Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Us lot and our Rolling Stones kids
Posted by: OzHeavyThrobber ()
Date: December 6, 2013 00:22

So I pick my six year old daughter up from school Wednesday (Perth, Aust) and the first thing from her mouth is "Daddy" to which I respond "Yes sweetheart"....."Can we go to see the Rolling Stones?" to which I reply "Ok" and to then hear her continue on to "When we get to the car can we listen to 'Brown sugar'?" at which point tears were welling in my eyes...

Re: Us lot and our Rolling Stones kids
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 6, 2013 00:25

Kyle ... please drop me an email when you get a chance

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: December 6, 2013 00:35

OzHeavyThrobber
So I pick my six year old daughter up from school Wednesday (Perth, Aust) and the first thing from her mouth is "Daddy" to which I respond "Yes sweetheart"....."Can we go to see the Rolling Stones?" to which I reply "Ok" and to then hear her continue on to "When we get to the car can we listen to 'Brown sugar'?" at which point tears were welling in my eyes...

Awesome!!!!!!

Posted by: winos ()
Date: December 6, 2013 01:02

Love your story kyle....my 2 girls are keen to see them, my eldest at 17 has seen them twice but my 13yo is keen to see Charlie as she's learning drums.

pool's in but the patio ain't dry

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: December 6, 2013 01:05

THE STONES- The Greatest Rock and Roll Band in the World... AND STILL ROLLING!!!

and now.... by request...

Posted by: LookoutMountain ()
Date: December 6, 2013 05:40

That's very cool OHT.

I had a similar experience when my daughter went to preschool (some 15 years ago). On the drive we always played Rocks Off full blast. It got both of us pumped for the day. And became a ritual, as is usually the case when kids are small. We HAD to play it every morning. LOUD.

One time my parents were visiting and took her to preschool. Dad is strictly into classical music, could not tolerate my rock & roll when I was under his roof. So imagine his suprise when his little granddaughter said, "Rolling Stones! Play Rocks off!" It had to be full blast, too. I think it pretty much blew his socks off, or so he told me.

Revenge is sweet smoking smiley

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: December 6, 2013 16:57

I can still remember years ago, I think my kid was still in a car seat, my wife's flipping radio stations and puts on some song by Journey, and out of the backseat I hear my kid say "this song sucks, put on some Stones".

We laughed all the way home (well, I laughed more than she did!).

Got to do something I never thought I'd get the opportunity to do this spring, my son's now 12 and got to take him on a road trip to see them in Chicago (2nd show). Of course we had to follow that up this summer family a trip to Cleveland to see the Stones exhibit in the R&R HOF.

Date: December 6, 2013 17:15

"this song sucks,
put on some Stones"

Words could/should be put on a shirt thumbs up

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: December 6, 2013 17:46

awesome , very good taste at such a young age . does not get any better !!!!!!!

Posted by: Bellajane ()
Date: December 6, 2013 17:51

This would be an interesting topic for a book. How generations in families loved the Rolling Stones; how kids were influenced by their parents (in a good waywinking smiley) and how they grew to appreciate the Stones and their music. Or it might be a good video to post on YouTube..interviews and all that contributed by different families.

Date: December 6, 2013 19:31

It would be interesting Bellajane, to document the Stones' influence in terms of tribal identification -- not sure if that's ever been done? something I think the 50th anniv. "fan video" clip attempted.

Along those lines this morning taking my teenager to school he tells me, "I love what you're wearing." I say "ha it's my Keith Richards look." "Yeah," he says, "the boots, the cargo pants, the scarf on your head..." "The bracelets and rings," I add, "yeah and the cravat and a skinny feminine jacket..." Wow I thought to myself he gets it -- and approves winking smiley reason being, it's a vibe that feels right for me. It's authentic expression (if not completely original) and in harmony with my person which in the end is good for kids to see. Mind you it's 7am so no kohl eye...yet hehe

Posted by: Bellajane ()
Date: December 6, 2013 19:57

This is great! Better than a book, I think a video/documentary posted on YouTube (as I said above) would be spectacular. Just like we're doing here, but only on video, people would tell their stories, kids would talk. Music, fashion, you name it. Could be hundreds of participants and, as you mentioned, perfect for the 50th anniversary. I've never met a Stone, probably never will; but I can't help but think they would take notice of this especially since they're parents/grandparents/great grandparents themselves. It's a nice tribute..they've done their job very well.cool smiley

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: December 6, 2013 20:24

My kids (12, 9 & 6 at the time) laughed at the Stones when they played the Super Bowl and were especially critical of Mick's "dancing"...

