Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Track Talk: Rain Fall Down
Posted by: GOO ()
Date: December 10, 2013 21:13

She saw me coming might be better

Date: December 11, 2013 00:37

Rockman
Ya forgot Water Shame off Aftermath!....Hey dat's a good one Daggs

Even better on Now or No 2 (can't remember myself!) smiling smiley

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: December 11, 2013 02:58

DandelionPowderman
tatters
Some years ago I put forth the proposition that Mick is actually singing about his days living in the flat on Edith Grove. No one seemed to agree with me, though. grinning smiley

Good one! Maybe Keith and Brian made some eggs for him grinning smiley

It was a filthy block of flats
Trash was on the floor
The stink was in my nose
Hinges off the door

A perfectly accurate description of the flat at 102 Edith Grove that Mick shared with Keith and Brian in 62-63.

She took me in her room
All was spick and span

The hookers who lived in the same building kept their flats nice and clean. Spic And Span means immaculately clean and is also the name of a household cleaning product that has been around since the 1930s.

And the rain fell down

As it often does in London.

And the phone kept ringing

This is the line that made me realize the song is set in 1962. It kept ringing because before people had answering machines that's what phones did. They kept ringing until you picked up or the caller hung up.

Everybody's jazzed

The British blues boom was a reaction to everyone being sick to death of trad jazz.

The bankers are @#$%& every Thursday night
they just vomit on the ground

The Stones played at the Marquee on Thursday nights. The "bankers" may refer to certain people who showed up for the gigs, but who were there mainly to get loaded and had little interest in the music .... much like some of the people in the audiences today!

Everybody's dreaming
Everybody's scheming

"Everybody" meaning the Stones and their friends.

She cooked up some eggs
Then she made some tea
Kissed me on the cheek
Then I turned on her TV

The hookers who lived in the building would often cook and clean for the boys in return for their sexual services. Hookers don't like to kiss on the mouth. Germs, you know.

It was all the usual crap
All the usual sleaze
For 10,000 quid
Some bimbo spilled the beans

This is what makes me positive the song is set in 62-63. Mick is watching a news report about how one of the girls involved in the Profumo Affair sold her story to the newspapers for 10,000 quid. Also, Mick says "quid". He hasn't thought in terms of "quid" since the Stones left England.

Also, on the ABB tour, the song was often played right after "As Tears Go By" which is also a song about London in the early days.

"All I hear is the sound of rain falling on the ground"

And there's even a secret message for anyone who figured out the clues. It's the first line of the next song on the album.

"You're awful bright, you're awful smart"

Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 2013-12-11 03:17 by tatters.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: December 11, 2013 03:19

Tatters, impressive!thumbs up

- Doxa

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: December 11, 2013 04:44

Doxa

- Doxa

Tatters seems to know an awful lot about what was happening in that block of flats!!

Dreadful song, by the way

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: December 11, 2013 10:26

The hookers who lived in the building would often cook and clean for the boys in return for their sexual services.

...Now this one is gonna keep me wondering - and probably, daydreaming - for all remaining office hours today.

Great song btw.

awful bright, awful smart... > Brian Jones?!

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: December 11, 2013 10:35

tatters
Hookers don't like to kiss on the mouth. Germs, you know.

Source?grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-12-11 10:50 by stonehearted.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: December 11, 2013 10:43

Doxa

- Doxa

Yeah, I'm sold!!

Date: December 11, 2013 10:45

tatters
DandelionPowderman
tatters
Some years ago I put forth the proposition that Mick is actually singing about his days living in the flat on Edith Grove. No one seemed to agree with me, though. grinning smiley

Trash was on the floor
The stink was in my nose
Hinges off the door

A perfectly accurate description of the flat at 102 Edith Grove that Mick shared with Keith and Brian in 62-63.

She took me in her room
All was spick and span

The hookers who lived in the same building kept their flats nice and clean. Spic And Span means immaculately clean and is also the name of a household cleaning product that has been around since the 1930s.

And the rain fell down

This is the line that made me realize the song is set in 1962. It kept ringing because before people had answering machines that's what phones did. They kept ringing until you picked up or the caller hung up.

Everybody's jazzed

The British blues boom was a reaction to everyone being sick to death of trad jazz.

