Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: OT: New Beatles Box To Include All 13 American LPs. - Including 5 Never Before On CD
Posted by: Deluxtone ()
Date: December 13, 2013 14:43

tatters
stonehearted

Plus the recent remasters have them in mono, which I'm sure this Capitol box reissue does not.

Each CD will be packaged in a replica of the original LP art and inner sleeves. The box set will also include a 64-page booklet, and all of the albums aside from Hey Jude and The Beatles' Story will come in mono and stereo. Each of the CDs (aside from The Beatles' Story) will also be available for individual purchase for a limited time.

But Hey Jude is their best US (only) album!

Re: OT: New Beatles Box To Include All 13 American LPs. - Including 5 Never Before On CD
Posted by: Adams ()
Date: December 13, 2013 14:58

From what I've read while the tracklisting is going to match the US one, the mixes will be the British ones... There is an article on superdeluxeedition. Can't link it at the moment. However SDE might not be right about it...

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 13, 2013 16:36

Cristiano Radtke
treaclefingers

$199 on Bravado

CDN$ 127,12 on amazon.

Beauty...just may make me think about it.

EDIT: Thought about it...just pulled the trigger

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-12-13 16:44 by treaclefingers.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: December 13, 2013 18:58

treaclefingers
Cristiano Radtke
treaclefingers

$199 on Bravado

CDN$ 127,12 on amazon.

Beauty...just may make me think about it.

EDIT: Thought about it...just pulled the trigger

Happiness is a warm gun... or a new box-set. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: December 13, 2013 19:22

Adams
From what I've read while the tracklisting is going to match the US one, the mixes will be the British ones... There is an article on superdeluxeedition. Can't link it at the moment. However SDE might not be right about it...

Did the recent two box sets feature the original mixes?

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: December 13, 2013 22:02

Deluxtone
tatters
stonehearted

Plus the recent remasters have them in mono, which I'm sure this Capitol box reissue does not.

Each CD will be packaged in a replica of the original LP art and inner sleeves. The box set will also include a 64-page booklet, and all of the albums aside from Hey Jude and The Beatles' Story will come in mono and stereo. Each of the CDs (aside from The Beatles' Story) will also be available for individual purchase for a limited time.

But Hey Jude is their best US (only) album!

Hey Jude isn't really an album per se, that is, they didn't go into the studio and work on sessions for an album they were planning to call Hey Jude. Rather, it's a collection of non-album singles and B-sides. It's not like you could rightly call it the follow-up to Abbey Road.

Posted by: Adams ()
Date: December 13, 2013 22:38

No idea, I'm no expert smiling smiley
Here's the article:
[www.superdeluxeedition.com]

His Majesty
Adams

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: December 13, 2013 23:00

Adams

That's too bad. The original U.S. version of "I Feel Fine" is a wall of sound...all that echo turns Ringo's drums into glorious thunder.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: December 14, 2013 01:22

His Majesty
Adams

They did. It'd be silly for them not to use the Capitol mixes, since the primary appeal of this collection is that it allows American fans to hear the tracks in the same way we grew up listening to them, with the same running order and the same (arguably inferior, though some swear by the US Rubber Soul) echoey mixes.

Posted by: TippyToe ()
Date: December 14, 2013 02:14

It'a a big world out there people. Why don't you give something else a try instead of buying the same Beatles stuff you already own over and over? McCartney's got enough money.

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: December 14, 2013 03:21

TippyToe
It'a a big world out there people. Why don't you give something else a try instead of buying the same Beatles stuff you already own over and over? McCartney's got enough money.

Oh, I see. And that's why you're on a Rolling Stones forum...

Date: December 14, 2013 03:24

TippyToe

Give something else a try? You mean, like the Exile and Some Girls reissues? Jagger's got enough money.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: December 14, 2013 03:32

Seems strange as there are already two Capital box sets...but I will admit this one looks superior, with the box itself, the booklet, and the mixes used. Amazon Canada has the best price even including shipping. Good post self Christmas gift indeed!

Date: December 14, 2013 05:23

loog droog
Adams

That's too bad. The original U.S. version of "I Feel Fine" is a wall of sound...all that echo turns Ringo's drums into glorious thunder.

thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-12-14 05:41 by tatters.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: December 14, 2013 15:03

Date: December 14, 2013 17:22

Blueranger
TippyToe

Oh, I see. And that's why you're on a Rolling Stones forum...

I see you didn't 'tippytoe' on that retort Blueranger.

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: December 14, 2013 18:02

tatters

Keith's "Sympathy" bass riff always reminded me of the main riff in this song.

Posted by: michaelsavage ()
Date: December 14, 2013 19:32

Sounds boring

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: December 14, 2013 20:50

michaelsavage
Sounds boring

Yay! It wouldn't be a Beatles thread without Mickscarey!

