Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Keith interview - The New Zealand Herald
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: December 7, 2013 16:50

Keith Richards ready to roll back the years

By Graham Reid
Thursday Dec 5, 2013

As the Rolling Stones prepare to bring their 50th anniversary celebrations to Auckland, guitarist Keith Richards talks to Graham Reid.

A few minutes before the appointed time the phone rings and a scratchy voice wheezes, "Hello man, s'Keith".

And it is. No intermediary, no international call connection through a third party, just Keith Richards laughing down the line. Which is unexpected in a world where stars have minions to connect calls (and sometimes listening, in case things get "awkward" for their client) but even more so in this case. Because Richards' people asked for written questions in advance, which is unusual, and then came back with them modified.

My guess is Richards never saw any of that because - as when he spoke to TimeOut in 2006 before the last Rolling Stones tour - he's his customary jocular self, although nothing much is revealed. And you wonder if he realises how far 2013 has ticked down when saying he and Mick Jagger have spoken about getting back into the studio "this year".

But here they come again, 50 years after Richards, Jagger and others formed around Brian Jones as the Rollin' Stones. And, on the evidence of the DVD film Sweet Summer Sun of their Hyde Park concerts in July, thoroughly enjoying themselves.

"Glastonbury and the Hyde Parks were amazing," Richards says enthusiastically "and we were blessed with good weather, which is rare in Britain. The whole year has been great and we played in America before that, so the reason we're coming over your way is everyone is still up and saying, 'Let's do some more'. So it was, 'Okay, let's go Downunder'."

Richards, who turns 70 this month, says he never doubted they would do more shows, it was just finding everyone in the right mood at the same time: "I'm always up for it, they can count on me," he cackles in that throaty, dry laugh.

Although not given to reflection, and having told his story in the 2010 autobiography, Life, Richards does remember when he thought the young Stones had a shot at making it.

"The first time was when I got into a recording studio [in 1963], that was like entering the portals of heaven and it grew from there. But after Satisfaction [in 1965] we all felt we had a chance of a career."

Although there was no career path for young bands such as them or the Beatles?

"Just winging it, and making it look like you knew what you were doing. That includes everybody, like promoters. It was all unmapped and you made it up as you went along."

And looking at documentary footage of their chaotic early shows or the disastrous Altamont festival in 1969 where fans, Hells Angels and even a dog were on the stage reminds you how disorganised rock'n'roll used to be.

"Ramshackle, man. That [Altamont] show was thrown together by the Grateful Dead because we had no experience of that and it was their speciality. So we arrived and thought, 'This is the way it's done'."

But would never be done that way again?

"Oh no, I draw a line there, man."

So much history with the Stones: headlines, heroin, death and yet survival against the odds. And, lest we forget, great songs coming right up to their recent Doom And Gloom, the first Jagger-Richards composition in a decade.

Do he and Mick just not cross paths often enough to write?

"We absolutely do. We always have some work on the go and it's about getting off the hiatus and back in the studio. I think we have plans. Don't nail me down, but I got a call from Mick the other day saying sometime this year we better get in the studio.

"When Mick and I are on the road we put ideas together and one thing leads to another. Playing live gives songwriting and recording more impetus, so I'm hoping we can come out with something great over the next few months."

For their anniversary the Stones have also brought back guitarist Mick Taylor - coming to New Zealand with them - who joined them at their first Hyde Park concert in 1969 - replacing Jones who had died just days before - and was in the band for five years.

"Everyone was going on about the 50th anniversary and we thought, 'Well, there's still a couple of Stones around who might want to join in'. [Former bassist] Bill Wyman did some gigs in London along with Mick Taylor, but dropped out because he doesn't like flying. So we said to Mick, 'Do you want to continue?' and he said, 'Yeah'.

"Ronnie [Wood] and I have a great time because now there are three guitars and that gives us a bit more room to manoeuvre, that's much more fun."

But makes the ancient art of weaving, as you refer to it, a bit more complex?

"A little more embroidery."

Where once audiences would come on the basis of the Stones' notoriety, today they capture a broad demographic drawn more for the music and sense of the event.

"Yes, it's weird because, once again, no one has been here this long in a rock 'n' roll band. I think we just carried the generation along with us and some of the younger ones still pick it up. It's hard to put your finger on it.

"You expect to be rejected by the next generation because that's what they do. But there seems to be some thread in what we do that busts through all that, and thank God it's a long piece of string."

Richards says if he were to point to any album to explain the Stones he'd pick Exile On Main Street ("because it's a double album so there's more range on it" ), which is hardly surprising given he largely helmed it at his tax-exile haven in the south of France as the increasingly damaged 60s turned into the seedy 70s.

Although he rarely listens to Stones' songs ("on radio, by accident" ), when they reconvene they often go back to their vast catalogue "to find out how we originally played it, and to pick the essence out of it. We do quite a bit of research on ourselves when we're rehearsing."

