Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5
Re: Complaints about ticket sales
Posted by: Beast ()
Date: December 17, 2013 01:38

I'd like to know if there any other band or performer today who charges such high prices on a par with the Stones?

Date: December 17, 2013 01:42

Gazza
dcba
It's a capitalist thing and it goes far beyond the Stones tour : if you sell your product 10 ten times what competition does you're 10 times better than the competition, period!
If the Stones did a normal tour and priced ther tickets reasonably the press would come down on them saying they're a bunch of old farts desperate to fill venues by selling tix at a cheap price.

So Jagger asks a very high price and the Stones tour becomes the event of 2014 down under.
Medias love when records are broken and they love it when they can add the word "ever" to their headlines (most expensive tix "ever", fastest tour to sell out "ever").

Jagger knows all this! smoking smiley

I bet you any money you like they'd be more likely to be commended for it.

They would, too. I don't remember them being castigated in the press when it was announced that most tickets for the Hyde Park shows would be priced at £95.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 17, 2013 01:55

strat72
bv
Do we really have to do this very same discussion every time the Rolling Stones are selling tickets? It has been the same for 40+ years. In 1969 they said the prices were crazy. And every tour since then it has been the same. This is not new to anybody. We are just getting older.

He's right, The Stones have always been greedy, and now they are greedier than ever! I still love the band, but except that they are after very penny they can get, and don't care what their fans, or anyone else thinks. They simply don't give a f••k. If you think about it, it's so punk, so rock n roll, and it's nothing new. Don't bitch about it though, just don't buy a ticket, if you do, you have your own stupidity to blame. I've seen the band so many times that it does not bother me to not see them, if you must see them, don't be a mug punter. Wait till the gig is a few days away and you will get good tickets for less than face with no problems.

you are right and I think that is really the only attitude you can take with it. If you can afford it wonderful, but if you can't, don't drive yourself crazy about it.

Re: Australian tour a joke
Date: December 17, 2013 01:56

champ72
I got some tickets on the 1st elevation for Sydney in the pre-sale. I wanted Pit tickets, and I was right on it at exactly 3PM when they went on sale..but I got nowhere near the pit. I suspect that apart from VIP packages none were available.
So it annoys me that perhaps Corporate t0ssers that I work with who wouldn't know a thing about the Stones will end up with the best tickets..as a Corporate jolly.
And this whole reseller business make the whole process so convoluted and unfair.
I am thankful I got tickets, feel sorry for those who missed out and hope something turns up

To add insult to injury, as I understand it the pit package no longer involves a jumped-up pre-show meal. The main "deal" instead is that you get early entry??!! Sorry, but whoever concocted that little earner has really sunk to the absolute pits. Apologies for the dismal pun, but that is the phrase that came immediately to mind when I heard that.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 17, 2013 02:00

Gazza
bv
Do we really have to do this very same discussion every time the Rolling Stones are selling tickets? It has been the same for 40+ years. In 1969 they said the prices were crazy. And every tour since then it has been the same. This is not new to anybody. We are just getting older.

Please. '69 was a much documented exception. They got so much flak for it they ended up doing Altamont as some kind of hastily thrown together guilt-trip.

Stones ticket prices, while never cheap, were in line with every other major act until about 1998. You know that as well as anyone.

And the difference has multiplied several times with each successive tour since then.

It has not 'been the same'. Compare the average inflation increase between one tour and the next in the last 15 years and then compare the average ticket price in that time. The difference is huge.

I guess we can't keep using the excuse that they don't make any money off album sales anymore, so charge more for the show, if they're too lazy to put out an album of new material.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: December 17, 2013 02:14

Beast
I'd like to know if there any other band or performer today who charges such high prices on a par with the Stones?

Some acts would charge VIP packages that would be on a similar level, but I cant think of any rock/pop act whose average ticket price would be near as much.