The Stones played at the Marquee on Thursday nights. The "bankers" may refer to certain people who showed up for the gigs, but who were there mainly to get loaded and had little interest in the music .... much like some of the people in the audiences today!

Everybody's dreaming
Everybody's scheming

She cooked up some eggs
Then she made some tea
Kissed me on the cheek
Then I turned on her TV

The hookers who lived in the building would often cook and clean for the boys in return for their sexual services. Hookers don't like to kiss on the mouth. Germs, you know.

All the usual sleaze
For 10,000 quid

This is what makes me positive the song is set in 62-63. Mick is watching a news report about how one of the girls involved in the Profumo Affair sold her story to the newspapers for 10,000 quid. Also, Mick says "quid". He hasn't thought in terms of "quid" since the Stones left England.

Also, on the ABB tour, the song was often played right after "As Tears Go By" which is also a song about London in the early days.

And there's even a secret message for anyone who figured out the clues. It's the first line of the next song on the album.

thumbs up

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: December 11, 2013 11:14

Doxa

- Doxa

And, besides, even more, inspiring for the listening to the song.

Where I have always found this song fascinating (that remark about psychedelia), here is an interpretation that gives some outright "dirty" associations to the song. Sex and sex and sex! And, at once, due to Tatters' observations, as such correct or not correct (not even decisive), the song has been given some dangerous and naughty attributes! Marvellous!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-12-11 11:16 by Witness.

Re: The Department of Historical Accuracy
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: December 11, 2013 11:37

Er ... where did anyone get the idea that there were hookers living at Edith Grove?
There were some student nurses downstairs for a while, who did assorted things for/with the fledgling Stones,
including washing dishes and no doubt the occasional bonk, but they weren't hookers
(and I seriously doubt they owned a TV). After they moved out some men moved in. There was a married couple living upstairs.

Anyway why would hookers wash their neighbours' dishes in exchange for "sexual services"??

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-12-11 17:31 by with sssoul.

Posted by: GetYerAngie ()
Date: December 11, 2013 17:03

tatters
DandelionPowderman
tatters

Trash was on the floor
The stink was in my nose
Hinges off the door

She took me in her room
All was spick and span

And the rain fell down

Everybody's jazzed

Everybody's dreaming
Everybody's scheming

She cooked up some eggs
Then she made some tea
Kissed me on the cheek
Then I turned on her TV

All the usual sleaze
For 10,000 quid

Interesting interpretation, Tatters!
Along with It won't take long, Oh no not you again, Laugh I nearly died Rain Fall Down was one of my favourites on ABB. The ringing-riff is marvelous, the beat, the groove and Jagger's vocal. I really love the feeling and the sound of RFD. It is a latterday highlight.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: December 11, 2013 17:16

A very picturesque song.

Date: December 11, 2013 19:28

with sssoul
Er ... where did anyone get the idea that there were hookers living at Edith Grove?

From Keith Richards. "Four whores from Liverpool..." - ROLLING STONE 1971 interview.

- Doxa

Date: December 11, 2013 20:31

Keith downgraded those nurses pretty badly winking smiley

Date: December 12, 2013 04:10

Every time the phone rings it sounds like thunder
Some stupid guy trying to reach another number

-Come On (1963)

The end is the beginning is the end.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-12-12 05:14 by tatters.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: December 12, 2013 04:23

Doxa
with sssoul

From Keith Richards. "Four whores from Liverpool..." - ROLLING STONE 1971 interview.

- Doxa

That's funny. I thought Keith was fond of The Beatles. Perhaps he was just reacting to the recent acerbic interview with Lennon.

Date: December 12, 2013 04:34

with sssoul
There were some student nurses downstairs for a while, who did assorted things for/with the fledgling Stones,
including washing dishes and no doubt the occasional bonk, but they weren't hookers
(and I seriously doubt they owned a TV). After they moved out some men moved in. There was a married couple living upstairs.

Anyway why would hookers wash their neighbours' dishes in exchange for "sexual services"??

