Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Today's catch: Singles and LPs (Vinyl)
Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: December 22, 2013 17:43

Dandie, what's there on that THE BEST OF THE REST compilation? And when that one was released? Sounds an interesting collection, and I don't recall ever hearding of it.

- Doxa

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 22, 2013 19:04

I grabbed the RSD 'Rolling Stones' EP off Amazon for under $10. Saved me the angst of the RSD lineup!

I still need to get 5x5 and GLIYWI RSD editions.

Date: December 22, 2013 21:59

Doxa
Dandie, what's there on that THE BEST OF THE REST compilation? And when that one was released? Sounds an interesting collection, and I don't recall ever hearding of it.

- Doxa

Lots of goodies. The live EP, alternate takes on early tracks as Poison Ivy and Fortune Teller, Memo From Turner + the B-side, the italian ATGB etc. + lots of deep album tracks and singles/b sides from 64 to 70. + Da Doo Ron Ron and Memphis Tennessee. A wonderful compilation. It's also dubbed as Stones' Story 2.

German, released in 1983.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-12-22 22:03 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: December 22, 2013 23:43

Thanks. Had I've been able to get that into my hands in 1983, that would have been a treasure, and I most likely had save much energy in trying to find all those rarities... (But then again, trying to find all those B-side numbers, EPs etc. was part of the fun..grinning smiley)

- Doxa

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 23, 2013 00:21

ROCKMAN

Date: December 23, 2013 01:22

A lovely piece of rock'n'roll history that someone here just described as rubbish confused smiley

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 23, 2013 01:30

...whowherewhat ??.... Me mum knows a guy who loves ta drive-by ..

ROCKMAN

Date: December 23, 2013 01:35

smiling smiley

Date: December 23, 2013 01:48

DandelionPowderman
A lovely piece of rock'n'roll history that someone here just described as rubbish confused smiley

I think they may have been referring to the album, which is still rude, but closer to accurate.

I don't think anyone hates the EP.

Date: December 23, 2013 02:10

Thinking about the other GOT LIVE IF YOU WANT IT! release (LP), does anyone know was that ever released on CD? As far as I know, ABCKCO re-mixed the album with quite a strong hand during the mid-80's (a longer intro by Baldry, a different version of "Under My Thumb", a supposedly better balance of instruments), and the CD versions I have heard contain only this 'new' version. Which is not the 'real deal' that was known for 20 years or so. The original edition had this funny mix of having Jagger on one channel and all the rest in other. Anyway, I think the new edition has much weaker version of "Under My Thumb" (even though the whole sound of the band is better presented), slower and less energetic, and especially Jagger's vocals are not so wild and hectic. Keith's (and probably there is someone else too) interesting back vocals - just singing "Under my thuuuuumb" nicely adding some special effect to it, if I recall right - are also missing from the 'new' version (probably all the vocals were over-dubbed in the original?). Does anyone know what I am talking about? This album is almost never talked about in this forum, or when it is, it is just mocked...

Anyway, I think it essential to own the vinyl version of the album! Dandie, you have it yet?

- Doxa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2013-12-23 02:20 by Doxa.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: December 23, 2013 02:17

Have you sat and A/B'd them?

As I recall the UMT's are the same, just with different overdubs. The album wasn't remixed, merely remastered, but for whatever reason a slightly different version ended up on it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-12-23 02:31 by His Majesty.

Date: December 23, 2013 02:33

His Majesty
Have you sat and A/B'd them?

As I recall the UMT's are the same, just with different overdubs. The album wasn't remixed, merely remastered and an slightly different version ended up on it.

No, I haven't. The problem is that I only own the LP version of it, and at the moment I don't have a system to listen vinyls (but I've listened that so much back in the day so that it is rather deep in my brainsgrinning smiley). The CD version I have heard - just a listen here or there - all have sounded very different to my image of that. The vocals are definitively different, but I think the tempo as well (even though probably being the same performance?).

But the point is that I am just talking from the base of my memory here, so I can't really really say anything certain...

- Doxa

Date: December 23, 2013 02:39

Richie Unterberger in [www.allmusic.com] writes that:

The result is the Rolling Stones album that has undergone more changes than any other in its various incarnations. First, there was the original LP version and the mix it featured, which left out most of the introduction and virtually any between-song talk by Mick Jagger; his voice was brought up and the rest of the band sounds somewhat suppressed; one channel of the stereo version had Jagger's voice isolated and amplified to ridiculous prominence, while the other channel had a relatively "flat" and realistic balance on the concert material. In fact, if you took the latter channel and bumped it onto both channels of an open-reel tape, the result was a short but pretty good live performance. In the mid-'80s, ABKCO Records took control of the Stones' library and went back to the original source tapes for the Got Live if You Want It! CD, re-editing the material in consultation with producer Andrew Oldham, improving the mixes on several of the songs, including "The Last Time," "Time Is on My Side," and "19th Nervous Breakdown," and also giving a fuller account of Long John Baldry's introduction. That was a step in the right direction and improved the record somewhat. Then, in 2002, came the SACD hybrid remastering of the album for a new CD edition, which is likely to be the last word in improvement on this album. The balances are finally realistic, in terms of Jagger's voice and the rest of the band -- Bill Wyman's bass work and Charlie Watts' drumming are consistently rewarding, and Keith Richards and Brian Jones have their moments, as well, though not as consistently. The performances were done, after all, under what were, at best, siege conditions, with little opportunity for finesse or nuance.

And someone in Wikipedia claims:

1."Under My Thumb" – 2:54
1 October 1966: City Hall, Newcastle upon tyne on LP and CD – changed to 7 October 1966: Colston Hall, Bristol on SACD

??????

