what Keith thought about it".... otherwise, whether Keith likes to sing Roll Out The Barrel to it.... or something.

smiling smiley Thanks

-------------------

Date: January 4, 2014 17:23

flashhh

Really good that you think. Keep On Thinking.
Although I still love Wandering Spirit

-------------------

Posted by: 68to72 ()
Date: January 4, 2014 19:18

Wandering Spirit is worth buying purely for this......

What a drag it is gettin' old

Posted by: seitan ()
Date: January 4, 2014 20:56

dcba
seitan
Red Devils sessions is the best jagger solo recording session ever..or maybe jamming With Edward session is better, but he should have released Red Devils recording instead of wandering shite album.

Red Devils session was far greater than Wandering Spirit, better groove, better songs, better band, better recording in sound wise..I never liked the mickey mouse snare drum sound of the wandering spirit album, it's too thin and lame..but thre you go. Jagger wants to play safe and radio friendly and he doesnt always realize that at his best - jagger is white blues musician - Jagger is at his best when he does blues...

Yes but you can't build a solo career on an album made of obscure blues covers... And iirc it was Rubin who made the Jagger/RD session happen (as a way to revitalize the singer's roots). I'm sure that for Jagger it was a one-off who never was deemed of a possible release...

..Yeah, too bad he didn't take Rubin's advice, - now Mick has crappy and failed solo career.

You can't really build a solo career when you can't hack it without the Stones and Yeah, - the devils blues sessions was a one-off for Mick and that's too bad, cause Mick is at his best when he does the blues. Maybe Mick was goin thru some kind of midlife crisis, and he really wanted to compete with juvenile pop singers on MTV - He should have written some blues songs for Red Devils on his own, but nope..he tried to be radiofriendly pop singer and he ended up being as boring and lame as Justin Tiberlake and Georrge Michael, Sorry but wandering shite is rather dreadful pop album with a lame drum sound

..but I'll admit She's the Boss and Primitive Cool and Superheavy were even worse.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: January 4, 2014 21:08

I happen to like both Wandering Spirit, and Goddess In The Doorway.

I would love a 2CD deluxe Wandering Spirt, with the Red Devils session on Disc 2.

Posted by: nellcote'71 ()
Date: January 4, 2014 21:14

Hang on to me Tonight is my favorite track.
Would be better with Keith singing background...

Posted by: wandering spirit ()
Date: January 7, 2014 12:35

I of course love WS, especially the title track, Wired all night, Sweet thing and of course Don´t tear me up...but the other songs are geat too. Goddess In The Doorway, on the other hand, is not really one of my favourits.....

Date: January 7, 2014 21:08

I loved this record but was somewhat disappointed with Voodoo Lounge. I remember being very pumped up when VL came out because WS was so strong. I thought Mick raised the bar again.

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: January 7, 2014 21:53

withaheadfullofsnow
I loved this record but was somewhat disappointed with Voodoo Lounge. I remember being very pumped up when VL came out because WS was so strong. I thought Mick raised the bar again.

Same here. My expectations for new Stones stuff went through the roof after WS...

Posted by: mighty stork ()
Date: January 7, 2014 22:13

njet
Mick's third solo album "Wandering Spirit" was released feb. 1993 so this year it's the 20th anniversary for that album. Definitely Mick Jagger's best solo effort in my opinion - a really strong record with great sound and sort of effortless going from one genré till another - cohesive is the word...

Of course Rolling Stones are on tour now so it's not happening right away - maybe the 30th anniversary?

Anyways bonus material could be the unreleased "Red Devils" blues album (finally getting that out there!!!) and a dvd of the "Webster Hall" performance in 5.1 sound a couple of b-side's and maybe some demo's like "Charmed Life"... and maybe there are a couple of outtakes from the sessions?