Any career advice to young musicians from a man who never planned a career? "Perseverance. If you really want to do it and you hit brick walls, just dust yourself off and keep going."

As he has done, even after that holiday in Fiji in 2006 when he slipped from a tree just days after the Auckland concert.

"And I came right back to Auckland. Dr Andrew Law saved my bacon."

It seems opportune to mention that when he was having neurosurgery I was asked to write his obituary, just in case.

He laughs again - "put that on the backburner for a while" - and I tell him I quoted Charlie Watts, who once said, "There's something about music that likes being around Keith."

"Oh, bless him. I'll wear it like a cloak."

Keith Richards' message to NZ > [bcove.me]

[www.nzherald.co.nz]

Re: Keith interview - The New Zealand Herald
Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: December 7, 2013 17:17

Thanks, nice interview,

"but I got a call from Mick the other day saying sometime this year we better get in the studio"

Someone breathing down Mick's neck ? Chuck ? ;-) Anyway let's do it guys !

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: December 8, 2013 06:01

Herald On Sunday has a piece about artist Keith.

Rolling Stone Keith Richards' last artwork discovered in NZ

By Russell Blackstock, Lynley Bilby
Sunday Dec 8, 2013

Owner thinks he 'stuffed it up' by signing it

Richards painted the pastel watercolour (inset) while recuperating at Auckland's Cotter House in 2006 after falling out of a tree in Fiji.
Photo / Doug Sherring, NZPA

A never-before-seen painting by Rolling Stones rocker Keith Richards has been stashed in a drawer in a swanky Auckland bed and breakfast for the past seven years.

The watercolour is expected to cause a stir internationally, with experts saying it could be worth several hundred thousand dollars.

The guitarist, who turns 70 this month, painted it while recuperating at Auckland's Cotter House in 2006 after falling out of a tree in Fiji.

He gave it to owner Gloria Poupard-Walbridge as a parting gift - but she has kept if off the walls at her five-star Remuera lodge because she says Richards' signature, penned in a thick black marker, has ruined the picture.

"It was pretty good picture until he signed it with a felt pen and stuffed it up," she said yesterday.

The gregarious hostess said it had been consigned to a drawer beneath some linen because she couldn't bring herself to frame it.

"I am surrounded by beautiful objects and I don't want to seem offensive but I have so much beautiful art I don't have enough room to hang other art that isn't worthy."

Poupard-Walbridge said she loved the tranquility of the painting and was now holding on to it for sentimental reasons.

Painted over several days on a $3.95 canvas and a small table easel, the delicate pastel and watercolour depicts a water scene at sunset, with a steamship at full throttle. Seagulls soar above the ship, the smoke effect created by careful artistic smudging.

Poupard-Walbridge said not many people were aware of Richards' talent as an artist. A chance conversation with an art student working as a gardener at Cotter House had spurred the rocker into sketching and painting. She said it reflected a time of healing and peace as he rested with his family during a three-week stay at the lodge.

He would often spend hours in the stately ballroom painting and strumming his acoustic guitar.

She said Richards was hurriedly signing photographs when he signed the painting with the same marker pen and handed it to her as a parting gift. She said she might consider auctioning it one day.

Webbs managing director Neil Campbell said the painting had the potential to attract big interest, especially from the large Rolling Stones fan base.

The painting was created at an interesting period in Richards' life, and works outside an iconic performer's traditional sphere of talent were often sought after.

In the past week, an A4 piece of paper with the original, handwritten lyrics to Bruce Springsteen's Born To Run sold at auction for $280,000.

"It's cool to think his hand and mind created something so soft and thoughtful," said Campbell.

He said Webbs would be keen to market the work internationally.

The Rolling Stones will perform in Auckland next April and Poupard-Walbridge contacted the band's New Zealand promoters to offer them the lodge for their stay but was told accommodation had already been arranged.

"It is a pity Keith won't be coming back to stay with us because he and his family were such nice people," she said. "The neighbours liked them, too, and would call the lodge to say if there was any photographers lurking about, which meant his wife, Patti, could slip out and do some shopping or go to the hairdressers when the coast was clear.

"The Rolling Stones have a reputation of being rather wild but Keith was an absolute gentleman."

Gloria Poupard-Walbridge with Keith's watercolour.
Photo / Doug Sherring

[www.nzherald.co.nz]

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: December 8, 2013 06:21

Damn it Keith, a felt tip pen? Really?!!
It was a pretty good picture until you stuffed it up...
and this is why we can't have nice things.

winking smiley

Posted by: colonial ()
Date: December 8, 2013 07:56

--------------
ColonialstoneNZ
--------------

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-02-17 22:52 by colonial.