Date: December 17, 2013 02:22

Beast
Gazza
dcba
It's a capitalist thing and it goes far beyond the Stones tour : if you sell your product 10 ten times what competition does you're 10 times better than the competition, period!
If the Stones did a normal tour and priced ther tickets reasonably the press would come down on them saying they're a bunch of old farts desperate to fill venues by selling tix at a cheap price.

So Jagger asks a very high price and the Stones tour becomes the event of 2014 down under.
Medias love when records are broken and they love it when they can add the word "ever" to their headlines (most expensive tix "ever", fastest tour to sell out "ever").

Jagger knows all this! smoking smiley

I bet you any money you like they'd be more likely to be commended for it.

They would, too. I don't remember them being castigated in the press when it was announced that most tickets for the Hyde Park shows would be priced at £95.

I remember last year or so Bon Jovi announcing that they would be selling tickets for as little as about £12 for their shows, which resulted in them getting huge plaudits. Even from me. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

The reality was somewhat different as they still had a wide variety of prices, but the publicity they got from it was all very positive.

Theyve managed to be the biggest grossing act of 2013. It certainly did them no harm.

U2 - the only act in the world who can outdraw the Stones - also got huge praise on their last tour for keeping something like 10,000 tickets per stadium show at the lowest price possible ($30) and charging $55 for GA field tickets. The same tickets that the Stones are charging as much as four figures for.

The tour featured a tiered pricing system for tickets; the most expensive ticket being slightly higher in price than the last tour, but the cheapest tickets, the general admission tickets, being lower. Playing larger capacity venues allowed the band to price tickets more conservatively and subsidise less expensive tickets with costlier ones. In the US, field level tickets were priced at $55, and approximately 10,000 tickets per show were priced at $30. The price points were $30, $55, and depending on the market, $90–95 and $250. McGuinness said, "We have worked very hard to ensure that U2 fans can purchase a great-priced ticket with a guaranteed great view. (wiki)

It ended up being the biggest grossing tour of all time. Just as importantly, they're continuing to be able to attract younger fans to their shows, by keeping tickets within their price range.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: December 17, 2013 03:19

Gazza

Just as importantly, they're continuing to be able to attract younger fans to their shows, by keeping tickets within their price range.

I think not even Jagger who fancies the idea that he still could charm younger audiences don't put too much weight into that point when it goes to business (taking maximum profit). Then the deal is "take the money and run". It's only rock'n'roll if you are old and wealthy enough, or at least happen to work in right company to get your tickets...

- Doxa

Posted by: OzHeavyThrobber ()
Date: December 17, 2013 03:55

The Stones I doubt give a toss about new fans. They are too old to endure the type of touring the U2 360 tour entails. Plus the bottom line is all they care about is the bottom line.

It will be interesting to see the path that U2 decide to travel in 20 years. They will sustain their fame as the Stones have done into their old age I believe given their already impressive legacy.

Getting U2 tix in Australia on their last two tours was easy and cheap. Consequently a heap of people I knew went that otherwise wouldn't have bothered. I knew of no complaint in any form from anyone regarding it. It was general talk on how great the concerts were. Even to those not particularly interested in the band.

The Stones aren't even here yet and all I'm hearing is "fkuk them" regularly out of the mouths of all those that wanted to see them.

It must be an internal emotional nightmare to be so slavishly beholden to wealth as it appears Jagger, Richards, Watts and Wood are.

The Stones greatest creative period was not from 1968 - 1972.

I believe it has been from 1981 to the current day. The creative ability to live on past glories for more than three decades and charge higher and higher prices for greater expectations of mediocrity.

Also ticket prices regarding them were out of control in Australia by as early as 1995. McCartney toured in '93 at $52 a ticket which included a big fat booklet/program of the tour with glossy pics and so on. There was an outcry. He was lambasted because the average ticket then was $38 - $40.

Fast forward two years. The Stones roll into town at $93 a ticket.

Not a peep.

