Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4
Re: OT: Beatles 'Outtakes' Album Set For iTunes Release
Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: January 1, 2014 11:39

Oh, you can be rest assured that EMI/Capitol et al are planning 50th anniversary releases for individual albums with alternate/expanded formats. No need to shoot their wad all at once, what with the Capitol U.S. reissues of the basic albums coming along this year. Oh no, there's plenty of time, and occasions, for these proposed re-releases to be, well, re-released. Patience, dear boy. They know you'll pony up at the cash register, as will I....

Posted by: bluesinc. ()
Date: January 1, 2014 13:10

retired_dog
24FPS
Stonehearted's theory is that the Stones won't release their 1964 material because it's mostly covers and would therefore not be copyrighted by the Stones. Yet, the Beatles are releasing such material as Taste of Honey, Misery, Money, etc. So maybe we finally get Stones at the BBC and maybe some unreleased songs next year.

And this theory is, sorry to say this, plain wrong. I read many posts here that confuse songwriting copyright with neighboring rights (copyright of the actual recording). The "use it or lose it" term deals with the right of the recorded performances (and this includes the artists -not composers!- and tape owners - record companies, producers, radio or TV stations etc. - rights).

So even for cover versions, the Stones "own" exclusive rights for the recorded performances, which they are about to lose if they don't use them.

And yes, if they still have, let's say, 20 unreleased takes of "Come On" in their vaults, they have to release all 20, not just one or two. Any recording/take that will NOT be released will be in the public domain.

Please note that songwriting copyrights run substantially longer, depending from country to country, in many cases 50 to 70 years after the death of the songwriter. So if you want to release a CD with a public domain Stones performance of, let's say "Roll Over Beethoven", the payment of copyright fees to Chuck Berry is absolutely essential if you don't want to have the police knocking on your front door one day!

will be in the public domain, but if anybody releases this stuff on his own, he has to pay royalties to the composer, writer etc. you just lose the right to use only use your stuff...

Posted by: bluesinc. ()
Date: January 1, 2014 13:15

whitem8
Ok, I dont think I was being fair to Yoko. I did some researching and there is no accounts of Yoko blocking it. However, Macca did say he was working on a photo collage with CL as the soundtrack, yet there is no more mention of the track for possible release, and it would need Ringo, Olivia, and Yoko's approval to release it.

That being said...there are still a lot of interesting things that would be nice. The full version of Helter Skelter please...

I also liked the orginal idea that they were going to release alternate albums for each of the official albums they did, with alternate takes... that would be very cool.

no market, as we know, there is a collectors market (deluxe etc ed) and then thereĀ“s the best of-download market.... nothing left except for dl illegally

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: January 1, 2014 15:10

Not sure I agree there is no market. Everything the Beatles release sells well. Love, Beatles at the BEEB, and One (which astounded me, basically greatest hits packages seem redundant now that you can buy individual songs from iTnes) but it sold and was the top selling disc of the decade.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: January 1, 2014 15:47

The Beatles' song CHRISTMASTIME IS HERE AGAIN that frames their 1967 Fan Club Christmas Message has Ringo singing what I thought was the completely random for-humor's-sake line: "O-U-T spells OUT."

Well, Paul McCartney sings "O-U-T spells OUT" on his new song QUEENIE EYE on his new album New, and he explained that the lines in that part of the song are from a Liverpool street game named Queenie Eye where a player tries to guess who among the other players possesses a ball, and the other players say back:

"Queenie eye, queenie eye, who's got the ball?
I haven't got it, it isn't in my pocket.
O-U-T spells OUT."

So "O-U-T spell OUT" was used by the Beatles in 1967 and again by Paul in 2013.

I heard Paul explain it at the end of this interview:

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: January 1, 2014 16:10

whitem8
Not sure I agree there is no market. Everything the Beatles release sells well. Love, Beatles at the BEEB, and One (which astounded me, basically greatest hits packages seem redundant now that you can buy individual songs from iTnes) but it sold and was the top selling disc of the decade.

'One' was released before the introduction of iTunes and the like, though. I'm sure it wouldn't sell in quite such high quantities, today.

Date: January 1, 2014 16:25

Well if you follow their music as I do you would be aware they are continually selling any of their recorded product in large quantities. iTune doesn't mean a thing, as they have consistently had top sellers and were not on iTunes for most of its history. They just recently in the last few years began selling their products via iTunes, and yet not having been on iTunes did nothing to squelch their high sales. And now that they are on iTunes they sell even more. So alternate albums would undoubtably be big sellers. Oh and check out Beatles at the BEEB Vol 1 and 2, they are selling great!

Date: January 1, 2014 16:47

whitem8
Well if you follow their music as I do you would be aware they are continually selling any of their recorded product in large quantities. iTune doesn't mean a thing, as they have consistently had top sellers and were not on iTunes for most of its history. They just recently in the last few years began selling their products via iTunes, and yet not having been on iTunes did nothing to squelch their high sales. And now that they are on iTunes they sell even more. So alternate albums would undoubtably be big sellers. Oh and check out Beatles at the BEEB Vol 1 and 2, they are selling great!

But you said it 'astounded' you. It made me think you were implying that despite of iTunes. Yeah, anyway, I do agree with you. The fact that the Beatles still shift their products in such huge quantities is utterly astounding. I understand that Abbey Road was the top-selling vinyl LP of 2011(?).

Date: January 1, 2014 17:04

It did surprise me. One a collection of songs that have been released over and over again and yet still sold so well. Kind of crazy but the demand seems to never go down. I do admit I didn't get One, though the packaging was very cool as is the cover.

But that was the original intent of my previous post, that I think if they did release the alternate albums they would sell.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-01-01 17:06 by whitem8.

Date: January 1, 2014 17:37

whitem8
It did surprise me. One a collection of songs that have been released over and over again and yet still sold so well. Kind of crazy but the demand seems to never go down. I do admit I didn't get One, though the packaging was very cool as is the cover.

But that was the original intent of my previous post, that I think if they did release the alternate albums they would sell.

Well, One was the first Beatles 'Greatest Hits' of the CD-age. The fact that its fairly compact and a single disc, probably helped, too. I suspect it enticed a lot to purchadse for the sake of 'owning' some Beatles music. I think the Beatles are an act whom many feel they need or ought to own a collection by. A bit like all those who own Bob Marley's Legend, ABBA Gold or Queen's Greatest Hits. Oh, and Elvis' Number Ones, compilation. That reached #1 on the British Chart and was a big-seller. I suspect the reason for purchasing that was similar to the others mentioned.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: January 1, 2014 19:15

whitem8

Everything the Beatles release sells well. Love, Beatles at the BEEB, and One (which astounded me, basically greatest hits packages seem redundant now that you can buy individual songs from iTnes) but it sold and was the top selling disc of the decade.

Big Al

'One' was released before the introduction of iTunes and the like, though.

Yes, Beatles "1" was first released on 13th-Nov-2000, the Beatles Catalogue at iTunes was for the first time ever available on 16th-Nov-2010.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1696
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home