- Doxa

Date: December 23, 2013 05:22

Interesting read on the remixing of GLIYWI, thanks for that.

I think what I'd like now, is a box set of ALL the LIVE vinyls, starting with GLIYWI, GYYYO, LYL and continuing on through Stripped and finally vinyls of the 6 downloads including Brussels and Hampton, all in lovely 180 grams and for under $200.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: December 23, 2013 05:48

treaclefingers

I think what I'd like now, is a box set of ALL the LIVE vinyls, starting with GLIYWI, GYYYO, LYL and continuing on through Stripped and finally vinyls of the 6 downloads including Brussels and Hampton, all in lovely 180 grams and for under $200.

They would most likely all be brickwalled to @#$%&. thumbs down

What i'd like is for yhem to release a download of the raw recordings from the 1966 UK tour. thumbs up

Date: December 23, 2013 09:55

Isn't there a difference between the mixes on Got Live If You Want It and Have You Seen Your Mother - LIVE as well?

As I recall, UMT sounds different on those two releases...

Date: December 23, 2013 17:14

His Majesty
treaclefingers

They would most likely all be brickwalled to @#$%&. thumbs down

What i'd like is for yhem to release a download of the raw recordings from the 1966 UK tour. thumbs up

I don't have the brickwalled versions yet...they sound like collector's items!

Posted by: gipsy12 ()
Date: December 26, 2013 10:40

I started collecting Vinyl not long ago - my three last lp's:

By the way I have a question to the expert-vinyl collectors - sounds perhaps a little bit stupid to you: Do you keep the more precious lp's in a special way to protect them?

No. 2 UK 1964

Aftermath 1966 UK 2nd

December's Children US 1965:

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: December 26, 2013 13:17

I go to extremes when storing my albums and singles. I use blank cardboard outer sleeves and poly-lined inner sleeves. I put the records in there and store the original ablbum sleeve seperately. This prevents ring wear. Maybe other people do it differently?

Posted by: gipsy12 ()
Date: December 26, 2013 16:37

frankotero
I go to extremes when storing my albums and singles. I use blank cardboard outer sleeves and poly-lined inner sleeves. I put the records in there and store the original ablbum sleeve seperately. This prevents ring wear. Maybe other people do it differently?

Thank you for answering - I already discovered, that sometimes it's difficult to put them back in the original sleeve.

Posted by: 1963luca0 ()
Date: December 26, 2013 18:40

Arrived just in time for Christmas:
USA, 2LP, ABKCO 'Hot Rocks'very limited edition in clear vinyl with clear plastic inner sleeves.
What if it becomes an instant rarity?
Happy new year, happy vinyl hunting,
Luca

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-12-26 18:41 by 1963luca0.

Date: December 26, 2013 19:15

1963luca0
Arrived just in time for Christmas:
USA, 2LP, ABKCO 'Hot Rocks'very limited edition in clear vinyl with clear plastic inner sleeves.
What if it becomes an instant rarity?
Happy new year, happy vinyl hunting,
Luca

Got that this summer as well as the Let It Bleed and Beggar's clear vinyl AND a boxset of the 1964-69 vinyl, the day after the stones concert in Toronto June 6.

An expensive trip!

Posted by: Per-Arne ()
Date: December 26, 2013 21:46

DandelionPowderman
Doxa

- Doxa

Lots of goodies. The live EP, alternate takes on early tracks as Poison Ivy and Fortune Teller, Memo From Turner + the B-side, the italian ATGB etc. + lots of deep album tracks and singles/b sides from 64 to 70. + Da Doo Ron Ron and Memphis Tennessee. A wonderful compilation. It's also dubbed as Stones' Story 2.

There is also a version with CS-Blues as a bonus-single in the box. Just a white label and nothing on the flip side on the single. Only a sticker on the plastic that was wrapped around the box when it was new back in 1983. This version was withdrawn after short time and have another record-number.

Per-Arne

Posted by: 1963luca0 ()
Date: December 26, 2013 22:07

Thanks Treaclefingers,
just placed my order.
Can you tell if more titles exist, please?
I admit I missed them...
Happy new year,
Luca

Date: December 27, 2013 01:29

1963luca0
Thanks Treaclefingers,
just placed my order.
Can you tell if more titles exist, please?
I admit I missed them...
Happy new year,
Luca

I think the plan was probably to release more...I think I read this was the 'first installment' of reissues.

With that said I don't know how well they sold so I'm not sure there will necessarily be any future clear vinyl releases. Haven't heard anything on it since these were released in the spring.

Posted by: boston2006 ()
Date: December 27, 2013 10:58

That is all that has been released thus far .

Here's where to keep a watch if you're looking for more in the future .

[www.abkco.com]

Date: December 27, 2013 11:08

Per-Arne
DandelionPowderman
Doxa

- Doxa

There is also a version with CS-Blues as a bonus-single in the box. Just a white label and nothing on the flip side on the single. Only a sticker on the plastic that was wrapped around the box when it was new back in 1983. This version was withdrawn after short time and have another record-number.

Per-Arne

Yeah, I know. Unfortunately, it wasn't included here.

This compilation also has the 1:54 version of Tell Me. I think I have four versions now smiling smiley

Date: December 27, 2013 11:37

No Stones today, but a few LPs I had before, as well as a nice Kinks promo single:

How Are You:

Dave Davies/The Album That Never Was:

Clapton/461 Ocean Boulevard:

The Cult/Dreamtime - different version:

Date: December 27, 2013 13:10

Per-Arne
DandelionPowderman
Doxa

- Doxa

Per-Arne

Okay, that was the short entrance of "CS Blues" as an 'official' release. I did know that it was realesed in Germany around the time, but didn't know the context.

- Doxa

Date: December 27, 2013 13:56

Yep

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1811
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home