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: December 17, 2013 04:12

The North American tour was incredibly disheartening for me, for overlapping reasons. So empathies with my Australian friends. Prices will come down, because scalpers always over-reach and people asking $x billion for their tickets on eBay means jacksh!t. Also, the Aust/NZ economies are not as hot as people like to think they are. Best bet is to keep an eye on prices in the few days leading up to the show and/or buy outside the venue, if necessary. If it works out, great. If not, you're not missing a helluva lot and you saved a ton of money.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: December 17, 2013 04:39

DeanGoodman
The North American tour was incredibly disheartening for me, for overlapping reasons. So empathies with my Australian friends. Prices will come down, because scalpers always over-reach and people asking $x billion for their tickets on eBay means jacksh!t. Also, the Aust/NZ economies are not as hot as people like to think they are. Best bet is to keep an eye on prices in the few days leading up to the show and/or buy outside the venue, if necessary. If it works out, great. If not, you're not missing a helluva lot and you saved a ton of money.

thumbs upthumbs up

Really. Do your best to get an affordable seat. If you can't get one, it's not like you're missing a classic show.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: December 17, 2013 06:06

Gazza
Beast

Some acts would charge VIP packages that would be on a similar level, but I cant think of any rock/pop act whose average ticket price would be near as much.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-12-17 06:10 by tatters.

Posted by: Torres ()
Date: December 17, 2013 09:13

She needs the blade - on her armpits.

Posted by: Grison ()
Date: December 17, 2013 12:10

Dear all and for once and all
Gazzas and Doxas and complainers of a lost world

We read it a thousand times and a lot of us by now know that the ticket prices are expensive. And we also know since quite a long time that you are frustrated and disappointed by the band. However I also know that some of you got pretty easy free tickets from friends of the Band which are not available anymore for you while we had to pay already years ago the full price.

So stop you tennage lamento and just move one to either another site or to whatever site which appeals you more and give you more credit for your sad live.

For me dispite financial cutdowns for such ticket prices it was one of the best years in my life which began on 25th November 2013 and keep on running into 2014 with Fire.
The concerts have been outstanding and most of you do not have any idea of the past because you did not see them live then.

Even if the Stones would give you a free concert you would have something to moan about because that is just how you seem to feel.

Posted by: champ72 ()
Date: December 17, 2013 13:17

Grison

We read it a thousand times and a lot of us by now know that the ticket prices are expensive. And we also know since quite a long time that you are frustrated and disappointed by the band. However I also know that some of you got pretty easy free tickets from friends of the Band which are not available anymore for you while we had to pay already years ago the full price.

So stop you tennage lamento and just move one to either another site or to whatever site which appeals you more and give you more credit for your sad live.

For me dispite financial cutdowns for such ticket prices it was one of the best years in my life which began on 25th November 2013 and keep on running into 2014 with Fire.
The concerts have been outstanding and most of you do not have any idea of the past because you did not see them live then.

Even if the Stones would give you a free concert you would have something to moan about because that is just how you seem to feel.

One of the most idiotic, ill-informed post I've seen on this board - and that's really saying something. You're totally missing the point here. It's not just the ticket prices - it's the whole methodology of the ticket sales/ Corporate @#$%&/Resellers/etc. Read the whole thread you clown before you call people out for criticism.

Posted by: vertigojoe ()
Date: December 17, 2013 13:22

Grison

Last year I got pretty annoyed seeing your little tag line with all the shows you had managed to get your precious pit tickets for..
I'm glad you enjoyed paying so much to watch the big Sham.
Don't you know the guitarist has arthritis and can't play anymore
Don't you know the lead singer turned the most dangerous outlaw gang in Rock and Roll into a bunch of corporate ass lickers
Go see some other bands. Gain some perspective..
I'll stay in my lost world with people who actually know what the stones were and represented instead of this legacy mangling monster that arises every so often to seperate suckers from their cash..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-12-17 13:31 by vertigojoe.

Date: December 17, 2013 13:26

Your post Grison was as silly as condescending. The only thing I spotted that was teenage like in all of this was the witless hubris in your childlike delivery of your mundane scribblings.