Doubt it would be re-released because it didn't sell that well in the first go around except to die hard Stones fans (me included). It would take a whole bunch of added material to gain interest 30 years later.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: January 8, 2014 07:28

The Mez
Real good album . The "Webster Hall concert", even better MEZ

Yes, it was - I was there!! Incredible, especially Jimmy Rip on guitar, and of course, Mick!

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 8, 2014 08:03

I counted on my fingers and toes, I count 21st anniversary.

I've made a notation now though, for us to celebrate the silver jubilee of this album in 4 years.

Posted by: michaelsavage ()
Date: January 8, 2014 18:51

seitan
Red Devils sessions is the best jagger solo recording session ever..or maybe jamming With Edward session is better, but he should have released Red Devils recording instead of wandering shite album.

Red Devils session was far greater than Wandering Spirit, better groove, better songs, better band, better recording in sound wise..I never liked the mickey mouse snare drum sound of the wandering spirit album, it's too thin and lame..but thre you go. Jagger wants to play safe and radio friendly and he doesnt always realize that at his best - jagger is white blues musician - Jagger is at his best when he does blues...

U could not be more wrong.

Posted by: nonfilter ()
Date: January 9, 2014 06:15

Anybody that doesn't like "Wandering Spirit" is living in 1968. Great songs, great sound, and I'm usually a Keith guy. But this is a fantastic album. Would be better with Keith and Charlie playing their parts, but Mick made a classic here. To discredit me further, this, Talk is Cheap, Voodoo Lounge, Bridges to Babylon, Beggars Banquet, Let It Bleed, Sticky Fingers, and Exile are my favorite Stones albums. That is in no order. All equal in my eyes. I was 15 when Wandering Spirit came out, so...those later albums were my coming of age. Sometimes think that's the lack of appreciation for The Stones's later day classics from older fans. They were on fire in the late sixties, early seventies, and mid 90s in my book.

[www.non-filters.com]

Posted by: Rev. Robert W. ()
Date: January 9, 2014 08:50

"Evening Gown" is such a gem. As is "Hang On To Me Tonight." And the title track.

In general, there was always something missing for me--never could quite put my finger on it. It was a nice tour of Jagger's strengths, but seemed a bit calculated. Didn't have the immediacy of Main Offender

Probably my favorite moment on Spirit is "Handsome Molly." Such an interesting choice for Jagger (with Rubin's nudge?) and a lovely, elegant ending to the album. That track has a quality of maturity and grace that I'd love to hear (still hoping…) on a Stones record.

The Red Devils tracks are a mofo. I think they would've gotten a lot of positive attention.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: January 9, 2014 08:57

This is my Jagger favorite:

10 Years Anniversary this year smileys with beer

2 1 2 0

Posted by: capsula ()
Date: January 11, 2014 10:04

Great album for me too. I also enjoyed goddess, and the being Mick doccumentary, with the live bonus

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: January 11, 2014 12:40

withaheadfullofsnow

Exactly the same here. I thought sound and musicwise WS is far better than VL.

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: January 11, 2014 12:55

WS is a strong album. It is better than VL (although this album has some good moments too). The title track is fantastic, lots of groove and a great arrangement.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: January 11, 2014 14:02

flashhh

eye popping smileyeye popping smileyeye popping smileyeye popping smileyeye popping smiley OMG eye popping smileyeye popping smileyeye popping smiley

Posted by: leatherjacket ()
Date: January 11, 2014 17:45

Its the closest to RS-music, thats why Stones fans love it. She's the boss was much more an effort to step into different paths. Amazingly enough is that Jagger can hardly do anything decent without Keith.

Posted by: GOO ()
Date: January 11, 2014 17:59

I love handsome molly

Posted by: Rev. Robert W. ()
Date: January 11, 2014 20:16

Having a laugh thinking to myself what it would've been like had Jagger released the Red Devils material…

Can you imagine how pissed Keith would've been at that?

Somebody mentioned "Charmed Life" above. Was that developed for Wandering Spirit? I've always liked it, actually.

But it's a revamped Emotional Rescue outtake, right?

"Charmed Life" video:

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 2525
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home