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: December 8, 2013 11:29

New material and a three guitar band - I hope it becomes true ...

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: December 8, 2013 15:48

What a great story!

But, he did kinda ruin it with the felt tip pen....I certainly wouldn't want it hanging in my living room. winking smiley

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: December 8, 2013 16:00

It's much more attractive without it.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: December 8, 2013 16:05

Good job, Green Lady! I'll take that one, it will look very nice over my fireplace mantle.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: December 8, 2013 17:56

Unfortunately it's a low-definition scan and that's about as big as it will go. Never mind, maybe a bigger pic will turn up sometime.

Date: December 8, 2013 18:27

It will be interesting to hear how much some ka-billionaire pays for it at auction, but after that Dylan guitar sold for $1,000,000, no price would surprise me anymore.

Date: December 8, 2013 18:40

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: December 8, 2013 18:57

"Last artwork"? The headline writer's not keeping up too well, is s/he

I keep hearing "New album after 14 on fire".
Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: December 8, 2013 23:16

What's up with this? Is it a sure thing?

JumpingKentFlash

Re: I keep hearing "New album after 14 on fire".
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 8, 2013 23:20

Where are you hearing it?

Date: December 8, 2013 23:20

With respect, exactly where do you keep hearing this? From whom? Might there be a link or something?

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: December 8, 2013 23:24

If you haven't heard it from Mick Jagger, then you haven't heard about a new album.

Date: December 8, 2013 23:26

I know that if it's not on Stones.com or the app, it's not official. I've just had 3 friends posting about it on FB within 2 hours. Most notably was the Keithaholic from Keithaholic Records.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: Torres ()
Date: December 8, 2013 23:27

You're sure it's not tinnitus?

Date: December 8, 2013 23:30

Have you asked those FB friends where they got their info?

Date: December 8, 2013 23:54

No, I didnt. Found out it was from an interview in the New Zealand Herald though.

JumpingKentFlash

Date: December 8, 2013 23:55

Keith Richards has hinted that the Rolling Stones are to get back in the studio for a new album after the forthcoming 14 on Fire tour.
By PATRICK -
In an informative interview with the New Zealand Herald, Keith Richards has hinted that the Rolling Stones are to get back in the studio for a new album after the forthcoming 14 on Fire tour.

Keith told the Herald that he and Mick were always writing on the road. He said, "We always have some work on the go and it's about getting off the hiatus and back in the studio. I think we have plans. Don't nail me down, but I got a call from Mick the other day saying sometime this year we better get in the studio."

"When Mick and I are on the road we put ideas together and one thing leads to another. Playing live gives songwriting and recording more impetus, so I'm hoping we can come out with something great over the next few months."

That said, it recently came to light that Keith has been recording his own material with producer and long-time collaborator Steve Jordan in New York City. It will be interesting to see whether polishing off a solo album, or starting a new one with the Stones, will take priority after the tour is complete.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: December 9, 2013 00:09

<<I think we have plans. Don't nail me down>>

OK, we won't. He was also saying back in 2010 how he thought they had plans for a tour and that "everyone's ready to go".... but as we now know, even as late as spring 2012 there were no actual plans, and Charlie has admitted that he thought a new tour wasn't actually going to happen. Keith likes to view The Stones through booze-colored glasses.

However, it is true that once they have run through all their international markets they will need a new touring concept. They are unlikely to return to the U.S. and UK with the same 50 & Counting concept--not that "50 & Counting" doesn't have an open-ended, somewhat indefinite ring to it.

Or, as an alternative to peppering their set list with five or six restroom breaks off a new album, they could resort to something that might ratchet up a fresh market demand--the albums tour. Imagine if they toured Let It Bleed, followed by a brief intermission for a Keith set, then left the second half to their big hits. There would be instantly renewed demand in their U.S. and UK markets, especially if they alternate Let It Bleed and Sticky Fingers for different shows--it would be a great reason to retain Mick Taylor in the guest role.

But of course what fun would that be, when everyone just wants a new album?....

Posted by: kuenzer ()
Date: December 9, 2013 16:05

Bring on the new stuff. Publish a new album. Kick the 60s and 70s numbers, which are routine by now. Take a risk, earn maybe less money, but play something that you find interesting yourself, dear Stones. How exciting would a concert in 1972 have been with exclusively 40 year old songs, i.e. from around 1932?

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 9, 2013 18:29

kuenzer
Bring on the new stuff. Publish a new album. Kick the 60s and 70s numbers, which are routine by now. Take a risk, earn maybe less money, but play something that you find interesting yourself, dear Stones. How exciting would a concert in 1972 have been with exclusively 40 year old songs, i.e. from around 1932?

I'd personally loved to have seen that!

Posted by: kuenzer ()
Date: December 17, 2013 12:13

How about some fresh dancefloor songs?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Previous page Next page First page IORR home