Fast Forward...

"Moves like Jagger" becomes a huge hit and although my oldest daughter (then 16) didn't particularly like the song, knowing I'm a huge fan of the Stones, she came to me and asked me to and asked me to let her borrow "something" so she could she what all the "hype" was about. I gave her Hot Rocks, Disc 2.
A couple hours later she came back and said something to the effect of, "OK. I think I'm starting to get it."
I asked her what she meant.
She said, "Well, I don't think I realized that they did ALL those songs. They all really good but 'Wild Horses' was beautiful, 'Midnight Rambler' was SCARRY GOOD and 'Gimme Shelter' was AWESOME! I had to put headphones on and listen to that a second time."
I told her, "I think you got it."
She then asked, "So what's next?"
I gave her Brussels Affair and never saw either disc again.

Fast forward...

When London & NYC 2012 were announced, she asked if there was an actual tour, would I take her this time (I took her Mom to her first Stones show Memphis-05). I told her that if I went, she could go to. Logistics and Finances kept us out of the 2013 shows but she & I are both hoping for one more run which might get them a little closer to us. It warmed my heart when I heard her reply after a friend asked her "Why would you want to see a bunch of grandfathers pretending to be rock stars?" my daughter replied, "Because any rock star you're thinking of wishes they were the Rolling Stones and those grandfathers will still blow their asses off the stage". Such a good girl. Her mom & me are so proud.

Last fast forward to current...

When it came time for her to leave for college this past fall, after we bought her a laptop for school she came to me and asked me to load all my Black Crowes (her first "real" concert) and Rolling Stones so she'd have them at school. Knowing how much that was going to be (a lot!), I jokingly asked, "Anything else?"
"No. That should be enough to survive the semester with".

Such a good girl.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: December 6, 2013 21:03

mr_dja
My kids (12, 9 & 6 at the time)
Fast Forward...

I told her, "I think you got it."

Fast forward...

When London & NYC 2012 were announced....

Last fast forward to current...

Such a good girl.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Such a good Dad! smileys with beer THAT is success, good job.

Date: December 6, 2013 21:28

thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up well done

Sadly I can't get my kids to PLAY Stones music or be Stones' fans (I offered tix; no takers when they came to our town) though they don't object to my playing it. And I am careful not to overplay it cause I don't want them to do as I did with my father's classical preference, and resent my music! However, early influences make an impression. I ended up loving classical music and knowing quite alot about it just by osmosis -- now it reminds me of Dad in a good way. It's really important that music speaks to you, then you identify with it and claim it on your own terms. It's tough to expect teenagers to adopt our tastes as parents. DJA's laid back strategy (if you could call it that, probably not intentional) was just the right "exposure" to light the flame.

Date: December 6, 2013 21:42

One other thought about DJA's story about the newest generation's appreciation of the Stones, is how someone like Adam Levine comes in and does an homage to Mick Jagger from a pop/dance music(?) pov. It frames the Stones/Jagger in a totally different way than we are used to as long-term fans. Most younger listeners don's even know who MJ is -- and the snippets in the MLJ video is likely their first impression of him. In that context, without actual Stones music, the video does not capture the Stones energy or meaning as originally intended -- how could it? We are in a different time. BUt there is something compelling about the image of Jagger dancing along to Levine and Christine Aguilera that is more compelling as a mash-up than the Stones' own video for Doom & Gloom. So kind of an inadvertantly successful PR benefit for the RS. As pop-y as Levine and Maroon 5 have become, I think Moves Like Jagger is well done on its own. If it makes people curious about the guy in the jumpsuit and glitter makeup that's a good thing too.

Date: December 8, 2013 11:17

hahahaha

"this song sucks,
put on some Stones"

Great stories people. My little one's fave is "She's a rainbow" and even has a t shirt with that on it.Bought her her first Stones and Beatles t shirts before she'd turned 1.
Guess she really had no hope on that front looking back. I like to think I didn't brainwash her but I wasn't exactly playing Lady Gaga for her either. Bad daddy!

And yes she know the Maroon 5 track all too well. Thrashes it. Still. I piss her off by singing "Moves like Daddy". The things we do grinning smiley

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: December 8, 2013 15:58

My son was strumming his guitar last night, I'm not paying too much attention, and then I hear the opening chords to Laugh I Nearly Died.