From Chris Andersen's "Jagger Unauthorized"

"By way of immersing himself in the low life, Mick paid an occasional visit to his downstairs neighbors. "Allo, dahlin', 'ow are ya? All right?" they would ask each time Mick made his way up the rickety stairs. Keith described them as "real old boots," but in reality they were probably in the mid-thirties. More nursemaids than hookers, they brought barley soup and blankets when the boys were suffering through hangovers or the flu. Appalled at the conditions under which these young musicians were living, they even volunteered to do the cleaning. By way of compensation, Mick, Keith, and Brian would take turns having sex with the women."

So .... "more nursemaids than hookers" .... but still hookers.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: December 12, 2013 11:22

No, not "still hookers". You know what hookers do for a living, right?
The Department of Historical Accuracy is beginning to wonder eye rolling smiley

Date: December 12, 2013 11:54

tatters
with sssoul

From Chris Andersen's "Jagger Unauthorized"

"By way of immersing himself in the low life, Mick paid an occasional visit to his downstairs neighbors. "Allo, dahlin', 'ow are ya? All right?" they would ask each time Mick made his way up the rickety stairs. Keith described them as "real old boots," but in reality they were probably in the mid-thirties. More nursemaids than hookers, they brought barley soup and blankets when the boys were suffering through hangovers or the flu. Appalled at the conditions under which these young musicians were living, they even volunteered to do the cleaning. By way of compensation, Mick, Keith, and Brian would take turns having sex with the women."

So .... "more nursemaids than hookers" .... but still hookers.

I guess Anderson is just trying to interpret Keith's sayings (in that 1971 interview) in more polite way. There is that word "probably"...

- Doxa

Date: December 12, 2013 12:39

tatters
Every time the phone rings it sounds like thunder
Some stupid guy trying to reach another number

-Come On (1963)

The end is the beginning is the end.

Should have been "jerk"...

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: December 22, 2017 00:01

Just hearing this version for the first time...

I'm digging the melodic flourishes - principally from the blaxploitation strings. A shame in doesn't have the vocals on it (excepting the odd phrase), as I am quite partial to Mick's part in the original.

I think a braver 70s Stones would have gone in this direction for the album released version - on things like Fingerprint File they got pretty far out of their 'comfort zone' (I don't like that phrase, but I'm too relaxed to think of a synonym).

What d'yall make of it?

Rain Fell Down remix

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: December 22, 2017 01:01

pike bishop
Its great that everyone has a different handle on the song,I myself always thought it was one of the better songs from an album which is pretty shitty.

My thoughts as well.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 22, 2017 01:03

peoplewitheyes

What d'yall make of it?

Rain Fell Down remix

First time hearing it, thanks. I like it. thumbs up
I don't miss Jaggers vocals from the original here, but maybe a few more dubbed in phrases would have been nice.
And while I do sort of like the original version, I'm liking this even more - the retro funkiness is very nice.

Funnily enough, the Beatles Rain video played right after this on my youtube account - a masterpiece that puts any version of Rain Fall Down to shame.

Posted by: beachbreak ()
Date: December 22, 2017 02:22

I like the sound of that guitar part.

It's different.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: December 22, 2017 13:59

beachbreak

It's different.

Different but not that catchy or too appealing. I love ABB but this is one of 4 tracks they could have left off.

Date: December 22, 2017 14:27

beachbreak

It's different.

It's not that different to Sex Drive, Hot Stuff and others, really. A variation of classic James Brown guitar funk-riff.

I like the studio version. Live, it was pretty bad, imo.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 22, 2017 18:10

peoplewitheyes
Just hearing this version for the first time...

I'm digging the melodic flourishes - principally from the blaxploitation strings. A shame in doesn't have the vocals on it (excepting the odd phrase), as I am quite partial to Mick's part in the original.

I think a braver 70s Stones would have gone in this direction for the album released version - on things like Fingerprint File they got pretty far out of their 'comfort zone' (I don't like that phrase, but I'm too relaxed to think of a synonym).

What d'yall make of it?

Rain Fell Down remix

Boring.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: December 22, 2017 18:43

rain fall down is one of the better songs on a bigger bang, its a good song, nothing more, could never reach classic status.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: December 22, 2017 19:35

In a perfect world, they would alternate "Miss You" with "Emotional Rescue" and "Rain Fall Down" in concert. Of course, in a perfect world, "Sweet Thing" would be a Rolling Stones song and part of the rotation.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2441
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home