Date: December 17, 2013 14:25

Grison

take your face for a shit, Grison.

I didnt see them live in the past? LOLOL. Hilarious.

Disappointed and frustrated by the band's records or live shows? Never. Show me where I have been. By their business methods? Absolutely.

Can you tell me when I got a free or discounted ticket? I cant wait to hear about this.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-12-17 14:33 by Gazza.

Date: December 17, 2013 14:31

tatters
Gazza
Beast

Indeed. When thats the barometer that a rock n roll band are using as a contemporary then it speaks volumes.

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: December 17, 2013 14:34

OzHeavyThrobber
The Stones I doubt give a toss about new fans.
you mean, same as the old ones.

They couldn't get away with this shit in Europe, they tried to make it work financially but could not that's why the tentative Euro tour was scrapped.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: December 17, 2013 14:50

Rokyfan
they tried to make it work financially but could not that's why the tentative Euro tour was scrapped.

The way you write this, you make it seem that you know this for a fact, although I suspect it is just what you think.

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: December 17, 2013 14:59

Rolling Hansie
Rokyfan
they tried to make it work financially but could not that's why the tentative Euro tour was scrapped.

The way you write this, you make it seem that you know this for a fact, although I suspect it is just what you think.

It's the way I write; it's just what I think based on what I have read. I have no personal knowledge that they were planning a European tour that didn't happen, but I believe what I have read here about it. I believe what I read about the current economy in Europe and maybe they can't get the money that they can get in, say Singapore, macao and Tokyo. So, just my conclusions.

Posted by: ROPENI ()
Date: December 17, 2013 15:24

Grison

Hey Grison....

"No dope smoking no beer sold after 12 o'clock"

Date: December 17, 2013 15:50

Rokyfan
So, just my conclusions.

Thanks for explaining

-------------------

Date: December 17, 2013 15:54

Grison
Even if the Stones would give you a free concert you would have something to moan about

No, I wouldn't. Actually I think I never moan.

-------------------

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: December 17, 2013 16:34

Again, and PER THE THREAD TITLE, it's not about the prices per se, it's about the WAY the tickets are (on)sold and the prices THOSE tickets are sold at. Fans are treated poorly by a lottery system by the promoters and band who THEN flog the very same seats with a program and lanyard for &500 extra. It's rubbish. And THIS us from a guy who miraculously pulled two front row seats in Adelaide. I was bloody lucky. Friends of mine who tried at exactly the sane time are in the rafters. One missed out totally.

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: December 17, 2013 16:45

The Rolling Stones in their position as "The Greatest Rock 'n'Roll Band Ever", "The Legendary Rock Icons of the 60's", "The Only Once Rival Of The Beatles" etc. simply can not afford to be cheeper then any other band. They must be The No. 1. Act. And they are! Because they still deliver. And thanks for that.

Date: December 17, 2013 16:58

Oh God. Tell me you're 12 and know no better.

Posted by: firebird ()
Date: December 17, 2013 16:59

The Stones have always asked higher prices than other bands, but it was like 20 or 30 percent more. Nowadays it is more like 200 or 300 percent or even more. Thats the big difference.

Posted by: ROPENI ()
Date: December 17, 2013 19:45

This is the kind of place that our boys love to play..What a joke they have become...."Street Fighting Men" MY ASS...

"Abu Dhabi is the second most expensive city for expatriate employees in the region, and 67th most expensive city in the world.[7] Fortune magazine and CNN stated in 2007 that Abu Dhabi is the richest city in the world.[8] However, many residents of Abu Dhabi are blue collared workers who get paid very little, work in relative unsafe environments and live in squalid labour camps; this contrasts with senior managers or executives who earn exhorbitant annual salaries and work in plush offices. Thus, it can be understood that the wealth is not shared equally.

"No dope smoking no beer sold after 12 o'clock"

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2290
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home