I do love that boy. smiling smiley

Posted by: Limbostone ()
Date: December 8, 2013 22:07

My little girl is 5 weeks old now...

My wife bought her a nice little Stones t-shirt, which will be perfect on her by summertime...

It was my wife's good deed that brought a tear to MY eye. winking smiley

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 8, 2013 23:19

Limbostone

My wife bought her a nice little Stones t-shirt, which will be perfect on her by summertime...

It was a few year's ago now, but we got the red stones 'onesie' and the "Mother's Little Helper" bib.

Great stuff!

Date: December 9, 2013 03:12

Limbo you slut! How are you mate?

5 weeks old ha? It's awesome hey mate? Being a parent is the best thing ever and seeing my little girl wearing Stones t shirts and Beatles t shirts rocks.

At the age of 3 she once got in the car and asked me to put on "She said she said" as I'd been playing Revolver a lot at the point and I thought "yeeeees". Her fave song from 2 was "Penny Lane" and it all went from there.

That said she's responsible for getting me into Pink. Who I admit to now liking....be gentle with me please.

And no treacle I wouldn't let my daughter date a Rolling Stone....one of there grandchildren with all that money eventually coming their way I might let happen though >grinning smiley<

Posted by: Limbostone ()
Date: December 9, 2013 14:11

Hey Kyle, it's you right?

All fine here, haven't been on IORR much since the last tour actually. I tried to grow up. Well at least I got married and became a father.

If your daughter takes after her dad so well, I suggest next birthday you get her an account on IORR. Writing here will form her sense of humor, reason and cynism more than any grammar lesson could! (She'd have a good teacher I know).

smiling smiley

Posted by: georgeV ()
Date: December 9, 2013 22:57

I wanted to take my 8 year old in 2013 but she said no thanks. At thise prices, I did not argue but I hope they come back so I can try again.

Date: December 10, 2013 01:58

OzHeavyThrobber
Limbo you slut! How are you mate?

5 weeks old ha? It's awesome hey mate? Being a parent is the best thing ever and seeing my little girl wearing Stones t shirts and Beatles t shirts rocks.

At the age of 3 she once got in the car and asked me to put on "She said she said" as I'd been playing Revolver a lot at the point and I thought "yeeeees". Her fave song from 2 was "Penny Lane" and it all went from there.

That said she's responsible for getting me into Pink. Who I admit to now liking....be gentle with me please.

And no treacle I wouldn't let my daughter date a Rolling Stone....one of there grandchildren with all that money eventually coming their way I might let happen though >grinning smiley<

I don't blame you one bit! Hey, I noticed that my rather irreverent post seems to have been 'quietly removed'. I guess it hit a nerve with someone...glad you weren't offended as that wasn't my intention!

Date: December 10, 2013 06:27

Hey treacle yes I just assumed you must have removed it for some reason. I'm bewildered if it was removed for supposedly "inappropriate content" on the site. I wasn't offended (couldn't see how someone could have been actually) at all and find your posts most refreshing. You've also planted a seed. My daughter's cousin goes to school with Ron Wood's grandson...their grandchildren, and great grandchildren are in my sights...

Yes Limbo tis I. Not been much happening re the Stones so not been here much at all for the last 7 or so years. Read a lot just never bothered posting. I was Monkey Man but can't remember what my password is. Plus I think I may have been booted off for being naughty or something smoking smiley I look forward to shooting the breeze with you here again mate.

Date: December 11, 2013 08:52

Kind of you to say Senor HeavyThrobber. Yes, I noticed it was taken down, not my doing. I guess someone took it the wrong way, not my intention but glad you weren't offended!

Carry on with the stones indoctrination!

I've inadvertently turned my little ones on to jazz as I've been listening to that quite a bit lately. I got the comment that our living room 'sounds like Starbucks'..., although they have a far greater 'stones knowledge' than they'd ever care to admit. They are only 7 and 6!

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: December 11, 2013 20:44

treaclefingers
Limbostone

It was a few year's ago now, but we got the red stones 'onesie' and the "Mother's Little Helper" bib.

Great stuff!

Yeah, we got my kid the "Little Sticky Fingers" shirt way back when too...and the kids plastic plate/bowl/spoon set too (he still regularly uses the bowl!).

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: December 11, 2013 22:34

[www.youtube.com]

And years later in Hyde Park

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: December 12, 2013 08:18

Oh, pass me the sick-bucket, please eye rolling smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1856
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home