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Date: December 14, 2013 21:14

Deltics
michaelsavage
Sounds boring

Yay! It wouldn't be a Beatles thread without Mickscarey!

that was a savage comment Deltics.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: December 14, 2013 21:42

I'm just curious as to when exactly the milk in this cash-cow called The Beatles runs out?

[thepowergoats.com]

Date: December 14, 2013 21:52

jamesfdouglas
I'm just curious as to when exactly the milk in this cash-cow called The Beatles runs out?

When they have faded from living memory. Maybe not even then. Who's buying all these Frank Sinatra box sets they keep putting out? Anyone old enough to have been a fan right from the beginning would have to be in their 80s or 90s by now.

Date: December 14, 2013 22:15

tatters
jamesfdouglas

When they have faded from living memory. Maybe not even then. Who's buying all these Frank Sinatra box sets they keep putting out? Anyone old enough to have been a fan right from the beginning would have to be in their 80s or 90s by now.

True, I noticed they now have a box set of Sinatra Duets. I'm guilty of preordering the Elvis box set of Soundtracks...20 albums for $30, at least they're not ripping us off!

Date: December 15, 2013 01:58

tatters
His Majesty
Adams

They did. It'd be silly for them not to use the Capitol mixes, since the primary appeal of this collection is that it allows American fans to hear the tracks in the same way we grew up listening to them, with the same running order and the same (arguably inferior, though some swear by the US Rubber Soul) echoey mixes.

If they just took those original versions and slapped them onto CD, these might have shared the fate of first-generation CDs--that is, scratchy and distant sounding--so it makes sense that the 2009 remasters would be the reference, since these Capitol versions would have been remastered by now anyway.

According to the link posted above, the original mixes supplied to Capitol by George Martin will be the source, the original 1960s analog tapes used by Capitol. Though they'll be dropping the fake stereo and uniquely Capitol reverb, "the track listings have been recreated by a mix of 2009 core catalogue remasters and original 1960s Capitol analogue master tapes. and EQ more in line with the US audience of the 1960s".

So it seems that instead of a merely over-compressed digital enhancement, the warmth and balance of the vinyl versions will be retained--which is the very quality that made The Who's 2011 reissue of Quadrophenia such a welcome change from the previously inferior cold and scratchy CD version.

Despite the fact of a previous Capitol reissue box set, it makes sense that a new version with the 2009 remasters as a reference should be essential, considering how well the results were with the stereo and mono versions of the British albums.

Date: December 15, 2013 02:07

Oh, and for those who subscribe to the "cash cow" school of thought and wonder how much longer people will go on buying the same old Beatles material, consider this rather telling statistic:

Upon its November 13, 2000 release, The Beatles compilation of 27 #1 songs, titled simply 1, topped the charts in 35 countries and went on to be the biggest selling album of the decade, topping out in 2009 with sales of 11,499,000.

The Beatles: the choice of the new millennium.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: December 15, 2013 02:13

michaelsavage
Sounds boring

For once I agree with Mr Savage's notion. Sounds boring. Like a Macca concert. Or collecting stamps. But then again I'm not an obsessive Beatles fan...

Date: December 16, 2013 04:55

A new version of #9 Dream by Swedish singer/songwriter Jose Gonzalez, which is being featured in a new movie.

Soundcloud link at: [www.baeblemusic.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-12-23 06:02 by stonehearted.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: December 16, 2013 20:12

so this just seems a reordering of the already remastered stereo/mono songs with new artwork (the US covers)??

I guess there's a market for the US versions of these songs, but this doesn't even seem to fulfill that.

Very odd collection. For completists only I guess.

Posted by: Ross ()
Date: December 16, 2013 22:54

kovach
so this just seems a reordering of the already remastered stereo/mono songs with new artwork (the US covers)??

I guess there's a market for the US versions of these songs, but this doesn't even seem to fulfill that.

Very odd collection. For completists only I guess.

Definitely a US market for it! These are the versions we grew up with over here. Sure, I've now gotten used to the UK versions that all of the previous CDs are based (and prefer most of them), but "Yesterday and Today" was one of my favorite albums of my childhood! I still hear that sequencing in my head. And I think the US version of Rubber Soul makes for a more consistent, folky, acoustic set.

However, we were robbed of one of the best albums ever with the version of "A Hard Day's Night" that we got. I had a roommate in college that had an import of the UK version and I was floored at what a solid, cohesive piece of pop perfection the album is in the original version as conceived by the Beatles. A John Lennon tour de force! We didn't get that album here until what, 1987? Until then our version was just the songs from the movie and orchestral, instrumental versions of the same songs. Pure crap as a total album.

I don't know if I'll buy the whole box, but if they sell them separately I might pick up a couple for nostagia's sake. I'm sure the remasters will sound as pristine as the other remasters, and I hope they keep the US mixes in the cases where they were different. Love me some Fabs!

Ross

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: December 16, 2013 23:02

tatters
loog droog
Adams

thumbs up

slower speed/lower pitch, mono music, stereo crackles. grinning smiley

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2956
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home